PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-20-2012, 07:50 PM #1
Newtoballin

Newtoballin has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Newtoballin has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
i just started

so im gonna buy my first setup after going out to my local wood/speedsball courses a couple of times and using the rental stuff. im thinking of getting a jt cybrid with just a standard 200 ball hopper but im gonna buy an elbow for it to. Ill prolly get like a 20oz tank of something.....so heres my questions.....is that a good marker for the first time paintballer,oxogen or co2,and would i need to buy a new barrel for the gun? thanks
Newtoballin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-20-2012, 07:55 PM #2
Vevividivichi
I came i saw I conquered?

Vevividivichi is playing at Living Legends VII
Vevividivichi supports Team VICIOUS
Vevividivichi has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
Vevividivichi supports DLX Technology
CO2 will work with that gun. 20 oz should get it done depending on how big u r sometimes they are a bit heavy. the cybrid is vert feed i dont think u need an elbow. it comes with a barrel but aftermarket barrels will normally make the gun quieter and more accurate normally 12 to 16 inches is a good size 21 inch might sound sweet on ebay but its really not.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:34 PM #3
7paintball
Service at its best.

7paintball is playing at Living Legends III
7paintball supports Sherwood Forest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtoballin View Post
so im gonna buy my first setup after going out to my local wood/speedsball courses a couple of times and using the rental stuff. im thinking of getting a jt cybrid with just a standard 200 ball hopper but im gonna buy an elbow for it to. Ill prolly get like a 20oz tank of something.....so heres my questions.....is that a good marker for the first time paintballer,oxogen or co2,and would i need to buy a new barrel for the gun? thanks
Go with the Tippmann 98 or gryphon
Lockport, IL 60441
(815) 588-1777

We always offer discounts to the Military, Police and Fire Departments.
7paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:37 PM #4
apes4us
MO

I would recommend buying a Tippmann 98 and a Viewloader revolution hopper. 20 oz co2 will be great.
I would not recommend the cybrid, it will not be long before you are looking for something else.
apes4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:39 PM #5
Paintman15
Justin

Paintman15 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Paintman15 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I would suggest you make sure you have a good mask first. Masks are more important then your gun. But for the casual baller, yes, that's a decent setup.
"A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work. Uh, I'll call BS. You ever seen Deadliest Catch? I don't know many accountants that get plunged into 40 degree water and end up with all their friends drowned. And you can always make any scenario worse by adding 'and then a roller coaster cut my head off'. Just saying".
-Daniel Tosh

If you can't beat 'em, might as well eat 'em, cause no one's getting out alive!

-Sick Puppies
Paintman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:38 PM #6
Spidersquish

Spidersquish has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Spidersquish has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Spidersquish has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Spidersquish has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
For a first gun, I would recommend a 98 custom, there is little to no maintenance needed. But if you do maintain it, i.e. cleaning/lubing after use, its better to build up your know how and you will continue to do it for when you go picking up a better gun. On a second thought, I would pick up an hpa tank, sure it is a little more money but they are generally more reliable to over the chrono and cheaper to fill over time. This way, when you pick up your first electro marker, you already have an hpa tank and don't have to go invest in another tank.
Spidersquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:49 PM #7
Mach1nE
NY Assassin

Mach1nE owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Mach1nE has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Mach1nE has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Mach1nE has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
As others said I would recommend a Tippman 98 Custom. I started off with that gun and I still have it till this day. They can take a beating.

To be honest though, I would get a real nice mask first. Get one that is comfortable and won't fog.

A crappy mask can you ruin your day.
Mach1nE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:49 PM #8
Paintman15
Justin

Paintman15 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Paintman15 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidersquish View Post
For a first gun, I would recommend a 98 custom, there is little to no maintenance needed. But if you do maintain it, i.e. cleaning/lubing after use, its better to build up your know how and you will continue to do it for when you go picking up a better gun. On a second thought, I would pick up an hpa tank, sure it is a little more money but they are generally more reliable to over the chrono and cheaper to fill over time. This way, when you pick up your first electro marker, you already have an hpa tank and don't have to go invest in another tank.
^word. 98c is more expensive then a cybrid though.
"A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work. Uh, I'll call BS. You ever seen Deadliest Catch? I don't know many accountants that get plunged into 40 degree water and end up with all their friends drowned. And you can always make any scenario worse by adding 'and then a roller coaster cut my head off'. Just saying".
-Daniel Tosh

If you can't beat 'em, might as well eat 'em, cause no one's getting out alive!

-Sick Puppies
Paintman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:03 PM #9
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet

2nwyka posts videos on PbNation
2nwyka has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I wouldn't recommend anything by JT (marker-wise, that is ) because they aren't built to last. Get a Tippmann or a Spyder to start with. They take a beating and keep on shooting through it. Look into masks, too! A good mask can make all the difference! Good luck and good hunting!
Noah

CSU Rams Paintball

Rocking drop-forwards like they're going out of style...oh, wait...
Proud Pumper since 2011
2nwyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:19 AM #10
Headshotted
www.icd-owners.com

Headshotted has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Mask first. everything else about the game sucks of you can't see. Splurge, but get what you find is comfortable. I have a range of masks I use depending on the day, but my mainline mask is either i4 a or grillz/profilers.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:54 AM #11
ChesterMolester
B*tches All Day Erry Day

ChesterMolester is BST Trusted
ChesterMolester posts videos on PbNation
ChesterMolester is an NCPA player
ChesterMolester plays in the APPA D5 division
ChesterMolester has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Be ready to spend a little more than you expected. In the end, if you keep playing, it will be worth it, trust me.

-Spyder/Tippmann 98 Custom (prefer Tippmann, I still use mine)
-20oz CO2 is fine. This will last approximately 1000 rds before it needs to be refilled ($5)
-Proto Primo hopper
-A good mask. Like others have said, nothing ruins a good day of play like fog. Be ready to spend about $50.

-Don't buy all the upgrades you see, only buy what you would need (most likely a new barrel). Save your money for playing.

Also, ASK QUESTIONS before buying or if you are unsure about anything.

How A Tippmann A-5 Works

How A Cyclone Works

"Originally posted by Rubbr Chickin: Everything is worth it. Unless it isnt. Then its not worth it."
ChesterMolester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:40 AM #12
Newtoballin

Ok so how about like a spyder victor With 20 oz c02 and a Bert feed hopper?all for 40 bucks off Craigslist that way I can get like a 50-60 dollar mask
Old 02-21-2012, 10:47 AM #13
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet

2nwyka posts videos on PbNation
2nwyka has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtoballin View Post
Ok so how about like a spyder victor With 20 oz c02 and a Bert feed hopper?all for 40 bucks off Craigslist that way I can get like a 50-60 dollar mask
^Get it!^
The Spyder Victor is a dang good gun for the money. A new 98C will run you about $150 without any extras, where for that kind of money you could get a nice mask and a good hopper. Spend the money on a good mask, though. I would look at a Tippmann mask or a good JT mask. I have a Flexs and a VI mask that I use and like very much. Just personal opinion, but don't spend less than $25 on a mask. A little steep, I know, but it'll serve you the rest of your paintball career. That's a good deal on Craigslist that you found! I would suggest you act on it!
Noah

CSU Rams Paintball

Rocking drop-forwards like they're going out of style...oh, wait...
Proud Pumper since 2011
2nwyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:43 AM #14
dirtyTHREE3Oion
oops

dirtyTHREE3Oion posts videos on PbNation
dirtyTHREE3Oion plays in the APPA D5 division
i would make sure that marker is fullly functional before you buy it.. and the mask is most important do not i mean do not go for the cheaper mask you will end up buyin the more expsensive on later on out of frustration... i started with a 98c pro i got off a buddy still have it till this day and rock it every now and again on the speed ball if you can find a cheap used 98c grab it up otherwise do the cl deal

back players gang
dirtyTHREE3Oion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:47 AM #15
Zippin35

Zippin35 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Zippin35 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Zippin35 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Zippin35 is attending Decay of Nations VI
The most important thing is the mask, that's #1. I rock events but flex's, dye(I3's are still nice) and v-force all have great masks. Next, check out your local fields and see if they fill CO2. Some fields near me don't even touch the stuff so if you get a co2 tank and have no where to fill you're SOL and will need a compressed air tank. You can find used 48/30 steely's for pretty cheap. I rocked one for YEARS. Either way, get a tippman 98. That will last you long enough to save for a higher end marker should you ultimately decide that's what you want. Go with a gravity fed and maybe in a while drop 20-30 on an eggy or old halo. That should start you off well.
New England Crusade #35
Bored? On Facebook? Come join my group Paintball Gear for Sale!
Zippin35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:52 AM #16
tlmiller
Foul tempered old one

has been a member for 10 years
tlmiller is for the Gunfight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippin35 View Post
The most important thing is the mask, that's #1. I rock events but flex's, dye(I3's are still nice) and v-force all have great masks. Next, check out your local fields and see if they fill CO2. Some fields near me don't even touch the stuff so if you get a co2 tank and have no where to fill you're SOL and will need a compressed air tank. You can find used 48/30 steely's for pretty cheap. I rocked one for YEARS. Either way, get a tippman 98. That will last you long enough to save for a higher end marker should you ultimately decide that's what you want. Go with a gravity fed and maybe in a while drop 20-30 on an eggy or old halo. That should start you off well.
Can't stress how much I agree with that. Get a good mask, everything else is of secondary importance.

2014 Vapor FST

Copy and paste this into your signature if you use Linux.
tlmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:03 PM #17
Newtoballin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nwyka View Post
^Get it!^
The Spyder Victor is a dang good gun for the money. A new 98C will run you about $150 without any extras, where for that kind of money you could get a nice mask and a good hopper. Spend the money on a good mask, though. I would look at a Tippmann mask or a good JT mask. I have a Flexs and a VI mask that I use and like very much. Just personal opinion, but don't spend less than $25 on a mask. A little steep, I know, but it'll serve you the rest of your paintball career. That's a good deal on Craigslist that you found! I would suggest you act on it!
Noah
Would a v-force vantage be a good mask?.... Also what site do you guys buy you're paintball equipment off of?ive been looking at and gear but I don't really know if that's a food or bad site
Old 02-21-2012, 12:14 PM #18
PBaller1990

PBaller1990 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
PBaller1990 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
PBaller1990 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtoballin

Would a v-force vantage be a good mask?.... Also what site do you guys buy you're paintball equipment off of?ive been looking at and gear but I don't really know if that's a food or bad site
www.ansgear.com
PBaller1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:21 PM #19
Zippin35

Zippin35 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Zippin35 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Zippin35 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Zippin35 is attending Decay of Nations VI
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBaller1990 View Post
ansgear.com has given people their fair share of problems. I am 100% a full supporter of shop local. Go to a local field and see whats up there. 9/10 times they will have 98's lying around. By going to a local field you establish a relationship with real people that are more willing to help you in a bind than any major website. My field has free labor on any gun bought through them, and you dont have to ship it out. Go to a field, they can order anything you want generally but by going through them you have a much greater chance of overall happiness with the purchase. You also have just made your first friend in paintball, how many websites will hang out with you and give you tips.

Sorry if this becomes a rant I just cant even count how many time Ive heard horror stories about websites, my local field treats loyal customers amazingly well and I will always recommend that route. Go to your field, see what they have and go from there, I will guarantee 100% that they can get you everything you are looking for at a reasonable price but they will take much better care of you in the long and even short run.
New England Crusade #35
Bored? On Facebook? Come join my group Paintball Gear for Sale!
Zippin35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:23 PM #20
EPluribusUnum

EPluribusUnum plays in the PSP
EPluribusUnum owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
EPluribusUnum plays in the APPA D4 division
ans has some good prices
EPluribusUnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:54 PM #21
Newtoballin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippin35 View Post
ansgear.com has given people their fair share of problems. I am 100% a full supporter of shop local. Go to a local field and see whats up there. 9/10 times they will have 98's lying around. By going to a local field you establish a relationship with real people that are more willing to help you in a bind than any major website. My field has free labor on any gun bought through them, and you dont have to ship it out. Go to a field, they can order anything you want generally but by going through them you have a much greater chance of overall happiness with the purchase. You also have just made your first friend in paintball, how many websites will hang out with you and give you tips.

Sorry if this becomes a rant I just cant even count how many time Ive heard horror stories about websites, my local field treats loyal customers amazingly well and I will always recommend that route. Go to your field, see what they have and go from there, I will guarantee 100% that they can get you everything you are looking for at a reasonable price but they will take much better care of you in the long and even short run.
I'll look on Craigslist to.most of the fields around me are like an hour a way....I'm really good with working with wood so I made myself a huge target in my backyard where i can practice......for games I'll get good paintballs but I know monsterballs are TERRIBLE but could I use them for practice shooting?or are they so bad that they will mess up the gun?