Community Focus

Old 02-27-2012, 05:43 PM #1
Blue_Cobra
Nxe-HK*ARMY-JT-Dye-Guy

Blue_Cobra owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Blue_Cobra supports Team VICIOUS
Blue_Cobra posts videos on PbNation
Blue_Cobra supports Pev's Paintball
Question What's the difference between Paintball and airsoft?

Hey Nation and airsofters who use PbNation, I have a question for those who play Paintball, airsoft, and/or both.

Now first, I will go over the History between me and airsoft and Paintball. I have played airsoft for over 6 years. The first guns I got were spring pistols and a target. My parents didn't want me to be shooting at other people so we just could shoot the target. The first expirience I had was when one of my friends came over from my 6th grade class and we took the spring pistols and went into the woods and shot each other, which was pretty fun. That was the start. I had spring pistols wars with my friends and we started getting better guns.

I got my first AEG probably in 8th grade, I got a Thomson M1A1 for $140 at Big 5 (in mt opinion the best airsoft gun ever, the durability is amazing). I wanted to get something more "modern" so I sold the Thomson to my little brother a year or 2 later and bought a MP5k by Galaxy for $40 [ended up trading it for an Up'ed tippmann '98 (added $20 and time to fix it up) and trading that for a PMR '07].

I went to a friends house down in Arizona and got to shoot just about every round calibered from .22 to .50. I got to go hunt prairie dogs with AR-15's which was awesome. When we left he gave me his old paintball markers he didn't use anymore (Spyder TL, Pirrahna PMI, and a Brass Eagle Tigershark). So now I could go play paintball with my own markers.

When I came back to playing airsoft, using the "realistic" type of gun was just not the same. Yeah, it is an airsoft gun and won't shoot accurate up to 50 feet but still. When you can shoot up to 100+ yards accurately and then can't shoot up to 50 feet accurately with something that feels like the real thing just isn't the same (and like no duh, it's real your thinking). But it still changed how I viewed airsoft and paintball alike.

So I have played airsoft for quite a while and played paintball throughout that time also. Recently I have gotten into Paintball majorly and play airsoft every once in a while with my friends to spend time with them and shoot some people. But I got in a discusion with some airsofters in the area and it was kinda weird but they actually got mad over how "Unrealistic" Paintball is.
I just find it amazing how people find airsoft being more real than paintball. It just doesn't fit! The argument cannot be that airsoft is more realistic than paintball. If anything they are on about the same playing field. They both have things that are "realistic" and "unrealistic" but one is not more "realistic" than the other. Depending on the person, one may me more fun than the other but that's about it.
Paintball: --------------------------------- Airsoft:
More expensive (realistic) -------- Cheap (unrealistic)
Sound of shots (realistic) --------- Battery/motor wine (unrealistic) (cept for air power)
Hopper feed (unrealistic) ---------- Magazine feed (realistic)
Mag feed (realistic: size etc.) --- High cap mags (unrealistic)
External Air tank (unrealistic) --- Concealed battery (more realistic)
Remote line (more realistic) ----- Battery in general (unrealistic)
Modifiability (realistic) -------------- Modifiability (realistic)
Leaves marks (realistic) ---------- Doesn't leave marks cept. welts (unrealistic) [although to a point for them both]
Rage (unrealistic) -------------------- Rage (unrealistic)
Both rages are about the same.
But there are probably a lot more.

Another reason I stopped airsofting was because people didn't go out when they where hit. With the paint, it leaves a mark when it breaks (hit) and if it doesn't break you have another chance without having to cheat over it. I have found that there are more cheaters in airsoft than in paintball. Why? Because it is easier to do so. No mark so hit, simple as that it is more frustrating in airsoft when someone cheats. In paintball, you when you see a ball break you know without a shadow of doubt that you hit them, and you can argue your side a whole lot easier. I'm not saying all airsofters are cheaters, don't get me wrong, I am just saying that it is easier to cheat in airsoft than in paintball, although it can be done. That's how I kinda see it.

Now it depends on whether the paintball marker is a speedball or a woodsball marker. But still I don't see how they can say one if more realistic than the other. IF you could help answer the question that would be cool. It is your opinion you are sharing, bias or not. I would like to see where people stand on this topic.

"Originally posted by greenperson: lol you just completely shutout savephace. they were like "look. our lens can take a gelatin shell at 425 FPS". and Vforce is like "ok. ours can take bullets.""
LEGO PAINTBALL WHAT DO YOU THINK???
Need to sell gear? Go to U.S.A. B/S/T! It's easy & it's Facebook!
Blue_Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-29-2012, 07:39 PM #2
monkeyballer099639
monkeyballer

Annual Supporting Member
monkeyballer099639 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
monkeyballer099639 plays in the APPA D4 division
monkeyballer099639 supports DLX Technology
The realism in airsoft I beleive comes in the equipment. You can use a real military tactical vest to hold you airsoft mags, the guns feel more realistic since they don't have a giant tank or bucket on top, the tactics (to a good amount) are most realistic in that airsoft players tend to do more squad work and communicate with radios and handsignals compared to paintball where people just yell out the other team's position.

Also, while the roots of paintball are based in the woods, most people think of paintball now as the tournament scene, where airsoft is viewed as a bunch of guys in a scenario scene.

For me, I like playing tournament paintball and recreational airsoft. I also get to do some CQB training using airsoft with some local police swat and marines that would be hard to do and less realistic feeling with paintball.

Evolution Sports
Zombie Unicorn Attack
monkeyballer099639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:29 PM #3
Blue_Cobra
Nxe-HK*ARMY-JT-Dye-Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyballer099639 View Post
The realism in airsoft I beleive comes in the equipment. You can use a real military tactical vest to hold you airsoft mags, the guns feel more realistic since they don't have a giant tank or bucket on top, the tactics (to a good amount) are most realistic in that airsoft players tend to do more squad work and communicate with radios and handsignals compared to paintball where people just yell out the other team's position.

Also, while the roots of paintball are based in the woods, most people think of paintball now as the tournament scene, where airsoft is viewed as a bunch of guys in a scenario scene.

For me, I like playing tournament paintball and recreational airsoft. I also get to do some CQB training using airsoft with some local police swat and marines that would be hard to do and less realistic feeling with paintball.
Which do you think has more range? Because that helps realism also. For airsoft, CQB is more fun since you don't have to worry about range and accuracy as much.

And there are some paintball guns that use magazines that would fit in military pouches also. Like the Tiberius 9 and RAP-4 paintball guns like the shot gun which looks, feels, and works quite a bit like a real gun. Although, there are more airsoft guns that are more "realistic" looking than paintball markers but there are some out there.

"Originally posted by greenperson: lol you just completely shutout savephace. they were like "look. our lens can take a gelatin shell at 425 FPS". and Vforce is like "ok. ours can take bullets.""
Old 03-17-2012, 11:38 AM #4
HeatedNubbycake
^^^Gamertag^^^

HeatedNubbycake plays in the PSP
HeatedNubbycake supports Team VICIOUS
HeatedNubbycake supports Pev's Paintball
Just my $.02... Iv been part of the airsoft scene for 8 years, and paintball for closer to 4-5 years. From what I read in your first post your guns may have been the problem. I have multiple AEG's that will honestly shoot 200+ feet accurately, these took some modification (tight bore barrel, high torque steel gears, and upgraded piston, cylinder, and cylinder head) and they were based off of TM and ICS M4 and M16 variants. I also have a sniper that will shoot closer to 300' "accurately". It is all in the quality of the gun, the patience and precision of the shooter, and knowing what type of BB's to use, (weight brand and all).

