lewizz124
Slewis

has been a member for 10 years
lewizz124 is playing at Living Legends VII
lewizz124 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
lewizz124 plays in the APPA D4 division
lewizz124 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
anyone else in my shoes?

So Im just curious how many others are out there like me at this stage in paintball.
When I was a youngster I loved paintball the second i played it in the woods with a spyder and found I was better than a lot of my friends at it. So, I dove in head first spending all my time and money on paintball. I followed the footsteps of the other more "experienced" and got the better gear got the jerseys and all the fancy crap. I got really involved at the local field and put together 3 man team and started playing some tournys. I even got on the roster to play with a team at PSP chicago open in 2006, but my mom blocked me from going (long story I was 16 at the time). Paintball stretched me really thin at that point and I finally figured I couldnt afford it and when I went to college it just didn't fit in with my life anymore. So I was done with it.

Now I'm picking it up again and have been playing at a rec field at school. But this time ive got some nice goggles and loose cargo pants and shoot an Azodin marker. Its simple and best of all... it's FUN again now that I'm not straining so hard to be "good". Has anyone else out there gotten older and gone back to your roots? The guys where im playing are a lot of first timers and they think I dont know jack about paintball lol. Its great i dont talk about my old matrix days or brag about tournys. I just play and have fun and SAVE MONEY.

So anyone else get sick of the jerseys and gucci gear and kick it like a noob?
Old 02-28-2012, 06:34 PM #2
bearbro

bearbro has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
This makes me sad because I am litterally living your life, but just getting into the 'creating 3man team with friends' stage to try and get competitive... all the while saving money for a new high end marker and equipement. Even better, in one year I'll be going to college and just like you I probably wont be able to play haha.
bearbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:49 PM #3
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
Welcome to the forth stage of your evolution as a player!

It's been known about a long time, even before the advent of jerseys and bouncy house fields...

...but amazingly it gets forgotten about over and over.

But really it's the best stage of being a player. Play when you want, where you want, with what you want, as often or as little as you want to.

000110 200 11202 10 000020
012211 021 22110 22 121101
222001 222 10220 00 022212
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:59 PM #4
krazykubes

krazykubes has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Great pic... Not too sure where I fit in, but does it really matter?
krazykubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:19 PM #5
lewizz124
Slewis

Haha! Ive never seen that pic! I actually feel better than ever tho and theres no pressure. I'm having a blast with out all the egos (not markers) and jockying for respect. Oh and bearbro don't get sad just don't get so consumed with the gear. Use your money to play and be positive for the sport while your still young without bills. And do everyone a favor and try not to wear so many colors and skulls you look like a gothic clown at a rave party.

Last edited by lewizz124 : 02-28-2012 at 08:24 PM.
lewizz124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:15 AM #6
tgs-killer
Independent Variable.

Oh I've been here a multitude of times, although it was painful and excruciating, it has been a great learning experience
But I've been quite the opposite, I was rocking all of the speed-ball gear when first starting up, because the gear was high quality and above all, athletic in nature with emphasis of breathability. After quitting a few times, I was in the rec-ball stage wearing tactical gear and the sorts..found that it wasn't my style of play so I quite again because for one, the gear was heavy and not that breathable, so my overheat prone body gets overheated even faster and longer which heavily effects my playing style (whatever that is..) And now only to come back now decked in speed-ball gear again. I am not that good of a player because I hardly practice aside from running around in the backyard, and so the only time that I paintball is on my free time which is 2-3 times a year of 'actual' paintball. I think I am what you call a "poser"
Anyway, I am more of a marker technician and a helper than a paintballer, I've no idea why..
Great posts fellas, it's good to hear that others have come from similar routes

-Jarred
While the majority of people not need firearms, consider that this tool is now widely distributed to most of all peoples, including bad people. Such people who will do harm with one of these tools in time. So we ought to have to ability to defend ourselves against said threats with equal or greater fire power. Unfortunately, tis only law-abiding citizens are primarily being targeted by Government. Further, crime is caused by unlawful peoples of society, so how are Government orders going to now effect the criminals if the orders hadn't affected them initially? There is a hidden agenda here. Think about it
tgs-killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:54 AM #7
Furtive Orphan

