Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-17-2011, 12:51 PM #1
DuMb-KiD-dReW
ACPP Forever

DuMb-KiD-dReW is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Need advice, me & my doberman vs condo board

To keep it simple I am asking for some fellow pet owners, for advice. Has anyone ever had to dealt with something like this before? Should I get a lawyer and fight the condo board and if I do fight it, can I still be fined for having my dog on the property while we are in court?.

I have a 6 month Doberman pinscher named pax. My old lady and I live in a town house in condominium complex; my old lady owns the place but not the land. We have two dogs Pax and Chloe (female king Shepard).

Before I got pax I did all the research on condo dog bi laws and restrictions and the city of Edmonton restrictions. None were in place; nothing was mentioned as to any bi laws high restrictions or breed restrictions. We asked the condo board and the president herself said we could get any dog we wanted and there were no restrictions in place. As long as we respect the dog poop bi law then we are good. Sadly I didn’t get this in writing or on record.

Fast forward 3 months I received notice that I have 30 day to get rid of pax or face fines of up to $250 a day. The president claims my dog is vicious because she was attacked by a Doberman when she was a child and that my puppy will be vicious once he grows up. She also tried to say my dog was mistreated and suffering because we have another dog and that we are cruel for having two large breed guard dogs. The president also went to our neighbours to try and rally support for her cause both neighbours replied with “pax just looks mean and is just a big clumsy suck, he loves kids and plays with the other dogs we trust him and are not worried about him around our kids”.

She failed to provide any evidence that we weren’t picking up pax and Chloe poop. We asked for the bi laws and where they are written so we can read them ourselves turns out she was bluffing no bi laws exist and she had no evidence.

Last week we got our final notice. The condo president again made false accusations with once again no proof or evidence but this time she wrote us the bi law code. We looked it up the new bi laws were not written until September and did not take effect until October 7th 2011. We got pax in July long before the bi laws were in place and the best part the only dog breed not allowed in the complex so this lady purposely had it written for pax to be banned. I have all pax’s papers so I can back when we got him, when he was register in the city of Edmonton.

I can also provide the city dog restrictions and bi laws and that a Doberman is not listed on Edmonton dangerous or restricted list of dog breeds but 4 other breeds that are restricted are living in the complex yet fail to be mentioned in the bi laws.
So have any of you pet owner ever dealt with something like this.
DuMb-KiD-dReW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-19-2011, 02:03 PM #2
ripdisc

ripdisc supports Cereal Killerz 2
ripdisc helped look for balloons
ripdisc is playing at Living Legends VII
ripdisc owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
if there was nothing written about it and you are not breaking any rules it should not leave her a leg to stand on...her only advantage is she is the head of the condo board.
hopefully they vote or something. I would get in writing from all of your neighbors that the dog is friendly and not a nuisance. Then just go and present your case calmly. you might contact a lawyer and then you can tell the committe that you are not breaking any rules/laws. even if they changed the rules you should be grandfathered in. You might tell them you have contacted a lawyer (weather you have or not) and if it proceeds badly you will take them to court; again say it calmly. Sometimes that is enough to back people down.
Did your wife/girlfriend hear the president say there were no rules and get any breed you want? then it is sort of like a verbal agreement with your word + your wife/gfs against hers...probably wouldn't make much difference.

The Ripdisc Collection
ripdisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:51 AM #3
comom

An addtional suggestion- I don't know if there is a program like this by you, but the AKC has something called the STAR Puppy program. http://www.akc.org/starpuppy/about_the_program.cfm
It will give you something "official" that says you are responsible dog owners, and your puppy has been taught manners. STAR Puppy is a precursor to the AKC's Canine Good Citizen award. I believe in Canada they call it Canine Good Neighbor. If there is no equivalant of the STAR Puppy program there, and your pup is too young for the CGN, enroll in a basic obedience class. Again, this will give you something to prove you're responsible and your pup has manners.
comom is offline   Reply With Quote