Overall, the realistic battle feeling of airsoft is far superior to paintball if you have the right gear, and honest people who are willing to "play army". Many of the people that play at our field are ex-military so they are very honorable, call there hits, and use advanced tactics and communication, this makes for a very very VERY fun, interesting, and intense battle and paintball cannot even compete to this type of play. But on the flip side, lower quality guns that only shoot a few feet and people who will not call there hits will make this game very pathetic and boring and annoying.

Additionally, you had mentioned the hi-cap mags, these are very unrealistic especially the shaking bb's while you run, but there are alternatives, midcap magazines usually hold about 100-130 rounds, or the type that I use, low-cap or real-cap hold the same amount of rounds as a real-steel field rifle. along with the guns themselves, many high quality airsoft rifles pumped out by TM CA ICS Systema etc, have minimal noise generated by gear whine, and what whine is heard can be altered by using some suppressors specifically designed to screw onto airsoft guns.

The last point i will make is that most recently, Polarstar has come out with an m4/m16 varient rifle that runs off compressed air with a remote line and functions almost exactly like a paintball gun. in addition to this gun, most companies are beginning to pump out airsoft guns that have real blowback action which makes them exceptionally realistic.

Sound may be on paintballs side, but i still prefer to get down and dirty with a firearm lookalike that can shoot significantly farther and more accurately then my paintball gun.

In paintballs defense, you are correct, clearly the guns are louder and many produce more of a kick then airsoft guns. But honestly put an ego or even a paintball firearm lookalike next to a G&G Blowback M4 and you tell me which looks and functions more realistically.

finally, the paintball scene has shifted alot towards speedball, so there seems to be less focus put into woodsball anymore. im like the other guy up there, i play speedball, and pump paintball (with woodsball and speedball players), but all of my in the woods play is done through airsoft because of the sheer realism of the game.

Not saying your wrong, you made many good points in your posts, but I feel it is based off of the use of lower quality guns and people who may not always call there hits. The TM's CA's and ICS's of airsoft are like the DM's and Egos's of paintball, and yeild a much higher satisfaction in playing then using lower quality items.

The only urine sample your getting from me is a taste test.

Last edited by HeatedNubbycake : 03-17-2012 at 11:43 AM.
HeatedNubbycake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:48 AM #5
Blue_Cobra
Nxe-HK*ARMY-JT-Dye-Guy

Good argument. If I was playing airsoft with you guys I would probably be still playing more than I do now. I did hear about that compressed air airsoft gun. I would like to get that. But if I had that money I would get a Karni, Haha

But yeah very good points

Old 03-30-2012, 02:00 AM #6
zachattack93

Heated hit the nail on the head. When it comes to range airsoft has paintball beat hands down but only when using a decent gun with an adjustable hop up (which 99% of airsoft guns have). Its hard to get them accurate out to 200+ feet but getting that sort of distance isnt hard at all. When it comes to the power source its hard to determine which is actually better; personally i play both airsoft and paintball so when i heard about the p* coming out i was pretty happy. The one thing that really pissed me off about airsoft was the amount of work i had to put into a gearbox in order to make it work how i wanted it to, and then the constant worry about parts breaking. I switched to the P* now so everything i own runs off of HPA, almost zero maintenance required and i can change my velocity and programming just like on a paintball gun. there are only two real downsides to the P*, cost and having enough tanks to go play all day with no fill stations for miles. I think the ends justify the means though. In the beginning airsoft guns were actually powered by external (in some cases internal) HPA and CO2 tanks with remote lines, the electric guns came later on and to be honest i dont really think it was a step in the right direction. The older airsoft guns didnt use any electronics like the P* does though (which is why they call it the fusion engine), just valves. now that i have everything set up for my P* i want to get my hands on an old Sun Project M4, a nice piece of arisoft history that you can skirmish with today. Good observations overall
zachattack93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:37 AM #7
Blue_Cobra
Nxe-HK*ARMY-JT-Dye-Guy

Thanks bro, and same to you. I would definitely get one of those air powered ones but then I would be spending just as much money on airsoft than paintball and then why do both? I would just rather spend my money on Paintball. That's just me though.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:08 AM #8
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot

As far as I can make out, the best of both worlds is playing RAM .43 with powderballs at about 400fps. That's what most of the hardcore milsim folks around these parts get into - you get the range and realistic guns of airsoft along with the marking ability of paint. Only problem is that RAM markers are pretty much junk.

