Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2012, 10:28 PM #43
tanner202
 
 
tanner202's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by black_angus View Post
Eh, pushups are a good way to get a lot of volume in. Do 100 of them every day for a month and there will be definite results.
If you want to get technical about it, yeah obviously. Saying they are "some of the best exercises you can do" is just ****ing stupid though
__________________
"If you are reading this, thank a teacher.
If you are reading this in English, thank a soldier."

"Originally posted by pillowpants: i dont know how to decipher this chart, then again, i do go to a community college."
"Originally posted by Mr.AmaZiN: did you just use an apostrophe for want?"
"Originally posted by pb123456789: Or call her a **** and proceed to textrape her."
"Originally posted by dualimpact: They haven't walked in on me but they know, I'm a screamer."
tanner202 is offline  
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-28-2012, 10:34 PM #44
black_angus
hooah hooah hooah hooah
 
black_angus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: The Great State of Iowa
Well there's really no negative to doing them. They're certainly one of the best bodyweight exercises. I'd say second best, to pull ups. But yeah, in the whole realm of things, they aren't super amazing.


Anyway:
2/28: Lower ME

Rack pulls w/ reverse green bands- 545x3
Barbell hip thrusts 3x10
Back raises+25lb plate 3x10
Front squat holds- 385x30x2

Notes: Good ****ing god I hate the ***** pads my gym has. Also, I noticed that the "rack pulls" are less than 1/2" above the raised platform of the rack, so it's basically a full ROM deadlift. The 545x3 wasn't super difficult, so I'd say a 550 pull should be manageable by April.
__________________
Iowa Hawkeyes
Miami Hurricanes
Washington Redskins
Hate the Cowboys? Show it here.
black_angus is offline  
Old 02-28-2012, 11:27 PM #45
Barber
Moose Krew.
 
Barber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: 765
 has been a member for 10 years
Barber plays in the PSP
Barber is an NCPA player
Barber plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikilwig View Post
Did 200 push ups as a warm up then did a hybrid DC training/P90x/IIFYM/Sheiko at the gym today. My muscles feel pretty shocked.
IIFYM? 'If it fits your macros?' Or is there another meaning to that acronym?

Took a week off from the gym and came back and switched my rep pattern on squats. Might have been a bad idea, the 7th and 8th rep were rough even on light weights. Would blast through 4 then almost stall on the last one. Might try progressing with reps and then weight and alternate. Ex:

Week 1: 225 3x5
Week 2: 225 3x8
Week 3: 235 3x5, etc.

I felt that the SS method of progression wasn't working well for me. I felt like it encouraged me to force progress when progress wasn't there yet. I think being as tall as I am hinders my linear progression. Or maybe I wasn't eating and sleeping enough then. (I get more of both now).
__________________
ÚSKay All Day
Barber is offline  
Old 02-28-2012, 11:30 PM #46
Culture Evil
Termocycler
 
Culture Evil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Middle Earth
Annual Supporting Member
Culture Evil is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barber View Post
IIFYM? 'If it fits your macros?' Or is there another meaning to that acronym?
yeah thats what it means
Culture Evil is offline  
Old 02-28-2012, 11:32 PM #47
Barber
Moose Krew.
 
Barber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: 765
 has been a member for 10 years
Barber plays in the PSP
Barber is an NCPA player
Barber plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture Evil View Post
yeah thats what it means
I don't understand how that correlates to anything that would happen in a gym.
__________________
ÚSKay All Day
Barber is offline  
Old 02-28-2012, 11:41 PM #48
URBANxFLOW
***
 
URBANxFLOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barber View Post
IIFYM? 'If it fits your macros?' Or is there another meaning to that acronym?
If I **** your mother...
A hypothetical divertissement.
__________________
six3one
*******
S/N Obey Prints
URBANxFLOW is offline  
Old 02-28-2012, 11:45 PM #49
123paintball_dude
 
 
123paintball_dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
 has been a member for 10 years
I keep plateauing at 155 on bench, I'm doing a SS 5x5 routine. I've been keeping good progress on my squats, deads, etc. but my bench keeps getting stuck. I do 5x5 pretty easily, then fail on the 4th or 5th set at 160, advice on how to get past this? It's pretty annoying, I've tried dropping back down to 145 and working back up to 160, but same thing happens, get to 160 and I fail. I'm squatting 235 and DL'ing 285.
123paintball_dude is offline  
Old 02-28-2012, 11:47 PM #50
tanner202
 
 
tanner202's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
I usually moved down to 3x3-5 when I stalled or tried to advance in weight

Could also try 1x5, up weight 1x3, return to original weight 1x5
__________________
"If you are reading this, thank a teacher.
If you are reading this in English, thank a soldier."

