Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-21-2012, 11:06 PM #1
Reidjenkins2337

Reidjenkins2337 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Question Air Tanks, What do the numbers mean?

Ok guys, I've been playing for a little while and now I'm going into buying me a setup, probably a Empire Axe with a Rotor, but I'm still confused on the 45/3000Psi and 45/4500 Psi, and I don't really know what all the numbers and symbols like 47 Ci or 68 and "fixed output" mean. Please help... Also, could you suggest a good tank?
Reidjenkins2337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-22-2012, 12:30 AM #2
cpt_crunch

cpt_crunch has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
the 45/3000 or 68/4500 are the measures are internal volume and maximum gas pressure. The first number is the volume in cubic inches (ci). This gives you a rough idea of the tanks physical size and how much air it will hold. The second number is the pressure in pounds force per square inch (psi). A higher pressure tank will cost more and require a larger compressor to fill however it will fire more shots having more air. a 4500 tank can be filled to 3000 and still work just like a 3000.

The tanks are also fitted with a regulator. These regulators are in two camps high pressure (HP) and low pressure (LP). These regulators release a specific amount of air to the rest of the marker saving the regulator on your marker a lot of work. If I remember correctly HP is around 800 psi and LP is around 450 psi but you'll have to check on those numbers I'm not 100%. You want to maker sure you are using whatever output is recommended for the marker. I don't remember if the axe is LP or HP (someone on here will know).
Lover of All Things Paintball
cpt_crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:35 AM #3
cpt_crunch

cpt_crunch has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
When looking for a tank you want to consider your playing style, how large of a tank can you accommodate. forward players, snake players, guys that tuck and run tend to like smaller and lighter tanks while those in the back prefer larger tanks to fire more shots.
45/4500's seem to be a fairly common tank. good place to start maybe?
Lover of All Things Paintball
cpt_crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:47 AM #4
bottlefed05ss
I PLAY FOR KEEPS

bottlefed05ss posts videos on PbNation
bottlefed05ss has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
bottlefed05ss supports DLX Technology
all that fixed output means is that the regulator for the tank cant be adjusted. so if its high output say 800psi output its going to stay like that. a axe will run on either high or low pressure tanks. you might have issues with shoot down with a low pressure.

SEXY luxe 1.5 fs/t
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3905733
bottlefed05ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:59 PM #5
Coenen
K-K-k-k-YEAH!

has been a member for 10 years
Coenen owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Coenen supports Team VICIOUS
Coenen plays in the APPA D4 division
Coenen has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
cpt crunch pretty much knocked it out of the park for the first part of your question. First number is volume in cubic inches, second is max pressure you can fill to, etc. etc.

As for suggestions. First, spend the money on a carbon fiber wrapped, 4500psi tank. It's worth it. Steel 3000psi tank are a pain in the butt. They're big time heavy, and give a relatively low shot count, unless you get a big one, which will be even heavier and more annoying. Yeah, maybe you're a tough guy and "weight doesn't matter" because you've got some muscles or whatever, but save yourself the irritation of having a tank that is probably going to be heavier than the rest of your setup combined.

Brand wise, it seems that there are two companies that are far and away on top of the heap nowadays. First, is Crossfire. I'm a Crossfire guy. I've had one of their HP fixed outputs for a lot of years now and aside from need a new fill nipple every few years or the occasional tank o-ring it has been an outstanding piece of equipment. Second is Ninja. The field I work at rents Ninja tanks, I have been pretty impressed by them as well, their regs are small, simple, rebuild-able, and can take a fair amount of abuse with no ill effects. I feel that they're an all around good option, their popularity is well deserved.

Size wise, I've never really bought in to the goofy sizes they're coming out with these days, 48's and 50's and whatever other goofy numbers they're selling.

68ci is a good go to general purpose size. It'll get a fair to good amount of shots on any style and type of gun. Today's more efficient markers will get almost a whole case from a single full 68/4500 fill. Even if you don't have a super efficient gun it'll still give you at least half a case on just about anything.

Personally, I've been using a 45ci tank now for the last few years, the small size and light weight is definitely very nice. I can get plenty of shots with a full fill on my poppet guns, and she works nicely with my Cockers and Snipers as well.

You might also consider one of the "stubby" designs out there, I just got a 72ci 4500psi stubby tank from a friend, it's short and fat, so length wise it's about the same as my 45, maybe only a half inch or so longer from butt to the tip of the reg and would give you almost a 2/3's increase in shot count.

At the end of the day though, which size tank is right for you will come down to personal preference.
...and it's gone.
Coenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:16 PM #6
deceptionshaggy

deceptionshaggy has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
deceptionshaggy has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
deceptionshaggy has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
deceptionshaggy supports DLX Technology
68/4500 is a good tank choice
Old 02-22-2012, 06:15 PM #7
Reidjenkins2337

Reidjenkins2337 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit