PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-23-2012, 12:29 AM #1
Brownpeso
SMOQUEED

getting back into paintball. NXT?

i have decided to start paintballing again so my question is, how reliable is an NXT shocker to get back into the gist of things? when i stopped paintballing(5 years ago) pretty much all smart parts guns had a bad rep. I am purchasing a used from the B/S/T section and was wondering what tests i should do to make sure all is in order.

thanks
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-23-2012, 01:53 AM #2
o5pr3y
Watch out for Snakes!!

Annual Supporting Member
o5pr3y plays in the PSP
o5pr3y plays in the APPA D4 division
o5pr3y has achieved Level 6 in PbNation Pursuit
o5pr3y is Legendary
o5pr3y is Boss
Welcome back!

Most people don't like SP guns because they require maintanence and the little legal spat they had with Dye and other companies. Also, You're going to get sort of a biased opinion, as you're asking the Shocker board, but I'l try to be fair.

If you don't mind relubing your bolt all the time, and cleaning your marker, then by all means get an NXT. If that's going to be an issue, then I'd recommend finding an old Timmy for the same price.

One great thing about Shockers though, is that there are a HUUUGE number of aftermarket parts, mods, and upgrades. It's almost as customizable as Mags and Cockers. Not too mention they still shoot smoother than almost any other marker out there today. The effeciency kind of sucks, but that can easily be fixed with buying aftermarket parts and adding mods to the gun.

NORCAL CLASSIC#09
ANSgear / Zephyr / 31st Outfitters / Cutting Edge Paintball Shop / Santa Clara Paintball / American Paintball Park

Dangerous Power Rev-I // PM6 // Angel Speed 05 FST
Box O' Timmy parts!
"To kill for yourself is Murder, to kill for your country is Heroic, to kill for entertainment is Harmless"
o5pr3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:07 AM #3
Brownpeso
SMOQUEED

What do you mean by "lubing all the time"? I would clean/relube after every outing, would that be enough?

Looked through the sticky and saw a bunch of stuff I could buy. Definitely going to get a new feedback.

Would it be a good idea to break down the bolt and relube it once I get it?
Old 01-23-2012, 02:10 AM #4
o5pr3y
Watch out for Snakes!!

Annual Supporting Member
o5pr3y plays in the PSP
o5pr3y is Legendary
o5pr3y is Boss
That would be fine. It's just that some people get used to Timmys/Egos and relube maybe once every 6 months.

I would def break it down and inspect it. Never know if the orings are in bad shape or it needs lube. Dow33 lube btw.

NORCAL CLASSIC#09
ANSgear / Zephyr / 31st Outfitters / Cutting Edge Paintball Shop / Santa Clara Paintball / American Paintball Park

Box O' Timmy parts!
"To kill for yourself is Murder, to kill for your country is Heroic, to kill for entertainment is Harmless"
Old 01-23-2012, 02:15 AM #5
Brownpeso
SMOQUEED

Was just reading the "how to lube" thread and it doesn't seem too hard.

Any advice or pointers or is it pretty straightforward?

Getting an NXT with blackheart board, halo, pod pack, and a freak kit for 230. Hope that's a decent deal.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:27 AM #6
o5pr3y
Watch out for Snakes!!

Annual Supporting Member
o5pr3y plays in the PSP
o5pr3y is Legendary
o5pr3y is Boss
Wow that's a great deal! Most NXTs cost around $275-300, and SFT's go for $200.

Lubing is super simple. By the way, www.zdspb.com is the Shocker's bible. Everything you need to know is on there.

NORCAL CLASSIC#09

Box O' Timmy parts!
Old 01-23-2012, 02:41 AM #7
Brownpeso
SMOQUEED

Thanks for the link! Already reading up on it.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:47 AM #8
o5pr3y
Watch out for Snakes!!

Annual Supporting Member
o5pr3y plays in the PSP
o5pr3y is Legendary
o5pr3y is Boss
No prob!

