Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-29-2012, 07:07 PM #127
Redline.ss

Redline.ss is BST Trusted
Redline.ss owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenstylea2 View Post
Not to upset anybody here but after shooting various guns in the 400$ price range, ie Axe, Reflex and Etha, the last has noticably more kick, and vibration felt through the gun than the other two mentioned. I love PE's Etek3 AM BTW very much for the record. True story, at Newbreedpb in NJ, management usually endorses and is very supportive of PE products, however all were let down by the Etha's roughness, loudness, and vibration. Considering that the Etha's competition doesn't really exhibit these flaws, the Etha probably could have used some more time in R&D before being released. So what does the Etha do right? Two things from my experience: It is consistent and very accurate). However, unfortunately at my local field, a man with a Tippmann and his buddy with his Etha were debating as to which of their guns kicked more. I can't believe that the Etha was even being compared to a Tippmann since the first is a tournament marker yet it isn't nearly as smooth as any. Finally I leave asking this, looking at other guns in the 400$ price range, how can one justify the reasoning in spending the money on the Etha other than it's from PE?
I happen to have an etek3, tippmann 98c, and etha. I can say the etha kicks nowhere near as bad as a 98c, and would say it shoots alot like my etek3.
Redline.ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-29-2012, 07:20 PM #128
frenchy2475

frenchy2475 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
frenchy2475 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
frenchy2475 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I used my new out of the box Etha today. It was really cold 4c (38f) all day today and the gun didn't miss a beat no fsdo/bolt stick. I really enjoyed playing today, I shot plenty of people with it and couldn't be happier. Efficency wise I was getting about 700 shots out of a 48/45 filled to 3k.

I know you can feel some vibration of the spring return on the bolt but to be honest when you in a game you just dont notice it. I wouldnt say it has excessive kick, no more than my Ego 11. And loudness definatly not. I was listening to another guy's etha when he was chronoing and compairing to plenty of other guns it was actually quieter most noticably an etek and on par with a mini. The only difference being a mini was a bit more muffled.

I shot way more paint with it than using my Ego so I guess you can say I must have enjoyed it. A few people commented that they thought I was on ramp but was just firing semi.

The only issue I had all day was a battery go flat/faulty, it was a brand new battery but I don't know if it was just a dud or if it was the cold but it just gave the etha the 'pfft' 'pfft' then it would fire. Changed the battery and carried on to the end of the day.

I think the weather was a real test today for all the guns. It was cold, damp and dirty in the woods I was playing in and the Etha took it in its stride.

Last edited by frenchy2475 : 01-29-2012 at 07:23 PM.
frenchy2475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:38 AM #129
crPaliza

crPaliza owns a Planet Eclipse Etha
The PE Etha is the marker I selected/bought to be my first marker. Therefore, this review is based on my yet limited knowledge of paintball and the only other guns I've touched are rentals and my gf's 11' Proto Rail. Sorry if this ends up sounding kinda like a versus topic but I can only review based on what I have touched or seen.

I assume for $400 it shoots way better than your average rental marker. I've only tried tippy's and spyders when it comes to rentals and the Etha certainly shoots/feels better than those.

Anywho,
The sound signature to me does sound a little bit loud when compared to the Rail but I think that's mainly because the Etha sounds more like a bam other than a swoosh like sound from the Rail.

Shot smoothness,
I didn't notice that the Etha was a bit kickier than the Rail until I actually shot them both side by side. I personally, like the feel of it's kick though and so did my gf. I think more experienced players might feel more of a difference on the kick but I'm just speculating.

Grips,
I love how it just uses 1 screw and how it feels on my hand. I also love how you can take off the trigger just by removing the grips which I've heard that in some other guns you have to take the gun apart. I also love the fact that it's not too rubbery. Too much rubber to me based on experiences with other products (not just markers) wears off faster especially during sweaty conditions and pieces of it can stick to your sweaty sticky hands. Hence, I like the fact that the grips feel durable.

Maintenance,
Is pretty simple to me after reading the manual.

Trigger,
Also feels great although I don't have many guns to compare too.

I love the on/off asa, clamping feedneck, 2-peice barrel, board, build quality, and it performed flawlessly on the field. The Etha also feels really reliable and that is definitely a important factor for me since I live in Costa Rica and support doesn't come as easy as in the States. I am extremely happy of this purchase and the fact that I chose this as my first marker.

Last edited by crPaliza : 01-30-2012 at 08:32 PM.
crPaliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:10 AM #130
padluka

Shot my friends Etha in really cold weather(-17C ~= 1.4F). It was properly lubed(very small amount of lube on orings) before shooting. And no problem at all.

Really great gun, won't it be a problem for Etek3?)))
padluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:13 AM #131
Jack Wood

Annual Supporting Member
Jack Wood is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Jack Wood works for a Paintball manufacturer
Jack Wood owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Quote:
Originally Posted by padluka View Post
Shot my friends Etha in really cold weather(-17C ~= 1.4F). It was properly lubed(very small amount of lube on orings) before shooting. And no problem at all.

Really great gun, won't it be a problem for Etek3?)))
Wow, that is great.

