ReplyNews Ups

Old 01-17-2012, 11:17 PM #64
The_Leech
Tell me I'm pretty.

The_Leech is playing at Living Legends VI
The_Leech plays in the APPA beginner division
The_Leech has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
The_Leech supports Empire
Even though this is better than money ball, I just dont like the idea. The whole flag carrier thing makes the game kinda silly to me. I think 4 players is a little weird, but not a game breaker for me.

I liked the region idea the most. If you just made the rules similar to other leagues and kept the region thing, this would be even better than the flag format.

I support the CHICAGO HERETICS
The_Leech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-17-2012, 11:18 PM #65
Giruc

Annual Supporting Member
Giruc supports Team VICIOUS
Giruc plays in the APPA D4 division
Giruc is attending Decay of Nations VI
Giruc supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsoldier View Post
When we have tried to explain and show players the rules everyone has had pretty much that same things to say as most of you guys had said but then they play it and it all starts to make sense, even when i first heard about it i was like it probally won't work till i actually saw and played it, then i was like this is awesome. I have seen that same thing over and over with the players that we have showing it to, at first they are like i dont't know about all this the n they play and it all makes sense.

the mans right i was really unsure of the format personally didn't know where it go personally and was really questionable about the game at first then i played it holy **** its fun it forces u to be aggressive i got a lot of games in that day even if you don't play the series the format is genius to get ur players more aggressive honestly so much fun just try it

PDX VEXX
PaintballNW.com
NW SOLDIER
DXS CONTROL THE GAME
Giruc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:20 PM #66
Nick Brockdorff

has been a member for 10 years
Nick Brockdorff posts videos on PbNation
Like any other format, the flag is totally irrelevant in 99 % of the games.

Happens every few years - some well intentioned individual dreams up a format to give paintball a "focal point".

But it doesn't work and it never will, because this sport, at its heart, is about shooting the other guys, and not get shot yourself.

Whatever other silly rules you want to apply to the game, will always take a back seat to that, because you can't usually fulfill whatever you are supposed to do to score, in any format, while people are shooting at you.

We all just have to come to terms with that truth, move on, enjoy our game - and wait for technology to be able to televise paintball properly.... everything else is a fools errand.

Nick Brockdorff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:32 AM #67
Tom?
*>sp

Uninterested, real xball is the best and most exciting format for paintball.

And seriously, my headband has to match the uniform? There goes like 90% of headbands in use unless your team color is camo.
Tom? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:37 AM #68
Zippin35

Zippin35 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Zippin35 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Zippin35 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Zippin35 is attending Decay of Nations VI
I like the idea of offense/defense but I feel like the red zone eliminates the defensive push. If your down a point and don't have the flag, the flag carrier on offense can just tuck behind a back corner, never pop out, and waste time. Maybe if you would allow only 1 person on defense to pass the red zone in order to close out a side it would allow for a even more aggressive game. Im on the fence about this but I wouldnt mind playing it one day to make up my mind.
New England Crusade #35
Bored? On Facebook? Come join my group Paintball Gear for Sale!
Zippin35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:30 AM #69
pbdude911

PSP webcast already have proved you can film live... It works great and they guys doing it are amatures (not saying anything bad), image if a real crew put it together.
pbdude911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:36 AM #70
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl is a Supporting Member
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl supports our troops
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbdude911 View Post
PSP webcast already have proved you can film live... It works great and they guys doing it are amatures (not saying anything bad), image if a real crew put it together.
I've been televising paintball for 7 years. The "paintball amateurs" are far better at televising paintball than the "pros".

Although, we have not had an occasion yet where we've put Pro BUDGET together with "paintball amateurs"; the few times the industry has blown a couple hundred thousand plus on a production it's been with non-paintball people.

- Chris

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org
raehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:42 AM #71
Luigi Speed 05
PBN made me a gun whore..

Luigi Speed 05 plays in the PSP
Luigi Speed 05 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Luigi Speed 05 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Luigi Speed 05 plays in the APPA D4 division
Luigi Speed 05 supports DLX Technology
first of all, can we get a video of one of these "great, fun" matches some
of you seem to have played in this format? the one on the video sucked,
especially if you're trying to "showcase" it to us

second thing, the whole "focal point" thing, I believe has been something
people have tried to achieve in the past when the "focal point" of leagues
and promoters was to get their product on tv. I think we can, at this time,
safely assume that this boat has sailed. sure, we can have Raehl give us
the final game of the college "season", and nppl get some games on ppv,
but espn is not going to open time for us unless it's paid time, and I don't
see outside-big-time sponsors like Coca Cola or Toyota rushing to get their
ads in between paintball games, not matter the format. that's why this will
never catch-on on a big, national scale. I'd like to try it one day thou.

