Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-11-2012, 06:24 PM #1
buckknuckle

Newbie Tippman Alpha Black???

Hello,i am new to the forum and paintball as well. Some of my friend and family are getting into it and i think it looks great. I am possibly looking into the tippman alpha black marker. My question is , Is this gun semi-automatic as stock? Or do i need to get the Egrip? Any other info would be greatly appriciated..thank you
buckknuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:31 PM #2
510waffles
Call Me Maybe

510waffles owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
510waffles owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
510waffles has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
510waffles supports DLX Technology
its semi auto as stock however unless you really would like the feel of a military feel gun i would avoid it.
510waffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:38 PM #3
ZachLLC55

ZachLLC55 is for the Gunfight
ZachLLC55 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ZachLLC55 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
yeah, they're a little heavy and unbalanced. i would look for something along the lines of a spyder or possibly a used vibe if you're going for something less expensive
ZachLLC55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:49 PM #4
azhector

azhector is playing at Living Legends VI
azhector owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
azhector has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
azhector is a top reviewer
get an azodin, you wont be sorry. some spyders are really good but their products are hit or miss with quality, i would suggest asking into specific models (i dont know which ones are or id give you some names)
Old 03-11-2012, 08:33 PM #5
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet

2nwyka posts videos on PbNation
2nwyka has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I am going to ignore these people above me and recommend the Alpha Black. It has a stock and a nice-looking shroud, which saves a lot on upgrade expenses if you want lights, sights, or other accessories. Also, the Alpha Black is fairly good on air (as good as a Tippmann can be...), and doesn't have a lot of recoil or jump. I've played a few games with one and really liked the feel of it. The grip was ergonomic and the overall feel of the marker was good. However, if you don't really like military-style guns (I do, I don't play with Spaceguns), I would recommend a Spyder or a Piranha.

Yes, the marker is semi-automatic, as all other mechanical paintball markers are. If you get it with the e-grip, then you get into fire modes and options. It is an open-bolt blowback (there's a few articles on this drive system in my sig) and uses 98C barrel threading. It comes apart in the standard Tippmann manner, with receiver halves containing the components. There's a gas-through magazine (I think, I can't quite remember the setup...) that has the M-16/M4 style ribs and release. Any more information I can give you, just ask!
Noah
Rocking drop-forwards like they're going out of style...oh, wait...
Proud Pumper since 2011
2nwyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:35 PM #6
PaintballCarl
Carl

PaintballCarl has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
PaintballCarl has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nwyka View Post
I am going to ignore these people above me and recommend the Alpha Black. It has a stock and a nice-looking shroud, which saves a lot on upgrade expenses if you want lights, sights, or other accessories. Also, the Alpha Black is fairly good on air (as good as a Tippmann can be...), and doesn't have a lot of recoil or jump. I've played a few games with one and really liked the feel of it. The grip was ergonomic and the overall feel of the marker was good. However, if you don't really like military-style guns (I do, I don't play with Spaceguns), I would recommend a Spyder or a Piranha.

Yes, the marker is semi-automatic, as all other mechanical paintball markers are. If you get it with the e-grip, then you get into fire modes and options. It is an open-bolt blowback (there's a few articles on this drive system in my sig) and uses 98C barrel threading. It comes apart in the standard Tippmann manner, with receiver halves containing the components. There's a gas-through magazine (I think, I can't quite remember the setup...) that has the M-16/M4 style ribs and release. Any more information I can give you, just ask!
Noah
This guy knows what he's talking about.
PaintballCarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:49 AM #7
cpt_crunch

cpt_crunch has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I hate the alpha black. Get a BT or a spyder MR or almost any other tippman instead. The alpha black is one of the only things Ive ever picked up that feels both heavy and cheap. Its awkward, unbalanced, and uncomfortable. It's ugly. It's got 98C guts in a junk body. The sight rail is not removable, the barrel shroud is plastic junk, it has no rails on it. The magazine is not gas through and you have to squeeze to remove it. This may sound like just flaming but I honestly cannot think of enough negative things to say about the alpha black.

But anyway, the only markers you will find that are NOT semi auto are called pumps or pump actions. These are much less common.
Lover of All Things Paintball

Last edited by cpt_crunch : 03-12-2012 at 12:07 PM.
cpt_crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:44 AM #8
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

You may want to look into the JT Tactical too.
It's essentially the same thing as an Alpha Black or BT Omega but for considerably less money.

Personally I'd rather have something that doesn't have a bulky fake magazine and CAR stock, but if you're dead-set on getting the milsim look, that's your most cost-effective option right now short of buying used.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:54 PM #9
CFindsen12
comewipeitbro

CFindsen12 is playing at Living Legends V
CFindsen12 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
CFindsen12 supports Pev's Paintball
It comes on semi-automatic default. Without E-Grip, that's all it does. If you were to get the E-grip or nothing else, I think you should get a Spyder Fenix.
CFindsen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:16 AM #10
Henrybg
Son of the South

Annual Supporting Member
Henrybg plays in the PSP
Henrybg supports Cereal Killerz 2
Henrybg is an NCPA player
Henrybg plays in the APPA D4 division
Henrybg is Boss
Henrybg is All In
Henrybg owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Alpha-Blacks are semi; the only markers that aren't are typically pump markers or broke pieces of ****. If you want to get into paintball and prefer rugged tippmann markers I recommend purchasing an X7 phenom. FYI for everyone else the Alpha Black is an unbalanced, plasticy, rebranded tippmann 98c for the U.S. Army brand. Trust me the milsim half of the USMA club is sponsored/uses tippmanns and prefer the X7 phenom. You want to talk about customization and something that will last you longer in the scenario category look no further.
Henrybg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:42 AM #11
Coenen
K-K-k-k-YEAH!

has been a member for 10 years
Coenen supports Cereal Killerz 2
Coenen supports Team VICIOUS
Coenen plays in the APPA D4 division
Coenen has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrybg View Post
FYI for everyone else the Alpha Black is an unbalanced, plasticy, rebranded tippmann 98c for the U.S. Army brand.
This.

I'd shoot a 98 Custom, or whatever it is they're calling the 98 these days, over an Alpha Black any day of the week, and twice on Sunday. They're the same gun on the inside, and the Custom's got much more convenient packaging on the outside. Easier to handle, easier to strip down, easier to play paintball with.

Also, unless they've made some recent changes, the Alpha Black has no on-board rails for mounting...anything. I believe it's the more expensive Project Salvo that has all of the rail mounts and whatnot on the shroud as stock.

If you want a Tippmann based gun, stick with the genuine articles, the 98, A-5 and X-7 are where you want to be, not any of the licensed knock-offs.
...and it's gone.
Coenen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:55 AM #12
Amphibious Warlord

I have an Alpha Black, and I believe it's a good value if you're into the milsim look. Overall, I think the Alpha Black is a great value for the price. Sure it's a dolled up 98 custom, but I prefer the look and feel of this gun over the 98. I do a lot of running around so this gun gets beat up pretty good. I've beat the s*** out of this marker and it still performs great. I've had it for around 2 yrs and never had any problems. I think it's a good priced marker whether you've been playing for years, or you're just getting started. I'll let you know about some of the things I've done to mine in the following.

First thing I did was put a sling on it. It's just nice to be able to walk around in between games and not have to carry it in my hand. I've heard a few people say that the Alpha Blacks weight is an issue for them. It's never bothered me, but if the weight is an issue for you, a sling should help you out. You can use about anything as a sling. I've heard of people using straps for old duffle bags, and even guitar hero straps.

As far as barrels go, I use a flatline and a J&J. I have nothing but good things about the J&J barrel. They are an incredible value at around $30. If you plan on getting one, make sure you get one with the 98 custom threads so it fits your Alpha Black.

Here's a little about the flatline barrel. It takes some time. You have to set it up just right, and it also takes some work to master the thing. I still haven't myself. It will add quite a bit more range to your Alpha Black. Some people like it, others don't. I rather enjoy it myself. I've put an extra o ring on it in order to help hold it onto my Alpha Black better.

Something else I added is a Cyclone feeder. It works well, and I am happy with it. It increases my rate of fire, and that's pretty much why I wanted it. It also appealed to me because it doesn't require batteries. It does what it's supposed to do, and it's nice to have but...If I could do it over again, I might get an Invert Halo Too instead. I feel for the money, the Invert Halo Too is a better buy, and does more for you. The reason being is because if I get another marker, I can still use the Invert Halo Too. With the Cyclone I'm really not able to do that unless I get a Tippmann.

I also have a remote line for my Alpha Black. I felt like the tank was in my way. I didn't have the room I wanted between the tank and the stock. Even with the stock fully extended. The remote line eliminated the problem for me. I think you've got to do what works best for you. Also, a remote line will help you out again if the weight of this gun is an problem for you. It lightens your load for sure.

Also, if there's anything you want to know about the Alpha Black, visit alphablackforum.com. There is a ton of info there, and the people are very helpful. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Amphibious Warlord : 04-01-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Amphibious Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:12 PM #13
R3D3V3LOP3D
Dirty Swag

R3D3V3LOP3D owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
R3D3V3LOP3D plays in the APPA D5 division
R3D3V3LOP3D supports DLX Technology
There is nothing wrong with an alpha black as a first gun. If you like the mil sim look than this is a must. It comes semi auto but you could upgrade it with an e trigger, but that is unnecessary at first.
R3D3V3LOP3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:59 AM #14
YeloSno
ALT Bazaar - Coming Soon!

Annual Supporting Member
YeloSno is playing at Living Legends V
YeloSno is playing at Living Legends VI
YeloSno supports Team VICIOUS
YeloSno is for the Gunfight
YeloSno is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
YeloSno is attending Decay of Nations VI
Nothing wrong with the Alhpa black at all, if you like the looks, go for it.

I, personally, would look at other options first, if not, then if you get the Alpha black, first thing you must do for it is buy a new barrel. Nothing expensive or fancy, it can just be a 10" CP 1 piece tactical barrel in .685 bore (actually a damn good choice for a milsim gun as the barrel is of good quality and only $40) for all anyone cares, but EVERY AND ALL barrels made by tippmann are pure crap. Don't believe me? Shoot one. I buy/sell tippmanns/US ARMY/BT guns more than any other. Hate the guts out of the stock, supr wide bore, crap quality and finish barrels.

AVOID ANY ELECRONIC UPGRADE ON A MECHANICAL MILSIM GUN LIKE THE ALPHA BLACK. THE EGRIP WILL JUST TURN THE GUN INTO A BLENDER THAT COST YOU $70 MORE. Instead, invest in an aftermarket bolt and RVAP (deadlywind) for the gun. The difference is huge and will prevent any major inconsistencies with CO2 and eliminate ball chopping (the stock bolts in US Army guns are also quite the fail. Very thin walls to the bolt, so it sometimes acts as a knife with nicer or older paint and just rips them open inside the gun. not cool man).

Thinking of Buying Something, But Don't Know What?
Have A Look Inside for Some Help.

Sale so good you'll get a ****in' coma trying to find your wallet.

ALT Bazaar
A new top secret project that isn't so secret. Brought to you by the creator of the Ultimate Purchasing Hierarchy and TBQF Technologies.

"Originally posted by Somnambulistz: i'm not wearing any underwear! :D"
YeloSno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:59 AM #15
Amphibious Warlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeloSno View Post
Nothing wrong with the Alhpa black at all, if you like the looks, go for it.

I, personally, would look at other options first, if not, then if you get the Alpha black, first thing you must do for it is buy a new barrel. Nothing expensive or fancy, it can just be a 10" CP 1 piece tactical barrel in .685 bore (actually a damn good choice for a milsim gun as the barrel is of good quality and only $40) for all anyone cares, but EVERY AND ALL barrels made by tippmann are pure crap. Don't believe me? Shoot one. I buy/sell tippmanns/US ARMY/BT guns more than any other. Hate the guts out of the stock, supr wide bore, crap quality and finish barrels.

AVOID ANY ELECRONIC UPGRADE ON A MECHANICAL MILSIM GUN LIKE THE ALPHA BLACK. THE EGRIP WILL JUST TURN THE GUN INTO A BLENDER THAT COST YOU $70 MORE. Instead, invest in an aftermarket bolt and RVAP (deadlywind) for the gun. The difference is huge and will prevent any major inconsistencies with CO2 and eliminate ball chopping (the stock bolts in US Army guns are also quite the fail. Very thin walls to the bolt, so it sometimes acts as a knife with nicer or older paint and just rips them open inside the gun. not cool man).
I would agree with you about getting a new barrel. I'd go with a J&J one piece barrel. For $30 they're amazing. They're high quality, they shoot straight, and they are quiet.

They are also self cleaning. What I mean by that is when you have a barrel break, you'll notice that your paint won't usually come out right. It'll curve until you stop and squeegee your barrel. With a J&J you don't have to deal with that. You can keep shooting, and the barrel will clean itself enough to where your paint will come out straight.

I'm not saying you are not going to want to clean your barrel, but with this you don't have to stop in the middle of a fire fight. You can keep on going, and never lose your target because of stopping to clean your barrel. With the J&J, you can stay on target and keep shooting. Your first few shots will still hook and curve, but after a few shots, you'll get your accuracy back.

I actually have J&J for all my markers.

Also, I've never had a problem with my Alpha Black chopping paint. I don't think it ever has, and I've put quite a bit of paint through it.

You might also one to check out a Spyder of some sort as a gun to start out with. Like the Spyder Fenix. Very good value for the price.

Last edited by Amphibious Warlord : 04-02-2012 at 08:07 AM.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:57 PM #16
Paintman15
Justin

Paintman15 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Paintman15 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Bro, your not getting ANY help from the people giving you their own biased opinions. Personally, you couldn't pay me enough to play with the Alpha Black, but there are people that will tell you the opposite. Get out there if you have a shop and/or field nearby, and see if you can test shoot some guns, or at least HOLD them. One piece of advice that I will give you, is that whatever gun you get, don't immediately start sinking all kinds of retarded upgrades into it, especially some of those gun specific ones, because I can almost guarantee you that if you stick with the sport, you WILL want to upgrade from your starter gun eventually.

Well, there's my 2
"A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work. Uh, I'll call BS. You ever seen Deadliest Catch? I don't know many accountants that get plunged into 40 degree water and end up with all their friends drowned. And you can always make any scenario worse by adding 'and then a roller coaster cut my head off'. Just saying".
-Daniel Tosh

If you can't beat 'em, might as well eat 'em, cause no one's getting out alive!

-Sick Puppies
Paintman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:34 PM #17
YeloSno

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintman15 View Post
Bro, your not getting ANY help from the people giving you their own biased opinions. Personally, you couldn't pay me enough to play with the Alpha Black
lolwut.

ALT Bazaar
A new top secret project that isn't so secret. Brought to you by the creator of the Ultimate Purchasing Hierarchy and TBQF Technologies.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:37 PM #18
YeloSno

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amphibious Warlord View Post
I would agree with you about getting a new barrel. I'd go with a J&J one piece barrel. For $30 they're amazing. They're high quality, they shoot straight, and they are quiet.
I feel it. I like their barrels, but all their one piece barrels are a really wide bore (.691 iirc) so they're not exactly friendly on air and consistency.

ALT Bazaar

Old 04-03-2012, 01:46 PM #19
Coenen
K-K-k-k-YEAH!

has been a member for 10 years
Coenen supports Cereal Killerz 2
Coenen supports Team VICIOUS
Coenen plays in the APPA D4 division
Coenen has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Did you really just talk about air efficiency and consistency, while we're talking about a Tippmann? The whole thing isn't friendly on air, OR consistency, I don't think swapping barrels will hurt it that much more.
...and it's gone.
Coenen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:59 PM #20
Paintman15
Justin

Paintman15 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Paintman15 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by YeloSno View Post
lolwut.
I don't like them. My friend has one and it's given him some trouble. Of course, he ain't exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer, so it could just be that he didn't take care of it, but whatever. But if i was going to play with a tippmann, I'd just use a 98c or a5. Like, I said, just my opinion,
"A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work. Uh, I'll call BS. You ever seen Deadliest Catch? I don't know many accountants that get plunged into 40 degree water and end up with all their friends drowned. And you can always make any scenario worse by adding 'and then a roller coaster cut my head off'. Just saying".
-Daniel Tosh

If you can't beat 'em, might as well eat 'em, cause no one's getting out alive!

-Sick Puppies
Paintman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:28 PM #21
Amphibious Warlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintman15 View Post
I don't like them. My friend has one and it's given him some trouble. Of course, he ain't exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer, so it could just be that he didn't take care of it, but whatever. But if i was going to play with a tippmann, I'd just use a 98c or a5. Like, I said, just my opinion,
Just curious, but why would you go with a 98c over an Alpha Black? Internally they are the same thing.