NORCAL CLASSIC#09

Box O' Timmy parts!
Old 01-23-2012, 09:32 AM #9
#1P8ntballer
wha da heo

#1P8ntballer is a Supporting Member
#1P8ntballer is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by o5pr3y View Post
Wow that's a great deal! Most NXTs cost around $275-300, and SFT's go for $200.

Lubing is super simple. By the way, www.zdspb.com is the Shocker's bible. Everything you need to know is on there.
if you troll ebay hard enough, ive seen shockers sell for 150ish and under, both NXT and SFT. I don't know if the sellers missed key words in the title or what, but try searching a couple different variants. Shockers are prob the best bang for the buck right now in terms of a spool valve gun, next to a Proto Matrix.
#1P8ntballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:47 AM #10
Shooter28
PEACE

Shooter28 plays in the PSP
Shooter28 plays in the APPA D3 division
Shooter28 supports DLX Technology
Shooter28 supports Empire
dm6's go around 200 too. Shockers do require a bit more love but they love you back more aswell.
ΞΞ

R.I.P. Rob Kerr 2/1/91 - 3/15/10 & {HSP}
Gun Sale Thread | SHOCKER PARTS!!! | My gun collection | D00M.
Shooter28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:00 AM #11
o5pr3y
Watch out for Snakes!!

Annual Supporting Member
o5pr3y plays in the PSP
o5pr3y is Legendary
o5pr3y is Boss
[quote=#1P8ntballer;74105518]if you troll ebay hard enough, ive seen shockers sell for 150ish and under, both NXT and SFT. /QUOTE]

Yeah I lurk eBay quite a bit. (you'd be surprised what scores you can get if you looks up "broken paintball". I just avoid eBay most times for full guns because most sellers either want excessive amounts, or it's broken in some way.

NORCAL CLASSIC#09

Box O' Timmy parts!
Old 01-23-2012, 02:13 PM #12
bcrguy
F**k S**t Up...

bcrguy is playing at Living Legends VI
bcrguy owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
i played in a local tourney over the weekend and my shocker kicked *** all day long.. one guy on my team has a dm12 that kept having issues, my other buddies ego 11 went down for a game quick, and the other guys ego 8 chopped like crazy.

i also had about 5 people say to me after games that it was so quiet they had no idea where i was until the last second.

only things i would really suggest upgrade wise is bolt and board (my preference is eigenbolt and virtue/APE)
Citrus Connection #88
bcrguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:15 PM #13
KookieMonster
Kookie or Nookie???

KookieMonster donated to help Peyton Trent
KookieMonster supports Bob Gurnsey
KookieMonster has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Shockers will go down from time to time also, just like any other gun out there. THe thing is that if you take care of them and spend the time to set it up right, the times it will go down on you will be few and far between.
KookieMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:31 PM #14
Pure Liquid Hell
RODGER READER

sold a dm6 for my first shocker back in 2006. never looked back. I fell in love with the simplicity and feel. if you keep up on cleaning and take your time doing it, you wont have any serious issues.

Support Uprising nation
Pure Liquid Hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:02 AM #15
thatguy00

My friend just picked up an sft for 100 bucks, in great condition i was shocked! I as well got back into the sport last week and my NXT is shooting great after years of not maint. lol. Finally rebuilt with new orings, lubed and its still shooting great! i love it !
thatguy00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:24 AM #16
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownpeso View Post
What do you mean by "lubing all the time"? I would clean/relube after every outing, would that be enough?

Looked through the sticky and saw a bunch of stuff I could buy. Definitely going to get a new feedback.

Would it be a good idea to break down the bolt and relube it once I get it?
Remember, less is more. You don't want to coat the bolt in grease, just put a little bit on the 2 Orings on the bolt can that the bolt slides on and a little bit on the bolt sail Oring, then call it a day.

Personally, when I store it(and not fire or gas it up) for a few weeks I keep it without any of lube, I dry it all off then put it back together. Then the night before I go play I take it apart, lube it up, then gas it up and fire a few test rounds.
I go every 2 weeks like clockwork and for almost 6 months I have yet to have a single problem.

98% of paintballers make up statistics. Post this in your sig if you're part of the 2% that doesn't.
Paper_Cut is offline   Reply With Quote