PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-16-2012, 06:57 PM #1
Jinjiro

has been a member for 10 years
Home TV Station Software

Does anyone know of any home TV station software, preferably free? I have tons of digital content, but sometimes I hate deciding what to watch. I'm looking for software that would run on a home server and allow me to simply create TV stations with content that I choose - either specific shows, or just point it to a folder. Then I'd be able to 'flip through the channels' and find something I like.

For instance, you could have one channel that only played Simpsons episodes, or another that only played movies.

I tried searching, but most results are for single channels and don't offer the type of front end I'm looking for. I'd like something that closely resembled regular cable/dish TV. If nothing exists, maybe it's time for a new project...
Jinjiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-16-2012, 07:15 PM #2
paintballking72
Yummy! :-)

paintballking72 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Not sure if it is exactly what you are looking for, but the main three are Plex, XBMC, and boxes

I prefer plex. It allows you to set up a media server with all your content. You can then install the player on all your PC's and Mac's, and even mobile devices.
paintballking72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:33 PM #3
Jinjiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballking72 View Post
Not sure if it is exactly what you are looking for, but the main three are Plex, XBMC, and boxes
Yeah, I'm a little familiar with some of the different home theatre front ends, but don't know if any of them do what I was talking about or not. I'll look into them more though - thanks!
Old 01-16-2012, 08:12 PM #4
paintballking72
Yummy! :-)

paintballking72 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Are you wanting something that you would just flip through like if you were watching TV? Not really sure if there is anything that does that.

Plex will scan your library though, and organize it for you. For instance, I go to the TV Shows playlist that I set to scan a folder containing all my TV Shows, it gathers all the meta data, and organizes a list of all the shows. Within each show it builds a list of all the seasons, within that a list of each episode in that season.
paintballking72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:07 PM #5
Jinjiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballking72 View Post
Are you wanting something that you would just flip through like if you were watching TV? Not really sure if there is anything that does that.
Yeah, I want something that you could flip through 'channels' and find a video that's already in progress. It probably sounds dumb now that I'm thinking about it, and I honestly don't know if I would even use it after trying it out, but it was just something I thought of. A way to replicate the mindless habit of channel surfing, but with your own content and channels you made.

"Oh, let's see what's on channel 3. Futurama...up next is Family Guy. Hmm, how about channel 5? The first Sherlock Holmes movie." Something like that.

You'd have to code it in a way that doesn't require a ton of resources but still has a good response time.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:16 PM #6
BlitzPA9

BlitzPA9 is a founding member
I don't know why you would want channels when you could just play movies and episodes on-demand. With XBMC you could create a video playlist and randomize it. What's the difference?
BlitzPA9 is offline   Reply With Quote