Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-04-2012, 02:10 AM #1
i got an ion
RIP Royals

i got an ion plays in the PSP
i got an ion plays in the APPA D3 division
So...HB 2012..

kinda sick of all these threads with everyone bashing on the event..

a couple of gripes ive read and heard:
-only 3 fields
-crappy turf
-crappy refs
-cost too much to watch

honestly, id like to thank the NPPL, i think HB 2012 was much better than 2011.

they obviously only needed 3 fields, i dont remember seeing or hearing or experiencing a single field being behind schedule. Last year teams played into the night, later than at Vegas. i thought the refs did a great job of keeping it all running smooth and getting teams in the chrono early and making sure sides were chosen etc.

Their turf will be a bit ratty, but i remember playing xpsl 2008 at SC Village and the Rockstar field was in the sand pit area. I can truly say that i would much rather play on average turf than straight on the sand. We are lucky to be playing on turf, ive noticed that atleast in my area just in the past 3-4 years have turf fields been popping up. Players today are just spoiled by that.

Refs being too lenient or calling too many penalties happens in EVERY SPORT EVER, IT WILL NOT GO AWAY. Our sport is too fast pace for everyone to be happy by a call made and we cannot simply call a penalty and start the play over... from what i saw most people who got the penalties deserved them. IMO there should be more penalties for people talking after they're dead or in the dead box as well as having a gun in the deadbox. The rules are plain and simple, we all know them and most of us have played tournaments before, now were at something national: why would the rules have changed? if anything they will be more strict.

As for the cost of watching being too high, it was slightly ridiculous. As players we should get free entry to the grandstands i believe, but we are also able to watch perfectly from the pits, which is better IMO. Maybe if they cut it down a little and maybe put a sign of where to get tickets it would work out better.

I will gripe about some of the netting though... i was standing on the wooden walkway behind field 1(nearest the entrance to the pits, not the paint truck) and was hit by a ball that came through a hole in the net, right above my eye and was surprised that it didnt break it hit so hard. Later in the event a teammate was hit standing a couple feet away from where i was when i got hit. i did see they fixed many holes in the net with zipties and that works fine, maybe these were new holes.

All in all, great event, my entire team was very pleased and had a blast and we look forward to Chicago/DC/Vegas.

DMG Red 2013:
3rd place NPPL HB D2-7 man
1st place WCPPL Vegas D3-Race to 4
1st place PSP Riverside(WCO) D3 Race to 4

Capital Edge Paintball Park(CEPP)
i got an ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:56 AM #2
Shawn_Savage
RUSHian Mob

Annual Supporting Member
Shawn_Savage plays in the PSP
Shawn_Savage plays in the APPA D4 division
Shawn_Savage is Legendary
Amen to that. I thought the event ran amazingly. It was ahead of schedule on the lower divisional field. Games were in and out.

With that ahead of schedule, my complaint there was that when our game finished, it put us in the hole so games were almost back to back. Our first 3 games played out within a 25 min time span.

The turf, imo, was amazing. The sand gave me some awesome traction. It was far, far from level, but I thought it all worked out great.

The refs could not have been more on top of their game. They were lenient on our field with the hand on the head rule but these guys were so on top of things it was insane. Some were more strict than others about things like tucking in your undershirt into your pants and if your pants were torn you couldn't play. Others were just on top of gameplay and making the calls that needed to be made. I thought they did an amazing job.

My only real gripe was that spectators couldn't really watch the d3 field. I had to add everyone to staff because the beach was roped off on the other side. I had family fly out there to come watch and we were only allotted so many staff spots so it got tricky.

Overall, I don't see how anyone could complain about this event. Tony Mineo completely changed the face of NPPL for the better.

Picked best team 2011 by NTex PBreview
Picked best reps of Texas 2012 by NTex PBreview
Shawn_Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:33 AM #3
PureVia
Alone & Hungry

PureVia owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
PureVia is for the Gunfight
PureVia supports Pev's Paintball
same here, me nor the team I play for had any problems at HB, besides the paint on sunday. but that was our fault not sizing it up. other then that it was a smooth event.

STORMRIDERS 329

DEFACING FOR: Ground Assault Paintball Park,The Meadowlands Paintball,AKA MEDIA,VALKEN, HKArmy
PureVia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:40 AM #4
adamnewff
CaNt ToUcH DiS

adamnewff plays in the PSP
Smooth event.

Fix the chronys. Lots of trouble with them over the weekend
adamnewff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:53 PM #5
JD9940
Forever an AA's Fan

JD9940 supports Cereal Killerz 2
JD9940 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
JD9940 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
JD9940 plays in the APPA D4 division
JD9940 supports DLX Technology
-only 3 fields
all games were over each day before it started to get remotely dark, no need to set up another field

-crappy turf
i didn't think to turf was all that bad. plus that sand underneath made it really soft. i actually liked the turf...

-crappy refs
i saw ONE bad call the whole event. Refs did a good job in the games i played in.

-cost too much to watch
pretty standard rate for a paintball event. field 2 and 3 were free to watch too.

-brands of paint available
i see too many people *****ing about this. my team shot Valken Pro and it was VERY good for us. I talked to people that shot APX and was told it worked very well for them. there's nothing to complain about in regards to the paint for this event.

-ROF Chips
kind of a pain in the ***. being forced to purchase additional chips for backup guns at $60/chip is lame, no way that tiny chip costs $60. personally my gun had no problem with the chip, but there are some horror stories going around that need to be addressed. plus downtime between games were very short which meant there would be no time to pull out a backup gun and have it chipped in time should a gun go down.