As far as realism goes though very few paintballers will tell you that they're interested in realism as a super important thing. Airsofters can hate on pb'ers for that but it's like hating on a Ferrari for not carrying seven passengers! Airball in particular is just pure paintball without any attempt to recreate real combat, while most woodsballers are just in it to have a blast with their mates and really aren't too fussed about the military look (ie. most scenario teams or the UWL).

All that said there's a boom going on right now in magfed paintball. While the guns can never be quite as realistic due purely to the size of the projectile, things like FS rounds that allow a true sniper role without worrying about min engagement distances, the marking ability, and some pretty decent markers coming out make up for it. Also with magfed paintball you wont see any hi cap (box) mags that aren't designated support.

Just not much of a scene yet is the biggest problem, and imo the markers and feed systems badly need work.
vijil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:11 PM #9
Blue_Cobra
Nxe-HK*ARMY-JT-Dye-Guy

I like the Ferrari example, that makes a good point.

I have been talking to people who are in the military and I hear them talk more about Paintball than airsoft. I haven't heard anyone from the military talk about airsoft or using it, but I hear plenty of their use of paintball.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:08 PM #10
Homemade Caddy

Homemade Caddy owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Homemade Caddy is for the Gunfight
Homemade Caddy has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Homemade Caddy has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I say paintball hurts more thank airsoft.

But airsoft has more modern time designs of guns(they look really realistic)

and airsoft is really dirty with all the paint

but i perfer paintball more
Homemade Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:54 PM #11
ElJefe13

ElJefe13 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ElJefe13 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
ElJefe13 supports Empire
OK, just my two cents. I've played both paintball and airsoft, and I prefer paintball, but both are fun.
Paintball Pros:
More accurate (Generally, and especially with FS)
better sounding
a lot more respect (I get people dissing on me for playing airsoft, but not for playing paintball)
Harder to cheat
Hurts More (older players)

Airsoft Pros:
More realistic
A TON cheaper (I found a brand new airsoft gun for $2. The cheapest paintball was $45)
Less messy
Hurts less
All in all, unless you're really into milsim, I would play paintball. I think it's more fun if you're older. I feel like paintball is the adult version of airsoft.
ElJefe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:21 PM #12
MangoChutney
HAI IM A BAT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJefe13 View Post
OK, just my two cents. I've played both paintball and airsoft, and I prefer paintball, but both are fun.
Paintball Pros:
More accurate (Generally, and especially with FS)
better sounding
a lot more respect (I get people dissing on me for playing airsoft, but not for playing paintball)
Harder to cheat
Hurts More (older players)

Airsoft Pros:
More realistic
A TON cheaper (I found a brand new airsoft gun for $2. The cheapest paintball was $45)
Less messy
Hurts less
All in all, unless you're really into milsim, I would play paintball. I think it's more fun if you're older. I feel like paintball is the adult version of airsoft.
Definitely not true. Airsoft guns are definitely more accurate since you can upgrade the barrel, hopup chamber, hopup nub/rubber, BB weight and sometimes a higher FPS helps in accuracy. Everything else was pretty much spot on.
MangoChutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:54 PM #13
Blue_Cobra
Nxe-HK*ARMY-JT-Dye-Guy

I personally think Airsoft hurts more. I would rather be hit with a paintball. It bruises more but I think hurts less.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:50 PM #14
HeatedNubbycake
^^^Gamertag^^^

its going to depend. you have more energy being put into a paintball, but its impact is over a much bigger cross sectional area then an airsoft bb. airsoft bb's have less energy, but because its over a very small cross sectional area, its possible that it hurts more because its more force per unit area. especially considering for airsoft full face protection is not normally required, just full seal ANSI rated goggles, plus airsoft guns can shoot over 500 fps easy for snipers and whatnot (though most places cap snipers at a MAX of 500fps).

so that said the kinetic energy of an airsoft bb can actually exceed that of a paintball relatively easy as you increase velocity, since you take the square of the velocity and not the mass when solving for force/energy.

another way to look at it is smack your hand with a hammer (large cross sectional area, large mass) then stab yourself with a pencil (small cross sectional area, low mass) both moving at the same speed both will hurt no doubt, but i think your right, mathematically and logically, the pencil should hurt more.....

DISCLAIMER: dont actually try that.

Last edited by HeatedNubbycake : 05-10-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:55 PM #15
Blue_Cobra
Nxe-HK*ARMY-JT-Dye-Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatedNubbycake View Post
its going to depend. you have more energy being put into a paintball, but its impact is over a much bigger cross sectional area then an airsoft bb. airsoft bb's have less energy, but because its over a very small cross sectional area, its possible that it hurts more because its more force per unit area. especially considering for airsoft full face protection is not normally required, just full seal ANSI rated goggles, plus airsoft guns can shoot over 500 fps easy for snipers and whatnot (though most places cap snipers at a MAX of 500fps).

so that said the kinetic energy of an airsoft bb can actually exceed that of a paintball relatively easy as you increase velocity, since you take the square of the velocity and not the mass when solving for force/energy.

another way to look at it is smack your hand with a hammer (large cross sectional area, heavy weight) then stab yourself with a pencil (small cross sectional area, low mass) both moving at the same speed both will hurt no doubt, but i think your right, mathematically and logically, the pencil should hurt more.....

DISCLAIMER: dont actually try that.
Exactly! I heard the example like this, would you rather have a 100lbs of weight on your chest in with the size of an elephant's foot or a high heel?

Old 05-10-2012, 11:02 PM #16
HeatedNubbycake
^^^Gamertag^^^

yep thats another good one. really anything over a 2d or 3d plane or space, the area or volume is a HUGE game changer because it lowers Force/Area--- Volume/Area--- etc. and again, area is squared, volume is cubed, so the multipliers are weighted much more heavily then some other aspects of calculating that. but anyway, i think it just depends on the person too.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:10 PM #17
Blue_Cobra
Nxe-HK*ARMY-JT-Dye-Guy

For sure, I think it is funny how it is airSOFT when it isn't very soft. lol.

But yeah, it depends on the person and what they are willing to put up with. lol.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:32 PM #18
ElJefe13

ElJefe13 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoChutney View Post
Definitely not true. Airsoft guns are definitely more accurate since you can upgrade the barrel, hopup chamber, hopup nub/rubber, BB weight and sometimes a higher FPS helps in accuracy. Everything else was pretty much spot on.
OK, but I was going for the average here. At least where I used to play, even with my big, nice sniper rifle I wasn't getting consistent shots even at 100 ft. The breeze would just play heck with it. But with my old, piece of crap Spyder i can usually hit someone 100 ft away.
If you spend $500 on an airsoft gun, then you're gonna get accuracy. Although maybe a FS from a T9 would be more accurate. I'm not sure on that.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:11 AM #19
HeatedNubbycake
^^^Gamertag^^^

eh, i still agree with mango. iv never gotten near the accuracy in paintball as i have in airsoft. i can spend $200 and have an airsoft gun that will shoot farther and more accurate than any paintball gun iv ever shot.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:52 PM #20
ElJefe13

ElJefe13 supports Empire
That's probably true, I just never spent more than $60 on an airsoft gun.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:54 PM #21
Blue_Cobra
Nxe-HK*ARMY-JT-Dye-Guy

If you spend more than $100 you might as well get an Ion. It shoots like any paintball marker and keeps up with them. You can get cheap airsoft guns that are "broken" and just fix them up and they are as good as new! lol