Community Focus

Old 02-28-2012, 10:13 PM #1
slateman

slateman is a Supporting Member
slateman is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
slateman is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Anyone regret getting a motorcycle?

So, thinking about getting one. I'd like a sports car, but I can't afford one. On top of that, gas is getting rather expensive.

I've always wanted to get a bike. I almost got one when I was in the Marines, but discovered that owning it and driving it on base was a colossal PIA.

Now I'm thinking about getting one. Would be good for commuting on non/raining days. Everyone I know who has one says its a ton of fun.

But, are there any of you out there who have regretted it? Either due to cost or injury or some other reason?
Advertisement
Old 02-28-2012, 10:20 PM #2
carcrazycorey
Meow

carcrazycorey helped look for balloons
carcrazycorey has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
carcrazycorey has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
carcrazycorey has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
carcrazycorey has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Don't be an idiot on it and there should be no reason to regret it.
carcrazycorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:24 PM #3
DrobertsPB
You rebel scum

I don't really see why, if guys want to stop riding I assume they just sell it.
DrobertsPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:27 PM #4
Dc5turbo
Ricer

common sense = winning on those bikes.
Dc5turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:30 PM #5
automagwarrior

automagwarrior has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Yeah, motorcycles are stupid don't get one. They are dangerous and a waste of money.
automagwarrior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:31 PM #6
zoink
cats cats cats

zoink is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Kinda, because now I can't not have one.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:36 PM #7
yuik
Mr Diet Coke on the Rocks

Annual Supporting Member
yuik is playing at Living Legends V
yuik is playing at Living Legends VI
yuik is an NCPA player
yuik plays in the APPA D5 division
yuik is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
yuik is Legendary
as long as its a gixxer you wont regret it

Huge gearbag sale. Everything you can imagine including bob saget!

RED JMJ Smooth Mill viking RobTown Valve Ultralight Frame!
yuik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:37 PM #8
carcrazycorey
Meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by automagwarrior View Post
Yeah, motorcycles are stupid don't get one. They are dangerous and a waste of money.

You're better off just buying me a second one, so I can regret it even more.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:26 PM #9
MR.JABM

MR.JABM supports our troops
My dad nearly refuses to let me have one. He says they're a waste of money that will only get me killed.

That being said, he has two.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:28 PM #10
kfresh
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

i regret not having one.
kfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:37 PM #11
auto-aimer

auto-aimer owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazycorey
Don't be an idiot on it and there should be no reason to regret it.
I kind of regret getting mine. I rode it a handful of times that's it. No matter how great of a rider you are, **** can happen any second when you're on it. Also there are people out there who specifically aim for bikers to get them into accidents. If you have a bike you know what im talking about. I got a 08 gsxr and I'll be selling it shortly. It's definitely a whole lot of fun and it's an adrenaline rush, but it's not really worth it in the end if you are dead or in a wheel chair. Just my 2 cent, the older you are, the more wiser you get.
auto-aimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:56 PM #12
carcrazycorey
Meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto-aimer View Post
I kind of regret getting mine. I rode it a handful of times that's it. No matter how great of a rider you are, **** can happen any second when you're on it. Also there are people out there who specifically aim for bikers to get them into accidents. If you have a bike you know what im talking about. I got a 08 gsxr and I'll be selling it shortly. It's definitely a whole lot of fun and it's an adrenaline rush, but it's not really worth it in the end if you are dead or in a wheel chair. Just my 2 cent, the older you are, the more wiser you get.
Oh, I know what it's like. I ride mine almost every day racking on 10k miles in just over 8 months. It's a risk you take though. I look at it as great way to clear my mind, enjoy myself and the bike, save money on gas, and have fun. **** can happen to anyone, at any time, driving anything. You can be killed just as easy in a car as you can on a bike. That being said I don't regret owning one, and I won't. I've been down before, but I've continued to ride.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:19 AM #13
UglyDuckGizmo
Surfer of pavement.

Quote:
Sounds like you had a very poor introduction to motorcycles. That is a shame. Why don't you go do a trackday on your gsx-r, where you don't have to worry about cars? That's where that bike belongs. It's not a commuter.

People do stupid things, but they don't intentionally attempt to cause an accident with a motorcycle. Don't be stupid.

I've found that the longer I ride the less "incidents" I tend to have with the cagers. You learn to ANTICIPATE what they're going to do and react accordingly before it's even an issue.

For the original question, no I don't. Changed my life.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

"Originally posted by drunkkoala: does that make sense to you? u ****ing idiot."

Last edited by UglyDuckGizmo : 02-29-2012 at 12:21 AM.
UglyDuckGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:36 AM #14
kfresh
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyDuckGizmo View Post
Sounds like you had a very poor introduction to motorcycles. That is a shame. Why don't you go do a trackday on your gsx-r, where you don't have to worry about cars? That's where that bike belongs. It's not a commuter.

People do stupid things, but they don't intentionally attempt to cause an accident with a motorcycle. Don't be stupid.

I've found that the longer I ride the less "incidents" I tend to have with the cagers. You learn to ANTICIPATE what they're going to do and react accordingly before it's even an issue.

For the original question, no I don't. Changed my life.
i have a very small low to the ground car and even in that i've had to learn to anticipate what large suv's/trucks are going to do.

can't tell you how many times someone has tried to merg into me.
kfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:45 AM #15
yuik

Annual Supporting Member
yuik is an NCPA player
yuik is Legendary
Depends her

Old 02-29-2012, 12:46 AM #16
yuik

Annual Supporting Member
yuik is an NCPA player
yuik is Legendary
Depends Where you live . Where I grew up NJ side of NYC , there's traffic out the *** , little to no acceleration lanes , a ton of hills with stoplights that are bumper to bumper a **** ton of blind driveways or even worse douche nuggets parking all the way to the curb so people can't see the one ways they are turning onto and a **** ton of cell phone usage . I saw a dude get clipped by a woman in a range rover in front of Eli mannings building ( the bike guy was leaving there he prolly lived there or was ****ing someone there) , the helmet did **** ( full head protection ) he was ****ing bleeding from his eye sockets . Not sure what happened to him .

Funny though most of the kids who died from bike crashes died in rural areas riding , one was a marine who fell off and slide under an 18 wheeler and got crushed , the other got rear ended coming back from a country ride ( I actually also knew the girl who rear ended them ) 2 out of the 5 guys died I think 1 in the front didn't even fall but 4 of them took the spill .

Don't let **** like this deter you but be real . If your living in downtown LA and want a bike because you think it will be a ***** magnet or because it will accelerate faster then any car you can afford these probably Arnt the right reasons to own one .

Also find some friends to ride with and get some loud *** pipes , dumb *****es are less likely to pull out without looking if they hear loud noises coming their way . ( I have a friend who gets similiar reactions that my super hellatone horns do by opening the cutout on his 375 rwhp Trans am and giving it a rev ). Wear proper gear too aka dress for the fall not the ride .

Last edited by yuik : 02-29-2012 at 12:56 AM. Reason: ****ing iPhone.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:25 AM #17
pink04teletubbie
I <3 Boobies

i regret buying a bike every time it rains, snows, or temps dip below 40

DD. Not just my girl's bra size
pink04teletubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:20 AM #18
Milky Spore
i be illin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink04teletubbie View Post
i regret buying a bike every time it rains, snows, or temps dip below 40
you're a sissy.

if you have to ask then no, a probably bike isn't for you. in a sense, they're a masochists machine. if anything i regret having to own cars.

if anything you can find an older ninja 250 or honda cb to learn on. they're easy. if you end up not liking it you can sell either of these bikes for as much, if not more than what you bought it for.

Last edited by Milky Spore : 02-29-2012 at 06:22 AM.
Milky Spore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:25 AM #19
NoelyDeezNutz
Rebel against

NoelyDeezNutz plays in the USPL
NoelyDeezNutz plays in the PSP
NoelyDeezNutz owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
NoelyDeezNutz owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
NoelyDeezNutz is a top reviewer
I've wanted to ride a motorcycle for over 10 years now... No one around me wanted me to ever get on one. My parents were especially against it. I told them that I would wait a while, to show them that it wasn't just a phase or a fad. This past year I finally got all my stuff and a bike.

I got hit by a car within the first week of owning the bike. I didn't go down, but it still wasnt a pleasant experience. No one got hurt, no damage was done. The guy was in a left turn only lane, with his turn signal on to turn left, and decided that left would be a bad idea, and went into the right lane, where I was, caused me to pinball off another car and back into him. Very scary, I really thought I was going to wreck bad...

I ride almost every day to work, almost all highway. I ride in the rain, I ride in the cold... The only time I wont ride is if there is snow on the ground, or if it rains and the temp dips to where it may freeze on the road.

I laugh when I see people call themselves "real bikers" because of the bike they ride, but they only take it out on 65*+ days and only to show it off... I know people who have spent ~$20k on a bike, and have had it for 8-10 years now, and I've racked up more miles on my bike I bought in september, then they did in those 8-10 years.

People are stupid, it's a given. I find myself on the shoulder often because people try to merge into my lane and I have to ride out on to the shoulder to keep from being hit. Loud pipes don't save lives, they get you pulled over...

I think buying a motorcycle was one of the best things I ever did. Cost wise, it can't be beat. Full coverage insurance is less than $350 a year, my monthly bike payment is under $100. Gas can go to $10 a gallon, and I wouldn't care... At $3.99/Gal, I just topped off my tank, last time I put gas in was 10 days before. The total was $7.84. Thats with riding to work mon-fri, and a little joy riding also, and a few rides on the weekend.
NoelyDeezNutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:36 AM #20
cynicalrider
robert paulson

Quote:
If you bought that GSXR as your first bike I'm not surprised in the least bit that you are selling it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuik View Post
Also find some friends to ride with and get some loud *** pipes , dumb *****es are less likely to pull out without looking if they hear loud noises coming their way .
The whole loud pipes save lives argument is pretty retarded. Also it's hard finding a good group of riders you can trust.

That being said the only thing I ever regretted was selling my first one have having to be without for a year. Otherwise it's the best thing I've ever done. I know the risks and have accepted them. I know my limits and know the consequences of pushing them and I know how valuable good gear is. I don't think I'll ever be without a motorcycle.
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"

ST:A - Not your Myspace Blog.
cynicalrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:41 AM #21
adgergewh

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuik View Post
Also find some friends to ride with and get some loud *** pipes , dumb *****es are less likely to pull out without looking if they hear loud noises coming their way .
as a motorcycle rider that's pretty much just BS, it's pretty hard to hear pipes coming up behind you no matter how loud they are. sounds a bit different than one flying by you if you're on foot.