Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2011, 02:49 PM #1
357 Productions
www.gisportz.com
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
357 Productions is a Supporting Member
357 Productions owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
2012 Questions

Now is the time that I start working on 2012. And as in every year, I like to get in touch with you guys the players to see what YOU want.. I want your feedback. Something you like, dislike, would like to see more of, or less of or something else you like. I want to hear it. You can post it here, or please feel free to email me privately at cyndi@357productions.com.


Thank you for helping make this league for the players!


Cyndi Poole
GPL/MAPL Tournament Director
__________________
“For the Love of the Game………WE’RE BACK”
GPL
Facebook // Website
357 Productions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-11-2011, 10:24 AM #2
petedaddy
Mission Accomplished!
 
petedaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dirty Jerz
petedaddy plays in the APPA D4 division
I'd like to see the layouts be announced sooner than the week before the event. It gives those local teams more of an advantage playing it since they can go to OXCC and play it. Not everyone can make the trip there the weekend before...
petedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:59 AM #3
KdogDReapers
KCrute #93
 
KdogDReapers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bellmawr, NJ
KdogDReapers owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
KdogDReapers owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by petedaddy View Post
I'd like to see the layouts be announced sooner than the week before the event. It gives those local teams more of an advantage playing it since they can go to OXCC and play it. Not everyone can make the trip there the weekend before...
i believed they changed that a season ago on purpose pete, they did it so some teams were just doing the layout religiously weeks before hand and for the teams that couldnt afford to do the tournament and practice a bunch before hand, it almost levels the playing field or something of the sort of layout knowledge. i know that was why PSP changed it, and im assuming the same here, if not Cyndi correct me! =].

Just my .02! And good job at your first event bro!
__________________
Albany Powersurge
Playground Paintball
-Free Agent for MAPL and PSP-
KdogDReapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:22 PM #4
Deimus85
Playground Legend
 
Deimus85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: •609•
Deimus85 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Deimus85 plays in the PSP
Deimus85 is an NCPA National Champion
Deimus85 is Immortal
This league has a lot of pros going on for it, but there is still some room for improvement. I look forward to playing the GPL next season, and I hope that other teams feel the same way. In order to concisely go over how myself, my team, and others in the GPL community feel about the league, I will bullet point a pro and cons list.

Paint:
The paint quality is great, with Draxxus Silver and Valken Redemption being exceptional offerings. Thank you for listening to us and providing a refrigerated paint truck for the final event. I would hope that this continues next season.
I would also suggest that some sort of system be set in place to allow teams to place a credit card on file, and run a paint tab. It is hindering to getting a quick turn around for teams (especially in finals) with the current "pay as you go" system. A good way to prevent any mistakes or shenanigans from occurring is requiring ID's to be shown in order to prove that the paint is being picked up by the proper people and tabs are managed accurately.

Infrastructure:
OXCC is an amazing venue, with amazing condition facilities and local amenities. Air compressors fill above 4k every time, chronograph stations for tuning, etc. The people that run the tournament are always friendly and willing to help with a smile, which is awesome.

Promotion/Running divisions:
I think some serious work needs to be done in regards to this. Something needs to be figured out so that both divisions can run for every scheduled event. Whether that has to do with not scheduling close to national events, prize offerings, better promotional work, etc., a decision has to be made on how to better event attendance. There is also no excuse for cancelling an event 3 days prior to the event being held, and just saying sorry. When teams are travelling and staying at hotels to play your event, you cannot expect them to wait until the last minute to make those arrangements, vis-à-vis, we expect the league to not wait until the last minute to make a decision on not holding a tournament.

A couple of ideas on promotion:
  • Join up with the PSP as an affiliate league. It will legitimize the GPL as league, and as a result, PSP teams will want to play for experience and seeding purposes. I personally feel that this is the way tournament paintball needs to shift, back to the local events, in order for the sport to sustain into the future. It would be great if the GPL became a trailblazer in this aspect.
  • Revamp the D3 division to a race to 4 format, following D3 PSP rules in regards to player classification limits.
  • Reach out to local fields in regards to getting their home teams to play. This will probably entail releasing the layout publicly and helping to organize scrimmages on a travelling basis. You simply cannot expect to pull teams from afar to your field two weekends in a row. It is not 2007 anymore, where teams and players are willing to travel 3+ hours each way for practice. If you want teams to play at OXCC for practice, offer an incentive of some sort in regards to the practice or the event (discounted paint, free hamburgers, etc.)
  • Offer cash prizes for more than just 1st place. Tier your prize list to make financial sense for both the league and the teams playing it.

Refereeing:
Started off great with L.I.F.T. running the show, and Mr. Crim always does an amazing job running the tournament and clearing up discrepancies. I don't know what happened with losing your D1 reffing squad, and frankly it is nobodies business. However, that loss of experience needs to be compensated for. A potential ref certification clinic at the beginning of the season would be a good way to help improve this aspect of the GPL.

That is all that I can think of right now, and if I have anything else to add I will be sure to do so.

Overall, the GPL is a great local series, and I truly look forward to participating next season in the D3 division!
__________________
The Playground Paintball ParkThe PGPL
DLXValkenCaptain O-RingRaza

Playground Legends/Fast Five/Drexel University NCPA Alumni/Bulldogs Athens Millennium/Washington Winstons
Feedback

Last edited by Deimus85 : 10-11-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Deimus85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:36 PM #5
petedaddy
Mission Accomplished!
 
petedaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dirty Jerz
petedaddy plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by KdogDReapers View Post
i believed they changed that a season ago on purpose pete, they did it so some teams were just doing the layout religiously weeks before hand and for the teams that couldnt afford to do the tournament and practice a bunch before hand, it almost levels the playing field or something of the sort of layout knowledge. i know that was why PSP changed it, and im assuming the same here, if not Cyndi correct me! =].

Just my .02! And good job at your first event bro!
Hey Kyle!

How does it level the playing field if local teams get to play it while nobody else can (I'm in no way "arguing with ya' bro)?

Thanks man! It was a blast...Hooked now!
petedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:22 PM #6
yanks914
Toomey.
 
yanks914's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: 732 / 201
yanks914 plays in the PSP
yanks914 donated to help Peyton Trent
yanks914 plays in the APPA D3 division
I agree with the paint tab idea....would give teams one less thing to worry about during finals....I know that was a problem we would run into from time to time.

Also maybe have an option of paying for the season in full for a slight discount?

GPL isn't going anywhere so teams don't have to worry about losing money and it would give every event a guaranteed partial participation

Just an idea that may benefit teams playing full seasons
__________________
yanks914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:17 PM #7
FatRob610
THE KID IS BACKKKKKKKK
 
FatRob610's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: PHILLY
FatRob610 plays in the PSP
FatRob610 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
FatRob610 plays in the APPA D4 division
The only complaint I had about the event was the last event, I was reffing and it seemed like anyone shooting valken paint was having their paint not break or break in their barrels also the valken was taking it's toll on the field and was honestly denting the bunkers.
__________________

OXCC~UNDERSTOOD~PROPAINTBALL.COM~JAS Media
R.I.P NATIONAL DISASTER
FatRob610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:31 PM #8
mdskillz17
 
 
mdskillz17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
mdskillz17 plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatRob610 View Post
The only complaint I had about the event was the last event, I was reffing and it seemed like anyone shooting valken paint was having their paint not break or break in their barrels also the valken was taking it's toll on the field and was honestly denting the bunkers.
i can def agree with that, a teammate was using the draxuss paint and i was using the valken. i was shooting hotter then he was because he couldnt get his chrono to stay under 300. my gun was consistent at 285-290 all day, and i couldn't get a ball to break on the opposing team to save my life unless they were very close. the only time i got a break was down my barrel. im not sure why this happened but the paint was def hard to get to break on a body during the game.

i also 100% agree the ref's should have to go through some sort of certification prior to the season, and that who ever is running the event should take a game or 2 every now and then to make sure the refs are staying up on there job. the reffing in the beginning of the day was dead on point and then it got hotter, games were running behind schedule and the refs got hot annoyed and didnt care nearly as much. all in all great event. but theres def always room for improvement.

Paying for the season in full along with have a running paint tab are both great idea's that i would be all for. most teams play all the events anyway so if they can save a few bucks by paying it all off at once or maybe free team ID cards for paying it all at once?, then im sure you would have alot of teams paying up front...which gives them more $ for travel, paint, spending money at the event on food or new gear etc.
__________________
Ghetto Hope
Quickshot Paintball
~215~
mdskillz17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:35 PM #9
Glasswurks@verizon.n
 
 
Glasswurks@verizon.n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Coatesville,Pa
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks914 View Post
I agree with the paint tab idea....would give teams one less thing to worry about during finals....I know that was a problem we would run into from time to time.

Also maybe have an option of paying for the season in full for a slight discount?

