Annual Supporting Member
p8ntcheck45 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
p8ntcheck45 is a Professional paintball player
p8ntcheck45 is a Paintball photographer
p8ntcheck45 works for a Paintball manufacturer
Roller shots are rad, spider looks sweet,

Fain funny seeing that guy grow up haha

Erik, story behind that shot? Freakin AWESOME.
p8ntcheck45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-16-2011, 12:14 AM #65
XxHeadShotzxX

XxHeadShotzxX donated to help Peyton Trent
XxHeadShotzxX is playing at Living Legends III
XxHeadShotzxX posts videos on PbNation
Critique and Comment Please

First couple practice shots............critique and comment, thanks...........

XxHeadShotzxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:00 PM #66
therealmr
\\\\\ i go on walks /////

therealmr is a Moderator
therealmr is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by p8ntcheck45 View Post
Erik, story behind that shot? Freakin AWESOME.
Zee national VW Commercial for their new line was shot in Seattle this year and I helped out as a minion.

I want to be remembered for the
people I helped make memorable;
personal success is overrated if it
doesn't help everyone's progress.
therealmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:31 PM #67
Cmizzle
Full Time Tape Head

Cliche hassy shot
Cmizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:38 PM #68
pbjunkiee
Go big or go home

Hip.

st:p hk trollfest 8-29-11
pbjunkiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:40 PM #69
Cmizzle
Full Time Tape Head

Assignment was shooting through something....so i am
Old 11-18-2011, 06:38 PM #70
XxHeadShotzxX

The edge of the lens is blown out.......
Old 11-18-2011, 06:51 PM #71
Cmizzle
Full Time Tape Head

Awesome?
Old 11-18-2011, 10:40 PM #72
XxHeadShotzxX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmizzle View Post
Awesome?
When something is blown out, thats not good (edit the area). What program are you using to edit? I would like to have seen the whole camera, equally all around and it perfectly perpendicular if you want to get picky. I undertsand you wanted to blur the background but I think you focused more on that then the photo and the lense numbers are still somewhat blurred a tiny bit. I would want to see a cripser shot too. What ISO were you shooting at?
Old 11-18-2011, 10:45 PM #73
pbjunkiee
Go big or go home

st:p hk trollfest 8-29-11
pbjunkiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:17 AM #74
PbLoSeR05
CodyB

PbLoSeR05 is a Paintball photographer
PbLoSeR05 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
PbLoSeR05 is Legendary
He HAS to be a troll..

Houston Heat
PhotoMOB
PbLoSeR05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:21 AM #75
XxHeadShotzxX

No I am not, maybe you want to go on another photgraphy forum and see the critques given. Maybe you should post it here: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...splay.php?f=12

And see how they rip apart photos........honesty is the best policy and everyone is entitled to their opinions.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:23 AM #76
fainerbainer
CK

fainerbainer has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
fainerbainer has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
fainerbainer has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxHeadShotzxX View Post
When something is blown out, thats not good (edit the area). What program are you using to edit? I would like to have seen the whole camera, equally all around and it perfectly perpendicular if you want to get picky. I undertsand you wanted to blur the background but I think you focused more on that then the photo and the lense numbers are still somewhat blurred a tiny bit. I would want to see a cripser shot too. What ISO were you shooting at?
you do know that to do that he'd have to take multiple exposures right? His subject is in the SHADOWS. So unless he put up some studio lighting to take care of the shadows then he's going to get what he got. I highly doubt he wanted to blend multiple exposures or to set up a strobe.

It's not even perpendicular to begin with. Also, I don't think perp. works with this subject as light would pour into the viewfinder of the hassy.

If your subject is in the shadows and you don't have strobes/speedlights to fill it in with the rest of the light then let the image blow out in insignificant parts (at least that's my rule). You're way too concerned about it IMO.
fainerbainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:38 AM #77
XxHeadShotzxX

I just dont like the shot, the rule of thumb is 1/3's, humans like to see that in photos. Like I said earlier I would like to have seen the whole camera.

And he could of created a shadow with the sun on the center of the lense instead of having it blown out on the side and edited the subject with some fill light, exposure...etc. I like the idea though, and at the same extent couldnt have he created some fill light to counteract that shadow with an upgraded flash on the camera and not need studio lighting. I guess in this scenario its all trial and error.

But I am not correct at all times and make msitakes myself. But I am always willing to hear other peoples opinions which some people seem to immature to brainstorm and talk so I can learn more myself. (that last comment isn't directed at you Fainerbainer)
Old 11-19-2011, 02:24 AM #78
fainerbainer
CK

fainerbainer has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
fainerbainer has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
fainerbainer has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I get it. And I'm brainstorming on how he could make the photo better. You do know that a speedlight mounted onto the camera shooting down wouldn't have helped that much right? If anything it would have made the image more flat.