"Originally posted by pillowpants: i dont know how to decipher this chart, then again, i do go to a community college."
"Originally posted by Mr.AmaZiN: did you just use an apostrophe for want?"
"Originally posted by pb123456789: Or call her a **** and proceed to textrape her."
"Originally posted by dualimpact: They haven't walked in on me but they know, I'm a screamer."
tanner202 is offline  
Old 02-29-2012, 12:00 AM #51
Mr.Familiar
We're all the same
 
Mr.Familiar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123paintball_dude View Post
I keep plateauing at 155 on bench, I'm doing a SS 5x5 routine. I've been keeping good progress on my squats, deads, etc. but my bench keeps getting stuck. I do 5x5 pretty easily, then fail on the 4th or 5th set at 160, advice on how to get past this? It's pretty annoying, I've tried dropping back down to 145 and working back up to 160, but same thing happens, get to 160 and I fail. I'm squatting 235 and DL'ing 285.
Are you getting enough protein to support muscle growth? Are you eating good enough meals to give you enough energy? Are you mixing in your workouts with cardio so your vascular system can grow and supply those muscles with oxygen and nutrients during reps?

Also, throw on 165-170 and have a buddy help you lift it 1-2 times.

edit: also, are you over training? Make sure you take some days off so your muscles rest so they can rebuild.
__________________
Twothousandandfour.
Any man who knows a thing, knows that he knows not a damn, damn thing at all. K'Naan

Poor man, living a rich life
"Lay your facts by the side of every-day practices of this nation and you will say with me that, for revolting barbarity and shameless hypocrisy, America reigns without a rival." -Frederick Douglass

Last edited by Mr.Familiar : 02-29-2012 at 01:52 AM.
Mr.Familiar is offline  
Old 02-29-2012, 12:01 AM #52
theDJ
puzzling
 
theDJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Familiar View Post
Are you getting enough protein to support muscle growth? Are you eating good enough meals to give you enough energy? Are you mixing in your workouts with cardio so your vascular system can grow and supply those muscles with oxygen and nutrients during reps?

Also, throw on 165-170 and have a buddy help you lift it 1-2 times.
lol
theDJ is offline  
Old 02-29-2012, 12:02 AM #53
Mr.Familiar
We're all the same
 
Mr.Familiar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
__________________
Twothousandandfour.
Any man who knows a thing, knows that he knows not a damn, damn thing at all. K'Naan

Poor man, living a rich life
"Lay your facts by the side of every-day practices of this nation and you will say with me that, for revolting barbarity and shameless hypocrisy, America reigns without a rival." -Frederick Douglass
Mr.Familiar is offline  
Old 02-29-2012, 12:09 AM #54
tanner202
 
 
tanner202's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
pushups to failure between sets
__________________
"If you are reading this, thank a teacher.
If you are reading this in English, thank a soldier."

"Originally posted by pillowpants: i dont know how to decipher this chart, then again, i do go to a community college."
"Originally posted by Mr.AmaZiN: did you just use an apostrophe for want?"
"Originally posted by pb123456789: Or call her a **** and proceed to textrape her."
"Originally posted by dualimpact: They haven't walked in on me but they know, I'm a screamer."
tanner202 is offline  
Old 02-29-2012, 12:26 AM #55
theDJ
puzzling
 
theDJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: 562
nah, just load up 10-15lbs more than you can bench and have your spotter pull it off your chest once or twice. that's how Mr.Familiar blasts through plateau's
theDJ is offline  
Old 02-29-2012, 12:57 AM #56
Nikilwig
Double Up
 
Nikilwig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Nikilwig plays in the PSP
Nikilwig is for the Gunfight
Nikilwig is for the Gunfight
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123paintball_dude View Post
I keep plateauing at 155 on bench, I'm doing a SS 5x5 routine. I've been keeping good progress on my squats, deads, etc. but my bench keeps getting stuck. I do 5x5 pretty easily, then fail on the 4th or 5th set at 160, advice on how to get past this? It's pretty annoying, I've tried dropping back down to 145 and working back up to 160, but same thing happens, get to 160 and I fail. I'm squatting 235 and DL'ing 285.
Are you tracking what you eat? How much surplus?

What's your main sticking point on the bench?

Retract your scapula, and keep it retracted the entire movement. Don't flare your elbows out. Create a slightly exaggerated lower back curve so you can fit someones hand/arm under there. Your legs should be solidly planted in the ground and your upper back/traps digging into the bench, you should get a little bit of trap pump from benching. Drive with your legs, and make sure your leg drive is reinforcing your back positioning and pushing your upperback into the bench and maintaining your lower back curvature while keep your butt on the bench. Grip the bar real tight and almost pull it out of the rack not really pushing up and out. Don't roll your shoulders forward at the top of the movement when you extend (if you lockout 100%), keep the shoulders retracted.
__________________
New England Avalanche

Have you shot a Vangaurd Demon yet?
Vanguard Demon | NXE | GI SPORTZ | Ninja Paintball | Warzone Paintball | Shadow Barrels | RAZA
Nikilwig is offline  
Old 02-29-2012, 01:37 AM #57
Mr.Familiar
We're all the same
 
Mr.Familiar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by theDJ View Post
nah, just load up 10-15lbs more than you can bench and have your spotter pull it off your chest once or twice. that's how Mr.Familiar blasts through plateau's
try it, *****.

The body adapts to various stresses that we put on it. Not only will it let him get used to what that much weight feels like, but his muscles will think that is what they will have to lift in the future...hence they adapt. It's called overload.
__________________
Twothousandandfour.
Any man who knows a thing, knows that he knows not a damn, damn thing at all. K'Naan

Poor man, living a rich life
"Lay your facts by the side of every-day practices of this nation and you will say with me that, for revolting barbarity and shameless hypocrisy, America reigns without a rival." -Frederick Douglass

Last edited by Mr.Familiar : 02-29-2012 at 01:41 AM.
Mr.Familiar is offline  
Old 02-29-2012, 01:43 AM #58
theDJ
puzzling
 
theDJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: 562
your knowledge is obviously far too vast for me to comprehend
theDJ is offline  
Old 02-29-2012, 01:44 AM #59
Mr.Familiar
We're all the same
 
Mr.Familiar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Then shut the **** up.


<3
__________________
Twothousandandfour.
Any man who knows a thing, knows that he knows not a damn, damn thing at all. K'Naan

Poor man, living a rich life
"Lay your facts by the side of every-day practices of this nation and you will say with me that, for revolting barbarity and shameless hypocrisy, America reigns without a rival." -Frederick Douglass
Mr.Familiar is offline  
Old 02-29-2012, 01:55 AM #60
theDJ
puzzling
 
theDJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: 562
your physique alone speaks for your vast amount obvious of personal experience and applied knowledge
theDJ is offline  
Old 02-29-2012, 01:59 AM #61
Mr.Familiar
We're all the same
 
Mr.Familiar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011


What's wrong with my physique brah?
__________________
Twothousandandfour.
Any man who knows a thing, knows that he knows not a damn, damn thing at all. K'Naan

Poor man, living a rich life
"Lay your facts by the side of every-day practices of this nation and you will say with me that, for revolting barbarity and shameless hypocrisy, America reigns without a rival." -Frederick Douglass
Mr.Familiar is offline  
Old 02-29-2012, 02:39 AM #62
123paintball_dude
 
 
123paintball_dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikilwig View Post
Are you tracking what you eat? How much surplus?

What's your main sticking point on the bench?

Retract your scapula, and keep it retracted the entire movement. Don't flare your elbows out. Create a slightly exaggerated lower back curve so you can fit someones hand/arm under there. Your legs should be solidly planted in the ground and your upper back/traps digging into the bench, you should get a little bit of trap pump from benching. Drive with your legs, and make sure your leg drive is reinforcing your back positioning and pushing your upperback into the bench and maintaining your lower back curvature while keep your butt on the bench. Grip the bar real tight and almost pull it out of the rack not really pushing up and out. Don't roll your shoulders forward at the top of the movement when you extend (if you lockout 100%), keep the shoulders retracted.
I'm eating 2200cals on average, which I think is about my maintenance (I've been hanging out between 190-200). I'm sticking between 1/4 to 1/2 of the way up, I'll definitely try to tighten up my technique (I know it's not quite as good as it should be).
123paintball_dude is offline  
Old 02-29-2012, 06:15 AM #63
hsilman
Disgustipated
 
hsilman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Big Apple
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123paintball_dude View Post
I'm eating 2200cals on average, which I think is about my maintenance (I've been hanging out between 190-200). I'm sticking between 1/4 to 1/2 of the way up, I'll definitely try to tighten up my technique (I know it's not quite as good as it should be).
obviously eating a bit more and locking down your technique would be good advice.

if you've stalled twice, I'd just go to 3x5 and keep progressing.
__________________
This is necessary. Life feeds on life
feeds on life
feeds on life
hsilman is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump