Old 04-14-2012, 10:09 PM #1
Empire's Ghost
Philly Onslaught

Empire's Ghost owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Empire's Ghost supports Team VICIOUS
Empire's Ghost supports Team VICIOUS
Empire's Ghost posts videos on PbNation
Empire's Ghost plays in the APPA D5 division
Hey nation! I have a stiffi barrel that is loud as hell. Im pretty sure this is because it has NO porting. My question is, could i take a drill and make porting? Have a drill press and a regular drill with many different drill bits. I have an idea of how to do it, would it damage the barrel? Please help!

Last edited by Empire's Ghost : 04-14-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Empire's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-15-2012, 06:47 AM #2
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

Annual Supporting Member
It is possible, however, when you go into the project remember you are working with a fabric and not a metal, so keep that in mind as you drill. So, you don't want to make giant holes, keep them small.
One thing, you don't have to add a lot of porting to make a difference, I own a CP which has very little porting and it reduces the sound enough to prove how little porting you need. The CCI phantom barrel has even less, most of the noise comes from the gun cycling.
Also, keep in mind that the ego is going to be a lot louder than the demon no matter what you do since most of the noise comes from around the bolt.
Paper_Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:29 AM #3
Mr. Stealthy

Mr. Stealthy owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
It is very easy to damage the barrel while drilling with porting. One of the reasons stiffi uses such small porting as well is to prevent unraveling of the threads. Stiffi uses a thinner sidewall than a lot of the competition (hence why they are lighter). I would strongly recommend not doing this as you are most likely going to ruin your barrel either during the process, or later on down the line.

The barrels are in my opinion not comparably louder than a lot of the other barrels on the market and are much quieter than some but to each is own.
Mr. Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote