Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-01-2012, 09:31 PM #22
Pail Ail (Banned)
Bill Watterson

if its directed at me I guess I'm happy to be smug. At least I didn't feel the need to copy-paste 100s of different definitions of scientific theory to create my "own" and educate this entire board
Pail Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-09-2012, 01:18 PM #23
Gisgo09
vGisgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pail Ail View Post
if its directed at me I guess I'm happy to be smug. At least I didn't feel the need to copy-paste 100s of different definitions of scientific theory to create my "own" and educate this entire board
While I'm in no way trying to defend the OP, I am trying to point out the way you constantly seem to need to belittle people or try to hold yourself as superior to them. It may not be your intent, but it's the outcome none the less. You like to brandish the books you've read or the philosophers you've studied about in the same way a well endowed guy will strut around a locker room. Being well read doesn't necessarily equate to being intelligent or correct. People who aren't educated are capable of having extremely profound and intelligent ideas/views. Yet you're all too quick to throw out the term pseudo intellectual or say "I highly doubt you've even read book A or philosopher B".

Please don't take this as an attack on you. It's merely an attempt to point out your demeanor in this sub forum in the hopes that you might make an effort to change a little. Rather than coming in here and posting "this thread screams pseudo-intellectual". You could have merely ignored the thread or engaged in a conversation if you couldn't ignore the thread.

http://www.lurkerpb.com/
Gisgo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:25 PM #24
wavesport001

^ Something about your post reminded me of a scene in Good Will Hunting where Will puts the smack down on some Intellectual dude in a bar. Good times.

"it really doesnt matter what you say on here. if there was truly evidence, it would come from a professor, not from a member on pbnation.com." - Anonymous poster
wavesport001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:55 PM #25
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gisgo09 View Post
While I'm in no way trying to defend the OP, I am trying to point out the way you constantly seem to need to belittle people or try to hold yourself as superior to them. It may not be your intent, but it's the outcome none the less. You like to brandish the books you've read or the philosophers you've studied about in the same way a well endowed guy will strut around a locker room. Being well read doesn't necessarily equate to being intelligent or correct. People who aren't educated are capable of having extremely profound and intelligent ideas/views. Yet you're all too quick to throw out the term pseudo intellectual or say "I highly doubt you've even read book A or philosopher B".

Please don't take this as an attack on you. It's merely an attempt to point out your demeanor in this sub forum in the hopes that you might make an effort to change a little. Rather than coming in here and posting "this thread screams pseudo-intellectual". You could have merely ignored the thread or engaged in a conversation if you couldn't ignore the thread.
Due in large part to paper-cuts persona in this sub forum, I will say that pail ail's post was justifiable. Paper cut is one of those dudes were real conversation is impossible. Every conversation is another attempt to soap box his beliefs.
Iamamartianchurch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:59 PM #26
Gisgo09
vGisgo

^You have a point there. But this thread was my breaking point when it comes to his smug attitude towards others. I should have also pointed it out in a better way, but nobody's perfect.

http://www.lurkerpb.com/
Gisgo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:23 AM #27
Gnarly Whyn (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gisgo09 View Post

search my old posts for pseudo-intellectual. I'm just wondering how much I actually have said that. Also maybe a search for highly doubt you've read and anything similar to that. Also if you really think this is going on and it's not an image you've created in your head because I've said you and a whole lot of other people are wrong on things (and I've said that I've been wrong plenty of times, maybe not on this forum but there's nothing wrong with confidence or arrogance) check out the kind of people I've spoken "smugly" to.

p.s. care to check the atheist thread, where two posters are speaking positively about an arrogant, confident attitude. Wanna let them know not to be smug?

I mean ****, I'd be more concerned with you showing where I've been objectively wrong about something rather than saying I'm not very nice about being right. Being nice on pbnation was cool years ago, and these kinds of posts are ridiculously annoying. You're like the guys in st:music who decry "elitists", i.e. people with good taste.

p.s.p.s. if you actually talked with me outside of "teh nation" you'll find it a much different experience. Take that into account next time and I won't have to tell you your analysis is shoddy when I'm bored online late at night
Gnarly Whyn is offline   Reply With Quote