Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-14-2012, 02:21 AM #1
jonathanmanh88

Please help me tune my g3 with an ape oled board

Before I made this thread, I looked into some of the older ones but couldn't find one that explained in detail all the aspects of the g3 ape oled board. (please link me if you find one or made one)
For tune assist, it is a requirement to have a full tank when you set the dwell?
I was trying it on a tank with maybe 2k left and my cycles started at 8.
Then, my bolt return settings kept going in circles like another users problem : http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...+g3+ ape+oled

Also, I was wondering what other features one may be able to tinker with to get better effeciency. I don't mind kick (it's really minute how much a paintball gun kicks to me) but I seem only to be getting 4-5 pods on a 50/45 hot fill (maybe at - little over 4k)

I hope to hear any good advice soon from the g3 gods, (Shru, chuckasaurus, aospades and many more) and hope to be as wise as one myself.
Thank you for reading!

Last edited by jonathanmanh88 : 03-14-2012 at 09:31 PM.
jonathanmanh88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-14-2012, 11:05 AM #2
jonathanmanh88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mescaline Man View Post
It "specifically" stats in the manual or on the youtube vids to have a full tank. perhaps you didn't cycle the gun enough for thhe board to"register" the best settings. Go get a full fill and try it again. 4 or 5 pods on a 50/45 is about right...about the best thing you could do for better numbers is to get a techt bolt engine...with that setup I ended up with a dwell of 9 and bolt return of 14ms...better my G3 was noticeably smoother at a dwell of 10 but my eff did suffer a tad.
My apologies then.
And I forgot to include, I do have the techt bolt engine installed, and a barrel kit so I waste less air.
I shall try to do it again soon then
Old 03-14-2012, 11:10 AM #3
justicexd
mowing faces since '83

The dwell on my g3 is set to 10, bolt return 9, and ABS is at 1. Also, it helps to have a chrony handy to make sure the marker is shooting consistently.
justicexd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:43 AM #4
jonathanmanh88

Quote:
Originally Posted by justicexd View Post
The dwell on my g3 is set to 10, bolt return 9, and ABS is at 1. Also, it helps to have a chrony handy to make sure the marker is shooting consistently.
How many pods are you getting off a full (68) fill
If you have a 45 or 50 that would be good too.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:13 PM #5
justicexd
mowing faces since '83

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanmanh88 View Post
How many pods are you getting off a full (68) fill
If you have a 45 or 50 that would be good too.
Believe it or not, a 68/45 filled to 4000 psi, (marker set at 280 fps) i get around 11 pods. I also have a slightly modded techt bolt that allows me to lower pressure, and increase fps by around 30. Another key thing to having a tuned g3 (or any DP marker) is the noid. You need to keep it lubed or the consistency will be all over the place...especially at lower dwell settings.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:29 PM #6
Shru

Quote:
Originally Posted by justicexd View Post
Believe it or not, a 68/45 filled to 4000 psi, (marker set at 280 fps) i get around 11 pods. I also have a slightly modded techt bolt that allows me to lower pressure, and increase fps by around 30. Another key thing to having a tuned g3 (or any DP marker) is the noid. You need to keep it lubed or the consistency will be all over the place...especially at lower dwell settings.
I taught this man everything he knows

In all seriousness, Justicexd is the guy i go to for alot of advice and stuff on my g3 or fx...
The man really does know his stuff (he is local to me)
Shru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:59 PM #7
firefoxx04
Up the Irons

firefoxx04 supports Bob Gurnsey
firefoxx04 supports DLX Technology
Do you guys understand that the tuning the ape board does only works if you know what its trying to do?

the goal is to get you a minimum working dwell. This might not be the most consistent dwell but it should be the most effient.

i go for consistency. My ape board g3 with bolt engine shoots very consistent and i never run out of paint. in big games i carry a hopper and 5-6 pods depending. i run a 68 45 willed to an ave of 4000psi usually a little higher.

This is the best way to tune a g3 Lurker DP spool valve tuning guide

it will work for any DP spool

Quote:
G3 tuning guide:

1. Use a good lube.

2. Make sure your o-rings are not overly snug fits - parts should move if you tap the assembly. Replace overtight o-rings. Most fits are OK from the factory, but can be improved.

3. Starting from a low dwell, increase the dwell (while at a reasonable pressure) until your velocity stops rising (the gun will also become VERY loud at this point). Then back off a point.

4. Dial HPR to desired FPS.
this gets you most consistency and the smoothest shot
firefoxx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:33 PM #8
Shru

So your getting about 5-6 pods with a hopper on a 68/4500 filled to 4000
Justicexd is getting 11 pods on a 68/4500 filled to 4000

I am pretty sure than that he has his marker tuned pretty well, and he is usually getting around + or - around 3-5 with the occasional spike of 8 maybe, but this is on mid level paint, not tournament paint either... which we all know that paint can really screw with your consistency....
and paint matched to bore as well

Last time when he was running tests on his g3, he was getting around 453 shots per 1100 psi with a dwell of 10 running at 135 psi on the gauge...
that is with a consistant shot, so that bascially is 1800 shots for a cold 4400 psi fill

Forgot to add: this is on his marker, of course all markers are not going to be the same, he is also running a modded techt bolt engine like i am as well, I currently run my dwell at 11
However, my marker is not as broken in as his is.

Last edited by Shru : 03-14-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Shru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:51 PM #9
firefoxx04
Up the Irons

firefoxx04 supports Bob Gurnsey
firefoxx04 supports DLX Technology
nooo im not saying im maxing at a hoppper and 5-6 pods. im saying i dont run out of air and thats how much paint i shoot.. not sure how much extra i could carry as ive never had to carry more paint.

i understand efficiency is important for people who pay per air fill.

dwell of 10 is a good spot. thats where i actually have it right now i think. I just want to make sure everyone understands diminishing returns.. a dwell of 7 might work but its prolly not desirable compared to 10ms. I bet if you increase the dwell to 12, the fps does go up much, so you would back it back down to 10 or 11.. you sir, are at the sweet spot more than likely. Every gun is different due to oring wear.

When i first got the engines in our guns, we had to run 14ms dwell vs the 12 we had been running. We did this for 2 cases or so and that let us run 12ms until about 5 cases later and now 10ms seems to be doing great.
firefoxx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:25 PM #10
justicexd
mowing faces since '83

Yeah, everybody has different results... I just posted my settings just to give him something to go by. Also, i've never seen an upped g3 work consistently with a dwell of 9. Most of the time, they need to be set to 11 to get that consistent shot.

Last edited by justicexd : 03-14-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:52 PM #11
Chuckasaurus
Giggity

Chuckasaurus plays in the APPA D4 division
When using APE's Tune Assist function, you should put an empty hopper on the marker.

The reason for the empty hopper, is because when the APE board is setting the bolt return delay for you, it needs to "see" the bolt passing in front of the eyes. If there is no hopper on the marker, ambient light *could* shine down into the feedneck of your marker, and affect your eyes, which would cause you to fire the marker forever while your waiting for the APE Tune Assist function to hit the correct bolt return delay setting.

It sounds like this is what happened to the OP.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:02 PM #12
jonathanmanh88

Alright I wil try everything again when I get to the field and have some time
I feel silly having a nice upped g3 that is not tuned well.
However, even with bad effeciency I was using it as my primary, and a geo 2 as my backup (which is now sold) hahaha

Out of curiosity, what are your guy's other settings on the gun other than dwell and bolt return? I haven't played too much with the board yet, but I would like to hear some ballpark numbers haha