Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-02-2012, 06:08 PM #1
Splatkid10

Damage vs Dynasty OT round

Had a question about the OT round from this Sunday in Dynasty's game versus Damage.

From a coaching and tactics perspective, how were your roster decisions for the OT round made? I mean, as a fan, I may have just expected some 3 person combo made up of Greenspan, Lang, Rau, and Fraige. Just curious how that decision was made.

Also, why the choice to be aggressive instead of slightly more conservative? Personally I liked that choice and find conservative games not only boring to watch, but not exactly in keeping with how paintball is played.

Just trying to improve my mental game, thanks for the info.

-splatkid
Splatkid10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:59 PM #2
RoseyNZ
Mid/Snake

RoseyNZ is playing at Living Legends V
RoseyNZ owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
RoseyNZ has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
RoseyNZ has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I'd say the Agressive stance was to get the angles and put Damage on the back foot. The thing is though, you've got to be able to dominate, push up and close.

Conservative is fine if you have the paint and patience to sit and wait for them to get frustrated and run into your guns.

I unfortunately didn't see the game, so can't really commment with certainty. I would have done a basic breakout to stand up bunkers and then waited till it was a 3v2 and start pushing.

Would be good to hear their reasoning behind it, but they might not put that info up on public boards.
RoseyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:41 AM #3
jgill07

jgill07 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
jgill07 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatkid10 View Post
Had a question about the OT round from this Sunday in Dynasty's game versus Damage.

From a coaching and tactics perspective, how were your roster decisions for the OT round made? I mean, as a fan, I may have just expected some 3 person combo made up of Greenspan, Lang, Rau, and Fraige. Just curious how that decision was made.

Also, why the choice to be aggressive instead of slightly more conservative? Personally I liked that choice and find conservative games not only boring to watch, but not exactly in keeping with how paintball is played.

Just trying to improve my mental game, thanks for the info.

-splatkid
Yeah, you are not going to get Hinman on here waxing strategy for you, but you get us armchair coaches instead. My take is this:
I. Personnel:
AS you know, Hinman went with Wake (front snake), Dalton (front dorito), and Greenspan (center dorito command center). Many were surprised that Fraige and/or Lang were not out there, and I was too frankly, but I think Hinman had a couple reasons for the personnel choice: 1) he wanted to push hard, so he wanted his front guys out that are the ones that had been pushing their respective sides all weekend and know the territory; 2) he didnt want anyone out of position (similar to #1); and 3) he didnt want to tip off to damage what his plan was on either side (for instance: going with Rau and Wake would suggest a snake push, and going with Lang and Dalton might tip off a dorito surge).
II. Strategy:
I just think the play was a curveball - I think Hinman wanted to go with surprise, attack and aggression over sit back and let JRab or someone do something crazy. Thats sort of Dynasty's trademark: coordinated aggression. So off the break, I think Wake was intentionally conservative, to draw the lanes, but not risk an elimination, while Dalton was aggressive with Greenspan backing. I actually think the gameplan was good, and the execution was good to start, as Greenspan and Dalton were on Damage's brick 2 and center aztec when Dalton got picked off. I dont know how, but the execution collapsed when Dalton got picked off on the edge of the bricks. From there, Greenspan got bunkered and Wake was toast.

I dont have any inside scoop or expert credentials; I just watched most of the tournament in person and all of it a second time on video (I took some video myself too). So thats my 2 cents, but I have been wondering the same things myself (hence my elaborate thoughts above heheh). I also welcome peoples' opinions...

