PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-14-2012, 08:51 PM #1
Noob Baller123
eSKay

Possible corrupt laptop hard drive

Not very intelligent with computers so I will try my best to explain as best as possible.

A few months ago my HP dv4 turned on sleep mode. I woke up and went to use it the next day and it told me that windows is having a problem and that I can try some type of windows recovery or boot standard. I tried the windows recovery and it went to the windows loading screen but nothing shows up but the cursor. I restarted and tried to boot standard and the same thing happened. I have been reading up on it and I guess this happens a lot with windows 7. I tried to boot into safe mode and it goes through all of my drivers and stops and freezes at the disc drive. HP has some type of recovery and I did a memory test and it basically said it couldn't finish due to the hard drive. I have tried everything to get the thing to boot so I could try a system recovery but I can't get it to run. My computer never came with a disc so tomorrow I'm calling them and having a disc sent and once I try to boot with the disc I will see what happens.

Can anyone share some insight on what possibly might have gone wrong? Anything I should try?

-Purdue-
S.D.Chargers Denver Nuggets
ScissKids-we go where the money goes
"I like crabs..not the kind Kenny has..but the ones you eat"-Charles Barkley
Noob Baller123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-14-2012, 09:47 PM #2
cww516
clever text goes here

cww516 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
You just did plain old safe mode, right? Not safe mode w/ networking or whatever?

If it came without a disc, it probably has a recovery partition on the hard drive. There's a probably a key you have to press on startup (before Windows starts loading) to get to it (use the googles to find it), but basically, it'll copy the stock hard drive image from the recovery partition to the main partition. This will more than likely nuke anything you have on there, though, so I'd do that later.

If you have a big enough flash drive handy, download ultimate boot CD (UBCD) and install it to the flash drive using unetbootin (makes a bootable flash drive out of a disc iso image), or just burn it to a CD. Boot that up, and use the hard disk diagnostic tool that matches your hard drive brand, see if the drive is going bad. Next step would be to get your data off the drive if you have to, and Knoppix is probably the way to go for that.
cww516 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:12 PM #3
Noob Baller123
eSKay

Yes I did try just regular safe mode and that did not work either. I'm going to atttempt to call HP on this problem as well since this is the 2nd problem I have had with the laptop in the past year and a half even though I only opted for the 1 year warranty.

Now I do have xfinity cable, phone and internet. It comes with a norton package for free that includes some type of backup. SO, I believe I should have a back up somewhere be it on a small drive inside the computer or online, I just don't know how to access it to see if anything is even on there.

I will definately check in on the recovery partition tomorrow when I'm with my laptop and report back. If HP doesn't help out and the bootable disc doesn't work then I will give this a shot but I don't want to lose everything unless it's a last resort type of thing.

Thanks for the help and I will definately update on progress tomorrow

-Purdue-
S.D.Chargers Denver Nuggets
ScissKids-we go where the money goes
"I like crabs..not the kind Kenny has..but the ones you eat"-Charles Barkley
Noob Baller123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:29 PM #4
ownage312
Hi There!

try acquiring a windows 7 disc. reinstall, or you can choose recovery option, and use the chkdsk function.(google it)
ownage312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:17 AM #5
jones1982

manage a bootable windows 7 DVD & format your C drive & reinstall OS.. I hope your problem will be fixed
jones1982 is offline   Reply With Quote