PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-08-2012, 12:37 AM #1
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

has been a member for 10 years
Angel Charger Specs

Since replacement chargers are no longer available anymore, a lot of people have been asking for the specs on the stock charger so they can try to find suitable replacements. I took a multi-meter to my stock Angel LCD charger and my stock A4 charger to get the output specs.

NOTE: The charger from the LCD is identical to the charger for the IR3 and they can be used interchangeably. The charger for the A4 and up is universally interchangeable and can be used to charge all of the Angel batteries except for the LED, including the older 6 volt LCD and IR3 batteries.

Both chargers were plugged into a 12v cigarette lighter to wall-outlet adapter. Results:

LCD Charger:

Input from wall adapter: 16.96 volts

Output from charger: 15.96 volts, 1.41 amps

A4/Flex Charger:

Input from wall adapter: 16.96 volts

Output from charger: 14.95 volts, .632 amps (632 milliamps)

The barrel connector on the charger is a 3.5mm outside diameter size H coaxial DC power plug. The outside sleeve is positive, the inside sleeve is ground (note that this is backwards from most common configurations).

Conclusion:

A NiMH charger rated for a battery voltage range of at least 4.8 volts; with an actual output of 12 volts and at least 600 milliamps; with a 3.5mm OD size H coaxial DC power plug connector; and with positive on the outside sleeve and ground on the inside sleeve should be suitable for charging any Angel battery except the LED (LCD/IR3/Speed/A4/A4 Fly/G7/G7 Fly). You can commonly find these types of battery chargers at RC shops and hobby shops. It's important to make sure that any charger you buy is designed for NiMH batteries. The Angel circuit board has a cut-off circuit for charging, so it is technically possible to use a "dumb" charger or a plain DC adapter. However, it is a good idea to use a "smart" charger with its own cut-off circuitry rated for at least 4.8 volts so that it will not over-charge or damage your battery.

Additional Information:

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom01231 View Post
The board itself (for the marker) has a cut off circuit. Now the intelli charger I think has a cut off/ trickle charge function. Ill have to try and dig out the schematic to check and see. Regardless of the function of the Marker board it is always smart to use a smart charger with trickle and or a cut off function. That goes double for these older boards that love to crap out. If sourcing a charger to replace an old angel charger it is suggested that you use a plug that fits the socket correctly as the socket is a switch as well.

The following chargers would be suitable in terms of their specs, but do not include the correct size H coaxial DC power plug connector for the Angel circuit board (you can add this connector yourself). The Tenergy Smart Universal Charger has been confirmed to work:

Tenergy Smart Universal Charger for NiMH/NiCD Battery Packs: 2.4V - 7.2V

4.8V - 10.8V NiMh & NiCD Battery Pack Smart Charger

2.4V - 7.2V NiMH & NiCD Battery Pack Smart Charger

DISCLAIMER:

Your mileage may vary. Use this information at your own risk. Using an incorrect charger can cause damage to your battery and/or circuit board, including leaking/exploding/burning batteries that may cause you physical harm. Use your brain.

Last edited by dr.strangelove : 09-13-2012 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Clarity, detail, added example chargers, additional information
dr.strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:58 AM #2
TyeStick
-I Run With Guns-

TyeStick is playing at Living Legends V
TyeStick is attending Decay of Nations VII
^Nice informative post.

This should be added to the "Ultimate Sticky".
TyeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:46 AM #3
greatwolf329
still sick of idiots

Annual Supporting Member
Don't add it to te ultimate sticky! make it it's own sticky! That way Doc can get the Pursuit achievement. I know my stickies got added to the ultimate and I didn't get the achievement
greatwolf329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:19 PM #4
travis.taylor10ee
tat

Sticky!!! The Dr. does it again...
travis.taylor10ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:23 PM #5
FallNAngel
Vicious Circles

Annual Supporting Member
FallNAngel is a Mega Moderator
FallNAngel is a Supporting Member
FallNAngel is playing at Living Legends VI
FallNAngel is playing at Living Legends VII
FallNAngel supports DLX Technology
I believe the cutoff circuitry is in the board itself; not the charger.

Either way, added to the ultimate sticky.
If you want to set off and go develop some grand new thing, you don't need millions of dollars of capitalization. You need enough pizza and Diet Coke to stick in your refrigerator, a cheap PC to work on, and the dedication to go through with it. We slept on floors. We waded across rivers. -John Carmack

FS: G6R $525 shipped and paypal'd
FallNAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:51 PM #6
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallNAngel View Post
I believe the cutoff circuitry is in the board itself; not the charger.
I thought that as well, but have since been told otherwise back when pittbull01231 was trying to reverse-engineer the charger. Not 100% sure. If there is a cutoff circuit on the board then a smart charger would not be strictly necessary as the board would cut off charging when the battery is full. If anyone can confirm one way or the other I will edit the original post with the information.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:49 PM #7
phantom01231
phantom01231

phantom01231 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
The board itself (for the marker) has a cut off circuit. Now the intelli charger I think has a cut off/ trickle charge function. Ill have to try and dig out the schematic to check and see. Regardless of the function of the Marker board it is always smart to use a smart charger with trickle and or a cut off function. That goes double for these older boards that love to crap out. If sourcing a charger to replace an old angel charger it is suggested that you use a plug that fits the socket correctly as the socket is a switch as well.

FOR REPLACEMENT ANGEL BATTERIES AND MORE
phantom01231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:12 AM #8
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

Thanks a lot for that info - I'll add it to the original post.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:03 PM #9
VanishPaintball

VanishPaintball owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Thank you so much for the above information! Would I be correct in assuming that with any of the chargers you listed (the first of which is on sale for $22 right now), all I'd need is a connector like this one (http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2102487) to solder on?

Thanks again!
VanishPaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:41 PM #10
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

I can't confirm 100% if that's the right plug or not, but you're absolutely right - all you need is the correct plug and you can solder it onto one of the above charging units. Just make sure you wire the outside sleeve positive and inside sleeve ground.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:15 AM #11
phantom01231
phantom01231

phantom01231 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Do be sure you get the correct size or as close to it as you can. The port on the angel board is a switch as well. If you get one to small it may not work right and if you get one to big you could mess it up.

FOR REPLACEMENT ANGEL BATTERIES AND MORE
phantom01231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:33 PM #12
VanishPaintball

Thanks to both of you, I appreciate it!
Old 06-14-2012, 03:01 PM #13
pi.moon

Annual Supporting Member
pi.moon works for a Paintball manufacturer
I just use a Size H Coaxial DC Power Plug from Radio Shack
pi.moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:11 PM #14
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

There you have it. Thanks Bob!
Old 06-21-2012, 11:08 AM #15
VanishPaintball

Well, I bought the first charger and the connector from Radio Shack. Followed the instructions from the A4 manual for the order of operations. Connected the charger's positive line (+) to the outside of the connector and the other to the inside (ground). Nothing at all happens. The charger's fine, it's indicator lights function properly when I plug it in. However, upon connecting the Angel, the charger does not indicate that it is charging and there is no sign of life from the Angel.

How might I go about troubleshooting the Angel to see where the problem lies?

Thanks!!

(Also, if you'd like me to start a new thread instead of cluttering this one, I'm happy to. Just thought I'd stay here since you guys were already working with me on this issue.)
Old 06-21-2012, 06:55 PM #16
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

Check your wiring, make sure your on/off switch is in the "ON" position, double check the switch for continuity, double check the output of the charger on your connector to make sure a solder joint hasn't popped loose, etc.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:42 PM #17
VanishPaintball

Wiring checks out, switch is on, switch checks for plenty of ohms. But I'm getting no voltage out of the charger in the first place.

So... I'm new to these smart chargers. Is it possible that it's not going to spit out voltage until it detects that it's on a (not ruined) battery and that my battery is just too far gone; or is it looking like I got a bum charger?

I went with the first charger of the three you listed. There are two outputs. The primary one goes out to the modular connectors provided (I've been working off the alligator clips) an has 0.009-0.011 V going to it. The second output connects to some other pair of wires that seemingly terminate in nothing but shrinkwrap. When I remove that extension, that output has 4.6V going to it.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:23 PM #18
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

Hmmm. Obviously you aren't going to get any charging with zero or negligible voltage, so the problem's isolated to the charger. If there's 2 sets of outputs and you're getting a reasonable output out of one, that's probably the one you want to use. I am not familiar with that exact charger though, so you'll need to work that out yourself.

If you pull your battery, clip the wires up towards the middle where they can be easily repaired, and use the alligator clips from the charger you should be able to determine what set of outputs is the correct one for charging, make sure your battery will take a charge, and then go from there.

Last edited by dr.strangelove : 06-22-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:24 PM #19
Chris From Flurry

Chris From Flurry has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I was just checking my chargers and I seemed to get different voltage output readings than you did. I have an LCD marked charger which came with my IR3 and I have an A4 charger.

I ran 3 different measurement tests: Wall adapter reading, Cigarette lighter reading w/ car off, and Cigarette lighter reading with car running. I was using a digital multimeter taking the readings from the end of the plug.

LCD Charger

Wall adapter reading: 12.79 volts

Cigarette lighter reading w/ car off: 12.22 volts

Cigarette lighter reading with car running: 13.76 volts

A4 Charger

Wall adapter reading: 12.79 volts

Cigarette lighter reading w/ car off: 12.11 volts

Cigarette lighter reading with car running: 13.59 volts

I wonder if the different wall adapters give different outputs. Mine is marked that it has an output between 12 -18volts. If there is something I'm missing for why my numbers were different please let me know.

Thanks
Chris From Flurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:38 PM #20
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

That's not surprising. The output varies depending on the input from the adapter. The voltage at my house runs on the high side, and as you saw, my 12v wall adapter is spitting out nearly 17v whereas yours is closer to 13v. The variance in input accounts for the difference.

Different wall adapters will absolutely give different outputs, as well. The cheapo adapters you can pick up for around $10 tend to run higher on their output than more expensive adapters.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:15 AM #21
DB-1071
ON THE SIDE OF ANGELS!!!!

DB-1071 is playing at Living Legends V
DB-1071 is playing at Living Legends VI
DB-1071 is playing at Living Legends VII
DB-1071 is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
DB-1071 is a top reviewer
Hey Doc do you think you can post a quick video on how to safely use the chargers you suggested, for the machinists who are not electrically trained???

PBNation definition from Urban Dictionary:
A web site where, on any given evening, one may find approximately 500 paintball enthusiasts discussing the sport, and 1500 teenagers calling each other gay.

GO ON, I DARE YOU!! GO ON I DARE YOU, AGAIN!!!
" Physician heal thyself!! " The War Doctor
DB-1071 is offline   Reply With Quote