killajay2014
Your De Best!!!

killajay2014 donated to help Peyton Trent
killajay2014 owns a Planet Eclipse SLS
killajay2014 owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
killajay2014 supports our troops
killajay2014 is Legendary
killajay2014 supports DLX Technology
Now if I wanted to take pics of my guns...would a 50mm 1.8 or 1.4 be perfect cause I use mine just for mico and sometimes portraits. I don't want the background to show out of focus...I want the whole frame to show in focus
killajay2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:36 PM #23
fainerbainer
CK

fainerbainer has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
fainerbainer has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
fainerbainer has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
?
what's in focus/out of focus has to do with aperture, focal length, and distance to subject which aperture and distance to subject can be changed with the 50 1.8 or 1.4. Either will work just fine.
fainerbainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:58 PM #24
killajay2014
Your De Best!!!

killajay2014 donated to help Peyton Trent
killajay2014 owns a Planet Eclipse SLS
killajay2014 owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
killajay2014 supports our troops
killajay2014 is Legendary
killajay2014 supports DLX Technology
Only reason I asked and after proof reading what I wrote I look like the only newbie to photography...was because of the photo above in question...I tried everything mentioned to try and clear up the shot And yet I still get the "softness" on some of the edges....I've seen some close up shots of guns taken by multiple users here and strive to get better...all I want is a cristal clear photo of my collection of guns...And my kit lens isn't cutting it..my other telephoto lens do a great job but having to stand 5-10 feet back isn't cutting it.
killajay2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:08 PM #25
outkast kid

outkast kid is a Paintball photographer
Well, it is called a kit lens for a reason. Every lens is subject to soft focus and fringing on the edges. More expensive glass deals with the issue by having more advanced crystal with special coatings and by simply making the diameter of the lens larger so the edges of the lens projection don't get captured by the sensor. If you want better images without dropping more money, shoot RAW and rig up some lighting. Also, if you're trying to capture your guns, you want the background to be as far from distracting as possible.
outkast kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:25 PM #26
scienceguy

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by killajay2014 View Post
Only reason I asked and after proof reading what I wrote I look like the only newbie to photography...was because of the photo above in question...I tried everything mentioned to try and clear up the shot And yet I still get the "softness" on some of the edges....I've seen some close up shots of guns taken by multiple users here and strive to get better...all I want is a cristal clear photo of my collection of guns...And my kit lens isn't cutting it..my other telephoto lens do a great job but having to stand 5-10 feet back isn't cutting it.
If you don't want to buy anything new, then just don't fill the frame, and crop the image. Use the center where it's more sharp.

A good normal prime for the d90 is the 35mm f1.8. $200

You can rent gear to try before you buy.

Don't knock kit lenses. The 18-55 kit lens for Nikon is actually pretty good.
scienceguy is offline   Reply With Quote