Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-06-2011, 06:32 PM #1
luck45

new team starting out lots of ?s

#1 if we go to a 3 on 3 beginner tournament with all mechanical guns and co2 would this be a bad idea or could we pull it off?

#2 how to playing in winter without spending a lot of money on indoor games?

#3 what would be a good hpa tank size to get that will last 2 games or more in a tournament setting?

#4 best way to use the course with only a 3 man team?

#5 How to get people to sponsor you and your team?

#6 what would we most likely get out of a sponsor at being a beginning team?

#7 how many sponsors should we shot for?

# 8 what would be the best things we could offer the sponsor or sponsors to make it worth there money and time to invest in our team?

#9 what type of places should we try to get to sponsor us?

#10 when do team start having to get signed up for tournaments? Is it per tournament or is it for a season of tournaments?

#11 how much does a typical tournament cost? do we have to pay for paint? do we have to pay for air in are tanks?

#12 if we have to pay for paint is there paint we buy at most tournaments or can we bring are own paint? If its there do they give a discount for the tournament?

sorry for all the newbie ?s. thanks in advance to anyone and everyone that looks and answers any or all of the ?s
luck45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-07-2011, 08:58 PM #2
sup'mango
Dallas

sup'mango supports Team VICIOUS
You won't get sponsored, unless your parents or friend do it. Use whatever you have aslong a's you can keep up with that skill level. Signing up for tournaments are per every tourney unless a local event has a series, and the only national 3 man tourneys I know of are the osoko events for pump.

Local tourneys run you about 50-90 a team for 3 mans and only raise per division

Paint will be event paint unless specified other wise. No discounts usually.

Just go sign up and have fun
sup'mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:12 PM #3
paintballoliver

paintballoliver plays in the PSP
paintballoliver is playing at Living Legends VI
paintballoliver plays in the APPA D4 division
paintballoliver has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
1.) Really depends how good you are and what others teams are using. If you feel like your team does fine with mech guns then by all means go ahead.
2.) Can't answer this one since the closest indoor field is 4 hrs away from me, but in Texas winters never get below 30
3.) What ever tank you feel comfortable with. 68ci/4500 is the most common and has the highest resell value. But if you don't want to drop $100 on a new tank you could try used or buy a 68ci/3000 which those run for $40-50
4.) I don't really know what you are asking?
5.) In order to get paintball componies to sponsor you need to contact them, ANSgear, Zephyr both offer sponsorships so shoot them a email. As for local companies, I will be shocked if you can as most people don't understand paintball. Unfortunately, if you want big sponors (dye, empire, PE ect) you need to have a 5 man team and have played in some tournaments.
6.) Don't expect anything free...at all. Especially for a 3 man beginner team, don't expect anything more than 10% off some items on ANSgear.
7.) Shoot for online stores like Zephyr and Ansgear, you only need one to get you on your feet.
8.) If you only have a 3 man team there is nothing you can do to get big companies to sponsor you, at all. ANS gear and Zephyr will sponsor anything with a pulse.
9.) Online-stores
10.) It depends on the tournament series, I think. I know the tournaments I play are per tournament.
11.) It depends on the tournament, most beginner series are $60-100 per team. Paint is on avg. 60 a case. 1 case per player at least is $180. You are looking at $240 for the team, but if you have 3 players that is $80 each.
12.) Most tournaments are Field Paint only, however, I have been to a few that are BYOP. but they charge $10-20 per case of paint you bring in. So depends on the tournament.

-Connor
Old 11-08-2011, 08:43 PM #4
Racso
It R go good w/ Pizza

Annual Supporting Member
Racso is playing at Living Legends V
Racso is playing at Living Legends VI
Racso is playing at Living Legends VII
Racso is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by luck45 View Post
#1 if we go to a 3 on 3 beginner tournament with all mechanical guns and co2 would this be a bad idea or could we pull it off?

Unless you have a good amount of experience, you'll be outmatched. It will not be easy for you. Even beginner tourneys can be tough if they have a good amount of experience.

Wear thicker clothes. But CO2 is even worse in the winter, so that is another issue for you to consider.

#3 what would be a good hpa tank size to get that will last 2 games or more in a tournament setting?

It depends on how you play and what position. I've seen in three mans a guy go through 6 pods! For MOST players, a 68/45 will be fine, and a 45/45 would be OK as long as you're not using a inefficient spoolie as a back player.

Depends on the setup. Really, it does. Last 3 man I played in was really easy to get to 40 off the break, and even 50 or more depending on how the other team broke. Other fields though require you to play more conservatively. It really all depends on how it is set up. The more lanes there are, the less off the break, and vise-versa.

Play and prove yourself first. Imagine you have your own company, do you want to put your logo on a team that has no rep or the rep of a losing team, or a winning team?

Your honest first and best bet is a field, but you still have to prove yourself first. Make sure that workers and, most importantly, owners, know who you are. They should be able to recognize you before you even ask for anything from them.

Once you're in good with a field, tell them your tourney plans, and why you want what you want, and what you can do for them.

Read above^

# 8 what would be the best things we could offer the sponsor or sponsors to make it worth there money and time to invest in our team?

Read above (winning team). Once you're in good with a field, you can then offer them to setup/teardown, ref, assist, etc.

Read above (field first)

#10 when do team start having to get signed up for tournaments? Is it per tournament or is it for a season of tournaments?

Larger tourneys often require a few weeks before the tourney, smaller tourneys could be just a day or two before, and some can be even day of.

#11 how much does a typical tournament cost? do we have to pay for paint? do we have to pay for air in are tanks?

