J. Stein

J. Stein is a Supporting Member
J. Stein is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
J. Stein plays in the PSP
J. Stein donated to help Peyton Trent
What makes a good practice?

Letís get something going in here.

Here is a topic everyone likely has some opinion on: What is the best way to practice?

Some teams like to scrimmage. It helps build on field cohesion, communication and, letís face it, there really is no substitute for actually playing.

Some teams prefer heavy drilling. Working on individual technical skills, breakouts, closing drillsÖ

Some teams think you should only practice with teams as good or better than you.

Some donít seem to care and enter regular rotations.

How many games/matches should you get in each practice (when you play games)?

How many cases of paint makes for a good practice (or, I suppose, more to the point, below what number is it not worth while)?

Is running and doing conditioning a waste of time? How about group stretches?

What are the gating factors to a good practice? What are the bottom line minimums?

What differentiates a great practice from a good one from an ok one?

Warzone Facebook
www.warzoneri.com

RIP Ronnie
J. Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-05-2011, 06:37 PM #2
EMSGuy24
no

EMSGuy24 plays in the PSP
EMSGuy24 plays in the APPA D4 division
This is something I have been thinking about a lot lately.

I do not think you should be doing conditioning at practice. You should enter the season in shape and due to limitation condition can be done better away from the field.

Stretching should happen. Like in other sports you run around then stop for a while the go play more. Stretching is key to help prevent injuries...

Now for on the field. I think a mixture of playing teams and drilling is appropriate. I have been asking people this along with me thoughts and have came to the conclusion that you can break down a field as much as you want but unit you have 3 5 or 7 people shooting back at you, you truly will now know if a play will work. Drills are also key, I do not care what sport or at what level you still do drills. You need to keep skills up and work situations you might find yourself in.

Now for paint that is big. I think it's a situation go till you have no more or can't afford it for that day... This is the biggest restrictions on teams when it comes to playing and practicing.

Teams I think you can get a good practice against teams of all abilities. Good teams make you think and grind and work hard. Lesser teams build a winning attitude when you can beat them. I also want to throw in playing the location of the tourney ahead of time so you know how the field is especially if it's grass...
EMSGuy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:34 PM #3
jmac

jmac plays in the PSP
jmac plays in the APPA D4 division
I believe the things needed to win in paintball can't be practiced.

Sure drill to keep your skills up if you think it will help. I don't think the mental part of the game can be taught, and i feel that's the more important part. Learning when to move, how to end games, etc. Anyone can go to a bunker and roll their gun and shoot people in the pack.
jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:03 PM #4
ctpaintballa42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac View Post
I believe the things needed to win in paintball can't be practiced.

Sure drill to keep your skills up if you think it will help. I don't think the mental part of the game can be taught, and i feel that's the more important part. Learning when to move, how to end games, etc. Anyone can go to a bunker and roll their gun and shoot people in the pack.
I agree with you. The mental aspect of paintball seperates the top dogs of this game to the rest of us. While you can't practice this per say, experience and understanding how to play certain scenario's is something you can practice. Running situational drills (1 v 1, 2 v 1, 3 v 2 etc), bunkering drills, running and gunning drills will help you when it comes time to play a tournament. The more you practice and drill, the more likely you are going to do better, as you have the experience of trial and error of seeing what works and what doesn't. The same goes for running scrimmages against other teams. Even if you get shot up all day, it comes down to looking at what you did wrong and adjusting so that when it comes time to play in a tournament, you don't make the same mistake. When you do these drills and understand what you can and cant do, your building muscle memory and the experience you need for when these scenarios could unfold during a game or tournament. From a divisional teams standpoint, the mental aspect of the game (lack of experience per say) can come with tons of practice and drilling and gaining chemistry as a team.

If I were running a team I would have mandatory drill days, scrimmage days, and workout days (with or w/o team). Drills are extremely important, as the more you do them, the more it becomes muscle memory and the easier it will come in a game. Drills dont have to break the bank. Snapping cones, running and gunning, and situational drills can use alot of paint, but not if you split up the paint correctly. Scrimmages are also a good way of seeing where you are as a team and what you need to do to win in a tournament, but they need to be against teams that are better than you or on the same level. Teams that are lower should either be very solid teams with less experience or a team that you want to beat up on a few weeks before a tournament to get an extra boost of confidence. Working out should be an individual thing as players have different schedules and goals they would want to achieve, but cardio should the number 1 priority (as well as core for front players).
Old 10-07-2011, 03:15 AM #5
Shecki
Clockwork Clothing

Annual Supporting Member
Shecki is a Supporting Member
Shecki plays in the PSP
Shecki owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Shecki owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Shecki supports our troops
Shecki plays in the APPA D3 division
You do get better, playing with people that are better than you. Drilling is something you can do on your own time, so take advantage of your time on the field and treat scrimages as practices...not matches. Think a little and take note of some of the things you're doing wrong. Constructive criticism goes a long way. Also...yes, conditioning is not a waste of time. It's what sepertates this from a hobby to a "sport". The guys who are spending time taking care of themselves, I'm sure find it much easier to play back to back points and so in. I was 185lbs and a 36 waist my 08 season....I was a 145lbs and a 30 waist my 09 season, and in much better shape. Needless to say....it was a dramatic difference on how I felt on the field, how I could move on the field, and most importantly...how quick I could recover after a game/point.

