Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-12-2009, 10:16 PM #1
SenorTrojan

What headset should i purchase for scenario play?

I think it would be cool to purchase headsets to improve communication in scenario play. What do you recommend? Any and all input is appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
Advertisement
Old 11-20-2009, 06:47 PM #2
subyrally
Trust your turbo lust

i have a throat mic/headset that i found on opsgear.com. i think it ran me about $35-$40 shipped. its pretty cool, doesnt pick up all the back ground noise and you dont have to talk very load to be heard since it is picking up your voice from your throat.

the only issue i have is that the plug is rather long for a motorolla radio that i dont have, lol. you need to either get the adaptor for it or put a small o-ring around the base of the plug to keep it from getting puched in all the way.

the best standard head set i have was a cheap one that i got from CVS years ago. the mic is asmall pod on the head phone wire with a tiny ptt button on it. works great when i need it.
subyrally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:40 PM #3
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
One little tip, do NOT get one that's voice activated. Push to talk (PTT) only please. The vast majority of what you say in a scenario games does not need to be broadcast to every other player on the field.
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:33 AM #4
subyrally
Trust your turbo lust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarius View Post
One little tip, do NOT get one that's voice activated. Push to talk (PTT) only please. The vast majority of what you say in a scenario games does not need to be broadcast to every other player on the field.
very good point, cant beleive that i left that out. lol.
subyrally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:26 PM #5
stevebski
< Kris Williams is HOT

stevebski supports Bob Gurnsey
stevebski supports our troops
I have this for my radios. They kick butt. heavy duty ptt button, plenty of cord for the headset and it allows for a solid feel to the headset while running and such. plus it doesn't cover up the ear so you can still hear out of both sides.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Aviation-Bowman-...item439b264530
Old 11-25-2009, 04:17 PM #6
jalmomb09

What headset should i purchase for scenario play

personally i would remove it bc they can biopsy it then god for bid its not good you are one step a head ..
jalmomb09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:08 AM #7
johneagle05

Yeah. Always get a push to talk and for the love of god don't get a special ops firefox one.
johneagle05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:24 PM #8
D-Pantz {MWB}

Quote:
how does PTT change who it broadcasts too?

PTT just means you have a clearer broadcast because VOX takes a little time to recognize youre talking. PTT will broadcast to everyone on the freq regardless
D-Pantz {MWB} is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:57 PM #9
AlexK

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Pantz {MWB} View Post
how does PTT change who it broadcasts too?

PTT just means you have a clearer broadcast because VOX takes a little time to recognize youre talking. PTT will broadcast to everyone on the freq regardless
Not who, but when.

With VOX everything you say gets broadcast.

With PTT only what you want gets broadcast.
AlexK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:33 PM #10
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK View Post
Not who, but when.

With VOX everything you say gets broadcast.

With PTT only what you want gets broadcast.
Exactly. Nothing worse than hearing a constant "He's behind that tree...no the other tree...toss me a pod...hey ref check his hopper...no the other guys hopper...is it clear yet...hang on I need to squeegee...can we radio for a tank...(slightly louder) Base we need tank support over by the Green base...man I hope that tank gets here soon...hey I'm hungry you got any of those chips left in your truck...so what if they're a little stale I'm hungry..."

After about 5 minutes of this you'll get a barrage of people yelling into their radios to "TURN OFF THE DAMN VOX!".
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:32 PM #11
hiddenphantom

Quote:
Exactly. Nothing worse than hearing a constant "He's behind that tree...no the other tree...toss me a pod...hey ref check his hopper...no the other guys hopper...is it clear yet...hang on I need to squeegee...can we radio for a tank...(slightly louder) Base we need tank support over by the Green base...man I hope that tank gets here soon...hey I'm hungry you got any of those chips left in your truck...so what if they're a little stale I'm hungry..."

After about 5 minutes of this you'll get a barrage of people yelling into their radios to "TURN OFF THE DAMN VOX!".
5 minutes?? You mean 5 sec of that crap.

So as far as a headset, which is better the throat mic set up, boom mic or a hanging mic thingy? I understand that money wise you get what you pay for but for general style which meshes best with paintball??
Old 01-21-2010, 08:31 AM #12
jellytime

u r absolutely right.. this will also improve the game plan.... head sets do wonders in a group.. i am also looking forward to buy one.
jellytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:47 PM #13
Jason4384

Rap4.com carries a whole throat mic setup that comes with walkie-talkies and chargers for around $160.
Jason4384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:40 PM #14
SRFox

I would recommend clearercom... www.clearercom.com. I have the stryker lite. Works great.
SRFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 01:47 PM #15
jimbo69ny

I know this is an old thread but I thought Id revive it.

What are people using these days? Id like to get something that works well but doesnt cost an arm and a leg.
Old 10-15-2011, 02:36 PM #16
r_clarke
Disposable Heroes

GOT MINE FOR $12 OFF AMAZON...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

THESE ARE THE RADIOS....
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

THEY ARE small AND FIT IN TO ANY TYPE/SIZE POUCH.
RUNS OFF 3XAAA OR A RECHARGEABLE PACK

GREAT FOR THE BALLER ON A BUDGET !
Animal Custom Paintball Gear_HitMan Gear
Psycho Scenario Mask covers

WEB
www.facebook.com/disposableheroespaintballteam
r_clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:14 PM #17
CrazyHarry
Evil Genius

CrazyHarry is playing at Living Legends VII
CrazyHarry has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
CrazyHarry has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
CrazyHarry supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiddenphantom View Post
5 minutes?? You mean 5 sec of that crap.

So as far as a headset, which is better the throat mic set up, boom mic or a hanging mic thingy? I understand that money wise you get what you pay for but for general style which meshes best with paintball??
Hanging mike with an ear piece. Nothing beats the absolute sheer reliability of that setup. Not to mention, you can take your vest off, and you don't have to take off anything else.

If you are technically inclined, and are careful not to broadcast outside of citizen's band wavelengths, I have a Puxing 777 and I love it to death. It puts out about 5 watts of power (costs about $85 with shipping from China). Most of the so called 10 mile radios put out about .5 watts in comparison. Just keep in mind, you can do illegal things with that radio, that can land your butt with a pretty stiff fine if you screw around with it too much... and it isn't exactly easy to find and program in the frequencies for your normal motorola and midlands, but it's worth it.

I have this mike:

and it has a plug in ear piece that I use. It's always easy to find, I can unplug the ear piece and everyone around me can hear orders being shouted over the radio. I filled it with paint, sticks and mud on a regular basis, but all I have to do is spray it off in a sink and it works just fine.

I can tell you from experience that throat mikes suck. They only marginally work under perfect conditions. They are always moving on you. Further more, the good ones have extra elastic closures and crap on them to keep the mikes pressed into your neck... taking the dang things off is like trying to crawl out of a straight jacket.

Boom mikes are good, but often are uncomfortable under your mask, or may work with one kind of mask, but not another... Some require your mask to be tethered to you at all times.

I just like to keep it simple. Go with a good, heavy duty, speaker mike.

Geisterjager CO
CrazyHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:23 AM #18
jimbo69ny

Im trying to get my friends to buy them too. That way I have someone to talk to.

If I start going to more scenerio games, are there usually people who go that use/bring radios?
Old 10-22-2011, 07:03 AM #19
CrazyHarry
Evil Genius

CrazyHarry is playing at Living Legends VII
CrazyHarry has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
CrazyHarry has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
CrazyHarry supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo69ny View Post
Im trying to get my friends to buy them too. That way I have someone to talk to.

If I start going to more scenerio games, are there usually people who go that use/bring radios?
I guess it really depends on your area, but at major events, yes. Having a radio can definitely increase your ability to have fun.

Geisterjager CO
CrazyHarry is offline   Reply With Quote