BOOBY GT FOUNDER

f8al plays in the PSP
f8al donated to help Peyton Trent
f8al owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
f8al owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
f8al posts videos on PbNation
f8al supports our troops
Getting into paintball photography

I am looking at getting into photography (paintball more specifically) and am curious what people's opinions are on Nikon vs Canon and entry models in each (T1i/T3i/D5100 etc)

I appreciate everyone's help ahead of time.
Email Me For All Your Paintball Needs

My posts are my thoughts and mine alone and should be interpreted as such. They do not reflect the company I work for or any companies I represent.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-03-2012, 04:57 PM #2
outkast kid

outkast kid is a Paintball photographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by f8al View Post
I am looking at getting into photography (paintball more specifically) and am curious what people's opinions are on Nikon vs Canon and entry models in each (T1i/T3i/D5100 etc)

I appreciate everyone's help ahead of time.
Canon > Nikon for sports photohraphy. Every.single.time. Canon shines at entry-level cameras, DSLR video and sports photography. Nikon still has a solid hold on photojournalism and studio work, their sensors produce cleaner images imo. However, I find Nikon's firmware and physical camera layout to be really clunky and annoying to use when changing settings on the fly. Also you might pay up to twice as much for Nikon glass, it's mucho expensive and their are more compatibility issues with Nikon lenses and bodies.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:11 PM #3
f8al
BOOBY GT FOUNDER

f8al plays in the PSP
f8al supports our troops
Ok, so I will look at Canon more closely then, thanks man.

Any model suggestions for getting started and probably buying used?

My posts are my thoughts and mine alone and should be interpreted as such. They do not reflect the company I work for or any companies I represent.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:27 PM #4
pbjunkiee
Go big or go home

L.o.l.
can't believe you just made that comment James.......

st:p hk trollfest 8-29-11
Old 03-03-2012, 05:36 PM #5
Striker9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjunkiee
L.o.l.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:41 PM #6
ionshooter93
✈ ✈ ✈

ionshooter93 is a Paintball photographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjunkiee View Post
L.o.l.
CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK
Old 03-03-2012, 06:02 PM #7
outkast kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by f8al View Post
Ok, so I will look at Canon more closely then, thanks man.

Any model suggestions for getting started and probably buying used?
A t1i or t2i rebel will do you nicely and not break the bank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjunkiee View Post
L.o.l.
Hey man, I'm just trying to take into consideration that this guy isn't going to be looking at a D3 or D700 as a first camera. On the higher end scale, Nikon is absolutely amazing and pretty much owns Canon who is now just putting out a decently fast FF body ala 1DX. For just starting out in paintball photography you can't really beat what Canon offers on the low end. I would rather put my face through a plate glass window than use a D3100. This is an open forum, you guys could rebut instead of poking me with sharp sticks
Old 03-04-2012, 12:22 AM #8
Tom )TCO(
Old School

Tom )TCO( is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by outkast kid View Post
A t1i or t2i rebel will do you nicely and not break the bank.

Hey man, I'm just trying to take into consideration that this guy isn't going to be looking at a D3 or D700 as a first camera. On the higher end scale, Nikon is absolutely amazing and pretty much owns Canon who is now just putting out a decently fast FF body ala 1DX. For just starting out in paintball photography you can't really beat what Canon offers on the low end. I would rather put my face through a plate glass window than use a D3100. This is an open forum, you guys could rebut instead of poking me with sharp sticks
we'd all rather see you put your face through glass than poke you
Old 03-04-2012, 08:06 PM #9
Zorel
Insert Custom User Title

Zorel is a Paintball photographer
Quote:
Canon > Nikon for sports photohraphy. Every.single.time. Canon shines at entry-level cameras, DSLR video and sports photography. Nikon still has a solid hold on photojournalism and studio work, their sensors produce cleaner images imo. However, I find Nikon's firmware and physical camera layout to be really clunky and annoying to use when changing settings on the fly. Also you might pay up to twice as much for Nikon glass, it's mucho expensive and their are more compatibility issues with Nikon lenses and bodies.
Damn no wonder why my pictures look so ****ty it's because I use a Nikon Btw these were taken with a D60. Don't believe anything james has said. Troll has been trolled

Old 03-04-2012, 08:51 PM #10
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa

Basically you have just asked a forum full of people, who ride their respective bandwagon, which brand to buy. You are pretty much never going to get a solid answer from them (see above).

My advice is that you take your time when deciding which camera to buy. Utilize borrowlenses.com (or any other similar business) which allows you to rent and try whatever you'd like. It's a big purchase, so there is no sense in paying out a lot of money for something that you've never touched or tried out.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:03 PM #11
f8al
BOOBY GT FOUNDER

f8al plays in the PSP
f8al supports our troops
Thanks for the additional input guys. Are there any other sites I should look at to get a better feel for which device to buy?

Old 03-04-2012, 10:21 PM #12
PaintedSaint
lsdpsilocybinmarijuanadmt

buy a sony
blog.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:19 PM #13
Mike Grenade

Mike Grenade is a Paintball photographer
Just buy a camera. Any camera that has a digital sensor and an interchangeable lens mount. Use that while you learn about photography and how to shoot paintball, a tough game that drives most people to quit early.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:22 PM #14
xander2188

xander2188 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
xander2188 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
there is not as much of a difference between the brands as everyone is making it seem like imo. I prefer canon because of the price of glass, the selection of canon brand lenses, and I prefer the layout of the bodies. I think entry level canon is better because you have access to some really solid lenses for under 500$ that nikon doesnt have.

Maybe it is just me, but I am not as enamored with the d3/d700 photos as everyone else. Dont get me wrong, it is a great camera but at work that is what all of the photographers have and I personally don't find the image quality to be better than my 5d2 or any other high end canon. You can tell the difference between the 2, but I would not say that nikon is slaughtering canon at the high end. But then again I dont pixel peep photos.

My advice is just get a camera because by the time you really start dumping money into it, you will know what you need and what you prefer. Just starting out, I gurantee you won't be limited by your gear. Buy a camera, read some photo books, and just get out and shoot is all you need to do.

I say get a canon 40d or 50d used and spend the rest of your budget on glass. Or get a t1i, t2i etc if you want video. 60d is the best entry level canon imo if you are buying new, but I would recommend refurb to save a few bucks. Nikon I dont know specific models so i cant help you there.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:30 PM #15
outkast kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorel View Post
Damn no wonder why my pictures look so ****ty it's because I use a Nikon Btw these were taken with a D60. Don't believe anything james has said. Troll has been trolled
Far from trolling and I think you're taking things a little out of proportion. Literally every paintball photographer that I personally know who started out with a low end Nikon as switched over to Canon.

I never knocked Nikon's image quality, quite the opposite really, I think their sensors have Canon beat. The photos you posted don't really have any weight as a good photographer can make just about any piece of gear work how they want it to. On top of that, I was on the same sidelines as you shooting that same event and I know the lens you were using had a four figure price tag which had way more to do with the image quality than your D60 did.

My advice of buying Canon over Nikon for a first, low end, budget camera stems from 1) Canon's cameras being extremely easy to navigate and use right out of the gate; 2) Nikon's glass being more expensive which is something a budget photographer needs to worry about; 3) Nikon's lens compatibility issues as some bodies have a built in motor, some don't and the same goes for lenses. With canon, buy any APS-C body and use all Canon's lenses. Buying a low end Nikon means forfeiting AF on any lens that doesn't have a built in AF motor OR paying more money for the same lens with an AF motor.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:15 AM #16
K.Y.L.E
alaskan kitten.

K.Y.L.E has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
K.Y.L.E has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
K.Y.L.E has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
1) Canon's cameras being extremely easy to navigate and use right out of the gate;
Any Nikon from the D90 up has a control panel on top, with a click wheel directly underneath to quickly change ISO, shutter speed, and your f/stops. How much faster could it be?2) Nikon's glass being more expensive which is something a budget photographer needs to worry about;
You can always find glass on sale, and bhphoto, as well as adorama match prices. Often times you can find great used glass on photo forums. 3) Nikon's lens compatibility issues as some bodies have a built in motor, some don't and the same goes for lenses.
That's like saying Canon has lens issues when you try and use a Sony lens on them. No ****. As long as you know what your camera's equipped with it's not an issue. Also, even if you do buy an "incompatible" lens, you can still shoot with manual focus on most of them.With canon, buy any APS-C body and use all Canon's lenses. Buying a low end Nikon means forfeiting AF on any lens that doesn't have a built in AF motor OR paying more money for the same lens with an AF motor.
The main thing you're going to want to do as a budding photographer is invest in nice lenses. A nifty fifty (50mm f/1.8 or f/2.8) is great for studio work. For paintball, it depends on what lighting conditions you're usually in, as well as where you shoot from.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:26 PM #17
Zorel
Insert Custom User Title

Zorel is a Paintball photographer
Quote:
Far from trolling and I think you're taking things a little out of proportion. Literally every paintball photographer that I personally know who started out with a low end Nikon as switched over to Canon.
I guess I'm that 1% then that hasn't switched

Also yes I did have a 70-200 f/2.8 that I traded for a Luxe a while back so yes the lens does matter not the body as much.

Last edited by Zorel : 03-05-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:02 PM #18
H.GrosePhotography

Annual Supporting Member
H.GrosePhotography is a Paintball photographer
Don't worry about the body. Canon v. Nikon is like Mac v. PC - it's a matter of personal opinion, experience, preference and perception. What matters most is the lens you use. Get a body that does the job you NEED it to do, and invest in a good piece of glass because that's what makes the biggest difference.

I've seen amazing work done on consumer bodies with pro lenses and iffy work done on pro bodies with kit lenses. Knowing your camera and being able to work your gear is what makes a photographer good or great.

Chances are, if you're smart with your lens purchases, you will keep them forever. But you'll definitely upgrade your body over time... body technology changes yearly! Lens technology - not so much.

And really think about the lens you want before you buy. Make sure it's the best you can get. I'd highly recommend f/2.8 or wider - whatever you can afford! You won't regret it later. And, in the beginning, zoom is definitely more versatile than prime. And I'd say a must for sports photography, unless you're shooting on a full sensor and have a 500mm or 600mm ;o)

If you've arrived at a Nikon and a Canon that can do what you want - body-wise - then take a look at the range and prices of lenses offered. Determine which lens you want NOW and which lenses would be on your wish-list. If one of the brands a) doesn't cover that range or b) is higher priced, maybe that will help push you one way or the other. My first decision was made by the feel of the camera in my hands...

If you want to know what I shoot with, I'm happy to share, but I don't think it's a Nikon / Canon issue. It's about knowing what you want to shoot and what's going to get YOU there.

Cheers,
-H
Old 03-16-2012, 09:11 PM #19
sphynx
Scuba

has been a member for 10 years
sphynx posts videos on PbNation
sphynx has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
sphynx supports DLX Technology
F8al - My girlfriend just purchased a Canon T1i. It seems like a decent camera to start off on. I'll let you know how she likes it, and what I think of it. She's just starting off too.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:50 PM #20
pr0file
Deaf Guy

Annual Supporting Member
pr0file owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
pr0file plays in the APPA D4 division
A good place to learn about Canon's is this forum:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php

I currently have a T2i and it's a good starter camera that takes pretty good photos and HD video. If you have a bigger budget, I would opt for the 7D (I'm currently saving up for one) cause it takes more frames per second (8fps vs my T2i's 3.6fps). That's important with sport shots IMO.

Main key, like paintball is to get out there and shoot! Good luck!
Old 03-31-2012, 08:42 PM #21
a sneaky panda

personally i find nikon to have a better button layout. when i want to zoom in or change any settings i dont want to move my hand to the bottom of the body i want to make the smooth change pulling my hand back to the side. its also much easier to have your hand on the side of the body using buttons on the side rather than hand on the side using buttons on the bottom covering up parts of the screen.

canon does make better lenses, the L glass is amazing, but their bodies will never touch a nikon body. the glass is the ONLY reason people use their bodies for sports. canon cant touch nikon when it comes to low noise at high ISOs.

really though none of this matters to someone just getting into the hobby because you will want to spend the extra money on a decent lens. a cheap lens = cheap pictures. you want something with some reach and a wide aperture so you can run a nice high shutter speed.

personally i shoot with d7000 and a 70-200 2.8 vri which i likely am trading up for a vrii before the season starts
Closed Thread