Community Focus

Old 11-14-2011, 09:07 AM #1
T1tanrush
Team Green

T1tanrush helped look for balloons
T1tanrush owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
T1tanrush supports Team VICIOUS
Husky puppy, and some advice needed.

I'm looking for advice regarding my new husky puppy I picked up last night. I'm very experienced with dogs, however I haven't worked with one who's been like this yet.

First- he's terrified of people, all people. He'll sit next to me and sleep but every time I go to pet him, he becomes very afraid, he cringes, sometimes runs away completely etc. He is willing to interact with me for treats, and will, over about an hour of me sitting there- calm down.

He also does not understand a leash, he won't walk with one, he instead bites it half to death. He also realizes my hand holds the leash, and will bark at my hand, and try to bite it. His collar is not on too tight so nothing like that is the issue. This makes it nearly impossible to potty train him right now- since he won't walk with the leash. I have to pick him up and carry him outside (after catching him, and dodging getting bit), and hope he decides he wants to go.

He eats great, adorable puppy, but for the first 5 months of his life he's had 0 socialization and 0 training at all. =/ I'm about to start treating him like the wolves I work with.
My tea's gone cold I'm wondering why I.. got out of bed at all The morning rain clouds up my window.. and I can't see at all And even if I could it'd all be gray, but your picture on my wall It reminds me, that it's not so bad, it's not so bad.
T1tanrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-14-2011, 09:13 AM #2
Ninja Mouse
Team Aircraft Carrier

Was he abused or something? Huskys are tough to train because they have a very high alpha mentality and you have to show you're the boss on a regular basis when they are pups, however huskys are quite famous for how friendly they are.

"Originally posted by PballPlayer™: I came home on my break to find this. I'm never going to say anything bad about the Saints again. Ninja is a god. It was bigger than I expected (twss) so I'm sure it was pricey, thanks Ninja, you are too kind."
Sauce
Ninja Mouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:19 AM #3
T1tanrush
Team Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Mouse View Post
Was he abused or something? Huskys are tough to train because they have a very high alpha mentality and you have to show you're the boss on a regular basis when they are pups, however huskys are quite famous for how friendly they are.
She only had him a month or so and gave up, she literally brought him home, and let him do whatever for a month until she gave up and gave him to me. He had a doggy door at her place, but still would pee inside and whatnot. She doesn't seem like an abusive type, but I'm wondering if the breeder was abusive to either him, or dogs around him. I'm not sure.

I've made sure to be asserting dominance plenty with him, sometimes when he snaps at me, I grab his mouth and tell him no. With how skittish he is, I'm not sure about forcing him to the ground like I do other dogs/wolf pups.
My tea's gone cold I'm wondering why I.. got out of bed at all The morning rain clouds up my window.. and I can't see at all And even if I could it'd all be gray, but your picture on my wall It reminds me, that it's not so bad, it's not so bad.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:27 AM #4
vs.not allowed

vs.not allowed supports Cereal Killerz 2
vs.not allowed donated to help Peyton Trent
I got a husky that was 4 months old at the human society that was beat. He did the same thing, he was afraid of everyone in my family but myself. It took him a few months to get comfortable enough to let the rest of my family pet him. Whit the leash problem, just keep on trying and show him your in charge.
vs.not allowed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:37 AM #5
T1tanrush
Team Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by vs.not allowed View Post
I got a husky that was 4 months old at the human society that was beat. He did the same thing, he was afraid of everyone in my family but myself. It took him a few months to get comfortable enough to let the rest of my family pet him. Whit the leash problem, just keep on trying and show him your in charge.
That is what I'm fearing as well, that he was beat. I'm planning on contacting the breeder since I have his information on the registration sheets certifying him as a purebreed.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:01 AM #6
Ninja Mouse
Team Aircraft Carrier

From the sound of things I'd say he was beaten. I have a husky and while she was a pain in the *** to train as a pup, she was always super friendly and would whine loudly if people were over and she wasn't allowed inside.

"Originally posted by PballPlayer™: I came home on my break to find this. I'm never going to say anything bad about the Saints again. Ninja is a god. It was bigger than I expected (twss) so I'm sure it was pricey, thanks Ninja, you are too kind."
Sauce
Ninja Mouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:02 AM #7
T1tanrush
Team Green

He's warmed up, started showing dominance issues- he's bit my fiance a couple times now, and not playfully. Trying to find him a good home now, cant risk it.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:18 PM #8
x305rage305x

x305rage305x plays in the PSP
x305rage305x owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
giving the dog up again isnt helping its issues. shouldnt have taken it if you are so easily willing to give up. i have two huskies, one being just like yours, so dont start saying ****.
x305rage305x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:26 PM #9
T1tanrush
Team Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by x305rage305x View Post
giving the dog up again isnt helping its issues. shouldnt have taken it if you are so easily willing to give up. i have two huskies, one being just like yours, so dont start saying ****.
Skittishness can be worked on, and that's fine, I had no problem with that. HOWEVER. I did not sign up for dominance issues- on the count that my fiance has ZERO experience with dogs, she was not able to show dominance, she ended up terrified of him because of how hard he would bite her.

Sorry but she comes first, not the dog, again, I was fine with skittish, but if I have to worry about him biting my fiance every time I leave the room, then I'm not up for it, neither was she.

Don't judge me kid, the dogs/animals I work with on a regular basis would tear you (and both your huskies) apart.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:33 PM #10
DayoftheGreek
I hate you

has been a member for 10 years
And so begins the pissing contest.

Hopefully it's not as fake as your ghost stories.

1/30/08: I was there when the plane flew but everyone was still stupid.
DayoftheGreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:04 PM #11
x305rage305x

x305rage305x plays in the PSP
x305rage305x owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
why cant the dominance be worked on? You obviously just don't know how to own a dog.
x305rage305x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:23 PM #12
T1tanrush
Team Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by x305rage305x View Post
why cant the dominance be worked on? You obviously just don't know how to own a dog.
My fiance was to terrified to work with him. She outright refused after being bit so much. It's a lot for a first time dog owner to over come especially when I'm gone all day. I had 2 dogs of my own before I moved. I work with multiple rescues and 2 wolf rescues. If you think your understanding of dogs is anywhere near mine you are delusional.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:32 PM #13
ripdisc

ripdisc supports Cereal Killerz 2
ripdisc helped look for balloons
ripdisc is playing at Living Legends VII
ripdisc owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
thats hard..i have a huge dog and she is very dominant. as a pup she would bite hard and she was already huge but with sharp puppy teeth. she would never bite anyone now unless they were trying to hurt myself or my girl. if you decide to get rid of her make sure and be honest with whoever you give her to for the dogs best interest. would be a shame for someone else to get her unknowingly and put her down. someone will be able to work with her.

The Ripdisc Collection
ripdisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:19 AM #14
Pr1m0
Givin' um the Switch

Annual Supporting Member
Pr1m0 plays in the PSP
Pr1m0 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Pr1m0 supports DLX Technology
As a husky owner I completely understand where you are coming from. My female is husky/wolf and she is a ***** at times, specially when she was a puppy. She was always scared of basically anything that moved and was bigger than her. That lasted until she was almost 7 months. Shes just over a year now and she is much better. We HAVE to run her every day or she just ends up with too much built up energy. The wolf in her always comes out. You need to own the dog. My pitt learned ALOT faster than my husky did it just takes time. They have a natural stubbornness as well that you just have to deal with. If you have any questions feel free to hit me up!

-josh

Has Anyone Seen My Nods?
Probably the only Active SF guy still competing in Paintball -__-
Pr1m0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:34 PM #15
Rob66
youtube.com/shootinstuff

Rob66 posts videos on PbNation
Rob66 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Rob66 is Legendary
Rob66 supports Empire
for the leash problem, i think all puppies bite it, or at least mine did, but she grew out of it
Rob66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:11 PM #16
cook. (Banned)
OC_RAGE

stick to snakes
cook. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:22 PM #17
jener8tionx

Quote:
Originally Posted by cook. View Post
stick to snakes
or Fish
jener8tionx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 01:26 AM #18
T1tanrush
Team Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by cook. View Post
stick to snakes
I find that humorous, considering the only issue was the fact my fiance was too terrified of the dog to work with him. We narrowed it down to a breed/specific animal issue. Not getting a new dog anytime soon, but when we do - we plan to start either with a young puppy without issues, or an older dog, so she can learn without having to learn with a problem dog she is scared of.

Also, I do not currently own any snakes. I do; however, own a 4.5 foot nile monitor. Keeping and understanding something like that is far more advanced than a dog.

Stop trolling no one likes you.