PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-02-2011, 08:06 PM #1
Mr.Familiar
We're all the same

Experience with an MBA?

So I have decided that I want to pursue a Master of Business Administration. I have limited business background, but I did get rookie of the year in one of the student painting company internships if you have heard of that, with some management experience. I am confident that I will get into the program, but to be honest, I am scared. I graduate this quarter and the last 3 months have been hell for me. I'm just not sure I can handle 2 years of putting in 70/80 hrs a week. I don't know.

So I'm asking; have you, or someone close to you gone through a vigorous MBA program? What are there thoughts, experiences and advice?

Poor man, living a rich life
"Lay your facts by the side of every-day practices of this nation and you will say with me that, for revolting barbarity and shameless hypocrisy, America reigns without a rival." -Frederick Douglass
Mr.Familiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-06-2011, 07:19 PM #2
Mr.Familiar
We're all the same

Nothing?

"Lay your facts by the side of every-day practices of this nation and you will say with me that, for revolting barbarity and shameless hypocrisy, America reigns without a rival." -Frederick Douglass
Old 12-06-2011, 08:58 PM #3
l\/l.E.T.#.0.D.

has been a member for 10 years
I have worked with a several people that had an MBA. Most of them did it while holding a full time professional job. I wouldn't expect to be putting in 70/80 hours a week unless you're working full time. I've also been told that getting an MBA is a good way to move up in a company, but not a great way to start in a company because MBAs are pretty common so you need a wider skill set to be valuable. Just my experience.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:13 PM #4
Captain A v2.0
Whatevs

Annual Supporting Member
Captain A v2.0 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Captain A v2.0 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Familiar View Post
I have limited business background, but I did get rookie of the year in one of the student painting company internships if you have heard of that, with some management experience.
I don't mean to be blunt or rude, but you're going to need a lot more experience than just that. It's often suggested that you need several years of actual business experience before you think about an MBA.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:49 PM #5
Mr.Familiar
We're all the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain A v2.0 View Post
I don't mean to be blunt or rude, but you're going to need a lot more experience than just that. It's often suggested that you need several years of actual business experience before you think about an MBA.
I've been to the programs info session and spoken to the program directors and that is not always the case. They advertise the program throughout the campus for graduating seniors as well as I've seen statistics analyzing that something like 40-50% of MBA grad students are right out of their undergrad.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:04 PM #6
mnp8nt
There is only Zuul

Annual Supporting Member
mnp8nt is playing at Living Legends III
mnp8nt owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
mnp8nt supports Team VICIOUS
mnp8nt is an NCPA player
mnp8nt is Legendary
mnp8nt is attending Decay of Nations VII
Quote:
Many of the less 'prestigious' schools dont require work expierence.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:35 AM #7
Mancolt

Mancolt owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Quote:
I agree with this. I have heard numerous business professionals say that many recent college grads are pricing themselves out of jobs. If you get an MBA right after your undergrad, you're going to expect an MBA level salary. But unless you get that MBA from HBS, Wharton, or Booth, most companies probably won't see you as being worth what that piece of paper generally commands. You however have invested a lot of time and money into that paper and feel that you are worth it. So you're at a crossroads...either you hold out until someone makes the mistake of paying you MBA level money, or you settle for somewhere in between undergrad and MBA money...either way, it's less than ideal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Familiar View Post
I've been to the programs info session and spoken to the program directors and that is not always the case. They advertise the program throughout the campus for graduating seniors as well as I've seen statistics analyzing that something like 40-50% of MBA grad students are right out of their undergrad.
You're definitely not ready for business school if you think this. You've obviously failed to realize that colleges are businesses and would willingly take your money. In fact, some schools are so willing to take your money that they don't even have GMAT or comparable test requirements. Rather than looking at a stat that says 40-50% of MBA students entered straight from undergrad, why don't you look at the average starting salaries post-MBA of people with prior work experience and those entering directly from undergrad. Also look at how long each group on average took to find a job, and what percentage of each group still haven't found jobs 1 month out, 3 months out, 6 months out, etc. I bet you'll find the group with prior work experience does significantly better in all of those regards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnp8nt View Post
Many of the less 'prestigious' schools dont require work expierence.
True, but why wouldn't you want to try to go to a good/prestigious school? Being in the workforce now, I can tell you that I give absolutely 0 value to MBA's from **** schools. Some schools that offer MBA's shouldn't be allowed to call them MBA's. I think you'd be better off saving the tuition money and just working your way up in a company than getting an MBA from some of these schools...

These are my opinions based on my observations and experiences. I had briefly considered going straight for my MBA after I finished undergrad, but after further research decided that it would be much better to get 3-5 years of experience under my belt.

http://www.standardizedtests.org/con...-applicants-us
*the lowest average age on that list that I spotted in a quick scan was 25, and the average average age was probably 28. Most of the top-ranked schools looked to have average ages in the 27-29 range.

I think alot of times people rush to get graduate degrees, particularly MBA's, because they don't like the job offers they've gotten out of college (if any) or they just want to put off real life for awhile longer. If you haven't been able to find any job, and are able to get into a half-decent MBA school, then that may be a valid option.

Just 2 final questions for the OP: Is the MBA you're considering from the same school that you got your undergrad degree? What is your undergraduate degree?
Mancolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:02 PM #8
ShUtUp
Fear the Cat!

I have decided to go ahead with my MBA right after my undergrad. Mainly because I got a scholarship to a Top 25 school. I don't recall the actual rank, but its fairly good, and I get a stipend of $750 a month in addition to everything else paid for.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:18 PM #9
Maytherman
Appropriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancolt View Post
I agree with this. I have heard numerous business professionals say that many recent college grads are pricing themselves out of jobs. If you get an MBA right after your undergrad, you're going to expect an MBA level salary. But unless you get that MBA from HBS, Wharton, or Booth, most companies probably won't see you as being worth what that piece of paper generally commands. You however have invested a lot of time and money into that paper and feel that you are worth it. So you're at a crossroads...either you hold out until someone makes the mistake of paying you MBA level money, or you settle for somewhere in between undergrad and MBA money...either way, it's less than ideal.

You're definitely not ready for business school if you think this. You've obviously failed to realize that colleges are businesses and would willingly take your money. In fact, some schools are so willing to take your money that they don't even have GMAT or comparable test requirements. Rather than looking at a stat that says 40-50% of MBA students entered straight from undergrad, why don't you look at the average starting salaries post-MBA of people with prior work experience and those entering directly from undergrad. Also look at how long each group on average took to find a job, and what percentage of each group still haven't found jobs 1 month out, 3 months out, 6 months out, etc. I bet you'll find the group with prior work experience does significantly better in all of those regards.

True, but why wouldn't you want to try to go to a good/prestigious school? Being in the workforce now, I can tell you that I give absolutely 0 value to MBA's from **** schools. Some schools that offer MBA's shouldn't be allowed to call them MBA's. I think you'd be better off saving the tuition money and just working your way up in a company than getting an MBA from some of these schools...

These are my opinions based on my observations and experiences. I had briefly considered going straight for my MBA after I finished undergrad, but after further research decided that it would be much better to get 3-5 years of experience under my belt.

http://www.standardizedtests.org/con...-applicants-us
*the lowest average age on that list that I spotted in a quick scan was 25, and the average average age was probably 28. Most of the top-ranked schools looked to have average ages in the 27-29 range.

I think alot of times people rush to get graduate degrees, particularly MBA's, because they don't like the job offers they've gotten out of college (if any) or they just want to put off real life for awhile longer. If you haven't been able to find any job, and are able to get into a half-decent MBA school, then that may be a valid option.

Just 2 final questions for the OP: Is the MBA you're considering from the same school that you got your undergrad degree? What is your undergraduate degree?
You bring up some good points in your post, as well as some very irrelevant ones.

To answer your questions; The program I have my eyes on is at the same school that I am currently attending for my undergrad. According to some ranking survey bull**** that my school advertises, the program here was ranked 75th in the world. I do not have the resources to go out of state for school; plus I enjoy the city I am in now. My undergrad degree is in Recreation Therapy. I want to combine my undergrad with my MBA later down the road. The reasons I want to pursue an MBA are many, but the main are:
-Gain leadership knowledge and skills to use as a tool in the work force.
-I want to run my own business, maybe do a start up. I am interested in non-profit work as well as entrepreneurialship. An MBA is an investment. I realize I can do these without the two years of academics. But I am looking for and pursuing optimal life experience worth.
-I'm not going to lie. I want to be done with school. I am debating whether or not to take a year off of school and shenanigant around the world for a bit since the economy is ****. But at the same time, I don't want to waste all that time when I could be that much closer to finishing school.
-I do also want a high/er paying income and more/different job opportunities. I believe that an MBA will help with this. If it even takes a few years of job searching and experience after I attain the degree, then so be it. I've been relatively poor all my life, what's a few more years?

I have a question for you.

You say that you had 3-5 years of work experience under your belt; what did you come to realize/learn during those years that you found useful or necessary to achieve your MBA?
Maytherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:15 PM #10
Bon'Qui'Qui
Forum BOSS

I'm a business student and plan on doing the 5 year MBA program.
Bon'Qui'Qui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:30 PM #11
berry_wendel
I WILL RULE YOU!!!

berry_wendel is playing at Living Legends III
berry_wendel owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
berry_wendel supports Team VICIOUS
berry_wendel is reppin' sidebar 4 life
I am against getting an MBA right after undergrad. What does an undergrad bring to an MBA program? There's a reason why the top MBA programs want experienced professionals. Too many young adults feel that getting an MBA is the key to getting a high paying job, but all they have is a degree at the end without anything to back it up. The degree is being devalued just like undergrad degrees. It matters where you go and for what program.
berry_wendel is offline   Reply With Quote