PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-09-2012, 10:36 AM #1
phattony

phattony posts videos on PbNation
paintball turning big!

I would love to see paintball be as big as NHL, NFL, NBA, or MLB. each city or state has there franchised team, and playing against each other one on one. i do like four big tournaments a year, but having a season dedicated to paintball. a western and eastern conference, and a final cup game to see who's the champion. we all know that if it does happen it wont happen for a long time, but it's something to think about.
phattony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-09-2012, 11:12 AM #2
Rpfusa1
Raptor Jesus

Rpfusa1 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I think this topic has been talked about time and time again. It's something we'd all love to see but unfortunately, the industry just isn't ready to move up to that level.
Especially with the NPPL and PSP being different formats. The one thing that all major professional sports have is one solid set of rules as opposed to varying formats. In addition to that, it's easier to follow one ball along a court/field but when you've got hundreds of them flying back and forth, it's hard to focus on any one thing.

I think that one day paintball will get there. It certainly won't be as big as other National level sports, but it has the ability to stand out on TV.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:13 AM #3
turnburglar
Mr. "iminitforthecheck"

turnburglar owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Its not the lack of focal point that alot of people claim. Plenty of sports lack a focal point and do just fine on TV. The reason its not popular has something to do with the upper ranks of the sport not growing marketing and developing it properly. I guess as regular players we could do something different to for an image. When my wife said to one of her girlfriends "yea he just dropped six bills on a marker " and their response is "I thought it was just abunch of Rambos in the woods " kinda shows ya that woods ball ruins our public perception for legitimacy.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:12 PM #4
Paintman15
Justin

Paintman15 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Paintman15 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
When I've seen pb on espn, it was a lot easier to follow than the psp webcasts and such, just because they had better trained producers and camera men, and better equipment, so I think if the psp can work out a deal with them, it will be HUGE. I also think it HAS to psp. 7 man is too hard to follow, even if it's more fun.
"A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work. Uh, I'll call BS. You ever seen Deadliest Catch? I don't know many accountants that get plunged into 40 degree water and end up with all their friends drowned. And you can always make any scenario worse by adding 'and then a roller coaster cut my head off'. Just saying".
-Daniel Tosh

If you can't beat 'em, might as well eat 'em, cause no one's getting out alive!

-Sick Puppies
Paintman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:54 PM #5
bboydboy97

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
kinda shows ya that woods ball ruins our public perception for legitimacy.
I don't mean to flame on woodsball or anything, but I have to agree. We need to show people that paintball isn't a bunch of people running around in the woods anymore... it is a planned out sport with rules.
bboydboy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:20 PM #6
turnburglar
Mr. "iminitforthecheck"

Its not flaming, if its a civil observation.

Sadly though this sport is gonna have a hard time growing when people start playing to pretend army and then only a few stick with or change to the sport side of the hobby.

On a positive side I found all of the 2011 PSP Galveston webcasts and thought they where a huge step in the right direction. If it had slightly better camera work and editing I dont see why we can't get on TV (again)
Old 03-13-2012, 06:43 PM #7
Infinity Kid
Lonely Island

Infinity Kid is playing at Living Legends VII
Infinity Kid supports Team VICIOUS
Infinity Kid supports Team VICIOUS
Infinity Kid posts videos on PbNation
Infinity Kid supports DLX Technology
Paintball is to hard for most people to comprehend! If you go on the street and ask what someone thinks of paintball, They are going to say "Its a bunch of men running around the jungle shooting each other and getting huge welts". People wont understand what the tournament scene is about, and its not interesting the least bit to people who dont play tournament paintball!
Infinity Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:45 PM #8
steve_81
Paintballing since 1996

steve_81 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Paintball is a very multifaceted game. That is why it is so appealing to play. If you start taking away the aspects of the game that attract that wide range of players you are only limiting Paintball.

One thing that gets me is that Paintball does one thing that no other mainstream sport does. It's players attempt to distance themselves from the games origins. Even going as far as bad mouthing anything to do with the woods. turnburglar's post is proof. We should be teaching these young players about our games roots and the people who were involved with it during Paintballs early years. Because if it wasn't for them you guys wouldn't even have the chance to be on here badmouthing them. Paintball started in the woods and until you can get a field into every single town in the United States let alone the world then the woodsball aspect will continue to be the backbone of the game.

The players say that they want Paintball to grow into a mainstream sport well then why don't the players start acting like it? Get rid of these labels of "woodsball" and "speedball." It's all just Paintball.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:29 PM #9
SixTeaNyne

SixTeaNyne owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
SixTeaNyne owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
SixTeaNyne supports Team VICIOUS
SixTeaNyne has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
SixTeaNyne has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
SixTeaNyne supports DLX Technology
I think its that most people look at the game as a hobby or something you do for a birthday party not something you dedicate time to and pay hundreds of dollars for. Also the woods play is the basic stereotype for paintball unfortunately.
SixTeaNyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:41 PM #10
JR007

I don't think there is anything unfortunate about woodsball being a sterotype for PB. I've jsut started speedball and love it, but I also like going out for group skirmishes in the bush.
Like already said, the best way to make it big, is getting as many players as you can into ANY facet of the game. Some will gravitate towards speedball, others woods, i'm all for people starting either style.
JR007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:03 AM #11
eforce
Factory PB

Annual Supporting Member
eforce is a Moderator
 has been a member for 10 years
eforce plays in the PSP
eforce is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR007 View Post
I don't think there is anything unfortunate about woodsball being a sterotype for PB. I've jsut started speedball and love it, but I also like going out for group skirmishes in the bush.
Like already said, the best way to make it big, is getting as many players as you can into ANY facet of the game. Some will gravitate towards speedball, others woods, i'm all for people starting either style.
There's nothing wrong with woodsball. It's the financial backbone of our industry and it's a low pressure starting point for inexperienced players. The issue is not what woodsball players are doing, but how it's perceived. If someone thinks paintball is all about running around the woods in army uniforms and you say you're a professional, their eyes roll into the back of their head. It's a very different reaction than other sports and it's not the kind that commands respect and interest. Case in point - tell a girl you're a professional paintball player and she asks what that is. Tell a girl you're a professional football player and she asks you how you want her.
eforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:53 AM #12
Dark Side
You will know the power

Annual Supporting Member
Dark Side is BST Trusted
Dark Side is attending Decay of Nations VI
Dark Side is attending Decay of Nations VII
Quote:
Originally Posted by eforce View Post
There's nothing wrong with woodsball. It's the financial backbone of our industry and it's a low pressure starting point for inexperienced players. The issue is not what woodsball players are doing, but how it's perceived. If someone thinks paintball is all about running around the woods in army uniforms and you say you're a professional, their eyes roll into the back of their head. It's a very different reaction than other sports and it's not the kind that commands respect and interest. Case in point - tell a girl you're a professional paintball player and she asks what that is. Tell a girl you're a professional football player and she asks you how you want her.
The multimillion dollar contract makes that happen, not the perception of any game. I will agree with your first 2 sentences however.

Quote:
bboydboy97]
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnburglar
kinda shows ya that woods ball ruins our public perception for legitimacy.

I don't mean to flame on woodsball or anything, but I have to agree. We need to show people that paintball isn't a bunch of people running around in the woods anymore... it is a planned out sport with rules.
You are both fools. Ever heard of OK DDay. How many players show up every year for it? Woodsball and Scenarios are games governed by a set of rules the teams must follow to win; much like any Tourney game, just with a bigger field and trees or hey if you are really feeling frisky maybe some shrubs.

The MAIN problems are 1: that people associate the game in it's entirety with the generalized idea of "guns are bad mmmK" and 2: you can buy 1 each football, soccerball, 2 gloves and a few baseballs for 1/2 of the price for an entry level mech. How much easier is it to play catch or to kick a soccerball around in the backyard than to shell out a few hundred to start and find a field in the local area (because let's face it who wants to drive very far with gas being where it is) and then paint and air every weekend for their kids who are probably going to toss the gear into a closet and never look back when some dick overshoots them the first time.
Dark Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:32 AM #13
steve_81
Paintballing since 1996

Quote:
I agree. Paintball for the first 20 years was in the woods and that's what people remember. The real issue here is how can we change the mindset of people not involved?; and honestly I don't think changing or modifying our game is the way to do it. Why alter our game to make it more appealing for others that don't play when we already like it the way it is? Think about it, our industry and even some of the players are trying to change the image of Paintball by altering our game or suggesting that we do. Do you honestly think altering our game to attempt to change a mindset that has been around for over 20 years is actually going to work? More then half the people who have this mindset won't even know anything about the changes as they don't play Paintball. It's rather stupid when you think about it.

