PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-09-2012, 02:11 PM #43
Matt.is.back2011
#IBelieve

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjm4 View Post
If your primary concern is equity in funding, then we need to get away from funding schools through property taxes and move toward having them funded on a per-pupil basis at a set rate, and that could be handled by the states with the federal government supplementing the poorer states with grants. That could be done with a much more streamlined and cheaper system than we have now. I suppose we could have a system of federal guidelines for education standards too, but beyond that, I see no need for the Dept of Education to exist.
I never stated my concern was funding. We spend more per capita on students than any other country. My main point is that the root cause of "poor educational performance," has very little to do with the government providing an education, and much more to do with outside factors. I also think that the Dept. of Education has a role to play, but it has obvious flaws and can be improved (as with most gov't agencies). Completely dismantling it and saying, "well let states/towns decide for themselves, the free market will choose whats best," isn't really a solution to me, it's just a talking point.

Last edited by Matt.is.back2011 : 02-09-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Matt.is.back2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:37 PM #44
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt.is.back2011 View Post
A few things.

1. Competition in what regard? Schools competing, or students competing with their peers to get out of their poor predicament? The latter happens everyday, just on a small scale and our tax dollars often go to waste on students who have no intention of doing better regardless. Letting the failing fail could be a solution, but if it is, Republicans/Conservatives need to be honest about their intentions.
All of the above. Competition in most respects is a good thing.

Republicans and conservatives in general need to come out and say "Look, we don't want to throw money at you to provide the basic necessities. By doing so, we would only be communicating one thing, you aren't good enough to care for yourselves. We are calling you, albeit indirectly, losers."

Quote:
2. Education is 40% direct instructional (teachers), 40% parenting, and 20% student. I don't think the federal government has failed in teaching the core curriculum to our students; sure Japanese and Chinese students overall are doing better, but that doesn't mean that the best and brightest Americans aren't going on to be doctors and engineers. It's a personal choice.
Federal policy has failed. It is based solely on a one size fits all philosophy.

Quote:
3. You're right: the BARE MINIMUM to get a HS diploma is pretty easy. However, that's where good parenting comes in and a desire to be successful. Is algebra easy? For most, yes. But does your school also offer accelerated courses? Calculus? AP classes such as Lit, Chem, Physics, Econ, Government? Those are all VERY challenging, and SHOULD be offered to all students if they wish to take them and improve themselves. All in all, lot's of things in life are easy if you take the easy route; if you want to get the most out of your situation, take advantage of the opportunities presented. Public education is no different.
My school offered AP courses. I'm glad they restricted them to well performing students. That way you didn't have the pace slow down each time someone had a rudimentary question. In my experience, comparing my AP courses to those which were not AP that friends or others had taken, I will say that it amounted to little more than an increased pace and increased work load. Perhaps with the exception of physics and chemistry, which both delved a bit deeper into the subjects. All in all, I don't think they are quite worth the high mark they are given.

Quote:
If I had my way, to fix test scores in this country, and improve life overall, I'd substitute all of the funding that goes to schools in poor and rural areas, and re-direct it to boarding schools. Areas with low test scores correlate to areas riddled with crime, drug usage, or rural country where upward mobility is not a high priority. If we remove students at a young age from these negative environments and put them in boarding schools, i believe we could improve the nation's overall intellect and utility three-fold in the span of a single generation. See Agassi's Boarding school in Nevada as a model of success on how to improve education.
I think this ain't too bad of an idea. At the very least I see it as a step in the right direction.

Quote:
However, that will never happen, and blaming the gov't for the current educational standards isn't really a solution to the problem; it's more or less a buzz word to get conservatives fired up.
I don't intend to put the blame solely on government. Our government is a reflection of ourselves.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:42 PM #45
marcozombie

http://www.theonion.com/video/embarr...arack-o,27193/
Old 04-15-2012, 06:19 PM #46
steve h

steve h plays in the APPA D5 division
keep pbnation free of politics!
steve h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:54 PM #47
mylifefire
K5 Los Angeles

mylifefire owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
mylifefire plays in the APPA D3 division
I agree with what Iamamartianchurch has posted. Some education can done at home from a lap top and tested later. I bet you could get a liberal arts education just from googling around the internet. You can fit an entire library on an Ipad. Maybe the education of the future wont require an actual school to attend. That would cut down on costs. Why do we have 200 dollar text books? Why do you have to go into debt to get a degree? I wouldnt go so far as to say education should be free but I think knowledge should be free and it is to some extent on the internet already.

Ka Funf WCPPL Event 4 2012 Mix
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKZz0ZdwpUU

"The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutly free that your very existence is an act of rebellion." Albert Camus
mylifefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:18 PM #48
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Education does more than simply present you with information.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:59 PM #49
$h@key J0nEZ
Southern By The

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve h View Post
keep pbnation free of politics!
Nice of you to spam bump this months old thread.

The moths & atheists are doubly divine & dying” - Jim Morrison
$h@key J0nEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:53 PM #50
Swerve22

has been a member for 10 years
What are you guys talking about Obama is an honest, principled man.

www.gunfacts.info
Swerve22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:01 PM #51
SupraSuper
Celebrate Diversity

There is no point in debating Obama/Mitt 2012. There is no way Mitt Romney can beat Obama. Americans will just never elect him, and the Republican party should be embarrassed that he's going to make it out of the primaries. He got manhandled by McCain's campaign, and his record is so abysmal and similar to Obama's that he can never develop an honest contrast between himself and Obama.
SupraSuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:03 PM #52
$h@key J0nEZ
Southern By The

I'm American and as much as I hate to say it, I'll take Romney over Obama. Just say No to Obamacare. Luckily Romney hasn't sewed up the nom yet so RP ftw.

The moths & atheists are doubly divine & dying” - Jim Morrison
$h@key J0nEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:16 PM #53
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraSuper View Post
There is no point in debating Obama/Mitt 2012. There is no way Mitt Romney can beat Obama. Americans will just never elect him, and the Republican party should be embarrassed that he's going to make it out of the primaries. He got manhandled by McCain's campaign, and his record is so abysmal and similar to Obama's that he can never develop an honest contrast between himself and Obama.
I disagree.
Like any challenger to an incumbent, all Romney's campaign really has to say is: "are you better off now than you were 4 years ago?"

...or they could always go with this:

Last edited by The Inflicted : 04-18-2012 at 07:20 PM.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:29 PM #54
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by $h@key J0nEZ View Post
Luckily Romney hasn't sewed up the nom yet so RP ftw.