J. Stein

J. Stein is a Supporting Member
J. Stein is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
J. Stein plays in the PSP
J. Stein donated to help Peyton Trent
Waking up the Forum

This place has been dead.

And that's been ok with Baca pushing out new posts every couple of days and the ProPaintball ****-talk-box talking about all manner of hate.

But Lane just lowered the boom on the haters so it'll be hard to listen to "insider" telling us that a 7-man, raceto 2 format is a done deal. And Baca.... probably the best blog on paintball out there, but he's not usually as this prolific and I don't want to be stuck on VFTB clicking 'refresh' every 2 min waiting.

Sure is lucky (for us all) that some anon poster asked about Marcello. That created three new posts inside of a few days.

I updated the links in the Table of Contents for all the past Threads of the Week. I'll try to update links to the other "Thought Starters" over the weekend. There were some good topics, and I thought about reopening some of them, or creating "retrospectives" to get people talking again.

Instead (or, at least, before I do that), I thought I'd ask for suggestions on new topics for Threads of the Week.

There is a lot going on in paintball. What with the merger rumors, the new-found strength of the PSP, Lane's awesome interview over at ProPaintball. There should be some things we can talk about.

Go check out the old Threads of the Week to get creative juices flowing.

Warzone Facebook
www.warzoneri.com

RIP Ronnie
J. Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-07-2011, 12:56 PM #2
4x4 rider
Armageddon 2013

4x4 rider plays in the PSP
4x4 rider plays in the APPA D3 division
Heres a thought, I would like to hear why some of the upcomig teams (and team owners) would want to go "Pro" in a league whether it be PSP or NPPL, not knowing if it will be around in the fututure. Other than for the pure aspect of playing the best in the world.
Josh DeYoung #01
NEAA 2014

NEAA-2011 foXball Champs!

Aftermath fan club member #80
UpTon 187 cRew fan club member #15
4x4 rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:47 AM #3
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa

I just wanted to make it a point to say more people should be aware of the discussions in this forum. I like to check in on the current topics because I feel like there are a lot of people who are actually involved with the sport in here talking. I think of it as a slower version of VFTD...

Either way, don't stop the talks and get more legitimate people in here talking.
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:52 AM #4
J. Stein

Slower than VFTB? Maybe recently, but historically? Please!

Warzone Facebook
www.warzoneri.com

RIP Ronnie
Old 10-13-2011, 10:57 AM #5
J. Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4 rider View Post
Heres a thought, I would like to hear why some of the upcomig teams (and team owners) would want to go "Pro" in a league whether it be PSP or NPPL, not knowing if it will be around in the fututure. Other than for the pure aspect of playing the best in the world.
Josh,
I think that's a great topic. However, in the past few weeks we've seen two of the teams allegedly considering a move up implode (TKO and Assault). I don't know if Big Jim (Top Gun) posts on PbNation. That leaves Dave and me. And if Dave doesn't post, just me. Which isn't really a thread, so much. But maybe if it was opened up to a more general discussion on what the benefits of moving up are, and then Dave (and I) can post in that thread without needing to stand up in front of it.

Warzone Facebook
www.warzoneri.com

RIP Ronnie
Old 10-13-2011, 12:54 PM #6
sumorai
FRENCHIE

Annual Supporting Member
sumorai is a Supporting Member
sumorai plays in the PSP
sumorai is playing at Living Legends VII
sumorai supports our troops
sumorai has perfected Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
So Assault really is done? That sucks.

NEPb - Destructive Customs - Feedback: Old New - Stuff for sale

I am not a MacDev tech. Please do not PM me about their products. Click here instead
sumorai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:59 PM #7
booboodinosaur

booboodinosaur owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
booboodinosaur owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
booboodinosaur owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Why is Assault done again?
booboodinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:09 PM #8
J. Stein

Assault is not playing Cup. That doesn't mean they are done (it was my assumption, and apparantly a bad one).

Go check out ProPaintball.com for details (in the chat box).

Warzone Facebook
www.warzoneri.com

RIP Ronnie
Old 10-13-2011, 01:43 PM #9
sumorai
FRENCHIE

Annual Supporting Member
sumorai is a Supporting Member
sumorai plays in the PSP
sumorai is playing at Living Legends VII
sumorai supports our troops
sumorai has perfected Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
I'll take your word for it. I've managed to avoid reading the smack box for a long time now.

NEPb - Destructive Customs - Feedback: Old New - Stuff for sale

I am not a MacDev tech. Please do not PM me about their products. Click here instead
sumorai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:42 PM #10
4x4 rider
Armageddon 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Stein

Josh,
I think that's a great topic. However, in the past few weeks we've seen two of the teams allegedly considering a move up implode (TKO and Assault). I don't know if Big Jim (Top Gun) posts on PbNation. That leaves Dave and me. And if Dave doesn't post, just me. Which isn't really a thread, so much. But maybe if it was opened up to a more general discussion on what the benefits of moving up are, and then Dave (and I) can post in that thread without needing to stand up in front of it.
I would love to see that thread get started. It would be nice to hear from some of the players aspects too, other thzn for the reason I stated.
Josh DeYoung #01
NEAA 2014

Old 10-13-2011, 07:07 PM #11
Fox4paintball
Home of upTon 187 cRew

Annual Supporting Member
Fox4paintball is a Professional paintball player
Fox4paintball is an Ultimate field/store owner
Fox4paintball plays in the PSP
Fox4paintball owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Fox4paintball owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Fox4paintball plays in the APPA D4 division
Josh - I think the answer is to the question is fairly obvious

We're all competitive people - or we wouldn't be doing what we're doing. Competitive people want to push themselves - play against the best - be the best. Moving up the ladder (whether that's from D4 to D3 or D1 to Pro) is just a measurement against ourselves - finding out where we fit in the world of tournament paintball.

On a business side of things (running a team that is) moving up means you can hopefully get a little more out of your sponsors then you did the previous year. More publicity, more followers, etc... means more value to the sponsors. Unfortunately I think the steps are fairly shallow until you get to the Pro ranks. Meaning that the sponsors (KEE Action Sports, Planet Eclipse, etc..) see real marketing and lead generation value in the PRO teams. When you start reaching the Marketing Dollars and not the Sales dollars then you've hit the sweet spot.

As for your actual question - why would we want to bump up to pro in a league that might not be around in a year or two? Well, the truth is, if we waited till we were 100% certain that our chosen league would be around for the foreseeable future – we’d be waiting for ever. There are always off season rumors of leagues folding, leagues merging, new leagues forming, etc.
Home of upTon 187 cRew
(508) 529-FOX4 (3694)
www.fox4paintball.com
Fox4paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:31 PM #12
4x4 rider
Armageddon 2013

Thanks for that answer Dave, its generally what I thought I would get from a team owner. As for the league part of the questiin, I guess its true, we would be waiting around for ever. Look at basketball right now they are saying no season lol. I still would like to hear from a player off of either 187 or the Hurricanes.
Josh DeYoung #01
NEAA 2014

Old 10-14-2011, 11:10 AM #13
ShowtimepB1123
Jimmy Fingass

this question is for anyone who is willing to explain maybe a stupid question

i was just wondering if the leagues were to merge whos to say they had to be a unified format i mean both leagues have done pump leagues and i think nppl did 3 man for a while im not positive im not sure how the logistics worked out but im sure the scheduling could be worked out where the formats are on alternate days increase the amount of tournaments in a season so that your not limiting a season to a total of 5 or 6 nationals a year the feeder leagues could continue to choose between one format so that younger teams could choose which one they prefer as well as the unifed league and as far as pros some teams already play in one league and with the economy in such a bind and paintball always having a financial problem i dont think itd be a bad idea to start having the less noticable teams picking a format to stay and having maybe 5 or 6 teams (Dynasty,Infamous,i would say russians but they already do this,Ironmen,Impact,) teams of those kind've statures
As far as the hurricans i really wonder whether or not you guys in that predicment would chose 7 man or xball because i know you guys have always done both one way or another but as i stated before financially wouldnt it make sense to try to and own one league till your STATURE wise i say it like that cause i love the canes and i think you guys should be able to stand in the ranks of all the teams above but like i was saying stature wise once one league has been hopefully dominated or at least competively accomplished enough to be considered one of the best

Thanks for taking the time to read and i appreciate any form of answer or response
ShowtimepB1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:16 AM #14
ShowtimepB1123
Jimmy Fingass

always would like that last post to act as my suggestion sorry i ran away with the thought and spaced that part out
ShowtimepB1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:42 PM #15
4x4 rider
Armageddon 2013

I could see how your idea could work, but I am a big supporter of 1 format and 1 format only.
Josh DeYoung #01
NEAA 2014

Old 10-16-2011, 09:01 AM #16
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl is a Supporting Member
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl supports our troops
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4 rider View Post
I could see how your idea could work, but I am a big supporter of 1 format and 1 format only.
What's "one format"?

Do NFL and NCAA Football play "one format"? NBA and NCAA Basketball?

little league-high school-college-MLB baseball? Designated hitter vs. no designated hitter?

How about D2 and D3 RaceTo 5, or 4? Is that the same format?

How about PSP 5-man vs. NPPL 5-man?

NCPA 3-man vs. everybody elses 3-man? (Hint: NPCA 3-man is limited paint.)

How about people starting at opposite ends of a rectangle with some obstacles in the middle and then shooting at each other until they're all eliminated or time runs out? Is that the same format?

I don't think "same format" matters nearly as much as some people would have anyone think.

- Chris

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org
raehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:07 PM #17
4x4 rider
Armageddon 2013

By one format I mean, either go with 7 man or go with x-ball. I believe the two differet formats is either makings it difficult for a team to choose or not allowing them to play multiple leagues do to cost. I am in favor of have the x-ball style of play. As for your sub questions go, you have the same number of players on the field from little league to the MLB, highschool basketball and NBA, mighty mights to NFL. Yea a few rules here and there are changed but the. Number of people on the field do not, scoring doesnt change. Do you understand what I am saying? I know what your talking about, and i still dont understand why there is 3-man, 5-man, 7-man. If there is a solid answer for the reason I would like to hear it.

The reason why I say this is because Kids in paintball progress very fast, and I beleive it would help the younger players if there was one format ( 3,5, or7 man) to focus on.
Josh DeYoung #01
NEAA 2014

Last edited by 4x4 rider : 10-16-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:24 PM #18
EMSGuy24
no

EMSGuy24 plays in the PSP
EMSGuy24 plays in the APPA D4 division
Could 1 League that offers both formats with a modified Pro Division Work? I dont know what the modified Pro Division style would be. I just have been reading that PSP runs a great event where NPPL promotes a great event...
EMSGuy24 is offline   Reply With Quote