Instead of changing it why not invite these people to PSP, NPPL, or even local tournaments. Show them the differences and possibly get them involved. It won't change the view overnight but it will start changing these peoples mindsets (remember word of mouth is a powerful thing) and by getting them involved it may possibly grow the game at the same time.

The industry may have good intentions I just think their approach is all wrong.

"To all of the players I want you to remember that its YOU who control this game and this industry. Treat it wisely and vote with your dollars so your kids can play along side you some day."

Tom Kaye

Last edited by steve_81 : 03-14-2012 at 10:42 AM.
steve_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:17 AM #14
phattony

phattony posts videos on PbNation
i talked to my friend about this a lot and most of it is the main population doesnt know what to look for while watching the game. like key bunkers, moves, and the way players play. if everyone knew that the game would be much more exciting to watch for the general mass.
phattony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:32 AM #15
steve_81
Paintballing since 1996

Quote:
Originally Posted by phattony View Post
i talked to my friend about this a lot and most of it is the main population doesnt know what to look for while watching the game. like key bunkers, moves, and the way players play. if everyone knew that the game would be much more exciting to watch for the general mass.
The problem for Paintball right now is trying to change a non players mindset on the game. However this isn't something that will happen over night. It will take a long time. Like I said before these changes or modifications of the game will do nothing because they are directed at people who won't even know about it unless they are already involved in the game. It's almost like the industries previous attempts to market the game to a demographic that can't afford it. It doesn't make sense.

We need to get out there and start inviting these people to events. The only company in Paintball attempting this is Tippmann. They made TV commercials, Held contests to pay for Paintball outings for new groups, and countless other things to get people exposed to the game.

Last edited by steve_81 : 03-14-2012 at 11:36 AM.
steve_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:57 AM #16
Zippin35

Zippin35 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Zippin35 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Zippin35 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Zippin35 is attending Decay of Nations VI
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_81 View Post
The problem for Paintball right now is trying to change a non players mindset on the game. However this isn't something that will happen over night. It will take a long time. Like I said before these changes or modifications of the game will do nothing because they are directed at people who won't even know about it unless they are already involved in the game. It's almost like the industries previous attempts to market the game to a demographic that can't afford it. It doesn't make sense.

We need to get out there and start inviting these people to events. The only company in Paintball attempting this is Tippmann. They made TV commercials, Held contests to pay for Paintball outings for new groups, and countless other things to get people exposed to the game.
Agree. I post something like this every time this topic comes up. The public (and when I say public I dont mean your girlfriend who comes to the odd tourney I mean Jeremy T. Oblivious to the sport of paintball, no connection to the sport) only interacts with the sport maybe 2-3 times in their life and all they see/hear of it are "O I remember going paintballing once with my friends, it was fun they gave us the m-16 looking guns and we ran around the woods for a few, Todd you remember that f*****g welt you had for like 3 weeks after?"

That is what they know of paintball. Its not that they all got together and decided this is how were going to perceive this hobby. They literally dont know any better, and you are right about getting the word out.

What do you think of when you think hockey, basketball, football. I think of The rangers winning the cup, Lebron James, and the superbowl. What does the public think of when they hear paintball? I can assure you it isn't The russian training grounds, Langs epic bunker, or Damage. The perception is of a hobby, a thing that people did once back when and got welts and had some fun and until that changes the sport can only go so far.
New England Crusade #35
Bored? On Facebook? Come join my group Paintball Gear for Sale!
Zippin35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:20 PM #17
Splat209

Splat209 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Splat209 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Splat209 is attending Decay of Nations VI
if psp and NPPL were to get the merger, then it would be way bigger of a sport and hopefully more advertisements...Commercials!!

"in the grind, it's my time to shine"

ebay username to see feedback:tperez838
Splat209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:40 PM #18
eforce
Factory PB

Annual Supporting Member
eforce is a Moderator
 has been a member for 10 years
eforce plays in the PSP
eforce is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Side View Post
The multimillion dollar contract makes that happen, not the perception of any game. I will agree with your first 2 sentences however.
Yes and no. The multi-million dollar contract is the result of decades of effective marketing to the general population, along with strategic planning. There was a time when nobody cared about American football. It has been marketed with simple strategy in mind and that's why it has developed so well.

1. Make the game matter. Name part of the season the playoffs, make it seem cut-throat, and lead into a hyped up event called the super bowl. Make it sound like a big deal.

2. Assign teams to major cities so that prospective fans have a reason to care about the league and give them someone to root for. Develop the rivalry and publicize it so that perceived intensity goes up.

3. Glorify the players' athletic ability so that what they do, no matter how trivial it may be on the most basic level, is impressive. Make it seem important to the average viewer so it catches their interest.

4. Force it upon as many people as you can. Buy up prime time television slots to show your games on and guarantee it gets seen even by people who don't initially care.

5. Get kids involved at a young age so they can relate to what they see on TV. Make them care as they get older so that the sport becomes a part of their life and they continue to pour their time/money into it.

This is the most basic version of what they do and it's the same formula for other sports. Eventually, they generate more revenue and can award massive contracts like they do today. If you think about what they get paid vs what they do, it's ****ing ridiculous. Drew Brees gets paid $50 million to play catch. The engineers that design all the technologies you depend on to live your life, the farmers that feed you every day, and the soldiers that die to protect you all get paid pennies compared to athletes in well developed sports. Want to know why that happens? Successful marketing campaigns. They bring in the money and they add social value to positions associated with their beneficiaries. That's why the girls give it up for pro athletes in mainstream sports. I could be a superstar cashier at McDonald's and sleep with playboy models every night if they ran the correct marketing campaign. What you do is irrelevant. It's all about how it's presented to the public. Hitler made himself a god by murdering innocent people and he got away with it by marketing himself and his message well. I guarantee you if paintball companies spent the money to properly market themselves you'd see a growth too. The problem is that we just don't have that kind of money in our sport and that's why it's so important that we bring in those outside sponsors. It's not just their money we need - it's their marketing resources that dwarf ours.

Last edited by eforce : 03-14-2012 at 03:43 PM.
eforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:53 PM #19
turnburglar
Mr. "iminitforthecheck"

I'd like to disagree with the comment "its hard for non players to follow ".

If someone was interested and sat and watched the PSP webcast I think Matty Marshall did a good job as an announcer. Really its harder to watch in person when you don't know what to look for than when the camera forces your attention to moves and the announcer explains exactly what is happening. When you think most people that watch sports don't actually play, it leaves it up to the league to draw the spectators. Example : I don't know anyone that plays NASCAR yet it has a HUGE following. How many people that tune into the super bowl throw a ball? Not many.

If some marketing company took an intrest in xball it could legitimatize us as a sport.

Edit : eforce posted while I was writing. Excuse some idea spam.

Last edited by turnburglar : 03-14-2012 at 05:12 PM.
turnburglar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:30 PM #20
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

Quote:
Yes and no. The multi-million dollar contract is the result of decades of effective marketing to the general population, along with strategic planning. There was a time when nobody cared about American football. It has been marketed with simple strategy in mind and that's why it has developed so well.

1. Make the game matter. Name part of the season the playoffs, make it seem cut-throat, and lead into a hyped up event called the super bowl. Make it sound like a big deal.

2. Assign teams to major cities so that prospective fans have a reason to care about the league and give them someone to root for. Develop the rivalry and publicize it so that perceived intensity goes up.

3. Glorify the players' athletic ability so that what they do, no matter how trivial it may be on the most basic level, is impressive. Make it seem important to the average viewer so it catches their interest.

4. Force it upon as many people as you can. Buy up prime time television slots to show your games on and guarantee it gets seen even by people who don't initially care.

5. Get kids involved at a young age so they can relate to what they see on TV. Make them care as they get older so that the sport becomes a part of their life and they continue to pour their time/money into it.

This is the most basic version of what they do and it's the same formula for other sports. Eventually, they generate more revenue and can award massive contracts like they do today. If you think about what they get paid vs what they do, it's ****ing ridiculous. Drew Brees gets paid $50 million to play catch. The engineers that design all the technologies you depend on to live your life, the farmers that feed you every day, and the soldiers that die to protect you all get paid pennies compared to athletes in well developed sports. Want to know why that happens? Successful marketing campaigns. They bring in the money and they add social value to positions associated with their beneficiaries. That's why the girls give it up for pro athletes in mainstream sports. I could be a superstar cashier at McDonald's and sleep with playboy models every night if they ran the correct marketing campaign. What you do is irrelevant. It's all about how it's presented to the public. Hitler made himself a god by murdering innocent people and he got away with it by marketing himself and his message well. I guarantee you if paintball companies spent the money to properly market themselves you'd see a growth too. The problem is that we just don't have that kind of money in our sport and that's why it's so important that we bring in those outside sponsors. It's not just their money we need - it's their marketing resources that dwarf ours.

YES.
SNAKESNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote