Easily Amused

1stGenRex is a Paintball photographer
1stGenRex supports Cereal Killerz 2
1stGenRex donated to help Peyton Trent
1stGenRex helped look for balloons
1stGenRex is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariel View Post
My brother just got a Transformer for Christmas, and other than having massive battery life, it's pretty unimpressive. There are too many things it can't do, which his $200 netbook can.
Such as?
1stGenRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-30-2011, 01:11 PM #44
Pariel

It basically boils down to using Windows programs in general. It's not any better at doing word processing or web browsing than his netbook.

The only thing it has going for it over the Touchpad I had and sold is the ability to add a plug in keyboard (with a large battery), and better build quality.

Last edited by Pariel : 12-30-2011 at 01:14 PM.
Pariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:31 PM #45
1stGenRex
Easily Amused

It basically boils down to using Windows programs in general. It's not any better at doing word processing or web browsing than his netbook.

The only thing it has going for it over the Touchpad I had and sold is the ability to add a plug in keyboard (with a large battery), and better build quality.

Yeah, forget the app market, ongoing OS development, and warranty support, because who would need those with a tablet...
Old 12-30-2011, 03:47 PM #46
Pariel

So, count on it to get better so it can compete with a real computer (or even a netbook which costs about 1/3 of the total price of the Transformer and keyboard)?

I ran Android on my Touchpad for a a couple months. The app market is a joke compared to the programs available for any Windows or OS X machine. It's a glorified smart phone at best (the Transformer does have GPS, for some reason). Between the Ipad, Touchpad, and Transformer I'm pretty much convinced that the day of the tablet is at least a long time away (if ever).

I don't see how warranty support plays into it, but given that his netbook is also made by ASUS, I would expect them to have similar warranties.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:59 PM #47
Angry_Birds
Money over *****es

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
I lol'd hard. Thats one of the funniest arguments ive heard for an apple product yet.

Thats almost as good as me asking why people like apple and they say "cause it just works".
I'm not fan of their computers, but in terms of gestures and interactions across their entire product line Apple is really the only one who gets it. I got a Kindle Fire as a Christmas present from my company, and EVERYBODY who came over and used it noticed how much worse the touchscreen and gestures were. So far, every single attempt at multi-touch trackpad gestures by any PC manufacturer is just downright terrible. Compared to OS X's gestures it's really almost a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariel View Post
My brother just got a Transformer for Christmas, and other than having massive battery life, it's pretty unimpressive. There are too many things it can't do, which his $200 netbook can.
That's the problem, it can't compete with the iPad as a tablet and it can't compete with a full blown notebook/netbook as a computing device. Couple all that with a robot name and I foresee record sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stGenRex View Post
Yeah, forget the app market, ongoing OS development, and warranty support, because who would need those with a tablet...
what does this even mean? A motorola RAZR has "warranty support" and an "app market"
Old 12-31-2011, 12:22 AM #48
1stGenRex
Easily Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry_Birds View Post

what does this even mean? A motorola RAZR has "warranty support" and an "app market"
Where in the post where he's talking about an HP Touchpad, did he mention a Motorola Razr?
Old 12-31-2011, 11:40 AM #49
Pariel

Funny, my Touchpad ran Android just fine. Not that there were any apps on Android and not on webOS which actually did anything useful. Also, the Touchpad still had a year of warranty support.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:08 PM #50
Jebus Christ
Praise Jebus!

While I am an android fanatic, I feel like it is not ready for prime time (lol prime time, get it, I said prime, ha, okay I'll stop) when it comes to the tablet game. It feels to clunky for me. Obviously this will change with better hardware but Google definintely needs to do something about making the OS as a whole something easier to run and with fewer to no hiccups.

"Originally posted by Ben-Oblivion : Jebus , You are full of win and flavr. I will never doubt your holyness again."

Vist my new tech Blog: www.brokemanstech.com
Jebus Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:43 PM #51
H3rEye51nRoam
GWC #29

has been a member for 10 years
H3rEye51nRoam donated to help Peyton Trent
H3rEye51nRoam supports Bob Gurnsey
If you are still considering purchasing a tablet, something that you may want to consider looking into is a remote desktop client (e.g. LogMeIn Ignition, Splashtop, TeamViewer, etc). There are several free and pay-for apps that allow you to remotely work on a laptop or desktop from your tablet or mobile phone. Such an app will allow you to merge the portability of a tablet with the functionality of a laptop or desktop.