Annual Supporting Member
ScottQ is a Moderator
ScottQ is a Supporting Member
ScottQ is a founding member
ScottQ works for a Paintball manufacturer
ScottQ plays in the PSP
ScottQ supports Team VICIOUS
**Ask a Ninja Tech**

This thread is for questions regarding Ninja products. Our resident Ninja technician will answer ASAP. Please only serious questions.

If you get confused just listen to the music play.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-08-2011, 07:47 AM #2
PbRylan

I just got my new ninja grey ghost 68/4500 tank and had it filled up today. I noticed a subtle noise and put my ear closer and could hear a small leak. I put the reg into water and saw small bubbles coming from around the air fill nipple. Is there an easy home method I can use to fix this or do I have to send it back? Thanks.

"just screw it in" - Is this safe to do while there is air in the tank?
Old 11-08-2011, 08:17 AM #3
ikappedkermit

ikappedkermit plays in the APPA D4 division
ikappedkermit supports DLX Technology
I pulled my 50/4500 out of storage - the outer "covering" is split all the way around the bottle... is this bottle still sound? If not what needs to be done?

Thanks!

Proudly playing for APACHE ALLSTARZ
Painball Club of Choctaw
Old 11-08-2011, 09:42 AM #4
ScottQ
lefty scissors

Annual Supporting Member
ScottQ is a Moderator
ScottQ is a Supporting Member
ScottQ is a founding member
ScottQ works for a Paintball manufacturer
ScottQ plays in the PSP
ScottQ supports Team VICIOUS
The black covering?

If you get confused just listen to the music play.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:01 AM #5
ikappedkermit

Yes the black covering...

Painball Club of Choctaw
Old 11-08-2011, 10:10 AM #6
PbRylan

I tried to tighten my air fill nozzle but it is as tight as i can possibly turn it already. Is there another reason why it may be leaking around here?
Old 11-08-2011, 10:35 AM #7
Rob @ Ninja PB

Rob @ Ninja PB works for a Paintball manufacturer
Rob @ Ninja PB owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Rob @ Ninja PB supports Team VICIOUS
Rob @ Ninja PB supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by PbRylan View Post
I just got my new ninja grey ghost 68/4500 tank and had it filled up today. I noticed a subtle noise and put my ear closer and could hear a small leak. I put the reg into water and saw small bubbles coming from around the air fill nipple. Is there an easy home method I can use to fix this or do I have to send it back? Thanks.

"just screw it in" - Is this safe to do while there is air in the tank?
Is the leak coming from the fill nipple threads or the port where the air enters the fill nipple?

I'm not sure i understand your question about "just screw it in". Could you please elaborate? Are you asking if its ok to screw in a leaking reg into your marker?
Certfied Hydro Test Facility - DOT RIN# G777
NINJA USERS CLUB
Old 11-08-2011, 10:37 AM #8
Rob @ Ninja PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikappedkermit View Post
I pulled my 50/4500 out of storage - the outer "covering" is split all the way around the bottle... is this bottle still sound? If not what needs to be done?

Thanks!
Could you please take clear, multiple pictures of the damage you are referring to and email those over to me at rob@ninjapaintball.com? Also make sure to include your full name, address, and phone number. Once I can inspect the pictures, I can let you know what can be done to help you out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottQ View Post
The black covering?
I believe he is referring to the black gel coat on the bottle, not necessarily a tank cover.
NINJA USERS CLUB
Old 11-08-2011, 10:45 AM #9
PbRylan

It is leaking from around the threads. And that quote I took was from someone who suggested I just tighten the air fill nipple. I just pasted it in this thread since it's been moved from the previous thread. When I place the regulator in water I saw the air bubbles coming out from around the threads of the air fill nipple.
So I tried to tighten the air fill nipple but I can't even budge it.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:20 AM #10
ikappedkermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob @ Ninja PB View Post
Could you please take clear, multiple pictures of the damage you are referring to and email those over to me at rob@ninjapaintball.com? Also make sure to include your full name, address, and phone number. Once I can inspect the pictures, I can let you know what can be done to help you out.

I believe he is referring to the black gel coat on the bottle, not necessarily a tank cover.

Thanks Rob - I'll get pics this evening and send them ASAP... and yes, I am talking about the outer covering of the tank proper...

Painball Club of Choctaw
Old 11-08-2011, 11:26 AM #11
Rob @ Ninja PB

Quote:
It is leaking from around the threads. And that quote I took was from someone who suggested I just tighten the air fill nipple. I just pasted it in this thread since it's been moved from the previous thread. When I place the regulator in water I saw the air bubbles coming out from around the threads of the air fill nipple.
So I tried to tighten the air fill nipple but I can't even budge it.
Yes, in most cases, tightening the fill nipple down will stop leaks in the threads but if it doesnt, you can uninstall the fill nipple after you degas the bottle, reapply teflon tape and then reinstall the fill nipple. That will take care of the problem for you. I also responded to your post in the general air systems forum
NINJA USERS CLUB
Old 11-08-2011, 11:28 AM #12
Rob @ Ninja PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikappedkermit View Post
Thanks Rob - I'll get pics this evening and send them ASAP... and yes, I am talking about the outer covering of the tank proper...
That's what I was thinking, but its always good to make sure instead of assuming Thanks and after I review the pics, I'll get right back to you.
NINJA USERS CLUB
Old 11-08-2011, 12:04 PM #13
PbRylan

Quote:
Yes, in most cases, tightening the fill nipple down will stop leaks in the threads but if it doesnt, you can uninstall the fill nipple after you degas the bottle, reapply teflon tape and then reinstall the fill nipple. That will take care of the problem for you. I also responded to your post in the general air systems forum
Yeah sorry didnt mean to double post but I only saw this thread after. So can I easily unscrew the air fill nipple without having to do anything else to the regulator first? I think we have some teflon tape lying around the house so I can use that. And I have already degassed the tank
Old 11-08-2011, 01:05 PM #14
Rob @ Ninja PB

Quote:
Yeah sorry didnt mean to double post but I only saw this thread after. So can I easily unscrew the air fill nipple without having to do anything else to the regulator first? I think we have some teflon tape lying around the house so I can use that. And I have already degassed the tank
Yes, you can safely remove your fill nipple from your regulator without having to do anything to it (as long as there is no air inside the tank). After you reapply teflon tape and air it up, let us know what happens.
NINJA USERS CLUB
Old 11-08-2011, 01:28 PM #15
PbRylan

Quote:
Yes, you can safely remove your fill nipple from your regulator without having to do anything to it (as long as there is no air inside the tank). After you reapply teflon tape and air it up, let us know what happens.
Will do, thanks for the help
Old 11-08-2011, 03:50 PM #16
LGT06

Question Tuning Output Pressure

When determining which output pressure and how many shims to use in a regulator, what factors should be looked at?

I'm using a Smart Parts Vibe with a Ninja regulator on a 48/3000 tank. I've removed the two red shims, leaving the a single brass shim in the regulator.

Assuming the marker functions properly and gets the desired velocity (which mine does), is avoiding shoot down or drop off at high rates of fire the only other concern? Might a higher pressure produce better consistency even if every thing else is OK?

Does lower output pressure usually mean better efficiency, or not necessarily?

Thanks!

Last edited by LGT06 : 11-08-2011 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:21 PM #17
Rob @ Ninja PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGT06 View Post
When determining which output pressure and how many shims to use in a regulator, what factors should be looked at?

I'm using a Smart Parts Vibe with a Ninja regulator on a 48/3000 tank. I've removed the two red shims, leaving the a single brass shim in the regulator.

Assuming the marker functions properly and gets the desired velocity (which mine does), is avoiding shoot down or drop off at high rates of fire the only other concern? Might a higher pressure produce better consistency even if every thing else is OK?

Does lower output pressure usually mean better efficiency, or not necessarily?

Thanks!
It really depends on the marker. I do not think the Vibe will gain any additional efficiency but this is a marker we never tested. You may find something out that we're not aware about.

