Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-10-2011, 02:49 PM #1
357 Productions
www.gisportz.com

357 Productions is a Supporting Member
357 Productions owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
2012 Questions

Now is the time that I start working on 2012. And as in every year, I like to get in touch with you guys the players to see what YOU want.. I want your feedback. Something you like, dislike, would like to see more of, or less of or something else you like. I want to hear it. You can post it here, or please feel free to email me privately at cyndi@357productions.com.

Thank you for helping make this league for the players!

Cyndi Poole
GPL/MAPL Tournament Director
357 Productions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-11-2011, 10:24 AM #2
petedaddy
Mission Accomplished!

petedaddy plays in the APPA D4 division
I'd like to see the layouts be announced sooner than the week before the event. It gives those local teams more of an advantage playing it since they can go to OXCC and play it. Not everyone can make the trip there the weekend before...
petedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:59 AM #3
KdogDReapers
KCrute #93

KdogDReapers owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
KdogDReapers owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by petedaddy View Post
I'd like to see the layouts be announced sooner than the week before the event. It gives those local teams more of an advantage playing it since they can go to OXCC and play it. Not everyone can make the trip there the weekend before...
i believed they changed that a season ago on purpose pete, they did it so some teams were just doing the layout religiously weeks before hand and for the teams that couldnt afford to do the tournament and practice a bunch before hand, it almost levels the playing field or something of the sort of layout knowledge. i know that was why PSP changed it, and im assuming the same here, if not Cyndi correct me! =].

Just my .02! And good job at your first event bro!
KdogDReapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:22 PM #4
Deimus85
Playground Legend

Deimus85 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Deimus85 plays in the PSP
Deimus85 is an NCPA National Champion
Deimus85 is Immortal
This league has a lot of pros going on for it, but there is still some room for improvement. I look forward to playing the GPL next season, and I hope that other teams feel the same way. In order to concisely go over how myself, my team, and others in the GPL community feel about the league, I will bullet point a pro and cons list.

Paint:
The paint quality is great, with Draxxus Silver and Valken Redemption being exceptional offerings. Thank you for listening to us and providing a refrigerated paint truck for the final event. I would hope that this continues next season.
I would also suggest that some sort of system be set in place to allow teams to place a credit card on file, and run a paint tab. It is hindering to getting a quick turn around for teams (especially in finals) with the current "pay as you go" system. A good way to prevent any mistakes or shenanigans from occurring is requiring ID's to be shown in order to prove that the paint is being picked up by the proper people and tabs are managed accurately.

Infrastructure:
OXCC is an amazing venue, with amazing condition facilities and local amenities. Air compressors fill above 4k every time, chronograph stations for tuning, etc. The people that run the tournament are always friendly and willing to help with a smile, which is awesome.

Promotion/Running divisions:
I think some serious work needs to be done in regards to this. Something needs to be figured out so that both divisions can run for every scheduled event. Whether that has to do with not scheduling close to national events, prize offerings, better promotional work, etc., a decision has to be made on how to better event attendance. There is also no excuse for cancelling an event 3 days prior to the event being held, and just saying sorry. When teams are travelling and staying at hotels to play your event, you cannot expect them to wait until the last minute to make those arrangements, vis-à-vis, we expect the league to not wait until the last minute to make a decision on not holding a tournament.

A couple of ideas on promotion:
  • Join up with the PSP as an affiliate league. It will legitimize the GPL as league, and as a result, PSP teams will want to play for experience and seeding purposes. I personally feel that this is the way tournament paintball needs to shift, back to the local events, in order for the sport to sustain into the future. It would be great if the GPL became a trailblazer in this aspect.
  • Revamp the D3 division to a race to 4 format, following D3 PSP rules in regards to player classification limits.
  • Reach out to local fields in regards to getting their home teams to play. This will probably entail releasing the layout publicly and helping to organize scrimmages on a travelling basis. You simply cannot expect to pull teams from afar to your field two weekends in a row. It is not 2007 anymore, where teams and players are willing to travel 3+ hours each way for practice. If you want teams to play at OXCC for practice, offer an incentive of some sort in regards to the practice or the event (discounted paint, free hamburgers, etc.)
  • Offer cash prizes for more than just 1st place. Tier your prize list to make financial sense for both the league and the teams playing it.

Refereeing:
Started off great with L.I.F.T. running the show, and Mr. Crim always does an amazing job running the tournament and clearing up discrepancies. I don't know what happened with losing your D1 reffing squad, and frankly it is nobodies business. However, that loss of experience needs to be compensated for. A potential ref certification clinic at the beginning of the season would be a good way to help improve this aspect of the GPL.

That is all that I can think of right now, and if I have anything else to add I will be sure to do so.

Overall, the GPL is a great local series, and I truly look forward to participating next season in the D3 division!

Playground Legends/Fast Five/Drexel University NCPA Alumni/Bulldogs Athens Millennium/Washington Winstons
Feedback

Last edited by Deimus85 : 10-11-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Deimus85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:36 PM #5
petedaddy
Mission Accomplished!

petedaddy plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by KdogDReapers View Post
i believed they changed that a season ago on purpose pete, they did it so some teams were just doing the layout religiously weeks before hand and for the teams that couldnt afford to do the tournament and practice a bunch before hand, it almost levels the playing field or something of the sort of layout knowledge. i know that was why PSP changed it, and im assuming the same here, if not Cyndi correct me! =].

Just my .02! And good job at your first event bro!
Hey Kyle!

How does it level the playing field if local teams get to play it while nobody else can (I'm in no way "arguing with ya' bro)?

Thanks man! It was a blast...Hooked now!
petedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:22 PM #6
yanks914
Toomey.

yanks914 plays in the PSP
yanks914 donated to help Peyton Trent
yanks914 plays in the APPA D3 division
I agree with the paint tab idea....would give teams one less thing to worry about during finals....I know that was a problem we would run into from time to time.

Also maybe have an option of paying for the season in full for a slight discount?

GPL isn't going anywhere so teams don't have to worry about losing money and it would give every event a guaranteed partial participation

Just an idea that may benefit teams playing full seasons
Old 10-11-2011, 03:17 PM #7
FatRob610
THE KID IS BACKKKKKKKK

FatRob610 plays in the PSP
FatRob610 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
FatRob610 plays in the APPA D4 division
The only complaint I had about the event was the last event, I was reffing and it seemed like anyone shooting valken paint was having their paint not break or break in their barrels also the valken was taking it's toll on the field and was honestly denting the bunkers.

OXCC~UNDERSTOOD~PROPAINTBALL.COM~JAS Media
R.I.P NATIONAL DISASTER
FatRob610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:31 PM #8
mdskillz17

mdskillz17 plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatRob610 View Post
The only complaint I had about the event was the last event, I was reffing and it seemed like anyone shooting valken paint was having their paint not break or break in their barrels also the valken was taking it's toll on the field and was honestly denting the bunkers.
i can def agree with that, a teammate was using the draxuss paint and i was using the valken. i was shooting hotter then he was because he couldnt get his chrono to stay under 300. my gun was consistent at 285-290 all day, and i couldn't get a ball to break on the opposing team to save my life unless they were very close. the only time i got a break was down my barrel. im not sure why this happened but the paint was def hard to get to break on a body during the game.

i also 100% agree the ref's should have to go through some sort of certification prior to the season, and that who ever is running the event should take a game or 2 every now and then to make sure the refs are staying up on there job. the reffing in the beginning of the day was dead on point and then it got hotter, games were running behind schedule and the refs got hot annoyed and didnt care nearly as much. all in all great event. but theres def always room for improvement.

Paying for the season in full along with have a running paint tab are both great idea's that i would be all for. most teams play all the events anyway so if they can save a few bucks by paying it all off at once or maybe free team ID cards for paying it all at once?, then im sure you would have alot of teams paying up front...which gives them more $ for travel, paint, spending money at the event on food or new gear etc.
mdskillz17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:35 PM #9
Glasswurks@verizon.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks914 View Post
I agree with the paint tab idea....would give teams one less thing to worry about during finals....I know that was a problem we would run into from time to time.

Also maybe have an option of paying for the season in full for a slight discount?

GPL isn't going anywhere so teams don't have to worry about losing money and it would give every event a guaranteed partial participation

Just an idea that may benefit teams playing full seasons
This