Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-20-2011, 07:31 AM #1
Cheers12

Using a Kindle

Perhaps I'm a bit of Luddite (I've been called worse) but can anyone actually give me a good reason why anyone would want to read a book on one of these, as opposed to just reading from a book. To me, all of the advertised advantages appear to be just clutching at straws - "In the time it takes you to read this review you can download an entire book"????? So what???
The only possible advantage I can think of might be for large unwieldy text books for students.
I never felt over the years that my reading was in any way hampered by having to do it from a pesky old book.

I did a search of the board for the topic but couldn't come up with a satisfactory thread.
Advertisement
Old 12-24-2011, 02:19 PM #2
berry_wendel
I WILL RULE YOU!!!

berry_wendel is playing at Living Legends III
berry_wendel owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
berry_wendel supports Team VICIOUS
berry_wendel is reppin' sidebar 4 life
its cheaper
berry_wendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 02:31 PM #3
ProtoBaller1991
Come to VLN my child

ProtoBaller1991 donated to help Peyton Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by berry_wendel View Post
its cheaper
yep, it's cheaper rather than paying for a book at the book store. I wouldn't get a kindle though if you want to read books on a screen. I'd just get an ipad or an iphone.
My Instagram
ProtoBaller1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 03:34 PM #4
berry_wendel
I WILL RULE YOU!!!

berry_wendel is playing at Living Legends III
berry_wendel owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
berry_wendel supports Team VICIOUS
berry_wendel is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoBaller1991 View Post
yep, it's cheaper rather than paying for a book at the book store. I wouldn't get a kindle though if you want to read books on a screen. I'd just get an ipad or an iphone.
battery on kindle>phone. dont want/need ipad.
berry_wendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 06:40 PM #5
Citizen X
Very Varenyam

Annual Supporting Member
Citizen X is a Forum Captain
I understand their convenience, but I still prefer books. Especially if it's an author I like reading and don't mind paying full price for a hardcover copy. I find it a mite uncomfortable to read off those things.

If it's books I'm not too keen on reading, I just throw them on my Droid.
Citizen X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:09 PM #6
paintballfreak45_2

paintballfreak45_2 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
paintballfreak45_2 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
My Mom loaned me hers to read a book off of. I typically prefer to have the actual book in my hand, but reading on that hasn't been as bad as I thought it might.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:40 AM #7
imhungry (Banned)
***CHAOS***

has been a member for 10 years
cheaper, the book mark system is amazing, the notes function is amazing, highlighting is easier, dont have to keep a ton of physical book.

i liked reading regular books until i got my original kindle and now my fire and do not see a point in getting another physical book ever again. the regular kindle's with the e-ink screen are also just like reading off paper. it is really bizarre the first time you see it because it looks like a piece of paper and not a screen
imhungry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:40 AM #8
digitard
GregRedHastings.com

Annual Supporting Member
digitard works for a Paintball manufacturer
digitard plays in the APPA D5 division
digitard is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
digitard supports Empire
I still buy books often. To have them on my bookshelf, and for people to borrow. Plus I like to support the paper book, and my local bookstore (Changing Hands).

Having said that... I do most of my reading on my iPad. Why?
- First and foremost... my iPad has eBooks, Nook and Kindle software so I can get most of the big ones. Plus an indie app that also lets me buy eBooks from indie bookstores when I can to support them.
- Second, and this is a biggie... quantity. I can store, literally, thousands of books on my iPad if I want using only a fraction of the space. I know this is overkill, but I often go back and re-read things and having them all at my fingertips is nice.
- Third: In conjunction with the above second... virtual bookmarks. Anytime I'm stopping I tap the apps bookmark option, and if I go back later I can keep going w/o having to pick/choose.

Lastly... I like to buy books on a whim. I will sometimes see a book came out I didn't know about, or something, online and I'll hit Instant and it'll be in my eBooks/Amazon/Nook library the moment I open the app and I just start reading. This is actually fairly common for me because I have a few books that I loved, but didn't follow the author. I'll find a book just got released, and pick it up right there and start reading. Later if I dug the book/author get a physical copy for the support side of things.

Example: I just read a book called Ex-Patriots the other day. At like 9pm at night I was wondering what to do with a BN.com giftcard, and while browsing I saw this book was released (sequel to a book called Ex-Heroes). Having, quite surprisingly, enjoyed the first I hit "buy" and started reading 10 seconds later. 24hrs later I had plowed through all 300+ virtual pages and now I just picked another book up off the Kindle recommendations on Amazon tonight that I saw someone talking about (John Scalzi) previously that I forgot about.

I think that last is the biggest for me. I just remember things and want instant gratification. I'll just be in the mood to read a book, almost always have my iPad with me, and blam. I'm good and reading within a few moments of finding my selection, and it's always with me should I not finish it promptly, to catch up anytime I have a whim (at home, out and about, work, etc).

D.
digitard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:54 PM #9
jolly rodgers
aggggg maty

i thought i would hate the kindle, but i got one for christmas and i love it. the biggest selling point for me is that i can read in basically any position, which i cannot do with a book
Old 02-19-2012, 07:01 PM #10
GivenRandy

Annual Supporting Member
I didn't like, and didn't buy, some of the earlier models. I like the Kindle Touch, though. A big reason is size. I'd always take something to read on business trips. Sometimes two books. Some of them were rather large. My Kindle Touch is super small in comparison. Makes lugging my carry-on much lighter.

Another advantage is that it's all electronically stored and can be re-retrieved from Amazon if required. No need to worry about losing a book, buying more bookshelves, etc. On the downside, no book to give to Salvation Army or a friend (I've not had much luck selling them on eBay).
GivenRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 02:44 PM #11
quik334

Annual Supporting Member
quik334 is playing at Living Legends VII
quik334 supports DLX Technology
I use mine all the time when laying in bed. It's just an easier way for me instead of having a light on or one of those book lights.
quik334 is offline   Reply With Quote