$outh Beach Pimp$ sponsored by: Planet Eclipse, SobePaintball, Deadly Wind, Ninja Paintball & The Ford Report

DaLuxeMob

Last edited by Luigi Speed 05 : 01-18-2012 at 09:45 AM.
Luigi Speed 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:48 AM #72
ck028

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippin35
I like the idea of offense/defense but I feel like the red zone eliminates the defensive push. If your down a point and don't have the flag, the flag carrier on offense can just tuck behind a back corner, never pop out, and waste time. Maybe if you would allow only 1 person on defense to pass the red zone in order to close out a side it would allow for a even more aggressive game. Im on the fence about this but I wouldnt mind playing it one day to make up my mind.
If the flag carrier wastes time, the play is dead and the offense loses possession. The short game clock forces aggressiveness.
ck028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:50 AM #73
pbdude911

Quote:
Originally Posted by raehl View Post
I've been televising paintball for 7 years. The "paintball amateurs" are far better at televising paintball than the "pros".

Although, we have not had an occasion yet where we've put Pro BUDGET together with "paintball amateurs"; the few times the industry has blown a couple hundred thousand plus on a production it's been with non-paintball people.

- Chris
That's not really a fair comparison. The last time a "pro" crew put something together was a long time ago. Sure there is the NPPL stuff, but even that was not the same people who film NFL/MLB games everyday. There is an art to working a tricaster and getting the right angles up on screen. If you notice on the PSP and NCPA events, replays are never smooth, You have the feeling that its their first rodeo. Im not taking anything away from you or the PSP.

What I was saying is that even though these guys are not the best, The end product is still pretty damn good. So that disputes the fact that "paintball cant's be filmed" which is why these people are trying to change the format.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:10 AM #74
Enzo28
Nevada Paintball # 28

Enzo28 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Enzo28 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I'm sorry guys.. But for those of you that are complaining that the rules to the game are complicated, yall must be in 1st grade... It's really not that hard to understand. I've never played or seen the format in person, it doesn't look bad. If we as a community want our sport to grow we must be excepting of all new things. Bashing won't help and it makes all of us look like self centered *****. Please think a little before yall post.

Reno Archaic #28
Reno Aces
DontGitGot
NPL League Killer
Enzo28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:53 AM #75
noclue119
D3 to D4 in.... never

Annual Supporting Member
noclue119 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
noclue119 supports Team VICIOUS
noclue119 plays in the APPA D3 division
noclue119 supports Empire
So basically only people on offense can score a point and the defense player can't cross the 50?

No offense but I don't know of anyone who can afford this kind of paint ball. It seems like it sux to be on defense each time. Why don't u turn down the ROF of the offensive players and create opportunity for the defensive player to score as well.
noclue119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:03 AM #76
sphynx
Scuba

sphynx posts videos on PbNation
sphynx has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
sphynx supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo28 View Post
I'm sorry guys.. But for those of you that are complaining that the rules to the game are complicated, yall must be in 1st grade... It's really not that hard to understand. I've never played or seen the format in person, it doesn't look bad. If we as a community want our sport to grow we must be excepting of all new things. Bashing won't help and it makes all of us look like self centered *****. Please think a little before yall post.

If you don't like something in the rules, want something changed ect ect

EXPLAIN WHY and SUGGEST a SOLUTION!
sphynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:06 AM #77
pbdude911

Its a stupid format... If you want to change paintball, Go back to uncapped semi (no bounce/no ramp) and remove the lane blockers. The original xball fields (pre-blocker) were nice and uncluttered and fun to watch (also makes it easier to watch as there is not su much crap in the way.) It will be cheaper because you shoot less paint, you will see more moves as you wont be able to keep 12bps consistantly, its more exciting and fun in general...
Old 01-18-2012, 11:09 AM #78
sphynx
Scuba

Quote:
Its a stupid format... If you want to change paintball, Go back to uncapped semi (no bounce/no ramp) and remove the lane blockers. The original xball fields (pre-blocker) were nice and uncluttered and fun to watch (also makes it easier to watch as there is not su much crap in the way.) It will be cheaper because you shoot less paint, you will see more moves as you wont be able to keep 12bps consistantly, its more exciting and fun in general...
Thanks for the input

I'm sure the creators of this format would love to hear feedback from the paintball community seeing as the official rules have been up online to the public for only a few days... Helpful feedback would be appreciated!
Old 01-18-2012, 11:15 AM #79
sphynx
Scuba

Suggestions that I have heard that I like are being lenient for the first year or two on the Teams Attire. Gearing up COMPLETELY in the same gear ( from headbands to shoes) will take time. I agree that headbands should NOT be uniform, and shoes for that matter. Jerseys/Pants/Gloves seems reasonable. :Tup:
Old 01-18-2012, 11:48 AM #80
ck028

Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue119
So basically only people on offense can score a point and the defense player can't cross the 50?

No offense but I don't know of anyone who can afford this kind of paint ball. It seems like it sux to be on defense each time. Why don't u turn down the ROF of the offensive players and create opportunity for the defensive player to score as well.
The defense must stop the offense to get possession. Defensive plays are just as important as offensive. If you can't keep then from moving, they pinch you out and score. They maintain possession until they can be stopped. A whole game may yield varied scores: 8-0, 4-4 then it goes to OT, even 2-1. Defense isn't complex. Just hold key bunkers and lock down the field. It's just like a normal game. The offense must shut the d down and progress, pinching the d out. It's not rocket science.

EDIT
There is no ROF cap. You said turn it down, why? Nobody will force you to shoot 18bps. You can keep someone pinned with less.
ck028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:57 AM #81
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl is a Supporting Member
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl supports our troops
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
That's not really a fair comparison. The last time a "pro" crew put something together was a long time ago. Sure there is the NPPL stuff, but even that was not the same people who film NFL/MLB games everyday. There is an art to working a tricaster and getting the right angles up on screen. If you notice on the PSP and NCPA events, replays are never smooth, You have the feeling that its their first rodeo. Im not taking anything away from you or the PSP.
I agree with regards to the result, but NOT the cause.

Believe me, I've worked with out-of-industry crews, and paintball crews, and in each case there's a unique problem: In-industry crews are operating on tiny budgets (which leads to shortages of advanced equipment) and out-of-industry crews lack the experience to cover paintball well. So in one case you get good coverage with constrained production, and in the other you get great production with horrible coverage.

If we could arm our paintball production crews with large budgets, we might start to see a much better product.

Technology coming down in cost will help too.

As for paintball not being on ESPN, you're right, paintball won't be on ESPN again for some time - but that's not because paintball can't be as interesting to watch as other sports, it's because we have never put paintball on TV the "right" way, which is developing the audience for it first.

They televise Golf not because it's a particularly exciting sport to watch, but because there are a lot of people who play golf who will watch it. We need to get back to having more people who casually play paintball, and that audience will support paintball on television.

- Chris

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org
raehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:57 AM #82
sphynx
Scuba

Yep! Don't need to dump paint to keep someone in. Also, changing the teams guns ROF every time defense and offence switched would be...tedious
Old 01-18-2012, 12:02 PM #83
sphynx
Scuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by raehl View Post
As for paintball not being on ESPN, you're right, paintball won't be on ESPN again for some time - but that's not because paintball can't be as interesting to watch as other sports, it's because we have never put paintball on TV the "right" way, which is developing the audience for it first.

- Chris

Pure fire right here. He speaks the truth.

I watched the 05' nppl vids a while back at work, and If i didn't play paintball, i'd have no idea wtf they were talking about OR doing on the field. Getting people interested and wanting to learn more about the sport/try the sport/watch the sport - would be the goal.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:07 PM #84
jonotwist
fistfull o'sunshine & joy

Annual Supporting Member
jonotwist is playing at Living Legends VII
jonotwist plays in the APPA D4 division
jonotwist supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny OKC View Post
Uncapped semi, walk it as fast as u can....

Most have used less paint than a regular day of playing, with more games played.

Paint has been set, you have access to as much of it as you can muster mister.

What you wont see is anybody who has actually PLAYED this format bad mouthing how it plays.....

We have been averaging about 30+ games a day. I have never been this tired during tourney play.....
keep in mind im basing this in total observation. why would you expect me to be well seasoned to have a
background on the ins and outs of this play when its not a staple or at all widespread yet. i mean, really.
im not tying to egg anyone on, but a few responses i see for the "elite" echelon that had a chance to play
seem to follow this formula.

Quote:
"god you people know nothing!" "what, you havent played it before?" "yeah, the series hasn't started, so what?"
it does sound interesting, but again, the vid presented as a representation showed alot of what xball
shows. find a spot, squat, shoot. and we all know the xball player's paint expenses. but like moneyball,
the flag play does show some promising possibilities. then again the pro leagues should have a great
shot at this, but what about the meat and potatoes AM player? again, paint supply, prices, and the
fact that there doesnt seem to be any league support for the player when there are only demands made.

conform.
conform.
conform.

get ready for the cream and cherry,it seems to be out of the little mans pocket.
oh, and you cant play with your team. your group of buddies. your brotherhood you
forged through past seasons. bonds made, money won and lost, wins, losses, struggles
and triumphs. and to top it all off there is NO information on these combines or regional events.

edit, i do apologize
there is some info,

but only one region,
http://www.nationalpaintballleague.com/region1.php

only thing i can offer is best of luck. hope there is another top contender for leagues.

Breakout Actions Sports Wenies Buy Elsewhere

Last edited by jonotwist : 01-18-2012 at 01:13 PM.
jonotwist is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyNews Ups

Paintball News Rules
  1. No Upping threads. If you have something to say, please do, but don't post in the thread just to take it to the top of the forum.
  2. Do not post "1st post", "1st", "First post" or anything similar (or with any other number) at any point in a thread, even if you post a comment too. It is really annoying and it will result in a ban.
  3. If you don't like something, say why instead of just calling it ugly, lame, gay or any other name. If it is old, simply post a link or report the post with a link to the older News thread.
  4. Please don't post links for places to buy items. That encourages stores, sponsored players and other people to do it and spam the site.
If you have questions, please post them in the Talk to Mods/Admins forum.