PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-17-2011, 09:50 PM #1
Our_Lord_&_Savior
I hate Darwin

Distemper?

Looking for some veterinary advice, hopefully form somebody that specializes in the field

So I have a 3 year old yellow lab/whippet, and I got her from the pound when she was between 8 months- 1 year old, the pound wasn't sure. And they told me that she had distemper as a puppy and she obviously survived. I guess she had almost zero enamle left on her teeth, and guess that is a sure-tell sign of distemper.

So I'm asking what are some common signs of a dog that has survived from distemper? I just read on wikipedia that the neurological damage is that she can have tics (almost like tourrettes), and she does yawn very often, almost like once every couple of minutes.

Sorry for the book, but also can she ever get distemper again? and anymore information would be great.

thanks

"And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon."
Our_Lord_&_Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-18-2011, 01:10 PM #2
ripdisc

ripdisc supports Cereal Killerz 2
ripdisc helped look for balloons
ripdisc is playing at Living Legends VII
ripdisc owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
there are vaccines to prevent distemper usually you get at the same time as the parvo vaccine. I will ask (i live with a vet) about the signs of distemper for you.

edit: she said the enamel being worse on the teeth is the normal show that a dog had distemper. they also get thicker paw pads and sometimes thick spots on their nose. i guess its sometimes called something like thick pad disease or something i cant remember exactly what she said...

she said yawning is usually more of a stress thing in dogs (They yawn when stressed to try to reduce it), but said it could be some sort of tic. she wasnt sure on it and didnt know without researching if they can get distemper again. she doesnt see it much since it is easy to vaccinate against.
hope that helps a little.

The Ripdisc Collection

Last edited by ripdisc : 11-18-2011 at 03:26 PM.
ripdisc is offline   Reply With Quote