Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2011, 03:06 PM #64
John
Straight shooter with upper management written all over him.
 
John's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: STL
Annual Supporting Member
John is an Administrator
John is playing at Living Legends VII
John has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
John is a PbNation video producer
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBShellshocked View Post
I still like the idea of the scout being a pump player.
So you are saying two pumps per team? Because I couldn't be more against merging the Scout and Sniper rolls.

I guess I could see limiting the Scout to a mech gun and keeping the Sniper roll as is.
__________________
Your questions are answered in the PbNation FAQ. Ask a Mod.
We deserve better villains.
"I have not seen an automag shot in anger in 10 years." Tom Cole
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:40 PM #65
onepumpchump13
Total Greif #13
 
onepumpchump13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Boo 2 pumps...
SNIPER = Pump
Scout = Mech
Heavy = No limits bps or fire type
Infantry = 10bps

1 Xtra minute added to time on resets to load and wipe off hits
Digging the hooch idea for points OR bodies.
__________________
Friends off field - Friends on the field - @ 10 seconds you become Nameless, Faceless and my Enemy.

http://www.xtremepaintballpark.com/
http://www.chipleymachine.com/
http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1809223332
onepumpchump13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:26 PM #66
JOESPUD27
Merc
 
JOESPUD27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: St. Louis Area
 has been a member for 10 years
JOESPUD27 is playing at Living Legends III
JOESPUD27 is playing at Living Legends VII
JOESPUD27 plays in the APPA D5 division
I can't read well.

Mech guns should use whatever loader they want. Put a rotor on a phantom.

Jay

Last edited by JOESPUD27 : 10-05-2011 at 04:50 PM.
JOESPUD27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:14 PM #67
onepumpchump13
Total Greif #13
 
onepumpchump13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOESPUD27 View Post
I can't read well.

Mech guns should use whatever loader they want. Put a rotor on a phantom.

Jay
Play 1st Critique 2nd

Agreed though mech's should use w/e hopper they want
__________________
Friends off field - Friends on the field - @ 10 seconds you become Nameless, Faceless and my Enemy.

http://www.xtremepaintballpark.com/
http://www.chipleymachine.com/
http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1809223332
onepumpchump13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:19 PM #68
JOESPUD27
Merc
 
JOESPUD27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: St. Louis Area
 has been a member for 10 years
JOESPUD27 is playing at Living Legends III
JOESPUD27 is playing at Living Legends VII
JOESPUD27 plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by onepumpchump13 View Post
Play 1st Critique 2nd
UWL will be the only tournament series I play in 2012. Just voicing my 2 cents.

Jay
JOESPUD27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:46 PM #69
L.I.Caretaker
 
 
L.I.Caretaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
L.I.Caretaker is a Supporting Member
After playing a few UWLs,,here's my 2 cents....I've been playing woodsball for 25 years,,The Master Blasters have a long tradition.

1...Get rid of radios...I personally witnessed while in Deadbox ( Not My Games) watching 2 high profile teams ALL talk..Dead or not....Stright up player placement,,Deadmen talking to live players while in route to Dead Box..

2... ZONE judging....Again I was using judges to spot players...They were given players away Like eggs on easter..You couldn't crawl due to fact you had a rookie judge EYEING you...It was great..But bad for game..

3..Rule Changing....Finalize all rule changes 3 days out...Not morning of game...The Blasters flew from NY to Cali...All rockin Revvi's as per rules...Only to be faced againsnt Rotors with guns capped...Now i wasn't born yesterday.. 12 Ball Gravity feed Revvis against 12 Ball FORCE feed deos make a differenece..An when your playing only 4 games 1 games does matter..

4..SCORE Table.....Should not be a mystery...Captains should have final score within a specific amount of time after game...In Pa it was there ready when there ready ...

I'm a HUGE fan of UWL....The Blasters will be playing in 2012...But rules need to be addressed an no hidden surprises...The format is perfect,,BPS can be lowered so it doesnt become speedball in woods..MORE judges can be added..12 per field should be a min....EYES need to be everywere..Were playing in Mud,dirt,sand...Shoots vanish when a reff isn't close by...Lets not let game become full of covert cheating....
__________________
MASTER BLASTERS TRAVELING ROAD SHOW
2013 UWL PRO Overall Champs
NELSON PAINTBALLS..........

ALLEN PAINTBALL COMPANY...
..
HABER......foging is not at Option
Cousins...PSI...Meadowlands...Ground Assault....Battle Creek
L.I.Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:01 PM #70
L.I.Caretaker
 
 
L.I.Caretaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
L.I.Caretaker is a Supporting Member
Just read this...................Ramping...come on now...Reffs sleeping....Or another last min rule change

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3685192
__________________
MASTER BLASTERS TRAVELING ROAD SHOW
2013 UWL PRO Overall Champs
NELSON PAINTBALLS..........

ALLEN PAINTBALL COMPANY...
..
HABER......foging is not at Option
Cousins...PSI...Meadowlands...Ground Assault....Battle Creek
L.I.Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:26 PM #71
onepumpchump13
Total Greif #13
 
onepumpchump13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOESPUD27 View Post
UWL will be the only tournament series I play in 2012. Just voicing my 2 cents.

Jay

=) do what you do =) I still stand by the Play 1st theory

.the best source of knowledge is experience.

A suggestion from the sideline could have an adverse effect on gameplay on the field though.

The Xtra time when getting ready on the resets is more forgiving to the heavier and/or more distinguished players, Even the fit ones. Hate to see UWL limit its fanbase or participants to just the young and super fit. It would lose more than gain.

The dynamic of giving the scout a mech makes it more of a foot race and a strategic play, rather than a run up there and spray. <WHICH I did see A LOT more this year.>

I played Scout last year on multiple lines with a pump and never felt out gunned. To include Master Blasters =) It would make him/her less controlling but still completly effective for their catagory/classification.

I love this Format and may be taking this topic more serious than I should. This is with good reason though. I have watched paintball make its turn to what it is now, and think that this series is just what it needs to get it back the way it should be. I really hope this series turns into the most popular format, bridging the gap that exists between rec ball and mainstream touraments right now.

Before it was the mainstream Tourney side that was missing. Everyone went running out of the woods trying to get the spotlight and make it what it is now. Well you have it now, and it's time to get the gap filled that was left.
__________________
Friends off field - Friends on the field - @ 10 seconds you become Nameless, Faceless and my Enemy.

http://www.xtremepaintballpark.com/
http://www.chipleymachine.com/
http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1809223332

Last edited by onepumpchump13 : 10-05-2011 at 06:38 PM.
onepumpchump13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:30 PM #72
JOESPUD27
Merc
 
JOESPUD27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: St. Louis Area
 has been a member for 10 years
JOESPUD27 is playing at Living Legends III
JOESPUD27 is playing at Living Legends VII
JOESPUD27 plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by onepumpchump13 View Post
I love this Format and may be taking this topic more serious than I should. This is with good reason though. I have watched paintball make its turn to what it is now, and think that this series is just what it needs to get it back the way it should be. I really hope this series turns into the most popular format, bridging the gap that exists between rec ball and mainstream touraments right now.

Before it was the mainstream Tourney side tha twas missing. Everyone went running out of the woods trying to get the spotligh and make it what it is now. Well you have it now and it's time to get the gap filled that was left.
This.

And I think you can ramp...as a heavy gunner. (Any gun/mode/loader).

Jay
JOESPUD27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:51 PM #73
shadowlord06
The Hobbit
 
shadowlord06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Western PA
shadowlord06 supports Team VICIOUS
shadowlord06 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
shadowlord06 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
shadowlord06 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
shadowlord06 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeyfoy View Post
I like the other rules how they are.. The bodies at the flip is a good trade off if you would prefer a side over them.. I know in PA last year one side of the field was running straight up hill (worse than Chicago) so you wanted to be at the top side to get more field position.
That was horrible. I hated playing scout for that event, as we were always on the bottom side.
The suggestions are great and hopefully Ronin Brotherhood (formerly Band of Brothers) can start competing in the UWL again.
__________________
Ronin Brotherhood
shadowlord06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:12 PM #74
Alpha {MWB}
 
 
Alpha {MWB}'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Omaha
Alpha {MWB} is playing at Living Legends VII
Man do i Love what i see here. I love the Conversation and the depth of insight. MWB has been with the UWL for 3 years now and we LOVE it. The death of the Skills division was hard for us, but it is understandable. The quality of the teams in this league continues to rise every year. I am excited for next year no matter the route we take.
I like the Mech Scout idea, but that is a "skills division" lover talkin.
10 bps seems good, but honestly i don't know if i could tell the difference, much less fight hard for one or the other.
The paint restriction idea is one i realize isn't hugely popular. But then again i don't think it would effect MOST players in the UWL. If it were say a limit of 800, maybe 1000 rounds per player. That is a hopper and 5-7 pods. Again, maybe it is because i am a "skills Division" junkie, but i don't even come CLOSE to using that. In a game if i do use all 4 my pods, my hopper is full at the end of the game.
Padding has to be addressed... Get rid of the rule and let pillows waddle through the woods, or enforce the rule. Simple. I understand ball bounces happening every once and a while. But i have noticed more and more the players in the HOT summer sun bundled up like it was going to be 40 degrees and windy.
Rockets haven'y really bothered me. We have utilized them, and other time totally ditched the idea. I would say the rule is at a good balance right now.
Radio's? Seriously talkin about ditching these things? No way. Let the teams that know how to use em do it, cuz its great.
__________________
Muddy Water Boys
www.muddywaterboys.com
UWL Proud---Read up, gear up, sign up www.playuwl.com
Rockin Lapco Only
Want the best? Go for it! Want the looks? Go for it! Lapco Barrels
Omaha's Premier Paintball Field = Mad Cow Paintball
Alpha {MWB} is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:13 PM #75
nePhantom
I love my Cheese
 
nePhantom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Omaha, NE
I would love to see an ammo cap. Something like 500 rounds for infantry, unlimited for heavy, 100 for sniper, and 500 for scout and captain. It would cut down on laning, shooting ropes, and "speedball in the woods"
__________________
Scout : Muddy Water Boys Paintball www.muddywaterboys.com
LAPCO Sponsored!! www.lapcopaintball.com
Mad Cow Paintball www.madcowpaintball.com
Originally quoted from Gizmo: "If Milan lost, I was prepared to be belligerent."
nePhantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:24 PM #76
Hoot {MWB}
 
 
Hoot {MWB}'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Omaha:NE
Man, I got to say this is encouraging to me. Seeing all of this talk about lowering 12bps to 10bps. Count me in 100%.

Our team has been having this discussion the past couple months. We joined the UWL when it started because of one reason...the Skills Division. We finally had a chance to compete in a mechanical league. It certainly fit our playing style. With the death of the Skills Division, we have been forced to try and adapt our play style to the evolving UWL. While I grant that good teams must always be willing to adapt, to me it just hasn't been as fun. Trying to run in Open at Nebraska equaled us losing every single game. Some of the teams we played, it seemed like every guy on their squad was a Heavy lol. We've tried to get some faster shooters on our tournie team to try and keep up with the paint barrage, but many of us are out of our element. Nerd fact: in our previous two years in the league, our Skills team was 7-0 against Open teams. In 2011 we went 0-4 against them. Competition in the league has jumped up, but the speed of the game and the amount of paint flying has also increased.

Of course, this is the ULTIMATE Woodsball League. Where you pit Team A against Team B. Which play style wins the day? The best of the best. I get that. If you wanted to be extreme, you could pit a team full of Heavy positions Vs. a team full of Snipers with pumps. Which style is better? You don't do that because you try to balance the game, make it enjoyable and fun for everyone. We all know you can never please everyone, but there are certain markets/crowds/players you should try to listen to.

My opinion: unless something is done about the bps in the game, I think you are going to lose and/or deter your more traditional woodsball teams. No doubt, the Pro speedball market is where the big attention is focused, and when you bring in those elite caliber teams they bring their play style with them. The UWL has to decide which path it wants to take. If you want to attract both markets, you need to find a balance.

1) I'm all for 10bps. Paint restrictions would be decent for a lower division, but I don't know if there would be enough legit interest for that.

2) The more mech guns on the field, the better.

3) I love making Sniper a pump or pistol only.

4) The idea of making Scout a pump is also interesting. I had never thought of that. It would certainly change the game dynamic off the break.

5) I would be in favor of less rockets on the field. 4-5 seem plenty to me.

6) Padding HAS to be addressed. It's getting ridiculous.
__________________
Muddy Water Boys.
Jake Hansen

UWL Junkie: www.playuwl.com
Proudly Sponsored by Lapco: http://lapcopaintball.com/store/
"Not the victory but the action; Not the goal but the game; In the deed the glory"
www.muddywaterboys.com

Last edited by Hoot {MWB} : 10-05-2011 at 11:33 PM.
Hoot {MWB} is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:36 PM #77
DBShellshocked
 
 
DBShellshocked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
padding should be same as psp/nppl:

If you have padding on (elbow pads and a padded shirt) then you are not allowed to have padding of any sort in your jersey.

You are allowed 2 layers on your head (2 headwraps/sandana's or 1 stocking hat which counts as 2 layers)

Kneepads are allowed obviously b/c none of us really want to jab our knees into rocks and roots etc with no padding, we've done it and hence us wearing padding on the knees.

would that be considered acceptable?

Also 10.5 and 12.5 is marginally different. It's really not that noticable, and I don't think it would really affect the play of the game that much... but i'm still against any sort of marker having any advantage whether mechanical or not..... I also think handicapping the scout's rof further would make the game a little more fun for the weaker teams (or the teams that just haven't figured out how to use their scout correct).

I would NEVER get rid of the sniper role, idk if my ideas aren't coming across as clear but when i said make the scout a pump player too I meant in addition to the sniper not in replace of. I was our sniper for 2 UWL seasons, love me some sniper and some of my best memories are a result.



limiting ammo..... absolutely not. takes away strategy from the game, and if that happened you'd lose at least HALF the teams if not more... and if that happens the league dies. There are a few guys on our team that only shoot a couple pods a game, but that's because the rest of us are shooting 15-20 a game holding people down so our guys can move or whatever it may be for the circumstance. Not to be the negative Nancy but you get what I'm saying?
__________________
Chicago Underground
BBT
BADLANDZ

Last edited by DBShellshocked : 10-05-2011 at 11:47 PM.
DBShellshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:59 PM #78
DBShellshocked
 
 
DBShellshocked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
also, if you're team is having issues whether it be in skill or strategy... perhaps consult other teams or people offering their help who have proven themselves in some sort of competitive woodsball format.
__________________
Chicago Underground
BBT
BADLANDZ
DBShellshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:28 AM #79
Hoot {MWB}
 
 
Hoot {MWB}'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Omaha:NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBShellshocked View Post
also, if you're team is having issues whether it be in skill or strategy... perhaps consult other teams or people offering their help who have proven themselves in some sort of competitive woodsball format.
lol thanks for the advice.
__________________
Muddy Water Boys.
Jake Hansen

UWL Junkie: www.playuwl.com
Proudly Sponsored by Lapco: http://lapcopaintball.com/store/
"Not the victory but the action; Not the goal but the game; In the deed the glory"
www.muddywaterboys.com
Hoot {MWB} is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:22 AM #80
DBShellshocked
 
 
DBShellshocked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot {MWB} View Post
lol thanks for the advice.
LOL wasn't meant specifically toward you, just a general rule of thumb. There are plenty of people out there that will tell you how to approach practicing for an event, or the strategy to use to help gain advantages in certain situations. I'd even be willing to help (we are 7-0 over the course of the last 2 chicago UWL's- open div and tactical) so I'm sure there'd be a thing or two you could pick up.
__________________
Chicago Underground
BBT
BADLANDZ
DBShellshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:24 AM #81
nePhantom
I love my Cheese
 
nePhantom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Omaha, NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBShellshocked View Post

limiting ammo..... absolutely not. takes away strategy from the game, and if that happened you'd lose at least HALF the teams if not more... and if that happens the league dies. There are a few guys on our team that only shoot a couple pods a game, but that's because the rest of us are shooting 15-20 a game holding people down so our guys can move or whatever it may be for the circumstance. Not to be the negative Nancy but you get what I'm saying?
IMO it doesnt take 15-20 pods to hold someone down to make a move. Strategy in the game is on runs and bunker position, not how much paint people can shoot. UWL wasnt supposed to be speedball in the woods, that was the whole point of it. Have you ever played where people arent just wasting cases of paint on bunkers? Its really fun.
__________________
Scout : Muddy Water Boys Paintball www.muddywaterboys.com
LAPCO Sponsored!! www.lapcopaintball.com
Mad Cow Paintball www.madcowpaintball.com
Originally quoted from Gizmo: "If Milan lost, I was prepared to be belligerent."
nePhantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:25 AM #82
nePhantom
I love my Cheese
 
nePhantom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Omaha, NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot {MWB} View Post
lol thanks for the advice.
I also lol'd
__________________
Scout : Muddy Water Boys Paintball www.muddywaterboys.com
LAPCO Sponsored!! www.lapcopaintball.com
Mad Cow Paintball www.madcowpaintball.com
Originally quoted from Gizmo: "If Milan lost, I was prepared to be belligerent."
nePhantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:26 AM #83
JOESPUD27
Merc
 
JOESPUD27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: St. Louis Area
 has been a member for 10 years
JOESPUD27 is playing at Living Legends III
JOESPUD27 is playing at Living Legends VII
JOESPUD27 plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot {MWB} View Post
Man, I got to say this is encouraging to me. Seeing all of this talk about lowering 12bps to 10bps. Count me in 100%.

Our team has been having this discussion the past couple months. We joined the UWL when it started because of one reason...the Skills Division. We finally had a chance to compete in a mechanical league. It certainly fit our playing style. With the death of the Skills Division, we have been forced to try and adapt our play style to the evolving UWL. While I grant that good teams must always be willing to adapt, to me it just hasn't been as fun. Trying to run in Open at Nebraska equaled us losing every single game. Some of the teams we played, it seemed like every guy on their squad was a Heavy lol. We've tried to get some faster shooters on our tournie team to try and keep up with the paint barrage, but many of us are out of our element. Nerd fact: in our previous two years in the league, our Skills team was 7-0 against Open teams. In 2011 we went 0-4 against them. Competition in the league has jumped up, but the speed of the game and the amount of paint flying has also increased.

Of course, this is the ULTIMATE Woodsball League. Where you pit Team A against Team B. Which play style wins the day? The best of the best. I get that. If you wanted to be extreme, you could pit a team full of Heavy positions Vs. a team full of Snipers with pumps. Which style is better? You don't do that because you try to balance the game, make it enjoyable and fun for everyone. We all know you can never please everyone, but there are certain markets/crowds/players you should try to listen to.

My opinion: unless something is done about the bps in the game, I think you are going to lose and/or deter your more traditional woodsball teams. No doubt, the Pro speedball market is where the big attention is focused, and when you bring in those elite caliber teams they bring their play style with them. The UWL has to decide which path it wants to take. If you want to attract both markets, you need to find a balance.

1) I'm all for 10bps. Paint restrictions would be decent for a lower division, but I don't know if there would be enough legit interest for that.

2) The more mech guns on the field, the better.

3) I love making Sniper a pump or pistol only.

4) The idea of making Scout a pump is also interesting. I had never thought of that. It would certainly change the game dynamic off the break.

5) I would be in favor of less rockets on the field. 4-5 seem plenty to me.

6) Padding HAS to be addressed. It's getting ridiculous.
Good stuff.

Jay
JOESPUD27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:33 AM #84
bctom1776
UWL and PSP General Manager
 
bctom1776's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
I would like to thank you guys for doing this. Your input is what we are looking for. I would also like to thank PBnation for helping bring this talk together.


I will post what we are thinking of changing later today.

thanks again
bctom1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump