Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-01-2011, 03:44 PM #1
JSCP

Remote Control Paintball Vehicles

I know there are other threads on this topic, but I just have a few questions about it. I like the idea and just want to see what some of the resident paintball gurus on here have to say. Here are some of my questions:

#1 Would we paintball players actually want to use one and how would we use it?

#2 How much would we be willing to pay to use it at a field in addition to your normal fees?

#3 Would a RC car with paint bombs like an RCXD from Black Ops be something we would want to have? Vehicles with paint grenade launcher?

#4 If you could design your dream RC Paintball vehicle, what features would you want to have?
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-01-2011, 05:00 PM #2
DasWolfenstein

Specialized gear in the scenario.
DasWolfenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:16 PM #3
AcidicSquirrel

how bout just a simple gun and use a rc airplane servo to pull the trigger, idk how much it'd cost but if airsoft players get mini rc tanks why can't we have a remote controlled vehicle too
Old 11-02-2011, 02:00 PM #4
DEAk0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidicSquirrel View Post
how bout just a simple gun and use a rc airplane servo to pull the trigger, idk how much it'd cost but if airsoft players get mini rc tanks why can't we have a remote controlled vehicle too
Why does everyone use a servo to do this? Even an inexpensive electro, like an Ion could easily have it's microswitch removed and servo leads attached. Use a 2-position channel, like for landing gear or flaps(of course remembering to use either 2.4Ghz or another ground approved frequency) to trigger it.

I'm still working on a paintball turret for scenario use. Granted, I'm not using R/C for communication(XBee connecting my laptop to the Arduino controler), but I am using servos and stepper motors for aiming. But, the Ions that I modded have servo leads soldered where their microswitches were.

Write a program so simple that even an idiot can use it, and only idiots will use it.
DEAk0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:37 PM #5
RojPup

For that kind of money, I'd sooner buy a used golf cart, put big turf tires on it (or whatever tires you'd need for your terrain) and spend an afternoon building a real tank. I could easily see myself spending the same amount on both.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:32 PM #6
crippy02
Dat Coonass

crippy02 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
crippy02 is for the Gunfight
crippy02 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
crippy02 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
crippy02 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by RojPup View Post
For that kind of money, I'd sooner buy a used golf cart, put big turf tires on it (or whatever tires you'd need for your terrain) and spend an afternoon building a real tank. I could easily see myself spending the same amount on both.
^^ THIS FTW

You air up the marker, put on the gloves, strap on the mask, and walk onto the field.. it doesn't matter that you failed a test, that your girlfriend broke up with you last night, or that you got a ticket on the way there... your world is right for the next couple hours, this is your heaven on earth.. live it.. love it.. Paintball

CK MAFIA
crippy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:26 PM #7
R3M1NGTON

R3M1NGTON is playing at Living Legends V
R3M1NGTON owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Hey DEAk0n. There are a number of reasons why people use servos. Price, simplicity, leave the original gun in tact. Plus people tent to think of automating the action that is already going on (mechanically pulling the trigger), instead of electrically tying into the system.

What you mentioned sounds like a pretty slick idea. I love the simplicity of it. I am curious if it really works. Have you setup/tested any guns with this concept?

From what I understand the servos get power and a PWM signal through the leads. You have a pos, neg, and signal wire. The + and - supply 5 volts, and the signal wire pulses from 0 to 5 v at different timings to control the position of the servo. I don't really understand how connecting this to a electronic marker's trigger switch will close the circuit. It just seams like it may pump an extra 5v into the system in series and fry some things.

I have seen some PWM switches, but they have their own micro controller, transistor etc.

Anyway, what you mentioned could be a simple way to do this. I am just wondering if you could let us know if you have tested it on your ION?

Also to you other guys talking about price. I agree the things get expensive. That auto sentry turret I have seen online is easily approaching $1000 once you get the turret, servos, software etc. Just add the price of an RC car, wireless cams, and everything else on top of that and you starting getting out of what most people would spend on something like this.

To answer one of your questions JSCP, I think it definitely needs to be below $1000. Maybe $500 would be good. I don't really know how much people would pay to rent one at a field or scenario event, $20-$30 maybe?
R3M1NGTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:17 PM #8
JSCP

Thanks, R3emington. You at least answered one question haha.I think we can have an RC car like the air soft guys. I think it would be cool if we had something like an "RCXD" car at our fields(if you dont know what an RCXD car is, play COD:Black Ops). I am sure there are smarter people than me who could build one and actually make it work. Just think, your taking up a position, ready to fire at your opponent when all of sudden, you get pummeled by an RC Car. And just think of the possibilities in scenario play....
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:50 AM #9
Soul06
The Last Thing You'll See

has been a member for 10 years
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Soul06 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSCP View Post
I know there are other threads on this topic, but I just have a few questions about it. I like the idea and just want to see what some of the resident paintball gurus on here have to say. Here are some of my questions:

#1 Would we paintball players actually want to use one and how would we use it?

#2 How much would we be willing to pay to use it at a field in addition to your normal fees?

#3 Would a RC car with paint bombs like an RCXD from Black Ops be something we would want to have? Vehicles with paint grenade launcher?

#4 If you could design your dream RC Paintball vehicle, what features would you want to have?

I personally don't like the idea. Im not comfortable with knowing you are allowed to eliminate me but I can't eliminate you. Makes kind of an unfair and unbalanced game in my opinion. Like if I see your RC car and shoot it are you out now? If not then what you are telling me is that my only option is to run? I'm not with that.
I understand the idea is from COD Black Ops but remember paintball is not war. Its still, even in woodsball rec play, a game where opposing players are given equal opportunity to eliminate each other.

This is just my opinion

Custom Ano'd Prestige CSL w/ Dart Kit - Midnight Superblue LV1
Obnoxious, NY - High Velocity, NY - Liberty, NY - Cousins, NY - Top Gun, NJ
On Target, NJ - Accurate, NJ - Skirmish, PA - CPX Sports, IL - Paintball Explosion, IL - P&L, MA - Pev's, VA

Soul06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:36 PM #10
DEAk0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3M1NGTON View Post
Hey DEAk0n. There are a number of reasons why people use servos. Price, simplicity, leave the original gun in tact. Plus people tent to think of automating the action that is already going on (mechanically pulling the trigger), instead of electrically tying into the system.

What you mentioned sounds like a pretty slick idea. I love the simplicity of it. I am curious if it really works. Have you setup/tested any guns with this concept?

From what I understand the servos get power and a PWM signal through the leads. You have a pos, neg, and signal wire. The + and - supply 5 volts, and the signal wire pulses from 0 to 5 v at different timings to control the position of the servo. I don't really understand how connecting this to a electronic marker's trigger switch will close the circuit. It just seams like it may pump an extra 5v into the system in series and fry some things.

I have seen some PWM switches, but they have their own micro controller, transistor etc.

Anyway, what you mentioned could be a simple way to do this. I am just wondering if you could let us know if you have tested it on your ION?

Also to you other guys talking about price. I agree the things get expensive. That auto sentry turret I have seen online is easily approaching $1000 once you get the turret, servos, software etc. Just add the price of an RC car, wireless cams, and everything else on top of that and you starting getting out of what most people would spend on something like this.

To answer one of your questions JSCP, I think it definitely needs to be below $1000. Maybe $500 would be good. I don't really know how much people would pay to rent one at a field or scenario event, $20-$30 maybe?
Currently, I am not using an R/C interface with my turret design. The "Ion"'s trigger is currently hooked up to an Arduino dev board. I simply wired it into one of the analog switch outputs. As for using this setup with R/C control, your are right that you just cannot wire the trigger directly into one of the channels. I was typing without thinking. When I did use R/C for control, I was using a RAM microswitch controller. Let me see if I can find it...
There we are
This is a simple switch connection. It's usually hooked up to a flaps/gear/etc. channel to control lights/sounds/etc. It's simple enough to make, if you have some electronics knowledge. Again, sorry if my response implied that you could just plug it in.
As for trying it out? I've got most of a "prototype" sitting in my garage. I'm not at liberty to divulge too much though. What I can say though is...
  • It uses very modified Ions for it's guns
  • It will be completely self-contained
  • There will be a monitoring application for remote arming/disarming/etc
  • I still don't have a working feed system
  • I also don't have a working IFF(identify friend/foe) system
So, the prototype is about 45% done. The nice thing is, it's winter here and playing is out of the question. I'll have plenty of time to work on it.

Write a program so simple that even an idiot can use it, and only idiots will use it.
DEAk0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:55 AM #11
helen3

4.features would you want to have?I like that It's got a camera mounted on board with night vision, allowing you to see what it sees from a far.
Regards
helen
Nitrotek
helen3 is offline   Reply With Quote