Community Focus

Old 11-30-2011, 05:45 PM #1
NEPxWeezy
Deese Nutz

NEPxWeezy owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
NEPxWeezy plays in the APPA D4 division
NEPxWeezy supports DLX Technology
Clone vs Drone vs Droid? Is the clone worth it?

So I'm debating about my next gun.

Clone vx
Drone dx
Droid.

Is the clone worth the extra money?
Of the two "lower end" which is better?

Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 11-30-2011, 05:48 PM #2
tlmiller
Foul tempered old one

tlmiller is for the Gunfight
Droid isn't lower end. It's the precursor to the Clone. Aka Droid begat the Clone which begat the Clone VX.

DroneDX I'd take over a Droid at this point. The DX drive is I'd say superior to the original Droid engine.

VX is personal. Is having an OLED and a little better efficiency worth the extra money? For me if I could afford it I would say yes, since I'm color blind and can't program a LED board. However nothing wrong with the DX.

2014 Vapor FST

Copy and paste this into your signature if you use Linux.
tlmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:49 PM #3
NEPxWeezy
Deese Nutz

I was thinking maybe a dx with a clone OLED. How does the shot compare?
Old 11-30-2011, 09:48 PM #4
cslguy

@NEPxWeezy

Aaah so your looking into Macdev! After all the BL talk, haha but I have even started wanting a Clone!
cslguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:53 PM #5
tlmiller
Foul tempered old one

tlmiller is for the Gunfight
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEPxWeezy View Post
I was thinking maybe a dx with a clone OLED. How does the shot compare?
Extremely similar. The DX drive is based off the VX drive, just simplified to hit a much lower price point.

2014 Vapor FST

Copy and paste this into your signature if you use Linux.
tlmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:59 PM #6
dak22

dak22 is playing at Living Legends VII
One thing that slightly get's underappreciated is the the clone vx/drone dx backward compatability. With the exception of the drive train, most the dx's parts are interchangeable with the clone vx. This means you are likely to find parts for it in case something goes wrong or if you have both, you can temporarily switch the damaged part in case something goes wrong. Considering macdev's cs, it might be something you want to think about.
dak22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:24 PM #7
Jinx18
Dynamic

Jinx18 plays in the APPA D3 division
I would go Drone DX. Reasoning below...

I would rule out the Droid as it is not produced anymore and the newer Macdev guns are just so much more refined than the droid.

Then you have to decide between the Drone Dx and Clone VX. The Drone DX has the SAME EXACT regulator, feedneck, and asa. The gripframe while not identical (since the mounting holes are obviously different) is the same shape/feel so they will feel extremely similar. The major difference is with the Drone DX you get the Matchstick 2 piece barrel instead of the 3 piece shift barrel. Easy to change if you wanted but the Matchstick is still a good barrel. The Clone VX also has an OLED board. You can drop that right in the Drone DX if you want it. Other than that the Clone VX is slightly lighter (~100g), slightly more efficient (~200 shots or so), and shoots slightly quieter and smoother due to a more complex bolt system. A nice thing about the Drone DX though is the much simplified drivetrain.

Gearbag Sale!!!!!
Jinx18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:40 PM #8
NEPxWeezy
Deese Nutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslguy View Post
@NEPxWeezy

Aaah so your looking into Macdev! After all the BL talk, haha but I have even started wanting a Clone!
I have too many poppits! Still keeping my g6r and my closer though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx18 View Post
I would go Drone DX. Reasoning below...

I would rule out the Droid as it is not produced anymore and the newer Macdev guns are just so much more refined than the droid.

Then you have to decide between the Drone Dx and Clone VX. The Drone DX has the SAME EXACT regulator, feedneck, and asa. The gripframe while not identical (since the mounting holes are obviously different) is the same shape/feel so they will feel extremely similar. The major difference is with the Drone DX you get the Matchstick 2 piece barrel instead of the 3 piece shift barrel. Easy to change if you wanted but the Matchstick is still a good barrel. The Clone VX also has an OLED board. You can drop that right in the Drone DX if you want it. Other than that the Clone VX is slightly lighter (~100g), slightly more efficient (~200 shots or so), and shoots slightly quieter and smoother due to a more complex bolt system. A nice thing about the Drone DX though is the much simplified drivetrain.
Thanks, will definitely look into one of the two.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:39 AM #9
keyster320

First I would say look for an uppd droid for cheap because uppd droids shoot money. Drone DX drive looks extremely similar to a Regency Crome bolt assembly operating at 100 psi. From my understanding lower opp pressure means quieter and smoother. But if you are the kind of person that looks new things I'd go with the DX. The Clone is a phenomenal marker but if your not pro I would get the DX and stick an oled from the clone on it if you really want that display. Macdev guns are awesome I have shot them but have not personally own one but many say that they have great CS and live up to their good name. Gluck
Old 12-04-2011, 04:40 PM #10
Shru

drone dx is not exactly a quiet marker, I have owned one and it was louder than some egos that were around the field...
If the sound signature does not bother you than i would go with a used dx which i have seen around here in b/s/t for around 450.00 and than get on macdev site or contact boomer in the macdev forum and get the oled board and grips from him...
This is exactly what i did to be honest, i bought my drone dx for 415.00 shipped off of the b/s/t and than contacted boomer and got the grips and oled board...
Problem was is that i did not like the sound signature on it at all, it shot great, but it also sounded like every shot was making my barrel vibrate, and that bothered me enough to get rid of the marker itself....

The Drone DX is by far not a quiet marker, but other than that, it was a pretty nice one...
It really depends on how thick your pockets are...My old TS g6r markers shot just about as quiet as my spoolies, with the LP poppit in the g6r and the efficiency it gets, it is very hard to beat that marker....

I have owned a ton of different markers, currently my g3 se and fx are what i do own now, and am in the market for a nice deal for a g6r, still one of the best markers i have owned in the last 2 yrs..
Shru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:52 PM #11
NEPxWeezy
Deese Nutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shru View Post
drone dx is not exactly a quiet marker, I have owned one and it was louder than some egos that were around the field...
If the sound signature does not bother you than i would go with a used dx which i have seen around here in b/s/t for around 450.00 and than get on macdev site or contact boomer in the macdev forum and get the oled board and grips from him...
This is exactly what i did to be honest, i bought my drone dx for 415.00 shipped off of the b/s/t and than contacted boomer and got the grips and oled board...
Problem was is that i did not like the sound signature on it at all, it shot great, but it also sounded like every shot was making my barrel vibrate, and that bothered me enough to get rid of the marker itself....

The Drone DX is by far not a quiet marker, but other than that, it was a pretty nice one...
It really depends on how thick your pockets are...My old TS g6r markers shot just about as quiet as my spoolies, with the LP poppit in the g6r and the efficiency it gets, it is very hard to beat that marker....

I have owned a ton of different markers, currently my g3 se and fx are what i do own now, and am in the market for a nice deal for a g6r, still one of the best markers i have owned in the last 2 yrs..
I have a g6r. I loved my g3.
Probably just gonna grab a v2 clone
Old 12-04-2011, 04:59 PM #12
rkenders
Northern Colorado

I have operational questions about the macdev's. They are a spool valves obviously. Do they use a 2 way solenoid? I'm looking for the best efficiency possible, but without the complications of a poppet. So I am looking for a spoolie that uses balanced air pressure to drive the bolt back and forth via a 2 way solenoid. Marq's which are poppets drive the bolt back and forth via a 2 way solenoid. I don't want a poppet. I want a spoolie that runs like the Marq does but without the poppet valve. I keep coming back to the macdevs, but can't prove they are what I think they are.
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4070838
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4049998
rkenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:37 PM #13
Jinx18
Dynamic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkenders View Post
I have operational questions about the macdev's. They are a spool valves obviously. Do they use a 2 way solenoid? I'm looking for the best efficiency possible, but without the complications of a poppet. So I am looking for a spoolie that uses balanced air pressure to drive the bolt back and forth via a 2 way solenoid. Marq's which are poppets drive the bolt back and forth via a 2 way solenoid. I don't want a poppet. I want a spoolie that runs like the Marq does but without the poppet valve. I keep coming back to the macdevs, but can't prove they are what I think they are.
You want a Clone VX then. It is a balanced spool valve and gets pretty much the best efficiency out of any spool valve. (~1800 shots per 68/45 at 290fps)

Gearbag Sale!!!!!
Old 12-05-2011, 04:45 PM #14
Jinx18
Dynamic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shru View Post

That is not normal. What was your dwell set at? You know when you put the Clone VX Board in you have to go through all the settings and change them for the Drone DX as the default settings on the board are obviously for a Clone which is different than a Drone.

Gearbag Sale!!!!!
Old 12-05-2011, 07:01 PM #15
Unactive
SNOW WHERE ARE YOU!!!!

Unactive is playing at Living Legends V
Unactive owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Unactive is for the Gunfight
Personally I'd go with a demon over all the above.
Unactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:41 PM #16
swaggz mckenzie. (Banned)

hving owned many macdev guns from older borgs to tons of droids, and up to a clone vx, i'd say find a minty fresh droid with rx botomworks and throw a clone gold bolt and vp trigger on it. i've shot droids side-by-side with clone vx's. same velocity, same paint and they are pretty much identical (droid with clone gold bolt) clone may be a tad quieter but couldn't be noticed at all on the field (the barrel can also be a factor. the older macdev barrels are louder than the new shift barrel). they still are pretty much the same gun. i also prefeer the feel of the droid.
but i like the feel of a stacked tube so i finally went back to cyborgs. best balance of spool valve shot and poppit feel and reliability. even tho all my droids were tanks.

never owned a drone but it isn't anywhere near the same internally as the droid/clone
swaggz mckenzie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 05:12 AM #17
rkenders
Northern Colorado

Can anyone confirm they are getting 1400 shots from a full 68/4500 out of a Drone or 1700 from a Clone? Everything I have seen from Droids is that they get around 1000+, but NOT 1400+. What are your experiences? I'm going to get a Macdev...still not sure which one.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:28 AM #18
rkenders
Northern Colorado

Reposted from another thread since it should really be here...

The Droid is currently going for around $950(new), $350-$450(used and upped) and the Drone is going for $550(new). The Droid is a 2008 design while the Drone is a 2011 design. They both look good, but the Drone looks a little sleeker like Macdev milled a little more metal off the tube. The chameleon LED is in a different place and the Drone doesn't have a slide on/off switch like the Droids do. The Droid power switch always bothered me because it's exposed to infiltration by water and paint fill. I'm hoping that Macdev integrated the trigger switch onto the board in the Drone. A common complaint is the amount of wires and connectors in the Droid. Maybe the battery is a snug fit and no longer rattles inside the grip frame like on the Droid requiring a small wad of paper or foam jammed next to the battery. Hopefully they kept the laser eyes which are stock on the Droid. The bolt engine is a lot different. The Drone doesn't have the bolt index screw behind the feed neck like on the Droid. The bolt engine has fewer parts and looks less likely to break and has fewer o-rings. The Drone has a trigger like the Violent Series delrin trigger which is a very common upgrade done on the Droid. Many people complained about the stock Droid trigger. I agree, the hump in the middle of the trigger was a problem. A lot of people sanded down the Droid trigger to make it a smooth curve. Both guns according to Macdev shoot 1400 rounds off a 68/4500. However looking at actual efficiency tests the Droid tends to get closer to 1000+. I don't know if Macdev is exaggerating on the Drone. We'll see. I haven't seen any real efficiency tests on the Drone. I think that Macdev has taken the input of it's customer base to heart with the Drone and Clone and fixed the stuff that everyone disliked. If you can find a Droid in good condition with the VS trigger, v2 bolt engine and a gold bolt I suspect you can pick it up for a lot less than a new Drone. Personally I don't think there will be very much difference performance wise between the two except the original price tag. The Droids didn't come in many colors and I have never seen a dust black one which is my preferred color. It's easy getting accessories in dust black while matching colored anno's can be a real pain and more costly. Unless I find the right Droid, I will likely pick up a Drone instead. I've never seen a Clone so I have no idea about it, but to me the price difference is pretty steep for an OLED and 300 more shots. Perhaps putting a Clone OLED board in the Drone will be close enough.

I'm a spoolie fan personally and want the Drone to be a really great gun. It would be spectacular if it actually got 1400 rounds on a 68/4500! So far what I have seen it is very smooth, with little to no recoil and very efficient for a spool valve. The DX bolt engine is very simple compared to the Droid and not much more complex that other spoolies. The more I look into the Drone DX, the more I think I will choose it over the Droid.

Stuff I want to know about the Drone:
1. Actual typical shots off a full 68/4500
2. Smoothness or recoil compared to the Droid.
3. Common gripes and problems with the Drone.