Original Feedback

Clockwork Clothing

For all of your printed apparel needs ! ! !
Shecki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:04 AM #6
bmoney003
187 cRew it's Murda!!

bmoney003 is a Professional paintball player
bmoney003 plays in the PSP
bmoney003 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
playing better people is not the key.

there are people and teams that are bad...get smoked and have no clue how/why they are getting smoked. this does not make you better.

why do some people rise to the top and some dont. well natural skill is one, but those that get better surround themself with better players...look for opportunity to improve and learn. they pick peoples brain, and MOST importantly...they are not afraid of failure.

Most common mistake of lower div teams...is caring about results in practice. (read into that...cheating as well) I dont know how many times i see a team whine at a rotation because the scoreboard doesnt read the correct score...who cares..its not gonna be in the papers the next day. who cares!! I LOVE getting smashed in practice cause it tells us what we need to wok on and what to fix...exactly what a practice SHOULD be. time to fine tune your game. a perfect example was a recent pre-NJO practice where we got smashed like 10-1 or 10-2 for the day. did we get upset..no ..we just figured out what we needed to do to adjust and carry it to the tournament. I think the results prove this works. Practice results dont matter unless you make them matter

Last edited by bmoney003 : 10-07-2011 at 08:10 AM.
bmoney003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:25 PM #7
Gpine94
They call me MF

Gpine94 plays in the PSP
Gpine94 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Gpine94 plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoney003 View Post
playing better people is not the key.

there are people and teams that are bad...get smoked and have no clue how/why they are getting smoked. this does not make you better.

why do some people rise to the top and some dont. well natural skill is one, but those that get better surround themself with better players...look for opportunity to improve and learn. they pick peoples brain, and MOST importantly...they are not afraid of failure.

Most common mistake of lower div teams...is caring about results in practice. (read into that...cheating as well) I dont know how many times i see a team whine at a rotation because the scoreboard doesnt read the correct score...who cares..its not gonna be in the papers the next day. who cares!! I LOVE getting smashed in practice cause it tells us what we need to wok on and what to fix...exactly what a practice SHOULD be. time to fine tune your game. a perfect example was a recent pre-NJO practice where we got smashed like 10-1 or 10-2 for the day. did we get upset..no ..we just figured out what we needed to do to adjust and carry it to the tournament. I think the results prove this works. Practice results dont matter unless you make them matter
Old 10-13-2011, 12:57 PM #8
sumorai
FRENCHIE

Annual Supporting Member
sumorai is a Supporting Member
sumorai plays in the PSP
sumorai is playing at Living Legends VII
sumorai supports our troops
sumorai has perfected Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
Getting field time to do drills instead of just doing rotations over and over is important. Having everyone show up and be in work mode, also. Natural ability, available resources (practicing with better players) are important, but you've got to want it and be willing to work hard first and foremost.

NEPb - Destructive Customs - Feedback: Old New - Stuff for sale

I am not a MacDev tech. Please do not PM me about their products. Click here instead
sumorai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:47 PM #9
Frenzy19
P@iNtB@LL3r4L!f3

Frenzy19 plays in the PSP
Frenzy19 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Frenzy19 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Frenzy19 plays in the APPA D4 division
i totally agree with ctpaintball42, drilling is an important aspect of honing in on your skills and then displaying it during scrims and tournaments. you just can't get on a field and scrim every sunday and wonder why you lost a 2 vs 3 or why the other guy snapped you out before you did him... just like any other sport, there are drills involved and you have to pick a time where you say hey this paint is for scrims and this is for drills, paintball is very expensive so it might work for some to do some drills before other teams get on and then scrim those teams to see how effective your drilling really was... of course you will get better with time... patience.
The Grind Continues!!!
Empossible Sports - Jim Pica Foto - Paintball Authority
Crossfire & Pure Energy Tanks for Sale
Frenzy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:53 PM #10
4x4 rider
Armageddon 2013

4x4 rider plays in the PSP
4x4 rider plays in the APPA D3 division
A good practice is when I see Gerry get bunkered hard . On a more serious note, a good practice involves a few things; team building, bond with your team a bit ( other than just playing together, chat it up with them get some comrotary going), learn from mistakes made on the field ( whether your winnig or loaing at practice by score you should still be learning how to improve your game, also working on your stamina doesnt hurt either (back to back points for players, running. Etc). Thats my two cents i guess.
Josh DeYoung #01
NEAA 2014

NEAA-2011 foXball Champs!

Aftermath fan club member #80
UpTon 187 cRew fan club member #15
4x4 rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:04 AM #11
KBERG
Gold Team

KBERG plays in the PSP
KBERG plays in the APPA D2 division
The best thing that ever happened to our practices was switching to playing hopper ball only, against teams fully podded up like DBS, and other local div. 2 teams. Some of the benefits I noticed included

- improvement on first shot placement
- forced players to focus on their specific jobs (get down to business or run out of paint)
- vastly improved communication skills as a team
- encouraged aggressive play
- we shot a lot less paint, saving the team a ton of money
- practices became much longer as we never ran out of paint

I'm sure this style isn't right for everyone, but it worked for us
KBERG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:10 AM #12
J. Stein

J. Stein is a Supporting Member
J. Stein is a founding member
J. Stein plays in the PSP