Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-04-2011, 03:02 PM #1
3eichled

VL Orion need help!

Alright, first off, i am no stranger to the workings of paintball guns. I have worked on them many times, and know the internals of both my a5 and 98 custom inside out. i also have a Spyder Pilot, so i know what a stacked-bolt looks like too.
Anyway, I recently purchased a VL orion from a friend for 20 bucks, and have big plans for it. But my problem is that it only shoots about 15 feet, 20 max. the velocity adjuster does nothing at all, but i've stripped it and lubed it and checked the o rings and everything looks fine. I would like help with this problem, but i do not want people to go "Get a better gun!" cuz i already have a couple. I only wanted this to mount it on a tank im gonna build, along with another Orion from another friend (not sure of the state of this one, haven't seen it yet). But i was wondering if this is a common problem, or if it's the barrel, or what (I've tried my spyder barrel on it, same results).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
3eichled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-04-2011, 03:23 PM #2
sumsemperfi
the fat guy

sumsemperfi has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
sumsemperfi has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
try changing the ram spring, it may have been cocked and never shot and weakened it... also make sure the plastic plug is behind that spring ie the shim,and that should fix it.. if i were u id buy a spyder shim kit and a spyder spring kit w the valve springs and ram springs.. that should fix it all..
Old 10-04-2011, 04:25 PM #3
3eichled

Thank you! ill try that if i can find the money. Are paintball springs a diffferent temper from springs at the hardware store? i have a LOAD of springs from Harbor Freight. Would they work?
Old 10-04-2011, 06:12 PM #4
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
Check the bolt. A very, very common mistake is to install the bolt upside-down. The air passage way to go from the valve to the front of the bolt only goes to one side of the bolt, and if it's upside-down very little air can make it out the bolt, leading to balls rolling out of the barrel.

Second thing to check, though this usually also causes the gun to fail to recock, is the placement of the hammer bumper. Big square o-ring looking thing, that should go between the hammer and velocity adjuster. Often people will accidentally put it in front of the hammer. This prevents the hammer from hitting the valve properly, so the valve isn't opened all the way, leading to shots rolling out of the barrel.

000110 200 11202 10 000020
012211 021 22110 22 121101
222001 222 10220 00 022212
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:10 PM #5
3eichled

Fubarius, it does in fact fire. bolt's fine. I also checked that o-ring thingey, it's fine too. my problem is it just doesn't go far.
By the way, how can you install the bolt upside down with the connector rod in it like that?
Old 10-05-2011, 05:50 PM #6
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
I was thinking of the Orion II actually (top cocking design). Come to think of it the original Orion is one of the few VL/BE guns with a fixed bolt linkage pin. Most newer ones are top cocking, older ones had a linkage pin that dropped into place through a hole in the top of the body. Upside-down bolts happened all the fricken time on those, so it's instinctively the first thing I check. The most recent designs had a tapered cocking rod so they only fit through the bolt one direction just to prevent this. The generation before had "top" laser engraved on the top side of the bolt.

Still sounds like air isn't getting to the bolt. Check the valve. It may have gotten rotated. Also check to see if anything is obstructing the air flow on the top of the valve or in the port in the body.

One unlikely possibility, but one that happened to me when doing some experimenting a while back, is that someone swapped valves with a spyder. The valve pin is a bit too long on a spyder valve, so the valve gets hit and the gun recocks before the port in the bolt lines up with the port in the body. Recocks extremely reliably (down to below 200psi even), but no velocity.

The stock orion valve should be brass, with a rather small diameter valve pin. If it's steel with a larger valve pin, then it's a spyder valve and the valve pin needs to be shortened a bit.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:58 AM #7
3eichled

Alright, found the problem: there's a thing (have no idea what it's called) in the rear spring, it's supposed to face backwards, not forwards intot he bolt. With hoe it was (someone else put it like this, not me) it shot at a velocity lower than is normally humanly possible. so i flipped it around and now it works fine. before the velocity adjustment screw did nothing.

on a side not, i also have that second orion: it had the same problem, but the thing was missing entirely, so i made one out of a bolt. I also got a Triton II from that same friend. and someone, when taking the Triton II apart, had put the valve pin in BACKWARDS, shoving in the circular peice of plastic attached to it. so i fixed that.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:53 PM #8
BWM XPERT (Banned)

lol nice
BWM XPERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:14 PM #9
melkson
Raptor Guru

What you are talking about is the 'Spring guide', and yeah with that missing (or in backwards) the RVA (rear velocity adjuster) does nothing.

Good job on fixing it.
melkson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:32 PM #10
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
Cool, a problem I hadn't seen yet.

(really, it's getting kind of rare these days)

Great job!

Old 11-27-2011, 07:30 PM #11
returnofmike
Returning PB rookie

vl orion whats your plans for it
returnofmike is offline   Reply With Quote