PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-07-2012, 10:01 PM #1
ekimator

Phantom Questions

Hello everyone,

I'm getting back into paintball so I took out the only gun i have left. My phantom pump, from the early 90's. I was wondering if the parts they sell today at CCI will match up to my old model? They look exactly the same in the pictures so I would believe so.

Secondly, what should I buy to make it the best it can be. It is currently stock with the 8 inch barrel that goes just past the pump end, has a side feed, and i have the 12 gram container that screws onto the back.

Thirdly, last time i used it I remember not being able to get it to shoot past 190 FPS. Would this be because I need a new spring?

Thank you for all insight.
ekimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-08-2012, 01:58 AM #2
ziggymarley
FATBOY!!!!!!!!!!

has been a member for 10 years
Welcome back. The CCI phantom hasn't changed a whole lot. There's new things you can do such as:

Tri-Fluting the hammer
Freak boring the barrel
Ego detent mod
Undercocking kits
TPC O-ring mod (replaces the need for that nylon thing if there were issues in the past.)

I would recommend a trigger shoe if you don't have one already. Maybe a spring kit can help you find that higher operating pressure.

Originally posted by Idiosyncrisia
"And btw, firefox's spell check is ftw. if it wasn't for that, this post would be totally illegible."

PBNation Feedback, thanks
ziggymarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:14 AM #3
Nahib_Stilgar

Now and then Compatability. The only thing I have heard that has changed just a little bit is the threading on the barrel. Old barrels cant fit in new bodies but new barrels will fit old bodies?

Buy a replacement set of Phantom springs and seals, they are cheap and if your gun has been sitting that long and has an issue...it could be an easy fix.

Make sure your TPC is set correctly. There are plenty of tutorials about how to do that on this website and others.

Further upgrades as mentioned in the post above are great to slowly work on but are not needed to play right away.

Paint has shrunk big time in the past few years. So at absolute minimum you will need the Detent rings from CCI to prevent roll outs.
Nahib_Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:37 PM #4
ekimator

I could not find the Detents you mentioned, but I did find this kit. http://www.amazon.com/CCI-Paintball-.../dp/B004DHO9TY
Is this what you would recommend to start rebuilding?

Thank you.

I love my new Ego8, but I still want to go play some speedball with a pump like the good ol' days.

Hopefully this fixes the velocity, and a longer barrel than my 8" will fix the accuracy.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:00 PM #5
Nahib_Stilgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekimator View Post
I could not find the Detents you mentioned, but I did find this kit. http://www.amazon.com/CCI-Paintball-.../dp/B004DHO9TY
Is this what you would recommend to start rebuilding?

Thank you.

I love my new Ego8, but I still want to go play some speedball with a pump like the good ol' days.

Hopefully this fixes the velocity, and a longer barrel than my 8" will fix the accuracy.
Yup that kit is what you want. But you can call Mike at CCI and get it strait from him as well as the Detent kit. Detent rings cost $5?

Longer barrel does not equate to greater accuracy. If your barrel is an old one it likely has a HUGE bore...

The new CCI barrels come in .684? now, That will help your accuracy. However, for roughly the same price as a new barrel you could send your current one off to get bored for Freak inserts and then be able to really effectivly match your paint to bore and increase both your consistancy and your accuracy as best you can.
Nahib_Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:38 PM #6
ekimator

Okay so call CCI and get the kit, where and who do I talk to about getting the freak bore? Also, would I then need to buy freak inserts?
Old 03-12-2012, 08:21 PM #7
ziggymarley
FATBOY!!!!!!!!!!

has been a member for 10 years
Yes, go check out the barrels BST section and even the gear bag sales section...you can get a good set.

super stanchy...he's all over the place in the paintball forums...he can take care of that for you. he did both my Phantom and TPX...perfectly. You can also look into his EGO detent mod for the phantom...it'll work better than the detent rings.

i also sent in my hammer to get tri-fluted. It gave me a few more shots per 12 gram. i get about 35 now with stock springs and at about 270 fps.

EDIT: i took thenliberty of looking through the gear bag forums.

here you go, we look out for our own here

FREAK at $60...it's a good deal IMO

Originally posted by Idiosyncrisia
"And btw, firefox's spell check is ftw. if it wasn't for that, this post would be totally illegible."

PBNation Feedback, thanks

Last edited by ziggymarley : 03-12-2012 at 08:39 PM.
ziggymarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:32 PM #8
THE Biscuit

THE Biscuit owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
THE Biscuit owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
is your barrel removable or do you have a unibody Phantom?
Old 03-12-2012, 09:19 PM #9
ekimator

I have a removable.

I actually called Mike at CCI today and after a quick discussion he's sending me the correct parts to "rebuild" the gun. Springs/seals/Orings/Detents. After I'm sure the gun is firing correctly at a solid velocity, I'm going to contact him to work on getting the right parts to set up stock class. Then I'll worry about the barrel.

Thank you all for your help!
Old 03-16-2012, 05:31 PM #10
MrBLUEballZ

You ever heard about the 90 degree phantom grip? It's a pretty cool design and it's SUPER COMFORTABLE. I just recently rebuilt my phantom, and this is one of the best upgrades I spent my money on.
MrBLUEballZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:39 PM #11
super_stanchy
the man with no plan

Annual Supporting Member
super_stanchy works for a Paintball manufacturer
super_stanchy plays in the PSP
super_stanchy supports Bob Gurnsey

i bore barrels out!

$35 to do your barrel
you can find used inserts for about $10ea
new they are $15ea?