With removing the two red shims and leaving the thin shim in there, you should be at roughly 500psi. As long as you're able to chrono your marker and you dont experience any shootdown during strings of rapid firing, then I would say leave it at 500psi. If you do experience any issues with chronoing or shootdown, then you know you need a higher pressure.

One thing that using a lower pressure does is cause less wear and tear on your hpr. Your hpr doesnt have to work as hard to regulator low or mid pressure down versus high pressure.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

EDIT - the only time you will see better consistency is going with our SMP550 preset regulator which uses a belleville spring stack versus the coil spring in our adjustable reg. Adjustable reg (as long as everything is working properly), should see +/- 5-7fps over the chrono. The belleville spring stack should get you about +/- 3-5fps over the chrono. This has been confirmed by in-house testing.
NINJA USERS CLUB
Old 11-09-2011, 12:00 AM #18
ballah17r

ballah17r owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
ballah17r is an NCPA player
ballah17r is attending Decay of Nations VI
Rob,

I talked to you last week about my fill nipple "valve" getting stuck - I went with your advice and got a new one. I have another question. For reminders: It is a PE tank and it's "birthday" is 4/04. I am wondering if the regs that came on those models have adjustable output pressures adjustable...I would like to lower the output to around 400 psi. I saw that you can do that to the newer ninja ones and as I just opened up the reg, I noticed similar "disks" withing the regulator. I am going to purchase a new tank pretty soon so I have a back up - but until that time arrives, can I use my reg as an LP or should I just buy a new regulator?

Thanks,
Ballah17r
University of Texas at Dallas Paintball #17
~~~ Website Thread Facebook ~~~
PROUDLY SPONSORED BY AVID EXTREME SPORTS
Old 11-09-2011, 09:23 AM #19
Rob @ Ninja PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballah17r View Post
Rob,

I talked to you last week about my fill nipple "valve" getting stuck - I went with your advice and got a new one. I have another question. For reminders: It is a PE tank and it's "birthday" is 4/04. I am wondering if the regs that came on those models have adjustable output pressures adjustable...I would like to lower the output to around 400 psi. I saw that you can do that to the newer ninja ones and as I just opened up the reg, I noticed similar "disks" withing the regulator. I am going to purchase a new tank pretty soon so I have a back up - but until that time arrives, can I use my reg as an LP or should I just buy a new regulator?

Thanks,
Ballah17r
On Pure Energy air systems, you would need to purchase an lp spring kit to lower the pressure. Or you can buy a Ninja adjustable for $35 and never have to worry about buying any spring or shim kits to get your air system to work with your marker
NINJA USERS CLUB
Old 11-09-2011, 09:20 PM #20
Bobtheballer
wanabe gunwhore

Bobtheballer owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I just picked up a Ninja 68, I believe it's just the standard reg. I'm just curious how to tell for sure if it's the adjustable reg? Would I have to take it apart?

On the adjustable regs, how do you switch it to low pressure from high pressure? I'm looking into buying an Angel, so being able to switch back and forth easily will be pretty sweet.

Edit: Stumbled on a video showing how to adjust the pressure. I like that a lot, now to get my Angel lol

Last edited by Bobtheballer : 11-09-2011 at 09:27 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:15 PM #21
Rob @ Ninja PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobtheballer View Post
I just picked up a Ninja 68, I believe it's just the standard reg. I'm just curious how to tell for sure if it's the adjustable reg? Would I have to take it apart?

On the adjustable regs, how do you switch it to low pressure from high pressure? I'm looking into buying an Angel, so being able to switch back and forth easily will be pretty sweet.

Edit: Stumbled on a video showing how to adjust the pressure. I like that a lot, now to get my Angel lol
If you see two Ninja "N" logos on either side of the bonnet (top half of your reg), thats an adjustable. Our GS Series regs will say SLP, SMP550, or SHP on it. Glad you found the vid. If you have any other questions, let me know...and grats on your Ninja system
NINJA USERS CLUB
Closed Thread