Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 06-20-2011, 06:59 PM #1
m20power

Idea for pump with dump valve. Need critique.

I was reading this thread and the idea of a very low pressure pump sounded interesting.
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3426440

I had previously thought of making a pump that used a system besides a popit valve. I've sketched out some ideas but before I draw something up in Solid Works I thought I would ask here to see if anyone had tried something similar before.

Plan: Pump arm would have a rod which went backwards to a bolt. The bolt would only be responsible for cycling a new round into the barrel. Behind the bolt would be the firing system. My goal is to have a dump chamber that seals off the air input as the firing is initiated. I wanted to actuate it with either a 3 way from a cocker inside the grip frame or a pneumatic trigger of some kind. Velocity would be adjusted via HPR.

Concerns: I don't know if the speed the trigger is pulled will effect velocity.

Since the pump stroke does not actually recock any part of the firing system you could continually pull the trigger releasing air but no paint. You may also be able to pull the trigger and release air while the bolt is not fully sealed forward.

So any suggestions? Has this been tried and proved to be unfeasible?
m20power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-22-2011, 08:12 PM #2
new ion?
Uni Sucks....

okay, the only way i really see a spoolie sort of pump would work is being shocker based.

the dump chamber around the bolt, the trigger moving (either directly or pneumatically) a piston that then moves the bolt pin...

maybe take inspiration from those?

WTB cocker pneus, slider & Karni FB

PMR UL Frame FS

Jack Wood:
And I think that if you think something is bull****, you have every right to say you think it is. Just because bull**** is the norm doesn't mean it stinks any less.
new ion? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:01 PM #3
pbjosh
In February -

pbjosh is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
pbjosh works for a Paintball manufacturer
I build a spool based pump, shoot the CCI revolution is basically that.

There are lots of ways. Look at the SLG action and run a stacked tube.

Mine was open bolt, but really interesting. Normal sear, biased arrangment for a forward cycle. I could even build a version with no external parts.

Colin @ Deadly wind: “We need to stay away from each other. You scare me.”

Owner of Patent #7610907: Paintball marker action assembly
pbjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:28 PM #4
m20power

I remember a long time ago I had an idea for a valve cap for mountain bikes that would show you the pressure you had in your tires. Pinch flats was a big problem and being able to visually check that you were in the right range would be a big help. A few years later I see my idea all over store shelves and I just thought damn it why didn't I try to do something with that idea.

Its cool to see that CCI is finally coming out with a new marker. I guess I can't complain much since they had this basic idea back in the early 90s. I had considered making this marker a few years ago but nothing came of it. I guess my lesson is next time I have a bright idea I should follow through with creating it.

To make it more compact I also had an idea of making a rotating bolt. The pump stroke would just rotate it 1/4 turn. I ended up abandoning that idea. Maybe I would do it in a second prototype. For now my drawings basically look like a mechanical ion using a 3 way to dump pressure. Once the 3 way resets it returns the bolt to the back position.

If the new CCI gun is basically what I'm describing then I may just end up getting one of those. I have a friend with a mill but even paying him in beer will add up quick.
m20power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:34 PM #5
pbjosh
In February -

Yeah, I did get a patent on my layout, so I am not so worried about somebody taking it.

The CCI is does have the rotary bolt, and a simple spool. The Metadyne pump, I am not sure on the valve, but I believe it is a spooler also? I haven't looked into it enough to say.

pbjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:25 PM #6
kill-n-spree
MythicalAngelPumpWeilder

What is the patent number? I would like to take a look at it.
COBRA G7,Angel 1,Master tech Angel Force Fly,Angel Gat,Custom Angel Led ,2000 LCD Angel Pump,2k1 Dark Angel,04 Angel Speed,C&C Angel IR3,Ice Fade G7 Fly,DM4,Eblade,Grey Ghost,PGP,2006 Grey Ghost,BLong Cocker,Angel G7,Cobra Mamba FLY,2K1 Angel Fly,Rasta G7 Fly,Dark 2K3 Angel,Euro Angel,2k2 Apollo Angel,2k1 Cobra signature series,Rev-i,Angel IR3 Fly,Disco Dust Dark IR3,05 Speed,2K Blazer,Rasta A4 Fly

Angel Army
kill-n-spree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:43 PM #7
pbjosh
In February -

It is in my sig: #7610907

http://www.google.com/patents/US7610907