Most common way to pay for a tourney is a tourney fee, which can range from $20 to $100 per player. This almost always includes air fees. As for paint, some include a case of paint with the entry, some do not. Some offer discounts for tourney paint, some do not. Some are field paint only, some are not.

#12 if we have to pay for paint is there paint we buy at most tournaments or can we bring are own paint? If its there do they give a discount for the tournament?

Read above^

sorry for all the newbie ?s. thanks in advance to anyone and everyone that looks and answers any or all of the ?s
Hope this helps. There are also a lot of stickies on how to do a lot of the things you are asking, so look for those. Feel free to PM me if you have any specifics. I am currently setting up a 5man team, but we are a bit farther along than you, so I can give you some start up tips.
Racso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:26 AM #5
JTBaller203
Thug Life

JTBaller203 supports Team VICIOUS
JTBaller203 posts videos on PbNation
JTBaller203 supports Pev's Paintball
JTBaller203 plays in the APPA D4 division
JTBaller203 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit

It would be unlikely

suck it up and play outside

68/45

depends on the layout

email companies, talk to local fields, etc.

not too much, a small discount

as many as you need to make things affordable

promote their company/product

local field

per tournament typically

depends on sponsors and events. you pay for paint not for air

it all depends on the league

Old 11-13-2011, 07:27 PM #6
generalee72
Knight who says Ni

generalee72 is a Moderator
generalee72 is a Supporting Member
generalee72 donated to help Peyton Trent
generalee72 supports our troops
generalee72 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
generalee72 has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I was looking to help more, but I just kept coming up with "it depends", very few of your questions are necessarily bad, you just can't give a single answer. It all is dependent on other factors that are different everywhere you go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by luck45 View Post
Depends on the tournament, if everyone is running ramping then you might have trouble with it. However, skill can be more important, if you are much better, or much worse than you opponent, then the marker will be irrelevant*.

* Assuming it's reliable, the most important aspect of a marker is the reliability.
Quote:
Suck it up, pay the money, or focus on playing cheaper. (ie: probably shooting less paint)
Quote:
Depends on efficiency of the marker and # of shots fired.
68ci is the standard size for most, but if you are able to get solid 4500psi fills and the marker has decent efficiency then a 48ci might be just fine.
Quote:
Figure out how your players play, most of the time teams will sit until 1 is eliminated, then push to close. But if you have better shooters than the opponents, you can be more aggressive.
Quote:
#10 when do team start having to get signed up for tournaments? ...
#11 how much does a typical tournament cost?....
#12 if we have to pay for paint is there paint we buy at most tournaments or can we bring are own paint?...
Depends on the event, they all run a little different.
Quote:
#5 Ask
#6 Depends on what they can offer
#7 More than you think, most will say no, if they say anything.
#8 Depends on what you can offer and they need.
#9 Something owned by your family. (cause most others will say no)
* Something you already use and would gladly endorse.
* Something that is relevant to whomever you are advertising to.

As a general statement about sponsorship, offer what you have and they need. Labor is probably really your only tool, labor could be physical, could be marketing, could be a lot of things, depends on what they need. Unless your popular or dominant a logo on a jersey won't get you much, but then again...........

Ability is what you’re capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. –Lou Holtz (via-John Maxwell)

Advice for the thread: "how to open a paintball store"
NastyShock3r: hey guy's i live in miami i need help to open a paintball store can anyone help or can tell me what i need to do?
midstatepaintball: That's easy! Just push on the front door of the store if it says "push", or pull on the door if it says "pull".
generalee72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:41 AM #7
ThisWontHurt
Official MidWest Streamer

Annual Supporting Member
ThisWontHurt supports Team VICIOUS
ThisWontHurt posts videos on PbNation
ThisWontHurt supports Pev's Paintball
ThisWontHurt plays in the APPA D5 division
ThisWontHurt has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ThisWontHurt has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit

This depends the type of marker. Tipman A-5 prolly can look to lose. 3 old school Auto Cockers that have been tuned buy some one who know how to tune a cocker you prolly have as good a chance as any. Paintball is 10% skill, 10% knowledge, 110% heart.

Have to bite the paint and pony up the cash.

Depending the gun and your size I personally like the Ninja 50/4500 but I run a G6R so I have crazy efficiency. If you have longer arms try the Ninja 68/4500

Depends on the field. Remember tape lines are important to control. When you know field layout shoot me a pm and I'll talk stratagy with you.

2 ways.
1) Play events and win.
2) Have family that owns a business.

Those are your best bets.

Also being in good with your local pro shop helps a lot. I live around DSS' brick and mortar store and go out of my way to do business there and it is starting to show for me so support your local stores.

Discounted gear.

Shoot for the stars. Even if you miss your sure to hit the moon.

Jersey space and banner space. Also creating a webpage and Facebook page help too. I use www.weebly.com for my team pages. Its free. Check out the RejectsPB link in my sig to see some of what you can do without know HTML.

Anyplace in your community.

All tournys are different. Example if you play the Vicious Series you sign up for 3 tournys at a time but if you play the Vicious Street Ball tourny you just sign up for that event.

#11 how much does a typical tournament cost? do we have to pay for paint? do we have to pay for air in are tanks?Again price depends on the tourney. I'll use the Vicious Series again because I live close to where that's hosted. It was I think $350 for the team registration. $40 for the APPA player registration plus we went through about 6 cases of paint at $60 a case. Now keep in mind the $350 was for 3 events and not one.

Most events are field paint only. It does tend to be a little cheaper too. Metro Paintball Games was selling Marblizer for 70 instead of their normal 75 durning event 2 of the Vicious Series this year so not a huge difference but some.

If you need anything else don't hesitate to shoot me a PM.

Like Us on Facebook
ThisWontHurt is offline   Reply With Quote