Just our of (professional) interest, which other guns work well at those kind of temperatures?
Jack Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:46 AM #132
padluka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Wood View Post
Wow, that is great.

Just our of (professional) interest, which other guns work well at those kind of temperatures?
Most of poppet valve markers, spool markers only DMs(need LPR adjustment) and SP Ion-based markers, Macdev Drone DX works...
I don't have full statistics

Talking about PE markers - Etek/Ego/Etha works, Geo has problems. You can get this data from your dealers in Russia
padluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:31 AM #133
Jack Wood

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by padluka View Post
Most of poppet valve markers, spool markers only DMs(need LPR adjustment) and SP Ion-based markers, Macdev Drone DX works...
I don't have full statistics

Talking about PE markers - Etek/Ego/Etha works, Geo has problems. You can get this data from your dealers in Russia
Thanks. I'll speak to them. I didn't know where you were from
Old 02-27-2012, 03:51 PM #134
noclue119
D4 to D5 in 3 years.

Annual Supporting Member
noclue119 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
noclue119 supports Team VICIOUS
noclue119 supports Empire
Just got the Etha yesterday. I love the way it shoots. I should add, I can't stand spool valve guns. This is because I hate how little feedback(kick/moving mass/blah blah blah) there is to a spool valve guns(geos included). Etha, however, has just the right amount of feedback to let me know the gun is working.

Over the all the composite frame does not feel cheap at all. Unlike the 07 Proto PMR's composite frame, the Etha's frame is sturdy. I find it almost hard to tell the different between the composite frame and a metal body.

The board. I actually really like this method of setting BPS. I think it is way quicker than the up and down arrow on the egos/geos. The board's usability is amazing. It took me less than 2 mins to figure out how to program it.

The gun's efficiency is not as great as an Ego but for me it is enough. I can get at least 5 pods and a hopper from a 48/4500 tank filled to 4000.

There are only thing that bug me about the gun is that the grips tend to trap paint/dirt in the grooves. It it hard to get all that stuff clean.
noclue119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:19 PM #135
enginerd

enginerd owns a Planet Eclipse Etha
Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue119 View Post
There are only thing that bug me about the gun is that the grips tend to trap paint/dirt in the grooves. It it hard to get all that stuff clean.
I just use a toothbrush on mine - gets all the dirt out in a jiffy. If it's really bad, take them both off and run them under some warm water first.
enginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:15 AM #136
Jack Wood

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by enginerd View Post
I just use a toothbrush on mine - gets all the dirt out in a jiffy. If it's really bad, take them both off and run them under some warm water first.
I was just about to say I use a toothbrush
Old 02-28-2012, 11:11 AM #137
noclue119
D4 to D5 in 3 years.

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Wood View Post
I was just about to say I use a toothbrush
makes sense

3 other things.

1. I wish the SL3 came with(or at least the option of buying) a reg top that screws into a normal ASA. I like to check the pressure of my regulator before screwing it onto the gun.

2. I really like how you used a three prong connector for the micro-switch even though the micro-switch only has 2 wires. This way you avoid having 2 two prong connector as you did on the Eblades. I no longer have to remember which connector goes in which slot. Attention to details .

3. The little piece of paper on the back of the grip to remind you the LCD color to mode setting(and possible values) is a huge plus. I was about to do the same thing until I saw it was already there.

P.S. I have a feeling this gun will be come my go-to gun instead of my ego.

P.P.S
Quote:
Originally Posted by enginerd View Post
Since you are in Atlanta, and your username sounds like Enginnering, you don't go to GT do you? If so, I finished my undergrad there in 2003.

Last edited by noclue119 : 02-28-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:08 PM #138
mikeshocksya
OG MW ARMY

mikeshocksya is a Supporting Member
mikeshocksya plays in the APPA D4 division
shoots good, doesn't blow up paint... Istill haven't fully broken mine in but it shot better than everyone elses luxes n nt's... then again Ikept my paint in the car cause im not a *******
mikeshocksya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:00 AM #139
7lash
Taking it up a LeVe1

7lash works for a Paintball manufacturer
7lash plays in the PSP
7lash owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeshocksya View Post
....then again Ikept my paint in the car cause im not a *******
If more people did this then we wouldn't have to spend so much time on the forums answering 'chopping' questions.
7lash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:09 PM #140
DriverJ
Death is Coming...

Annual Supporting Member
DriverJ is BST Legit
DriverJ owns a Planet Eclipse SLS
DriverJ owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
DriverJ owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
DriverJ owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
DriverJ owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
DriverJ supports Team VICIOUS
Straight out of the box on a brand new ninja tank it was consistently +/- 5 of 270.
I had some almost 2 year old All Star and some couple month old Marbalizers I put through it.
I was shooting PSP 12 with all other settings untouched out of the box.
I used an SL2 barrel on it, .689 bore matched to the paint I had

I shot about 800ish rounds through it and it shot great only breaking 1 ball and it was one of the marbs, not the super old All star.

It was ball on ball as I'd expect with a matched barrel, it was surprisingly gentle on paint and it really didn't have any barrel rise. It did have a bit of "Vibration" in the shot but it didn't really bother me or throw off the consistency of my shots (using only a single hand or both made no real difference).

Cleaning the bolt after the broken ball was easy but the spring was a bit of a pain to clean since I have bigger fingers, but nothing terrible.

Compared to the Ego/Geo trigger I'm used to this one isn't quiet as nice, but compared to other mid range guns I've used this is by far the best trigger.

For being an LED board it is surprisingly painless to set (and I personally really hate having an LED board compared to the LCD's on Eclipse's higher end markers.).

All in all this is the most impressive mid range / entry level tournament marker I have shot.
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this to anyone looking for a marker in this price range, and it will be staying in my gear bag at all times as a solid back up or to be loaned out to new players I bring out. Solidly built and extremely nice for the price range it falls into.
The only things I'd really want for this are an AM kit similar to the Etek3 or even just Metal eye covers, and an OLED board. otherwise fantastic marker.
DriverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:15 PM #141
Apewar

Just put a case thru mine today at a local field. No breaks or chops. Chrono had it at 267-271fps. It was my 1st time to finally shoot the Etha and i burned thru 3 pods and the loader using a 46/3k tank in the 1st round. Air was very low at that point. Obviously i need a better tank but it was a good day
Apewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:19 PM #142
someasianballer
The panda with a gun

someasianballer plays in the PSP
someasianballer plays in the APPA D4 division
I could careless about what comes in the box and what not. I only care about the gun itself. I have owned a good amount of guns and I am a very picky person so please bare with me as I give you my first impressions.

I picked up a brand new etha in galveston.

Ergonomics/feel:
I held a geo 2 first then held a etha.
The etha feels very similar to a geo. The most noticeable and IMO only difference was the width of the frame. The etha does indeed have a much fatter feeling frame. But is not as fat as the etek3. I personally hated the Etek3 frame because its so fat but I can live with the etha's.

The weight though is pretty noticable. Besides holding the geo 2 in hand at the moment, i was using a clone for sunday morning so i think that could make me believe that it was a bit heavier. but right now with my dm6 it is lighter.

The composite material i think is bit stronger then the etek3. I used a buddy's etek for a good while last galveston event and noticed it had a nice bit of flexing in the frame. The etha i feel has a bit less and i think it is alot stronger.

The trigger is nice. I owned 3 egos and all were favored. so having a familiar feeling trigger is very very nice. the return is decently snappy, not to my liking (coming from magnet modded iron men triggers on dm's), but nice enough to make this pretty fast yet having a light pull.

Performance:
The shot is very simliar to an axe. it does have a bit of a lob but overall the trajectory is pretty flat. It is also has a nice pop feeling unlike a slight laggish shot of a stock dm.

The marker is not loud. similar to a mini, for sure not louder then an older ego.

Barrel rise is there. the amount is like a stock g6r or ego 7. not bad similar to any gun out there really( except tuned ego's)

Recoil...is alot. has the force similar to a stock ego 6 or ego7 with stock rammer. I was using a shake and bake hopper to shoot around in my back yard. The recoil was bad enough to agitate the hopper. In psp 12.5, i was consistently shoot 8 bps..

Efficiency:
I only shot a bit over a pod so this is not completely accurate.
with the fps around 290ish, using .688 UL, shooting .684 marbalizer.

i shot a full pod using 6-700 psi on my low pressure 45/45

My nit picks:
1. no micro switch activation point adjustment.
This is by far my biggest pet peeve on the marker.

2. Maybe its just me but my bolt sits slighty back. with marbalizer i noticed there is a bit of roll back.
my bolt is not flush with the breech it acutally is behind it

3. Stop using such hard macro line. out of the box my macro leaked a bit. after playing around with it, it went away.

Remember i only shot a bit over a pod of paint with it.
and this marker is brand new. With break in time i think it will get better.
someasianballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:26 PM #143
noclue119
D4 to D5 in 3 years.

Annual Supporting Member
I have to disagree on the macroline. I am still on my stock piece of macro line on my Ego7. I had it for 4 full years. I usually take the macro line out every other week for cleaning.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:28 PM #144
mikeshocksya
OG MW ARMY

mikeshocksya is a Supporting Member
mikeshocksya plays in the APPA D4 division
mikeshocksya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:40 PM #145
someasianballer
The panda with a gun

someasianballer plays in the PSP
someasianballer plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue119 View Post
I have to disagree on the macroline. I am still on my stock piece of macro line on my Ego7. I had it for 4 full years. I usually take the macro line out every other week for cleaning.
Your macro line was produced 5 years ago..

and plus it was just macro line...tis why i put it last.

btw sorry for the lack of grammer. i was trying to put down all my thoughts before i forget it all

editedit: I will also be doing further testing...mainly in terms of relaiblity and abuse

rubbing paint/sand/mud on the bolt, leaving the gun in a fridge/freezer, and what ever else i can think of
except for throwing it( i just dont feel comfortable doing that yet)

Last edited by someasianballer : 03-13-2012 at 12:57 AM.
someasianballer is offline   Reply With Quote