Last edited by jgill07 : 04-03-2012 at 02:44 AM.
jgill07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:04 AM #4
Splatkid10

I'm not expecting any sort of play book or key to the universe. I understand how some info is proprietary and would want to remain private. I guess I'm asking why did you decide to throw a corner end zone pass instead of run it in...just get a feel for the overall strategy.
Splatkid10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:30 PM #5
Trump Money
Goonies Never Say Die

Trump Money plays in the PSP
Trump Money plays in the APPA D4 division
Even the Yankees lose games. They'll come back up.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:41 PM #6
Dkepp™
OG

Dkepp™ plays in the USPL
Dkepp™ plays in the PSP
Dkepp™ owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Dkepp™ plays in the APPA D3 division
looking at a standard view of it most people would have expected oliver to be in there but I think that they went with who was hot at the time, and it seemed that dalton, zack, and ryan(always) were playing good at that point. It seemed that oliver wasn't playing all that great. and I think that if the strategy was to go aggressive then they made the right personnel choices since zack and dalton where their push players on this layout, and if they were looking for a more conservative game plan it would have been more of a ryan, yosh, and maybe oliver or alex lineup. but if it were my call I would have gone with glenn, yosh, and ryan. for the reason that they don't get shot often.
Dkepp™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:21 PM #7
viking002
Da Sigma

viking002 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
viking002 posts videos on PbNation
viking002 plays in the APPA D3 division
Anyone know why Crunchy didn't play with them at HB?
Old 04-03-2012, 11:26 PM #8
pauliate

pauliate plays in the PSP
he played with arsenal
pauliate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:02 AM #9
808_PB

808_PB supports Team VICIOUS
808_PB supports Team VICIOUS
808_PB has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
808_PB is attending Decay of Nations VI
Personally I am a huge fan of Zack and Dalton but 2 front and very aggressive players aren't really what you want in a 3vs3. If I were Hinman I would put in 2 gun fighters and one aggressive guy.

1 player:Zack/Dalton
2 players:Yosh/Oliver/Ryan
808_PB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:17 AM #10
viking002
Da Sigma

viking002 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
viking002 posts videos on PbNation
viking002 plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauliate View Post
he played with arsenal
Yea, but why? It makes no sense to me.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:12 PM #11
jgill07

jgill07 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
jgill07 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by viking002 View Post
Yea, but why [did Crunchy play with Arsenal]? It makes no sense to me.
Dude, Im wondering the same thing. I think Dynasty picked him up (at least for the PSP squad) because Mouse wanted to take time off. Im confused also though; if mouse was going to be playing NPPL, why didnt he do it with dynasty? They really couldve used him, as he carried arsenal - he absolutely lit it up, whether he was locking down from the center dorito, calling shots from the car wash, or filling snake, he played as consistently as anyone in the tournament at HB.

Last edited by jgill07 : 04-17-2012 at 04:11 AM.
jgill07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:13 PM #12
Paintman15
Justin

Paintman15 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Paintman15 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Sorry for the revive, but you'll get over it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkepp™ View Post
looking at a standard view of it most people would have expected oliver to be in there but I think that they went with who was hot at the time, and it seemed that dalton, zack, and ryan(always) were playing good at that point. It seemed that oliver wasn't playing all that great. and I think that if the strategy was to go aggressive then they made the right personnel choices since zack and dalton where their push players on this layout, and if they were looking for a more conservative game plan it would have been more of a ryan, yosh, and maybe oliver or alex lineup. but if it were my call I would have gone with glenn, yosh, and ryan. for the reason that they don't get shot often.
I am a big Oliver Lang fan, but I would never turn to him to close a game. He is one of those players whose greatness comes in spurts. About 10% of the time he is running down the field, dominating the other team (or to quote Chris Lasoya "[making the other team] get Oliver Lang'd" :p"), and the rest of the time he's getting shot. He perfected that style of play, and its made others such as jrab famous (sorta), so I'm not dissing it, it's just that I dont think I'd have him in the game. I agree with you on Glen, Yosh, and Ryan.
"A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work. Uh, I'll call BS. You ever seen Deadliest Catch? I don't know many accountants that get plunged into 40 degree water and end up with all their friends drowned. And you can always make any scenario worse by adding 'and then a roller coaster cut my head off'. Just saying".
-Daniel Tosh

If you can't beat 'em, might as well eat 'em, cause no one's getting out alive!

-Sick Puppies
Paintman15 is offline   Reply With Quote