Furtive Orphan has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Furtive Orphan has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Furtive Orphan has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
im in the beginner stage and i want to keep it there. i play paintball for the fun of it, not to play tourny although i might do that at some point. i want to keep paintballing as a fun time not work. so yes i like kicking it as a noob
Furtive Orphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:05 AM #8
jweav151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furtive Orphan View Post
im in the beginner stage and i want to keep it there.
I'll second that.
jweav151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:22 AM #9
o5pr3y
Watch out for Snakes!!

Annual Supporting Member
o5pr3y plays in the PSP
o5pr3y plays in the APPA D4 division
o5pr3y has achieved Level 6 in PbNation Pursuit
o5pr3y is Legendary
o5pr3y is Boss
Lol that pic is awesome!

I know how you feel OP. I took a break for a bit and when i got back in, I switched to mags, cockers, and pumps. So much more fun that stressingt on how/why I got shot, and how to beat the other team at the next scrim/event.

NORCAL CLASSIC#09
ANSgear / Zephyr / 31st Outfitters / Cutting Edge Paintball Shop / Santa Clara Paintball / American Paintball Park

Dangerous Power Rev-I // Angel Speed 05 FST // Both with extras!
Box O' Timmy parts!
"To kill for yourself is Murder, to kill for your country is Heroic, to kill for entertainment is Harmless"
o5pr3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:51 AM #10
pbcustom98
Goldmember

pbcustom98 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
pbcustom98 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
pbcustom98 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
it doesnt matter what i'm shooting/wearing etc. if i'm not having fun, i wont waste my time anymore.
pbcustom98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:58 AM #11
crippy02
Dat Coonass

crippy02 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
crippy02 is for the Gunfight
crippy02 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
crippy02 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
crippy02 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I went from noob to experienced, then to beginner, now i'm going to expert...

You air up the marker, put on the gloves, strap on the mask, and walk onto the field.. it doesn't matter that you failed a test, that your girlfriend broke up with you last night, or that you got a ticket on the way there... your world is right for the next couple hours, this is your heaven on earth.. live it.. love it.. Paintball

CK MAFIA
crippy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:06 AM #12
newagepirate
Digital Frontier

newagepirate plays in the PSP
newagepirate plays in the APPA D4 division
I quit for a span of a couple years and then got back in to battle the stresses of being a college student. But along with playing I like being a dick to everyone so I kinda got mixed in with a couple local squads and ended up getting quite a bit of experience and now Im playing PSP.....pump that is

I just found that having a no care attitude along with finding what fits best for you (camo pants and long sleeves here). I will admit though that on several occasions Ive wanted more then anything to quit but as it turns out playing ball is the only thing Im not horrible at and basically the only thing I do so I dont really have a choice

Damned if I do and damned if I dont

Grillz and Dyecam I4s
newagepirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:09 PM #13
lewizz124
Slewis

until recently since ive taken a step back from the scene I never realized how worried most people new and experienced are about being the "best" guy at the field. seems like everyones so worried about talking about there own sweet moves they cant give the guy who bunkered them a complement for a nice move. Theres a lot of poor sportsmanship and I honestly think it comes from a lot of these guys not playing any other team sports like basketball or something.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:22 PM #14
RichieRich1042
Tri State Mafia

RichieRich1042 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
RichieRich1042 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
RichieRich1042 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I have been playing on and off since 2002. When I played, I used to see all the teams and good players and think wow. I would shadow off them and learn. You realized some were great guys and others weren't. Now that I'm older (not too sure about wiser), I can firmly say that I am now one of those guys that I used to shadow. I love playing rec days with the guys and play with first timers because they are the ones you have the most fun with. I like to help out the beginners because then it makes them want to continue to play. That to me, is the best part.

As for playing gear, I just rock my jersey and patch with a pair of cargo pants and either my 5.11 ATACS or a pair of old cleats. I find I run better wearing that than all of my gear.