GPL isn't going anywhere so teams don't have to worry about losing money and it would give every event a guaranteed partial participation

Just an idea that may benefit teams playing full seasons
This
__________________
BLACK CLOUD
NPPL D3
Powered by: OXCC

Support MAPL
Glasswurks@verizon.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:55 PM #10
GOMFW
 
 
GOMFW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Macungie, Pa.
GOMFW owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
What about a free agent option. Players without teams who really want to play could register as a free agent and then have some sort of system (draw names) to assemble a free agent team or teams? Might be a good way to get some new talent to show up and maybe earn a spot on a roster? Ok now let the bashing begin...
__________________
LVP South / Ballers Inc.
MT4L
GOMFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:16 PM #11
jk178206
 
 
jk178206's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Lancaster, Ohio
jk178206 owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
jk178206 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
jk178206 supports Team VICIOUS
jk178206 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
We shot Silver all weekend, and it broke great! But I watched plenty of teams shooting Valken and it was bouncing like crazy. I saw almost a whole pod go into a bunker one game and not one ball broke on the bunker.
__________________
Edmonton Impact Geo 2
jk178206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:35 PM #12
BonusBaller04
#DERVRUINSEVERYTHING
 
BonusBaller04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Long Island NY
BonusBaller04 is a Supporting Member
BonusBaller04 works for a Paintball manufacturer
BonusBaller04 plays in the USPL
BonusBaller04 plays in the PSP
BonusBaller04 plays in the APPA D1 division
For the record "what happened" with the D1 reffing squad (us) was that we compete in the NPPL and the USPA, that simple if we weren't playing we would have been reffing. We tried to help facilitate as best we can to help the events run smoothly. As far as some of your suggestions, I am talking to you Zap, they are good ones in theory. The GPL/MAPL is prob in line with the biggest tournament series similar to it ie NEPL and CFOA minus having an xball component. If you take a look at the teams we are drawing they sit somewhere in-between beginner and novice with the obvious outliers such as yourselves, evolution, minions, and I'm sure theres a few others-- those teams, outliers withstanding, don't really gain much from a PSP affiliation. I am as pro PSP as you can be but in our case I think the MAPL should remain a race to 2 league. So start barking at people to start the separate OPEN CLASS MAXL so we can smash each other all day.

- Christ
__________________
LiFt D1X
COUSINS RIVERHEAD NY
Old FEEDBACK18+/0- New Feedback 20+/0-
IPS/Planet Eclipse /UNDERSTOOD/PAINTBALL ARENA/PB187/KM/SPINE
SUPPORT THE MAPL

Trendy News PROPAINTBALL.COM

Last edited by BonusBaller04 : 10-11-2011 at 07:56 PM.
BonusBaller04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:27 PM #13
jk178206
 
 
jk178206's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Lancaster, Ohio
jk178206 owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
jk178206 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
jk178206 supports Team VICIOUS
jk178206 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Open class sounds like a great idea. Sounds like a great way for players to grow and learn. Gotta play better teams and players to be a better team/player
__________________
Edmonton Impact Geo 2
jk178206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:27 PM #14
357 Productions
www.gisportz.com
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
357 Productions is a Supporting Member
357 Productions owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by KdogDReapers View Post
i believed they changed that a season ago on purpose pete, they did it so some teams were just doing the layout religiously weeks before hand and for the teams that couldnt afford to do the tournament and practice a bunch before hand, it almost levels the playing field or something of the sort of layout knowledge. i know that was why PSP changed it, and im assuming the same here, if not Cyndi correct me! =].

Just my .02! And good job at your first event bro!
Yes you are correct
__________________
“For the Love of the Game………WE’RE BACK”
GPL
Facebook // Website
357 Productions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:30 PM #15
357 Productions
www.gisportz.com
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
357 Productions is a Supporting Member
357 Productions owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deimus85 View Post
This league has a lot of pros going on for it, but there is still some room for improvement. I look forward to playing the GPL next season, and I hope that other teams feel the same way. In order to concisely go over how myself, my team, and others in the GPL community feel about the league, I will bullet point a pro and cons list.

Paint:
The paint quality is great, with Draxxus Silver and Valken Redemption being exceptional offerings. Thank you for listening to us and providing a refrigerated paint truck for the final event. I would hope that this continues next season.
I would also suggest that some sort of system be set in place to allow teams to place a credit card on file, and run a paint tab. It is hindering to getting a quick turn around for teams (especially in finals) with the current "pay as you go" system. A good way to prevent any mistakes or shenanigans from occurring is requiring ID's to be shown in order to prove that the paint is being picked up by the proper people and tabs are managed accurately.

Infrastructure:
OXCC is an amazing venue, with amazing condition facilities and local amenities. Air compressors fill above 4k every time, chronograph stations for tuning, etc. The people that run the tournament are always friendly and willing to help with a smile, which is awesome.

