Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-01-2012, 04:07 PM #1
watnut

Power Supply for Anodizing

Guys this is my first post,but I have visited here off/on reading all the info on how to anodize aluminum.One of the post that I have been reading started back in 2004-present.That is amazing that one post just goes on/on and each person adds alittle more info updating it.Since I'm new to this subject and never have anodize anything,the info is never outdated.The only things that I can add to this section is not information but more questions
POWER SUPPLY:Since I really don't know what I need I will ask for your help.What I would like is to anodize small parts up to something 12"x12" and 1/8-1/4thick plate,as the small parts go anything smaller than the plate,and I really don't need to anodize it as fast as possible just in a reasonable amount of time(day?).I was hoping to start off my setup using a battery charger but from what I have read that the amperage really needs to be adjustable or have some type of control over the amount to match the size of alum being anodize.Far as the voltage is concern,all I need is something that is 12v output(correct?)I have look on ebay for used but the definition of Power Supply covers alot of area.HELP if you can shed some light on this please let me know what to avoid and what is needed and what is just alittle to much and I really don't need that fancy stuff.If you see something on ebay that would work for a beginner please point me in the right direction.Thanks guys----Watnut
watnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-01-2012, 05:21 PM #2
WKS01
Green to White Technology

WKS01 is a Supporting Member
WKS01 donated to help Peyton Trent
Check out the forums on caswellplating.com. The anodizing forum is full of helpful information and people that know how to anodize correctly.
WKS01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:48 PM #3
acidrain

acidrain is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Yes, join us at Caswell's forum. They coach LCD (low current density) type II, which is perfect for home anodizing. It uses a CC PS (constant current power source) as the basis, which is better for home anodizing since most people don't have the equipment of knowledge to titrate the ano tank (a complex method of measuring the exact acid strength and dissolved aluminum content needed to run voltage based anodizing)
To answer your question, always use your largest run as a guide to what size power source is needed.
You mentioned 1' sq., which is approximately 2 sq. ft. of part (a little more for the edge, but let's keep it simple).
At 6 amps per sq. ft., you will need a PS capable of 12 amps for the entire run of 2 hrs (using the 720 rule, it take 2 hours to build 1 mil at 6 amps CD).
Also, at 1:3 battery acid/water, and at 68F, your peak voltage (6061 alloy) will be around 15 volts.
Since you want a little lee way, I would look for a PS that was CC (a control knob for amps) that was 15 amps, and 20 volts.