-ID Cards
i might be the first to gripe about this online, but i know i'm not the only one affected by it. i paid for my ID over a month before the event and uploaded a photo as soon as the photo upload portion of NPPA went up. I get to the event on Wednesday to pick up my ID and get a paper "temporary ID" and am told my real ID will be available Friday. I arrive Friday looking for my real ID and get told it's still not here, will be here Saturday. Saturday I again try to acquire my real ID and this time I'm told "our printer ran out of ink, we'll have to mail it to you"
I'm not gonna make too much of a fuss about this right now, but my NPPA # is 00000007. I was the 7th person to register for the site and somehow i didn't get a real ID printed?? not to mention the run around i was given for 3 days.

Action Star Games
JD9940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:10 PM #6
**GP**
G.I. Sportz

Annual Supporting Member
**GP** works for a Paintball manufacturer
**GP** plays in the PSP
**GP** owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
**GP** is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
**GP** is Boss
-ID Cards
i might be the first to gripe about this online, but i know i'm not the only one affected by it. i paid for my ID over a month before the event and uploaded a photo as soon as the photo upload portion of NPPA went up. I get to the event on Wednesday to pick up my ID and get a paper "temporary ID" and am told my real ID will be available Friday. I arrive Friday looking for my real ID and get told it's still not here, will be here Saturday. Saturday I again try to acquire my real ID and this time I'm told "our printer ran out of ink, we'll have to mail it to you"
[/quote]

same

G.I. Sportz sweeps the 2013 PRO divisions at World Cup. X-Factor, Impact and Heat 1st 2nd and 3rd!!
G.I. Sportz the
"Unfair Advantage"

G.I. Sportz Imperial paintballs the "UNFAIR ADVANTAGE"
**GP** is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:01 PM #7
PureVia
Alone & Hungry

PureVia is for the Gunfight
PureVia supports Pev's Paintball
dont feel bad I didnt get a dang ID nether when they told me come back for it they told me they printers was down and they'll send it by mail to me. which I know they not.

STORMRIDERS 329

DEFACING FOR: Ground Assault Paintball Park,The Meadowlands Paintball,AKA MEDIA,VALKEN, HKArmy
PureVia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:43 AM #8
i got an ion
RIP Royals

i got an ion plays in the PSP
i got an ion plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD9940 View Post

-brands of paint available

-ROF Chips

-ID Cards
as for paint, the Valken was too brittle for my gun, when i switched to APX i had alot of bounces, but thats the way the cookie crumbles.

the ROF chip situation is going to be sketchy forever, especially when it comes to when you sell/trade your gun, are you gonna need to buy a new chip? can we talk to NPPL if we both play and have the chip # switch from them to me etc.?

and last but not least ID's.... i didnt upload my photo or pre pay for the ID, i didnt last year for HB either. Last year i received my ID 10 minutes after my picture was taken, this year they told me to come sat, i was told the same thing. I wasnt distraught about this because i waited to get to the event to pay so it was my fault.

BUT ON THE PLUS SIDE OF ID CARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

on field 3 they were actually being checked... not that they had a picture so i couldve given my card to anyone, but we were asked to have ID cards out and ready. This was MY FIRST TIME EVER HAVING MY ID CHECKED AT A TOURNAMENT ANYWHERE EVER BEFORE(NCPS, CEPL, XPSL, WCPPL, NPPL) that was not at registration. I hope they continue to check them, obviously it will be more effective when they have pictures. But just even for this, i give NPPL a I consider $60 i spent on the ID card worth it, even if the chrono ref was just bull****ting it to make it look like he was doing his job.

DMG Red 2013:
3rd place NPPL HB D2-7 man
1st place WCPPL Vegas D3-Race to 4
1st place PSP Riverside(WCO) D3 Race to 4

Capital Edge Paintball Park(CEPP)
i got an ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:52 AM #9
calidrifter
Bloody Wooden Pickles

calidrifter posts videos on PbNation
calidrifter is reppin' sidebar 4 life
calidrifter has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
calidrifter is a top reviewer
calidrifter supports DLX Technology
I dont think its too much of an issue. I lent my back (Etek3) up to one of my team mates (Legend) and had no issues in the transfer.

I hope that event prices go lower cause having to pay for another chip come vegas will be kind of a pain. But I guess if I have to then I will just toss it into the Etek so that they each have their own chip in them.

"Originally posted by B*FordPRO: I dont read the manuals to guns, I just shoot them and hope they work. If not, I have a tech do that for me. (This is what you call baller status and I am a baller)."
calidrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:04 AM #10
jonboy01 (Banned)
Swoop!

jonboy01 plays in the PSP
jonboy01 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
jonboy01 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
The chips are good all season, maybe next season so ive heard
jonboy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:56 AM #11
Shawn_Savage
RUSHian Mob

Annual Supporting Member
Shawn_Savage plays in the PSP
Shawn_Savage plays in the APPA D4 division
Shawn_Savage is Legendary
It would be nice to see that 25% increase in entry drop down now that we have chips and just let people buy them individually now.

Picked best team 2011 by NTex PBreview
Picked best reps of Texas 2012 by NTex PBreview
Shawn_Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:07 PM #12
SubZeroMan
631 RIP

has been a member for 10 years
SubZeroMan owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
SubZeroMan plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn_Savage
It would be nice to see that 25% increase in entry drop down now that we have chips and just let people buy them individually now.
For the win!!
SubZeroMan is offline   Reply With Quote