Old 01-23-2012, 07:39 PM #1
paintballhead5
Infernal Fury

paintballhead5 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
paintballhead5 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
paintballhead5 plays in the APPA D5 division
Extreme Chopping

So i used my promaster the first time in about a year last saturday and it did nothing but chop all day. I lubed the regs and put in a fresh duracel 9v before i went (the 9v still feels fully charged when i touch it to my tongue), the gun chronoed and was quite consistent. Whenever i would rip on the trigger (i am using uncapped semi mode) i would get a chop within a couple of balls then it would never end. I tried both my halo and a vl eye force same problem on both hoppers, also replaced batteries in both to see if that was the problem. I checked my barrel and upped my back to a .693 but that didnt make a difference because they were chops, there was shell all over my bolt every time. My eyes were on because when i would turn the gun on and fire with no paint nothing would happen. One game i was playing and my halo jammed and there was no paint flowing into the gun and my gun continued to fire....how would the eyes turn them selves off? I checked for pinched and broken wires and didnt see any issues. I cleaned the eyes after the first couple of games to see if that was the problem and it wasnt. I checked the detentes and replaced one that wasn't returning right and that made no difference. I also checked for blowback in the feedneck and their was none. I was using cheep walmart jt paint but i doubt thats the issue because the shells were hard and thick. They were a super dark purple color, does the pds system have any issues with dark color paint?

Any ideas?

Sorry if it sounds like rambling i was just typing as i thought of things.

Old Feedback: http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...paintballhead5
New Feedback: http://www.pbnation.com/feedback.php?u=2540
paintballhead5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:57 PM #2
spaz66

spaz66 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
spaz66 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
This looks like a thread you need to put on ICDO they have alot of answers that can be addressed
spaz66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:32 PM #3
TheArtist

Yes it could be the paint. You may also out shooting your hopper. The ball will bounce in the feedneck and cause the eye to sense it, but could be part way back up the feedneck. Temp will also affect it, change your dwell to a larger number, you will have to increase your HP. This will give it a longer softer blow, instead of sharp hard one.
TheArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:49 PM #4
KillerYukon

My promaster was pretty hard on paint when i first got it. u should just balance ur regs out and try a different high quality paint. see if it helps.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:30 PM #5
Nobody609

Nobody609 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
breaking paint can be 2 things. actual chopping or just barrel breaks.

if its barrel breaks, it could be bad detents, bad paint, bad bore to barrel match, or even a loader that the batteries are dying, and not feeding properly.

if you have paint up the feedneck and in the breech, then it could be a chop. hell, i've had my halo feed to hard and force a chop.

check the board and the eyes. turn it on(you don't need air or paint) and stick you finger in the breech and listen for the noid clicking. then turn off the eyes(if its a stock board, hold the trigger for 5 seconds and the LED will blink) and pull the trigger. that is the best and only test to see if the eyes are working. if that is fine, the eyes are not the problem.

if you have an aftermarket board, then you need to check the settings, and see if there is something wrong in the settings.
Nobody609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:05 PM #6
paintballhead5
Infernal Fury

I know for sure their not barrel breaks. I checked the eyes by putting my finger in the breach and they seem to be working. I rebalanced my regulators, cleaned the eyes, checked the detents and everything seemed fine. I tried the gun again and got a break within the first 10 shots. The only thing I can think of is the dwell may be to high causing a harsh blast of air blowing up the balls in the breach. I still need to try a different brand of paint. I used this paint on my vs2 and shot it roughly 15bps with no breaks or chops. Starting to get frustrated.

Last edited by paintballhead5 : 01-26-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:35 PM #7
the_great_turd
Leagelize it

the_great_turd is a Supporting Member
was it old paint?
the_great_turd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:53 PM #8
Nobody609

Nobody609 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
hand feed the paint. that will eliminate any hopper issue. you could have some blow back, which will cause the paint to popcorn, which would cause the paint chopping.
Nobody609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:11 PM #9
krupasjeans
happy day

If you tried the paint and it worked fine at 15bps with your VS2 then it's probably not the paint nor the hopper.

You could try the method Nobody is recommending. If you don't get any breaks by hand feeding but encounter breaks when you put on a hopper and shoot fast it then you would want to delve a little deeper into it.

Check your dwell. 8ms is pretty much the standard.

Stick your finger down into the feedneck and feel around. Are there exposed feedneck threads that might puncture a paintball shell? When I upgraded my feedneck I think I noticed that some threads were exposed at the bottom. However I've never noticed affecting my breakage rate. (I rarely break good paint with mine with the eyes on) If you think that might be the problem you could try screwing your feedneck on tighter.

Also, when the marker fires the LPR vents it's gas into the trigger frame. I've always thought that the air being vented by the LPR can travel up to the eyes and actually push a paintball back up during rapid fire(when there is a lot of air being vented into the trigger frame) One thing you could try if you have some spare time is to try and seal the area around the eye wires (maybe with a hot glue gun) and see if that helps prevent breakage.

Other than that and changing the type of paint, I'm all out of ideas.
krupasjeans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:38 PM #10
paintballhead5
Infernal Fury

The dwell was at 6. I moved it to 8 and that seemed to fix the problem. Thanks for the help!