Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-07-2012, 02:23 PM #1
ky7jg

paul virilio

What are your opinions of Virilio's argument that technological acceleration is bad? That we are always looking to make our technology better and faster and that leads to the "great accident". He talks about how that makes technological failure inevitable because everything will be so quick and calculations will be made at light-speed.

just looking for opinions or further explanation because the theory still confuses me
Old 02-07-2012, 02:49 PM #2
DayoftheGreek
I hate you

Reminds me of this Sagan quote:
Quote:
We have a civilization based on science and technology, and we have cleverly arranged things so that almost nobody understands science and technology. That is as clear a prescription for disaster as you can imagine. It’s a combustible mixture of ignorance and power. And while we might get away with it for a while, that mixture, sooner or later, is going to blow up. The powers of modern technology are so enormous that it is insufficient to say, well those in charge of those powers, I am sure, are doing a good job. This is a democracy, and for us to make sure that the powers of science and technology are used properly and prudently, we ourselves must understand science and technology.
I'm not sure it's completely relevant because I haven't read any of this guys writing, but my quick googling brought this to mind. If you add exponentially increasing technology and Virilio's fears to the above quote, everyday that goes by only means that the proposed "Great Accident" will be worse and worse.

1/30/08: I was there when the plane flew but everyone was still stupid.
DayoftheGreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:03 PM #3
spracks21
Zap Rowsdower

spracks21 plays in the PSP
spracks21 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
spracks21 supports Team VICIOUS
spracks21 plays in the APPA D3 division
"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom. - Kurt Vonnegut

Very true in more than one way.
spracks21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:05 PM #4
ky7jg

Quote:
Originally Posted by spracks21 View Post
"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom. - Kurt Vonnegut

Very true in more than one way.

i think that's one of virilio's arguments. that technological acceleration reduces everything in terms of time/space and distances us from the "real world".

correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:00 PM #5
spracks21
Zap Rowsdower

spracks21 plays in the PSP
spracks21 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
spracks21 supports Team VICIOUS
spracks21 plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by ky7jg View Post
i think that's one of virilio's arguments. that technological acceleration reduces everything in terms of time/space and distances us from the "real world".

correct me if i'm wrong.
It is, at least as I understand it anyway.
spracks21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:29 PM #6
wavesport001

According to Kurzweil's ilk we're only 30 years or so away from creating an intelligence capable of solving all our problems for us.

"it really doesnt matter what you say on here. if there was truly evidence, it would come from a professor, not from a member on pbnation.com." - Anonymous poster
wavesport001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:09 AM #7
Iamamartianchurch

Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote