Old 12-10-2011, 09:21 PM #1
xX_3NRIQU3_TX_Xx
CYCLOPS PAINTBALL

xX_3NRIQU3_TX_Xx supports Team VICIOUS
xX_3NRIQU3_TX_Xx is for the Gunfight
xX_3NRIQU3_TX_Xx supports DLX Technology
Do I need more gear?

Ive seen lots of fancy/badass gear but is it really necessary I have the important gear like chest protector,tippman mask,gun,2 9oz tanks,pod harness do I need anything else besides fancy jerseys just need advice from experienced players
Advertisement
Old 12-10-2011, 09:23 PM #2
Headshotted
www.icd-owners.com

Headshotted has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
You need experience and a reliable marker setup. Watching other people play, and saving money to play will become invaluable later on down the road. I would (and I have) Rather use older gear that I know is reliable and sacrifice some weight/gear (IE, heavier, older gear) to play constantly, and get better, and faster. Once you're better, and faster from that playing with the heavier, older gear, switching to a newer, lighter setup will only help. That, and keep your old gun, if it's an old reliable. You never know who will need a backup marker.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:28 PM #3
xX_3NRIQU3_TX_Xx
CYCLOPS PAINTBALL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headshotted
You need experience and a reliable marker setup. Watching other people play, and saving money to play will become invaluable later on down the road. I would (and I have) Rather use older gear that I know is reliable and sacrifice some weight/gear (IE, heavier, older gear) to play constantly, and get better, and faster. Once you're better, and faster from that playing with the heavier, older gear, switching to a newer, lighter setup will only help. That, and keep your old gun, if it's an old reliable. You never know who will need a backup marker.
But I mainly play woodsball do you have any advice on what I need
Old 12-10-2011, 10:28 PM #4
Headshotted
www.icd-owners.com

Headshotted has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Mainly play woodsball? Something accurate, reliable, good on air. Some camo, and a good mask, and you should be solid. Look at getting a universal or tactical pod pack later on. Work on your moving silently.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:36 PM #5
xX_3NRIQU3_TX_Xx
CYCLOPS PAINTBALL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headshotted
Mainly play woodsball? Something accurate, reliable, good on air. Some camo, and a good mask, and you should be solid. Look at getting a universal or tactical pod pack later on. Work on your moving silently.
Thanks for the advice
Old 12-11-2011, 12:44 PM #6
Mephysteaux
Pronounced Meh-Fist-Oh

Mephysteaux owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Mephysteaux owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Added gear can be nice to have sometimes, but as long as you have a mask, marker, tank, hopper, some pods and a way to carry them, you don't really need anything else.

Jerseys, from my experience, mostly just serve to set you apart as a member of a team, I wouldn't worry too much about getting one until you're on a team. Aside from that, any piece of gear you pick up can help your performance out a bit, but I'd worry about skills over gear.

Hellkatz present: Blues Brothers - May 11, 2013 - LVP South, Hatfield PA

Join Fitocracy, the free online social fitness game.
Mephysteaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:35 PM #7
Milky Spore
i be illin'.

ditch the chest protector (unless if you have a medical condition that warrants it) and instead get knee and elbow pads. at the bare minimum you NEED knee pads to play paintball. otherwise you'll never be able to get into any bunker or play properly without doing some serious damage to your knees. GET KNEE PADS. i played for about a year without them and my knees are ****ed up for life because of it. i'm 18 years old and my knees hurt so much all the time to the point i can barely walk anymore. i can't do half the things i used to do. not exaggerating either, my knees got completely wrecked because of playing paintball without pads. you never know when you're going to kneel down on a sharp root, or a bunker stake, or a piece of metal, or whatever.

also, if you haven't already, get a good high-end mask. if you're using a crappy and cheap mask then a high-end mask will completely change your game and make your whole experience WAY better.

jerseys are for try hards/fruits/people who are actually good and play for an established team in a tournament series (PSP, NPPL, etc.)

Last edited by Milky Spore : 12-11-2011 at 06:37 PM.
Milky Spore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:03 PM #8
JC001
CrownPB

JC001 plays in the PSP
JC001 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
JC001 posts videos on PbNation
JC001 plays in the APPA D4 division
I agree that knee pads are by far the most essential piece of equipment after a good mask.

Depending on the competition your going against you might find you need a better marker/tank/loader set-up but only time on the field can tell you that.
JC001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:12 PM #9
Milky Spore
i be illin'.

i wouldn't even worry about the gun at all yet. the soft gear is what really makes or breaks your experience. look at this diagram. it's the damn, irrefutable truth.

what do you have for a pod pack? the simple kind that is just a piece of fabric attached to a belt SUCKS. they flop around everywhere and always move. this is that type.

the good kind looks like this. the belts are larger, more comfortable and since everything is attached it doesn't flop around, move and get in your way.

Last edited by Milky Spore : 12-11-2011 at 07:15 PM.
Milky Spore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:13 PM #10
turnburglar
Mr. "iminitforthecheck"

turnburglar owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
It doesn't matter if your playing woodsball or speedball.... Once a year or twice a week....

You will be glad you spent money on a good mask. Getting back into the sport I found a used once proto axis pro for $50 shipped in the bst. I was gonna get a i3 (because I used the og invision) but got the axis pro because of the fast change lenses. Makes cleaning super fast. I will note that other masks will breathe better then the axis pro ... But after working in a gas mask that's a non issue for me.
turnburglar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:44 PM #11
cpt_crunch

cpt_crunch has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Mask to see stuff
Marker to shoot stuff
Tank to power stuff
Barrel to hit stuff
Paint to mark stuff

everything else is frills

Tippmann mask = garbage. Sorry to say it but that is not a decent mask by any stretch. I like Vforce because it offers a bit more coverage, Dye masks are great, empire, sly, etc... Thats the first to get.

Secondly, tippmann 98, decent gun it'll last forever, stick with that until you find something else you fall in love with, you may just keep it forever, not a problem.

Barrel/barrel kit is great.

HPA is great if your at a field. If you dont play at a field you can stick with co2 for more shots per fill, even though HPA wins in every other contest.
Lover of All Things Paintball

Buy my airsoft gear
cpt_crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:44 PM #12
gijoey959
I Kill Suckers

gijoey959 plays in the PSP
gijoey959 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
gijoey959 plays in the APPA beginner division
gijoey959 supports DLX Technology
Really, I recball and I have all I need

A reliable gun, a good mask, a $10 Redz drop leg pod pack, 2 pods, and I'm good to go
gijoey959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:45 PM #13
cpt_crunch

cpt_crunch has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Spore View Post

Behold the truth
Lover of All Things Paintball

Buy my airsoft gear
cpt_crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:32 PM #14
xX_3NRIQU3_TX_Xx
CYCLOPS PAINTBALL

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt_crunch
Mask to see stuff
Marker to shoot stuff
Tank to power stuff
Barrel to hit stuff
Paint to mark stuff

everything else is frills

Tippmann mask = garbage. Sorry to say it but that is not a decent mask by any stretch. I like Vforce because it offers a bit more coverage, Dye masks are great, empire, sly, etc... Thats the first to get.

Secondly, tippmann 98, decent gun it'll last forever, stick with that until you find something else you fall in love with, you may just keep it forever, not a problem.

Barrel/barrel kit is great.

HPA is great if your at a field. If you dont play at a field you can stick with co2 for more shots per fill, even though HPA wins in every other contest.
Mask is only for the mean time I'm still looking for perfect mask. gun is a genesis surge
Old 12-11-2011, 09:43 PM #15
YeloSno
Breadloser

Annual Supporting Member
YeloSno supports Team VICIOUS
YeloSno is for the Gunfight
YeloSno is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
YeloSno is Legendary
YeloSno supports Empire
Try Empire Events and the JT Proflex.

They are, undoubtedly, the two best masks on the market...

At elast to me, and I've worn the i3s, i4s, profits, proflexes, flex7s, flex8s, proflex revolutions, vforce grills, vforce profilers, and some others that I forget.

Just whatever you do, make sure the proflex has 2 straps (by buying a second or something like that...) It will become infinitesimally more comfortable.

Other than that, look to eventually score a decent hopper like an Invert Too, Invert Reloader, or maybe pony up some bills for an end-all be-all loader like a Rotor (v2 or v3), Empire Z2, or a Pboarded Pinokio.

Also, try to make your way up to a solid pod pack like an empire react pack. ANSgear sells REALLY NICE ones, brand new, from 2009 (I have the 2006 model and I'm still running strong with it as my ONLY pod pack LOL) for only $22 for the 5+8 pack. I like the giant 5+8 pack because even if you only use 2 pods, the pack will protect all of your lower back and sides and makes for some really nice full on back support.

Thinking of Buying Something, But Don't Know What?
Have A Look Inside for Some Help.

My Current Top TradeBait
BKAYBKEJHFJK FIRE SALE!
LNIB PE HDEs - CHEAP - Need em gone!
It's a ****ing graphite IZE Flex for sale! WOW.

ALT Bazaar
A new top secret project that isn't so secret. Brought to you by the creator of the Ultimate Purchasing Hierarchy and TBQF Technologies.

"Originally posted by Insane_Vendetta: "We used to be schizophrentic, but now we agree.""
"Originally posted by Somnambulistz: i'm not wearing any underwear! :D"

Last edited by YeloSno : 12-11-2011 at 09:45 PM.
YeloSno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:32 PM #16
xX_3NRIQU3_TX_Xx
CYCLOPS PAINTBALL

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeloSno
Try Empire Events and the JT Proflex.

They are, undoubtedly, the two best masks on the market...

At elast to me, and I've worn the i3s, i4s, profits, proflexes, flex7s, flex8s, proflex revolutions, vforce grills, vforce profilers, and some others that I forget.

Just whatever you do, make sure the proflex has 2 straps (by buying a second or something like that...) It will become infinitesimally more comfortable.

Other than that, look to eventually score a decent hopper like an Invert Too, Invert Reloader, or maybe pony up some bills for an end-all be-all loader like a Rotor (v2 or v3), Empire Z2, or a Pboarded Pinokio.

Also, try to make your way up to a solid pod pack like an empire react pack. ANSgear sells REALLY NICE ones, brand new, from 2009 (I have the 2006 model and I'm still running strong with it as my ONLY pod pack LOL) for only $22 for the 5+8 pack. I like the giant 5+8 pack because even if you only use 2 pods, the pack will protect all of your lower back and sides and makes for some really nice full on back support.
I got a 32 degrees pod harness holds 4 pods and extremely comfy lol
Old 12-11-2011, 11:17 PM #17
cab0053

a pair of good quality boots.
cab0053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:20 PM #18
YeloSno
Breadloser

Annual Supporting Member
YeloSno is Legendary
YeloSno supports Empire
why boots?

Ditched mine (and cleats) for a nice pair of Vibram FiveFingers KSO Trek. I go hiking, running, paintballing, whatevering, adventuring, and more whatevering... in them. And when you're done, toss in the wash and drier at a low/cold temperature. Good to go. Good to go.

My Current Top TradeBait
BKAYBKEJHFJK FIRE SALE!

ALT Bazaar
A new top secret project that isn't so secret. Brought to you by the creator of the Ultimate Purchasing Hierarchy and TBQF Technologies.

"Originally posted by Insane_Vendetta: "We used to be schizophrentic, but now we agree.""
Old 12-11-2011, 11:20 PM #19
YeloSno
Breadloser

Annual Supporting Member
YeloSno is Legendary
YeloSno supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by xX_3NRIQU3_TX_Xx View Post
I got a 32 degrees pod harness holds 4 pods and extremely comfy lol
right on, now work on the rest of the gear.

I apologize for yet another fail multi-quoting on my part.

My Current Top TradeBait
BKAYBKEJHFJK FIRE SALE!

ALT Bazaar

Old 12-12-2011, 12:00 AM #20
Milky Spore
i be illin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab0053 View Post
a pair of good quality boots.
you mean soccer or football cleats. i've only worn boots once when the field was flooded. i was trekking through part of our woods field which was under about 3 feet of water at one point. technically where the water was was not off limits so i decided to dive in and use the underwater bunker since it is (was) a killer bunker to have control of on our field. it worked and i shot 3 people and surrendered the rest.

in all my years of paintball that's the only time i've needed boots.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:43 AM #21
tung.cj

you might want to invest in some gloves...nothing fancy.
getting shot in the back of the hand is a *****
tung.cj is offline   Reply With Quote