Proudly sponsored by COUSINS PAINTBALL
Like Us on FACEBOOK
https://www.facebook.com/#!/TSMPaintball
RichieRich1042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:02 PM #15
trianglesandtweed

trianglesandtweed plays in the PSP
trianglesandtweed supports Team VICIOUS
fun is what it's all about man. i just got back into playing after 8 years mostly because i can actually afford it now. there's always gonna be the guys who take recball too seriously. just be the best person you can on and off the field and it'll resonate among the other players.

last time i took a few rentals on my team and kept getting left 3 on 1. got blown apart but it was nice to see younger guys getting into the game.

don't be a d**k. that's about it lol
trianglesandtweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:53 AM #16
chirn9980

chirn9980 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
chirn9980 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
chirn9980 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I took a break too when I went to college, mostly because the team I was on broke up because of the attitudes and egos. It was really frustrating because we were a good group of guys and played really well together.

My local field separates the rentals from the other players. I understand, but I like playing with the younger kids who don't have a lot of experience. I like to show them that getting shot isn't the end of the world and teaching them how to play better.

I also like being on the less experienced/not "high-tech" gun team b/c when I wax the "better" team they are always a little annoyed, and I am forced to play better and smarter.

P.S. The guns these days aren't near as cool as the stuff from years ago
chirn9980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:10 PM #17
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet

2nwyka posts videos on PbNation
2nwyka has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I am a rec player. I play because it's fun, not because I want to win. I've been playing about 5 years now, I'm a senior in high-school this year, so I'll be headed off to college. The great thing about that is, I've purchased gear that will fit right in with the college's scenario team! I've never played competitive paintball, and I still have much the same setup as I did when I was first starting out. I've sold and purchased a few items, but retained my same "newbie" look throughout my paintball career.
On the picture above, I figure I'm somewhere between Experienced and Expert, with my gun looking something like the Experienced but my clothing looking like an Expert. I play for the fun of it! When it stops being fun, I'll stop playing! My greatest joy in paintball is not winning the 6 v 20 games or making an epic run up the field: it's helping the new kid with his marker, or coaching someone on using cover. I love to help people in the sport, and who knows? Maybe I've helped make a new Ollie Lang or Greg Hastings through what I do! That is why I play paintball.
To answer the question, I'm somewhat in your shoes in that all of my money goes to paintball, I'm headfirst into it, and I've gone to my roots with a Tippmann A5 and some Goodwill pants!
Noah

CSU Rams Paintball

Rocking drop-forwards like they're going out of style...oh, wait...
Proud Pumper since 2011
2nwyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:53 PM #18
fellar14
Patch is a Patch

fellar14 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
fellar14 supports Team VICIOUS
fellar14 is for the Gunfight
fellar14 plays in the APPA D5 division
fellar14 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
fellar14 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
This is so true, I have evolved or changed through paintball over the years also. Now that I have a good job now, I can actually afford to play 2-3 a month. When I got back into the sport after a few years (5-6), I bought all the fancy gear. Now I just wear a nice mask and pants out because they are light and easy to move in. Other then that it long sleeve shirt and I try to fit in with the other noobs.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:27 PM #19
paintballoliver

paintballoliver plays in the PSP
paintballoliver is playing at Living Legends VI
paintballoliver plays in the APPA D5 division
paintballoliver has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I just started playing tournaments this year, got PSP in a week, then I have all of these other tournaments after. I don't like all the stress and drama that comes with playing tournaments, feels more like a job then a hobby/sport. I think after this season I am going to take a year break of just playing pump lol.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:50 PM #20
trianglesandtweed

trianglesandtweed plays in the PSP
trianglesandtweed supports Team VICIOUS
i keep hearing all this about pump...gotta give it a try
trianglesandtweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:07 PM #21
lewizz124
Slewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by trianglesandtweed View Post
i keep hearing all this about pump...gotta give it a try
I'm not just saying this, but the only time I ever played pump it was against others with hhigh end markers on a hyperball field and ive never shot so many people in the face. It was a whole different style of play I loved it.