Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-24-2012, 01:40 AM #1
RunningWithSheep
*fixed avatar*

has been a member for 10 years
Computer problem- shuts down erratically minutes within booting up

Hi all,

So the other day my PC started acting up. Everything runs very slowly, and usually it will power down suddenly within a few minutes of booting it up, then after being off for a few seconds it will try to boot itself again, but then fail a few seconds later and just continue the cycle. I have to actually push the power switch in the back and leave it off for about 15 seconds to get it to stop. My first suspicion was that my power supply is dying, as the first one I had died within a couple months of building my PC and I sent it in for a new one.

I actually had this same problem a couple weeks ago, but managed to do a system restore and it actually seemed to resolve it, until now. Basically, does this sound like a dying PSU? I'm tempted to reformat Windows to see if that does anything but it would be a real pain in the *** to lose the contents of my hard drive only to discover it actually was a hardware issue rather than just some nasty virus. Anyone have any ideas?

In case it matters, my specs are:
Intel i-5 2400K
ATI Radeon HD 6850
8GB Corsair RAM
Seagate 750GB
Corsair CX600 PSU
RunningWithSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-24-2012, 04:37 AM #2
plushdragon

plushdragon helped look for balloons
hey sheep

it could be a few things but to save you from pulling your wool try a few of these tricks. take the side pannel off and see if all the fans are running and not dust bound. cpu and mb have over heat and short sensors in them if they read to hot of temps the cpu/mb is going to shut down or loop. for your hd run the vendor fitness test..if you have smart turn on in the bios use hd tune to read your smart info on the hard drive and see if there any errors. if the pc does it again then turn it off and unplug it from the wall and bare bone the pc. ie no hard drive powered on or dc rom or any extra cards just the video card and mb. if it starts to flake out again see if your school or somone you know has a volt meter..with some load on the ps see if the voltages are holding. also with a flash light see that the ps fan moves and that there not swolen caps in the ps. for the ram and mb...take out 1/2 the ram and reset the mb to factory spec no over clocking and run memtest from a boot cd and see if the system in a dos test screen bugs out. if you want to do some dos burn in test ami diags used to be able to be downloaded and run from a usb/floppy disk/cr-rom drive. you could run floppy and or mem test and hr/cd rom from a burn in disk. if you have a ssd dont run hd tools from ami diags as it made for a mec drive and not a ssd. there are ssd test that tom hardware uses for diags and burn in that dont cause the ssd any issues. if you moved this pc a lot or worked on it check to see that there no burnt sports or missing caps or damaged parts on cards..mb.. also check/shake case to see if there a drop screw or the mb is lose and shorting out on the mb tray.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:40 AM #3
plushdragon

re:

also check what plugged into your usb ports. sometimes you can plug in to many devices and cuause the usb hub to hang or system to reboot if you pull to much power..ie i-phone/i-pods. bad mice or keyboard. it can happen that a mouse or keyboard can fail and lock up a computer.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:36 AM #4
RunningWithSheep
*fixed avatar*

Thanks for the suggestions. I went into my BIOS for the first time and apparently my CPU was running at 98 C.... I'm guessing that might have something to do with it. Could that be the result of a voltage problem or is it more likely a problem with the actual CPU/motherboard? I checked all the fans earlier and everything was running (including the heatsink), and there's some dust inside but I wouldn't think enough to become a real problem (I've let computers get wayyy dustier than that in the past...). I tried to run a memory test from my BIOS but it shut off at 9%. If it happens in BIOS and safe mode does that mean this is definitely a hardware issue rather than a virus?
Old 03-24-2012, 05:56 AM #5
plushdragon

bAAhhhh....(had to do it :)

sound like the cpu heat sink has pop off the cpu. it happens if you go those intel plastic locking pins. the 10.00 fix would be to power down the pc and pick up a tube thearmal trasfur paste. turn the case on it side and take the heat sink off the cpu..clean the old tape/paste and reseat and see if the temps go down. the harder repair would be to pull the mb out and slapping a bigger heat sink (newer). one other thing that will cause any cpu to run way hot is it over clocked in speed or voltage. with the pc cooled down do into the bios and hit reset to factoy default.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:20 AM #6
RunningWithSheep
*fixed avatar*

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try that first thing in the morning. I think I might even have some thermal paste lying around somewhere.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:50 PM #7
RunningWithSheep
*fixed avatar*

Wasn't actually able to get to it until today, but I re-seated the processor/heatsink and cleaned/re-applied thermal paste and it seems to have done the trick (I'm posting from the computer right now). Thanks plushdragon .
Old 03-25-2012, 11:01 PM #8
digitard
GregRedHastings.com

Annual Supporting Member
digitard works for a Paintball manufacturer
digitard plays in the APPA beginner division
digitard is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
digitard supports Empire
Yeah,
If you want to confirm it you can probably go into the Windows System Logs, and check the shut downs. Most likely you'll see heat warnings.

I had something similar happen with a videocard when it would shut down due to high heat. I saw the references in the logs, replaced it, and immediately stopped my issue.
digitard is offline   Reply With Quote