Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-04-2012, 09:42 AM #1
Ninetails
RAWR

Ninetails has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Ninetails has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ways to increase phantom efficiency?

hi all, i'm considering getting back into paintball again, and i'm probably gonna get a phantom.

what are some ways besides using a properly bored barrel to increase the efficiency? the phantoms i used before always got around 25 or so per 12 gram. is there a way to increase that to say... 50? or more?

edit: and also, who makes phantom barrels besides deadlywind? i'm wanting to put a duckslide kit on the gun too and want to have part of a barrel sticking out. (one with a flute hopefully)

Last edited by Ninetails : 04-04-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Ninetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2012, 11:08 AM #2
Nahib_Stilgar

Best thing to do is to get your barrel bored for freak inserts. This will allow you to properly match your paint to your bore, wich in turn will help your efficiency a great deal!
There are a number of people here who will bore a standard phantom barrel for pretty cheap.

A few other things to consider are the valve system you are going to use. VSC is the most popular but a drop out will net you 1-2 shots more and a BBA will net you a further extra 1-2 shots and an old trracer BBA...might squeeze you another shot...maybe...

Make sure you use QUALITY 12gs. Lelands, or MOSA are the best. They are always properly filled and they are food grade, meaning no gunk to mess up your clean internals...

Speaking of which...Always make sure your internals are clean. You can even polish the bolt and the hammer, just make sure you don't go to far overboard and remove the protective coating on the parts.

A few phantom/nelson nuts I know swear by the use of Ranger power tubes. They are bored out larger and allow a quicker burst of air, close the cupseal faster and are supposed to work a lot better for short barrels...good for duckslides...

Fluted hammers and open faced TPC are other options as well to stretch out a couple of shots.

FPS helps too. set your velocity to 270, fast enough to get the job done and save a bit on gas! As a pumper you should be up in the enemies face anyway so the extra velocity for distance is not as big a loss.

But you should easily be able to achieve 30-40 shots at 270fps with a clean VSC, or drop out using good 12gs in decent weather.
Nahib_Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:30 AM #3
Ninetails
RAWR

pardon my noobness, but which company does tpc?

and do companies like hammerhead make a barrel that would work? it'd be really cool to add a "surpressor" on there.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:50 PM #4
Ninetails
RAWR

no one else?
Old 04-05-2012, 08:17 PM #5
bronze
copper alloy

bronze donated to help Peyton Trent
Basically underboring, flutted hammer, and opened face TPC will increase efficiency, but not 50 shots per a 12 gram.

flasc makes threaded phantom barrels, even better is a 678 or 681 bore. heres my phantom with a 678, deluxe apex adaptor, and apex 2 barrel.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:42 PM #6
Ninetails
RAWR

and running the 12g from the back increases efficiency again right?

i'd like to at least get a full tube and 2 spare tubes. so like 35.

and pardon my noobness, but what is a tpc? i'm not fmailiar with nelson designs.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:06 PM #7
THE Biscuit

THE Biscuit owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
THE Biscuit owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
A drop out valve body is going to be the most efficient valve body for 12g.
Getting 35 good shots from a 12g is not unheard of for Phantoms.
TPC= Tuned Port Compensator.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:27 PM #8
bronze
copper alloy

You can do 35 shots without going too crazy on mods. First is good quality 12 grams. Lelends are very nice and gets most bang for buck. A quick google search can find a place selling them for about 40 cents each. Then using a good paint to bore match is another great step. You can bore the stock phantom barrel for freak inserts. Nice summer day you'll get 35 easy
Old 04-06-2012, 01:41 AM #9
ziggymarley
FATBOY!!!!!!!!!!

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninetails
and running the 12g from the back increases efficiency again right?

i'd like to at least get a full tube and 2 spare tubes. so like 35.

and pardon my noobness, but what is a tpc? i'm not fmailiar with nelson designs.
The standard TPC on a Phantom has 3 holes that route the air from the powertube. An open TPC has the head drilled onto allow a direct flow of air. It can be rougher on paint but helps with efficiency.

Originally posted by Idiosyncrisia
"And btw, firefox's spell check is ftw. if it wasn't for that, this post would be totally illegible."

PBNation Feedback, thanks
ziggymarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:58 AM #10
PureInsanity
dElish.

i've owned 3 phantoms. 2 had roughly 32 effective shots per 12g, and my most recent one got around 25(overbore bigtime).

i thought low 30's were normal numbers.

edit: first two were chrono'd ~285, the last one (the one with 25 shots) was eyeballed.

Play Pump

Last edited by PureInsanity : 04-06-2012 at 04:00 AM.
PureInsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:34 AM #11
Nahib_Stilgar

You should be able to hit 35 shots easy on a phantom.

You can get open face TPCs from Air Soldier Parts (ASP) or possibly from Super Stanchy?

I believe both also do fluted hammers.

One other think I should mention is you should always hold your pump handle forward to close the bolt completely and eliminate any blow back and wasted gas.
Nahib_Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:13 AM #12
bronze
copper alloy

Low 30 are normal for any phantoms. Just with todays paint being so tiny, detent rings can only do so much. Getting a tighter bore barrel will allow to make up for the small paint. I wouldn't worry about the TPC or hammer right now. Pick up leland 12 grams, and go play
Old 04-06-2012, 07:49 PM #13
Ninetails
RAWR

but see, i haven't gotten back into pb yet. i only have mask and pants right now.

so drop out valve, fluted hammer, bored out tpc, small bore barrel, and lelands.

i'm thinking of flasc for the barrel, since he has the tips and the stormtrooper one looks nice.

what numbers should i expect in florida with nice paint? roughly 40?

Last edited by Ninetails : 04-06-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:24 PM #14
pump
I don't play pump lol

pump is a founding member
12 gram out the back, Bob the valve/decrease volume in the air chamber
pump is offline   Reply With Quote