A lot of us in here are to the point in photography to where we can basically take a pretty good guess on what the camera settings were (lens, FL, aperture) just by the details of the photo.

Given what the photo is there's not much he could have done to make it better without having off camera flash. And I'm not sure why he would want to. Sometimes photos are better with blown out sections (shooting shadow side) and I do it quite often. I think you are to the point where you have "rules" in your head and haven't got to the point where rules are only a guideline. I say that because you mention "nothing should be blown out" and the "1/3 rule" and that humans like it better.

Actually, I like any image that conveys what they are doing in a story type way. There are plenty of times when a centered composition works. I think it works there. The 1/3 rule is pleasing but not necessary. The "no blown parts" is a good start but I find that I like blown parts in my images (check out my galleries, mostly in outdoor situations) and it's going to happen if you are shooting 1.4 unless like 30min before sundown at lowest ISO.
fainerbainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 02:26 AM #79
PaintedSaint
lsdpsilocybinmarijuanadmt

more on blog
blog.
PaintedSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:16 AM #80
danbob1088
succisa virescit

danbob1088 is a Paintball photographer
danbob1088 is an NCPA player
danbob1088 plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by fainerbainer View Post
I get it. And I'm brainstorming on how he could make the photo better. You do know that a speedlight mounted onto the camera shooting down wouldn't have helped that much right? If anything it would have made the image more flat.

A lot of us in here are to the point in photography to where we can basically take a pretty good guess on what the camera settings were (lens, FL, aperture) just by the details of the photo.

Given what the photo is there's not much he could have done to make it better without having off camera flash. And I'm not sure why he would want to. Sometimes photos are better with blown out sections (shooting shadow side) and I do it quite often. I think you are to the point where you have "rules" in your head and haven't got to the point where rules are only a guideline. I say that because you mention "nothing should be blown out" and the "1/3 rule" and that humans like it better.

Actually, I like any image that conveys what they are doing in a story type way. There are plenty of times when a centered composition works. I think it works there. The 1/3 rule is pleasing but not necessary. The "no blown parts" is a good start but I find that I like blown parts in my images (check out my galleries, mostly in outdoor situations) and it's going to happen if you are shooting 1.4 unless like 30min before sundown at lowest ISO.
The "rule" of thirds is a guideline only. I agree with you; if you hunt to try to make every photo meet this "requirement", you'll miss out an a lot of damn good photos.

Saint, nice shot dude.

flickr
danbob1088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:02 AM #81
XxHeadShotzxX

Quote:
Originally Posted by fainerbainer View Post

Old 11-19-2011, 01:58 PM #82
Cmizzle
Full Time Tape Head

I'm just laughing at all of the comments over a snapshot of a hasselblad. Every picture you take doesn't have to obey the "rules" of photography. Its just a rule, **** rules. If i shot that with the rule of thirds it would look terrible, the dead space would over take the entire photo.

As fain said its blown out because it kinda has to be blown out. I'm not about to set up studio lights and stands in a field just so I could properly expose the tiny area on the lens. Yes I could of make a HDR of it, yes I could of PP'd the **** ouf of it, yes I could of move the camera before I took it. But guess what? I didn't. Its simply a snapshot. You've completely over analyzed the picture. You've pointed out the minor "flaws" in it. I dont give a rats *** about the blown out part or the centered picture. I shot it like that because that's how I wanted it.

I understand that everyones a critic, regardless of your skill level or knowledge of the topic you're critiquing. But rules are ment to be broken. They're simply guidelines to help out people. How boring would it be if everyones shot followed the same rules? It would be an eye sore.

Last edited by Cmizzle : 11-19-2011 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:58 PM #83
Trevor Rules
I like things.

Been really busy lately, only have done a few self portraits and random misc items around my house. I have nothing cool to offer.

Trevor Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:49 PM #84
PaintedSaint
lsdpsilocybinmarijuanadmt

Quote:
snip
Quote:
snip
Though pretty much all of your statements are correct, they are correct in a world with no style and where everyone processes/develops by the book.

Sure, knowing the rule of thirds, focus planes of the lens, and the zone system are all pretty much concrete theories they are not the end all be all rules to photography. Any deviation from the rules I see as style, that is why you have to learn the rules first before you break them.

As for the blown out deal, read up on the zone system, that might enlighten you as to why some areas of a photo are lost to shadows or highlights, its not just because of exposure but also due to the latitude that film has in terms of stops of exposure.
blog.
PaintedSaint is offline   Reply With Quote