Promotion/Running divisions:
I think some serious work needs to be done in regards to this. Something needs to be figured out so that both divisions can run for every scheduled event. Whether that has to do with not scheduling close to national events, prize offerings, better promotional work, etc., a decision has to be made on how to better event attendance. There is also no excuse for cancelling an event 3 days prior to the event being held, and just saying sorry. When teams are travelling and staying at hotels to play your event, you cannot expect them to wait until the last minute to make those arrangements, vis-à-vis, we expect the league to not wait until the last minute to make a decision on not holding a tournament.

A couple of ideas on promotion:
  • Join up with the PSP as an affiliate league. It will legitimize the GPL as league, and as a result, PSP teams will want to play for experience and seeding purposes. I personally feel that this is the way tournament paintball needs to shift, back to the local events, in order for the sport to sustain into the future. It would be great if the GPL became a trailblazer in this aspect.
  • Revamp the D3 division to a race to 4 format, following D3 PSP rules in regards to player classification limits.
  • Reach out to local fields in regards to getting their home teams to play. This will probably entail releasing the layout publicly and helping to organize scrimmages on a travelling basis. You simply cannot expect to pull teams from afar to your field two weekends in a row. It is not 2007 anymore, where teams and players are willing to travel 3+ hours each way for practice. If you want teams to play at OXCC for practice, offer an incentive of some sort in regards to the practice or the event (discounted paint, free hamburgers, etc.)
  • Offer cash prizes for more than just 1st place. Tier your prize list to make financial sense for both the league and the teams playing it.

Refereeing:
Started off great with L.I.F.T. running the show, and Mr. Crim always does an amazing job running the tournament and clearing up discrepancies. I don't know what happened with losing your D1 reffing squad, and frankly it is nobodies business. However, that loss of experience needs to be compensated for. A potential ref certification clinic at the beginning of the season would be a good way to help improve this aspect of the GPL.

That is all that I can think of right now, and if I have anything else to add I will be sure to do so.

Overall, the GPL is a great local series, and I truly look forward to participating next season in the D3 division!
All great ideas. I just wanted to comment on the APPA Promotion. We do abide by the PSP rankings. Becoming or joining as an affiliate doesnt change much on the promotion of rankings.. It would be the same end results. And according to the system as well, a player will not be promoted to D2 unless you physically play PSP. Nothing else. But the rankings are based on actual PSP and APPA ranking system.
__________________
“For the Love of the Game………WE’RE BACK”
GPL
Facebook // Website
357 Productions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:34 PM #16
357 Productions
www.gisportz.com
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
357 Productions is a Supporting Member
357 Productions owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
The paint tab is a good idea, but we had issues in the past. Its a long list. But you would have to show ID to put paint on a tab, sign each time so there is no question on how much was taken. The amount of time it takes would be the same, but we will take these things in consideration.
__________________
“For the Love of the Game………WE’RE BACK”
GPL
Facebook // Website
357 Productions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:36 PM #17
mdskillz17
 
 
mdskillz17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
mdskillz17 plays in the APPA D4 division
what about the possibility of paying the whole season off at once?
__________________
Ghetto Hope
Quickshot Paintball
~215~
mdskillz17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:42 PM #18
357 Productions
www.gisportz.com
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
357 Productions is a Supporting Member
357 Productions owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdskillz17 View Post
what about the possibility of paying the whole season off at once?
As far as entry we always have that option to pay for the season up front and get a discount. No one takes up on the offer though.
__________________
“For the Love of the Game………WE’RE BACK”
GPL
Facebook // Website
357 Productions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:43 PM #19
mdskillz17
 
 
mdskillz17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
mdskillz17 plays in the APPA D4 division
how much is it up front, i must have missed it on the gpl site
__________________
Ghetto Hope
Quickshot Paintball
~215~
mdskillz17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:48 PM #20
357 Productions
www.gisportz.com
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
357 Productions is a Supporting Member
357 Productions owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Its only up for a short time because then the season starts. It has been different. I will make sure to let you know what it is for 2012 when we work it all out
__________________
“For the Love of the Game………WE’RE BACK”
GPL
Facebook // Website
357 Productions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:46 AM #21
petedaddy
Mission Accomplished!
 
petedaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dirty Jerz
petedaddy plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 Productions View Post
Yes you are correct
I guess this goes back to my original point. How does it keep level if the local teams, you know, like the ones who are "homed" out of OXCC get to play the fields easier than somebody coming from NY or NJ? Nor trying to argue, just trying to better understand. Thanks!
petedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump