Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-08-2012, 12:46 AM #1
PinkNinja

New guys mag-fed, bullpup, self-contained, X7 project

I've lurked this site for about half a year. Thought I'd join and share my current project.

Copied from x7og.net

So..... Who like's bullpups, mag fed, self contained X7's?

***Disclaimer.
I'm a broke college student on Gov't funding. So money is non-existent (Because I'm legally not allowed to have a job {so I build fast cars on the side}). Everything is done by me with my own tools and 8 years of welding and fabricating.
(If I get any of my terminology wrong, please respectfully correct me, I don't play well with asshats)

Here's my project I'm starting. Internals are completely stock with the exception of a nice shiny inside.

First order of business. Since I'm so broke right now, in order to achieve my goals I had to cut off the folding stock. (I couldn't get the pin out to take it apart)....

In the band saw you go mofo!

I'll dismantle the marker and chuck that end piece in my lathe and true it up.

Next order of business was to shorten up my ASA... I felt it was to long
Can someone measure the stock X7 ASA for me? I forgot to measure mine before I went a head and got tool happy.

This was just a quick rough cut.

I took some measurements a few days ago on how much I can remove from the stock ASA. Turns out I can go just a hair passed the threaded hole.

In the lathe you go!

Quick, rough layout of how things will be.
Overall length at this point is 21'' 7/8''... Approximately.

I plan on sourcing another barrel. Preferably a nice ported barrel. That way the shroud that I'll be building can double as a "hush-hush" device.

So any recommendations on a nice (longer) ported barrel? (One that already helps in the noise department)
PinkNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-08-2012, 12:47 AM #2
PinkNinja

Quote:
Originally Posted by sQuidVision
Very cool! I love me a bullpup... Home brew even more... And magfed is icing on the cake! I can't wait to see you finish bit up!

Also I edited your first post... Asshat won't get you in trouble here, but trying to circumvent the seward filters will. Considder this a friendly reminder.
I'm attempting to try to get as much done as quickly as possible. All while trying to get more racecars to build to pull in some money. Having this done by June-ish would be ideal.

Thanks for the friendly reminder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire
Might affect your accuracy, but probably not noticeably. Try a Micro Flasc kit and ported 9" extension or a Gen 2 ported Flasc barrel. They're similar to the SQB TM15 barrel, which reportedly makes the TM15 very quiet. You could also go with a Hammerhead M50 muzzle on a super short barrel, which would assist in putting the sound/air exhaust back into your shroud. All these things are $$$ though, so I'm not sure how to accomplish said task on a budget.

I think this is an amazing concept. I'll be keeping an eye to see it completed, but you're off to a great start. I especially like the air on gun idea. This is potentially the most compact magfed non-pistol we've seen. Reminds me of one of the SMGs from Borderlands.
As noted above. Hopefully I can get some more racecar work to put a little money in my pocket for this.
Right now the only part I will spend any money on is the barrel. AS the barrel will dictate the whole design of the shroud. Internals can wait.

I'm going to look into those barrels and the others mentioned so far.

I'll admit that I kinda like having the total marker length under 24''.
However, I would like to hush this marker as much as possible so I might extend the overall length from 22" to 25" or 26".

The marker is going to carry this shape throughout the body.

Once money permits I'll also be adding a second 13ci tank underneath the first. Which will either have an on/off valve, or the marker will just run two tanks at once.

I originally wanted to run 4 12g CO2 cartridges, but I was convinced it was better to use a 13ci HPA.

If I could only get my hands on 2 8ci tanks.....
Old 04-08-2012, 12:48 AM #3
PinkNinja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire
The bottom one looks similar to what you've got set up so far:
I'm digging that bottom one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderviking
you've got some nice tools in your fab shop there. i got me the same type of bandsaw, and its pretty excellent.
Shop = My tiny *** one car garage...

Sometimes makes working on cars very difficult.

What you can't see is lathe #2, my tube bender (well you kinda can), the welder(s) and a few other things.

I machined the end piece.

No more katana like edges... I hate aluminium sometimes.

Sometime this weekend I think I'm going to start making body numero uno. It'll just be a "practice" piece so to speak. Made from 16ga cold rolled sheet steel and MIG welded.

Then when my TIG gets back from repairs I'lll either make an aluminium or stainless body.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:49 AM #4
PinkNinja

And this is where I am as of tonight.

So I made a template for the first half of the body.

This shape will likely carry through right to the end of the buttstock.
But it will divided into two sections. The front, will go as far as where the barrel threads into the receiver and then use the two quick release pins. The rear, will go from the front half to the stock. Then each section will spilt apart in the same fashion the receiver does.

I'm going to use all the stock quick release pin locations to hold the body to the marker. And then hopefully add a few more to hold everything together.

The final product will not have the barrel recessed, but come damn near flush.

Cheers
Old 04-15-2012, 05:38 PM #5
robot0ninja

this is awesome, any updates?

"Originally posted by Tempted: The length of the barrel."

GoPro Hero 2 for sale
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...705&highlight=
robot0ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:46 AM #6
FallenHero_08
KCCO

Annual Supporting Member
awesome idea! but why all the work on an x7? why not go with a simple electronic design like a g3/4 or ion?