Old 03-31-2012, 12:19 AM #22
DeadeyeDante
Booper of Noses...

DeadeyeDante is playing at Living Legends V
DeadeyeDante is playing at Living Legends VI
DeadeyeDante is playing at Living Legends VII
DeadeyeDante has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
DeadeyeDante supports Empire
Never had a problem playing woodsball, although my speedball skills could use some work, but htat will come with time :-P.

Best advice I can give, is don't always hug a bunker in woodsball. The fields are so much more open and so much more dynamic then in speedball, that if you stay pressed to one piece of cover you are going to miss the squad of guys who are flanking you. Sit back a little bit away from cover, I usually go 3-7 feet out depending on the size of cover. It allows me to see a more open area of the battlefield, and make moves depending on what my opponent is doing. You can afford to do this in woodsball, due to the longer ranges and different angles. If you start recieving fire, find out where its coming from, and then change your position and stance as you figure it out. Plus, being away from a bunker allows you to move and change field position at the drop of a hat, allowing you to be much more mobile and effective on a quick offensive push.
E-Flex Army
DeadeyeDante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-31-2012, 11:13 PM #23
nerdcore
Radical!

has been a member for 10 years
nerdcore is playing at Living Legends VII
nerdcore is a top reviewer
I'm in the same boat as the op. Came from playing mostly speedball with a few scenario-type games (not in the woods), to joining a group of guys that primarily play woodsball/scenarios only in the woods.

Style is very different. Lots more patience, lots less reliance on man-made bunkers. Today was my first day playing with these cool dudes, and the pace & strategy is way different. I noticed a lot of what someone previously mentioned - jog to the boundaries, walk the rest of the way so opponents don't catch all the movement. That alone placed people in good positions.

The biggest change, obviously, is all the brush & foliage. Even if you see someone, you still don't have clear shots half the time. So i'm learning the necessity for patience while navigating the terrain for better shots & still trying to sneak up on folks.

Also learned how to use any size tree for cover, regardless of placement. As groups of trees align at certain angles, they effectively create a "wall," blocking line of sight. When they align like that, and you happen to have an opponent behind that blocked line-of-sight, you can advance by walking towards the "wall" and not be seen. Of course, if they see you beforehand, probably not a good idea to keep advancing that way.

Last edited by nerdcore : 03-31-2012 at 11:16 PM.
nerdcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:28 PM #24
Paintman15
Justin

Paintman15 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Paintman15 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Thanks. Never really thought about the tree thing. It's sort of like dead spotting in airball. By the way, I see you're from Nashville, do you ever come to MTP in spring hill?
"A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work. Uh, I'll call BS. You ever seen Deadliest Catch? I don't know many accountants that get plunged into 40 degree water and end up with all their friends drowned. And you can always make any scenario worse by adding 'and then a roller coaster cut my head off'. Just saying".
-Daniel Tosh

If you can't beat 'em, might as well eat 'em, cause no one's getting out alive!

-Sick Puppies
Paintman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:43 AM #25
loneassassin
A Grim and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdcore View Post
The biggest change, obviously, is all the brush & foliage. Even if you see someone, you still don't have clear shots half the time. So i'm learning the necessity for patience while navigating the terrain for better shots & still trying to sneak up on folks.
This made me think of another important skill/attribute in woodsball -- if you can't hit them, don't try. A lot of times, you're simply out of range, but also in a lot of cases, you don't have a chance in hell of hitting someone -- because there's too much crap in the way.

Noobs to woodsball tend to shoot all the time even if they have no chance of hitting someone. This just alerts the other team to where they are so they can make a tactical maneuver on them. In woodsball, I tend to not shoot until I'm sure there's a very good chance of an elimination. And sometimes, I'll even forgoe a single elimination because I know more people are coming; and why not take out 3-4 guys instead of just one???

When I see someone flanking me, I often pretend I don't see them. No, I let them think they have the element of surprise, so they'll stick their neck out a bit more...

All of these strategies are impossible to implement if you're blazing away like a bloody idiot at everything that moves.

My halfblocked Trilogy pump:
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...6/P3250486.jpg
loneassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:41 PM #26
DJ_Bizarre
-Knuckles- GotKills?

Annual Supporting Member
DJ_Bizarre owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
DJ_Bizarre has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
DJ_Bizarre has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
DJ_Bizarre has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
DJ_Bizarre has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I have to differentiate my style when I play speedball and woodsball because sometimes I get too agressive in the woods and it actually puts me in a terrible postion for pressuring te other team too much, and they can tag you from so many other angles because the lanes arent as defined
Old 04-03-2012, 12:50 PM #27
TwinsPoppa

Annual Supporting Member
TwinsPoppa plays in the PSP
TwinsPoppa plays in the APPA D4 division
Movement is key. In woodsball, once your position is given away, you should be moving to another position - otherwise you'll get overrun.

Also, try to one ball them as much as possible to get more kills from that position.
TwinsPoppa is offline   Reply With Quote