Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2012, 08:48 PM #1
Paper-Cut (Banned)
mentally unstable
 
Paper-Cut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tampa, Fl
Paper-Cut has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Seems a lot of people don't understand what a scientific theory is

A lot of people think it means it is just a wild guess or something with missing holes that haven't been explained, or the classic "the jury is still out."

This is not the case:

A theory, according to science, math, and history, is, in short, the best and most logical possible explanation for things we see in nature based on all of the data we have and is for the most part agreed upon and has yet to have any substantiating evidence against it.

To simplify, I will give an analogy that I think serves best. Lets say a murder takes place, there are fingerprints, DNA evidence, and witnesses that all link to one man who has turned himself in and confessed to the murder. Since all of the evidence points to that man being the murderer and he has confessed to it, he must have murdered the victim.
Now, is it possible that he didn't? Of course, there could have been little green alien men who planted the evidence then brainwashed the man and all the witnesses in a plot to get all of the ice cream in the victims freezer. We don't know for sure that this isn't the case.
However, since there is no proof of any green men, and with the lack of any reasonable doubt, the jury is forced to concede that the man did murder the victim.

So, next time you see "the theory of evolution" or "the theory of relativity" know that every part of that theory has been supported by fact and there has yet to be a single piece of valid evidence to disprove it. Obviously, as new evidence is found(and it often is) they edit or scrap the theory so that it remains true to the evidence and no holes are missing.
Paper-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-29-2012, 09:25 PM #2
DayoftheGreek
I hate you
 
DayoftheGreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Burlington, NJ
 has been a member for 10 years
Theory of relativity = I own a GPS and it works. I use it frequently and trust it to get me places.

Theory of evolution = ITS JUST A THEORY, LIKE WHEN YOU MAKE A GUESS.

But yes, this is an elementary mistake frequently made by idiots.
__________________
FEEDBACK: http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...hreadid=665897

1/30/08: I was there when the plane flew but everyone was still stupid.
DayoftheGreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:51 PM #3
Pail Ail (Banned)
Bill Watterson
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
this thread screams pseudo-intellectual
Pail Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:03 PM #4
Paper-Cut (Banned)
mentally unstable
 
Paper-Cut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tampa, Fl
Paper-Cut has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pail Ail View Post
this thread screams pseudo-intellectual
Says the guy who put a couple quotes in his sig by famous people because he thinks they are deep. If you didn't try so hard your failures wouldn't draw as much attention.

Why don't you grab a coloring book and go sit in a corner while us adults talk.
Paper-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:13 AM #5
wavesport001
 
 
wavesport001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The River
lol
__________________
"It is always better to have no ideas than false ones; to believe nothing, than to believe what is wrong." -Thomas Jefferson

"it really doesnt matter what you say on here. if there was truly evidence, it would come from a professor, not from a member on pbnation.com." - Anonymous poster
wavesport001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:20 AM #6
Iamamartianchurch
 
 
Iamamartianchurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Yeah man, you really told those kids a thing or two about scientific theory! They'll really think twice about attending sunday school now!
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:55 PM #7
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff
 
TheSilentAssassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
What exactly is the purpose of this thread?
__________________
“There are only two kinds of people, those who accept dogmas and know it, and those who accept dogmas and don’t know it.” – G. K. Chesterton - The Mercy of Mr. Arnold Bennett, Fancies vs. Fads
TheSilentAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:08 PM #8
Treghc
 
 
Treghc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Seattle
Treghc is a Supporting Member
Treghc is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Treghc is a Forum Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentAssassin View Post
What exactly is the purpose of this thread?
I've been wondering the same thing...
__________________
“But men, they say a lot of foolish things. In the end, the only words I can find to believe in are mine." - Joe

Tarsier Slave


We are Sapien
Treghc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:16 PM #9
Iamamartianchurch
 
 
Iamamartianchurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
I think he is trying to prove all those junior high kids who occasionally post here that a scientific theory is not a guess. Either that, or this is a public diary entry in which he intends to confess his admiration for scientific theory. I can't tell.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:30 PM #10
Paper-Cut (Banned)
mentally unstable
 
Paper-Cut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tampa, Fl
Paper-Cut has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentAssassin View Post
What exactly is the purpose of this thread?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
I think he is trying to prove all those junior high kids who occasionally post here that a scientific theory is not a guess. Either that, or this is a public diary entry in which he intends to confess his admiration for scientific theory. I can't tell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treghc View Post
I've been wondering the same thing...
Education

Last edited by Paper-Cut : 01-30-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Paper-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:44 PM #11
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff
 
TheSilentAssassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper-Cut View Post
Education
Well not anyone can walk into a classroom and start teaching. Educators need to be qualified first. May I ask what qualifications you have in Religion/Philosophy that makes you capable of teaching us?
__________________
“There are only two kinds of people, those who accept dogmas and know it, and those who accept dogmas and don’t know it.” – G. K. Chesterton - The Mercy of Mr. Arnold Bennett, Fancies vs. Fads
TheSilentAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:31 AM #12
Pail Ail (Banned)
Bill Watterson
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
I get it. He's a ****ty philosophy troll. This douche is to the philosophy board what Marx is to economics.
Pail Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:33 AM #13
Pail Ail (Banned)
Bill Watterson
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
P.s. your analogy ****ing blows. I'd tear it apart but I'm too busy reading more Edmund Burke because he's deep and you're shallow
Pail Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:01 AM #14
wavesport001
 
 
wavesport001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The River
Anyway, this guy acts like EVILution has been "proved" or something. What a fool! He's probably a Darwinist! In honor of Darwin, I say we make this thread about lemurs now.

__________________
"It is always better to have no ideas than false ones; to believe nothing, than to believe what is wrong." -Thomas Jefferson

"it really doesnt matter what you say on here. if there was truly evidence, it would come from a professor, not from a member on pbnation.com." - Anonymous poster
wavesport001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:25 AM #15
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff
 
TheSilentAssassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Introduction to Lemurs



The Lemur is the smallest of all primates and very few people even realize that they belong to this particular type of animal. Early evolution shows that they were once as large as an adult gorilla though. This is based on fossil remains that are millions of years old. The Lemur is believed to have gotten smaller in order to adapt to living in the trees and to rely on less food for survival.

There are many different species of Lemurs and they can offer various sizes and colors. As a result they are often misidentified as some other type of creature. All of them except for one species have long tails. They use the tail for balance though and don’t hang by them as other primates do.

All Lemurs have a long nose and they have four legs. They sit or they stand up but they always walk on all fours. They don’t walk upright as other primates have been known to do. They have thin fur due to the warm locations of where they live. They do have opposable thumbs like other primates.

The Lemurs are mainly nocturnal animals but they can be active during the day as well. Most of them live in the trees from birth but some of the larger ones will spend time on land daily. They see very well at night but also rely on their sense of smell to help them get around and to recognize each other.

The socialization for the Lemur is very interesting. They live in families of up to 15 members. Most of them consist of males, females, and offspring. However, there are some which are only females and young. The males have been driven out so they live alone or they form male only families.

The females are the leaders of the Lemur families. They get to say who stays and who goes. The grooming process is part of the social order for each family. There tends to be quite strong bonds in these families. However, there are also plenty of conflicts over food and habitat among them. This can result in death if the fighting escalates.

Lemurs eat fruits and nuts that they find in the trees or on the ground. They also consume small insects. Many of them have seasonal times of the year when they are able to find enough food. When there isn’t much food they will either slow down their metabolism or hibernate. They are the only type of primate that is known to hibernate.

They can also shut down their need to mate when there is a shortage of food or shelter. The females have this natural ability as a survival mechanism. They are the only primates known to have this particular type of ability.

There is a very short mating period annually of just a few weeks for Lemurs. The time of year varies based on the geographical location of the Lemurs. These young often have a mortality rate of over 50%. This is one of the reasons why it is hard to get their numbers to increase.

All species of Lemurs are in grave danger at this time of being able to survive. Even though they only have two natural predators – the Fossa and the Harrier Hawk – humans have hunted them for a very long time. They have also drastically reduced the natural habitat by clearing out trees.

There are some significant conservation efforts in place for them. Still, many worry that there isn’t enough being done. They want to see more land protected for the future of the Lemurs. In the wild they can typically live up to 18 years but in captivity they can live up to 30 years. That is why part of protecting them includes captivity programs with breeding being a primary part of the success of these programs.
__________________
“There are only two kinds of people, those who accept dogmas and know it, and those who accept dogmas and don’t know it.” – G. K. Chesterton - The Mercy of Mr. Arnold Bennett, Fancies vs. Fads
TheSilentAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:35 PM #16
wavesport001
 
 
wavesport001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The River
I just learned more from reading that last post that I have from reading entire threads in this forum!
__________________
"It is always better to have no ideas than false ones; to believe nothing, than to believe what is wrong." -Thomas Jefferson

"it really doesnt matter what you say on here. if there was truly evidence, it would come from a professor, not from a member on pbnation.com." - Anonymous poster
wavesport001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:47 PM #17
Umami
"That guy"
 
Umami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Inside the Beltway
Umami supports our troops
I was going to post something here, but on second thought, I don't really feel like it. Defending the scientific process isn't my job right now, and the massive gains in human knowledge that have directly resulted from the scientific process speak more to its legitimacy than I ever could.

__________________
Everything great in the world is done by neurotics; they alone founded our religions and created our masterpieces.

SOG
I am affiliated with Lurker Paintball. My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of LurkerPB.
Umami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:51 PM #18
wavesport001
 
 
wavesport001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The River
What about Lemurs?
__________________
"It is always better to have no ideas than false ones; to believe nothing, than to believe what is wrong." -Thomas Jefferson

"it really doesnt matter what you say on here. if there was truly evidence, it would come from a professor, not from a member on pbnation.com." - Anonymous poster
wavesport001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:03 PM #19
Pail Ail (Banned)
Bill Watterson
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
lemurs are beautiful
Pail Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:13 PM #20
Gisgo09
vGisgo
 
Gisgo09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Livonia, MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pail Ail View Post
this thread screams pseudo-intellectual
A Smug alert has been issued for the general area. Heavy smug may impede discussion and lead to a general lack of civility. However this thick rolling smug will make at least one individual feel better about themselves.
__________________
Assumption is the mother of all **** ups.
"Thats a lot of Romans over there." "Yes but not one of them is Gisgo." Hannibal Barca and general Gisgo before the battle of Cannae in 216 BC.

http://www.lurkerpb.com/
Gisgo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:28 PM #21
spracks21
Zap Rowsdower
 
spracks21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lincoln, NE
spracks21 plays in the PSP
spracks21 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
spracks21 supports Team VICIOUS
spracks21 plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gisgo09 View Post
A Smug alert has been issued for the general area. Heavy smug may impede discussion and lead to a general lack of civility. However this thick rolling smug will make at least one individual feel better about themselves.
OP or Pail?
__________________
Aimless Factory
#21
spracks21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump